• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring has the longest load times I've experienced on an Xbox Series game to date. I swear some load times feel damn near 20 seconds (I know it's probably not that long). Series X/S might not have the fastest SSD, but I feel like it shouldn't be quite this bad. Kinda envious how quickly PS5 and PC players can jump back into a boss fight after a death.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
How is the Series X version performance worse than PS5 when they are the same resolution? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Edit: Load times are drastically worse too, when it shouldn't be so stark. Xbox versions haven't received the same level of optimisation?

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I already had the PS5 version already downloaded, but these impressions of playing the PS4 version on the PS5, with low load times, a rock solid 60 fps, and still looking great, has swayed me to download the PS4 version as well. I'll check both of them out tomorrow and go from there.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From a gameplay perspective, it seems playing the PS4 version on a PS5 is the way to go, especially when you have a horse.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
And what about the devs role in this ? They conceived, designed, coded and released this game in this state. They're responsible for making sure the game that they themselves created, runs and works properly full stop.
Oh no I fully blame devs too it should have a locked mode for obviously on PlayStation since Sony can't be bothered to offer a basic feature like VRR.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring has the longest load times I've experienced on an Xbox Series game to date. I swear some load times feel damn near 20 seconds (I know it's probably not that long). Series X/S might not have the fastest SSD, but I feel like it shouldn't be quite this bad. Kinda envious how quickly PS5 and PC players can jump back into a boss fight after a death.

Yea it's close to 20, around 17.8 to be exact while PS5 is loading in at 6.3. I must say PS5 being 3x faster is kind of odd.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is it? PS5 SSD has 2.3x the throughput of Series X/S, so it tracks that pretty well.
Yeah, but both systems only have 16 GB of RAM, so after 2.9 secs on PS5 or 6.67 secs on the XSX they've read as much data as they could possibly fit anywhere at 5500 MB/s and 2400 MB/s respectively -- so if it takes 6.6 seconds on the PS5 to load, that implies around 3.7 seconds of CPU work in addition to the SSD read for a load, but the XSX doesn't finish the load until the 18 second mark implying something like > 11 seconds waiting on the CPU.

The XSX CPU isn't twice as slow, so that doesn't explain the bigger differential past the 6.67 mark vs the 2.9 second mark on the PS5. There's something wildly inefficient happening here.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
why the fuck is a cross gen game taking 20 seconds to load on XSX?

yikes

I guess VRR is still the reason im going XSX over PS5

but thats awful when PS5 is loading at like 6-8 seconds and is a full 13 seconds faster lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game on XSS. Tbh this is the first game that makes me regret my purchase of XSS - frame rate is definitely less than 60, and its pretty noticeable IMO. Maybe fixable with a patch, but either way, really missing out on an XSX right about now.

Don't worry the X ain't helping there either.

The load times are not good either. From Soft really dropped the ball in some way for like every platform, lol.

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
Yeah, but both systems only have 16 GB of RAM, so after 2.9 secs on PS5 or 6.67 secs on the XSX they've read as much data as they could possibly fit anywhere at 5500 MB/s and 2400 MB/s respectively -- so if it takes 6.6 seconds on the PS5 to load, that implies around 3.7 seconds of CPU work in addition to the SSD read for a load, but the XSX doesn't finish the load until the 18 second mark implying something like > 11 seconds waiting on the CPU.

The XSX CPU isn't twice as slow, so that doesn't explain the bigger differential past the 6.67 mark vs the 2.9 second mark on the PS5. There's something wildly inefficient happening here.

Maybe assets are Kraken compressed, and its software vs hardware decompression causing the difference.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So any final consensus for ps5 vs série x + vrr ? Already bought on ps5 but don't care souple dipping if it's better
Play it on PS5 first and think on how distracting the performance really is for you.

I've been playing on Series X without VRR and the performance has been very spotty, but nothing that impairs my gameplay so far. I'm learning to live with it, like with BoTW at launch.

If you have a VRR screen then Series X will feel the smoothest, otherwise the PS5 version seems to have better perf, try it out

Etheid0n

Nov 29, 2020
I'm pretty underwhelmed with the graphics so far when watching gameplay videos. After playing demon's souls remake it looks like a downgrade. Am I wrong?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe assets are Kraken compressed, and its software vs hardware decompression causing the difference.
Could be, although I'd call that "wildly inefficient" since Xbox has its own compressed asset format hardware which iirc the GPU speaks directly, it'd be hard to see how they'd end up rolling their own compression alg on the CPU vs using the built-in option.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
See a lot of "PS4 on PS5 performance ", but is there any details on actual PS4 version performance?

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I played the series x version for an hour on a non vrr display and yes its unstable but no it doesn't impact my enjoyment.

The last souls game i played was dark souls 3 on the ps4pro and its a similar experience but of course this game looks so much better.

Dont get mad about damn numbers and graphs we know fromsoftware won't do shit about it.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. If I really can't deal with the PS5 performance (and I don't think that will be the case) will my save work on the PS4 version? I just got a PS5 and I have no idea how the BC stuff works.
I'm not 100% sure but pretty sure save only goes from ps4->ps5. And you can't load a ps5 save on ps4.
I have both installed but haven't tested that yet.

Only mucked around briefly to test out the versions and forgot how much I missed the atmosphere and sense of dread as well as anticipation of what's around the corner in form games. Also forgot how fun just smashing crates and barrels are.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
All this talk of performance and I'm here just hoping FedEx actually delivers my collectors edition on time tomorrow!

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I'm pretty underwhelmed with the graphics so far when watching gameplay videos. After playing demon's souls remake it looks like a downgrade. Am I wrong?

Graphics has never really been Froms thing. They have incredible art design and use of shadow/colour, but graphically on a technical level the games are never great. Also Demons Souls was made by Bluepoint with the intent on making it as nice as possible for only one console, a bit easier to optimise.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can you freely swap between using the same save on the PS4 and PS5 versions or is it a one way trip?

Etheid0n

Nov 29, 2020
Graphics has never really been Froms thing. They have incredible art design and use of shadow/colour, but graphically on a technical level the games are never great. Also Demons Souls was made by Bluepoint with the intent on making it as nice as possible for only one console, a bit easier to optimise.

Fair enough. Im excited about playing elden ring, just was hoping for a bigger bump on the series x or ps5.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I'm just gonna play on PS5.

N64 is my favorite console and those games all run at like 20 FPS. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
After trying PS5 ver and PS4 ver in back compat (haven't tried PC ver yet, will do so in the morning).
I will say between the two the PS4 ver in back compat is the way to play the game....it actually has less pop in (yes it also has less detail but it's mainly in just grass density, and still the grass seems evenly spread rather than sparse patches here and there. But the important thing is PS4 ver in back compat doesn't seem to have weird texture loading bugs like this and it runs at locked 60.

A note about below comparison, the ToD is different between the two. If you match the ToD the lighting will look the same between the two, the lighting diff in these videos is not due to graphics.

PS5 ver

PS4 ver in back compat

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
After trying PS5 ver and PS4 ver in back compat (haven't tried PC ver yet, will do so in the morning).
I will say between the two the PS4 ver in back compat is the way to play the game....it actually has less pop in (yes it also has less detail but it's mainly in just grass density, and still the grass seems evenly spread rather than sparse patches here and there. But the important thing is PS4 ver in back compat doesn't seem to have weird texture loading bugs like this and it runs at locked 60.

A note about below comparison, the ToD is different between the two. If you match the ToD the lighting will look the same between the two, the lighting diff in these videos is not due to graphics.

How do the load time compare between PS5 native and PS4 BC?

Last edited:

vicarino

Aug 31, 2019
Hey but let's keep giving them credit for how genius their games and ignore the fact that non of their games have ever performed well.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like playing the PS4 version until the VRR update comes out is the way to go (for me). I need locked 60fps.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

PS5 ver

PS4 ver in back compat

that PS5 grass looks fuckin good though

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PC version sounds bloody rough. No ultrawide mode, no FPS above 60, frame pacing issues and asset loading difficulties make it seem utterly pointless to buy the game. How on earth could you let a game come out like that, let alone reviews be astonishing for the technical horrors?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of shocked there is no improvement on frame rate across the board with the day 1 patch. Wonder what the patch actually does then?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

PS5 ver

PS4 ver in back compat

Is the load times on the PS4 version on PS5 BC okayish?

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Oh no I fully blame devs too it should have a locked mode for obviously on PlayStation since Sony can't be bothered to offer a basic feature like VRR.

I agree that the ps5 should have vrr by now, it definitely has its uses. Among a few other features it sorely needs, FOLDERS anyone?
I just think the onus for a game running acceptably should go on the devs first and foremost.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
when you are stuttering while you are fighting a boss.....
This is what sealed using the PS4 version in BC PS5 mode for me. I saw that IGN video with PS4 60 frames locked on the PS5, thought about dropping frames during a boss battle or riding around on horseback, and decided to go the PS4 on PS5 route while waiting for more patches. It still looks great too.

Oct 25, 2017
how did the loading times get worse on Xbox Series X/S compared to the network test? if i''m not mistaken PS5 was around half the time of Xbox Series X/S but from the comments i read PS5 is now 3 times faster than Series X/S? anyone got a video comparing loading times after 1.02?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
that PS5 grass looks fuckin good though
It also disappears and pops in 5m away from you.

How do the load time compare between PS5 native and PS4 BC?

Is the load times on the PS4 version on PS5 BC okayish?
Honestly it's low enough that it didn't even occur to me that there would've been a difference due to PS5's SSD until you two brought it up.
Basically it's something you can ignore.

EDIT: I just did a comparison from fresh start. Menu to ingame for the first area Limgrave

PS4 (in back compat mode): 10 seconds
PS5: 7 seconds

Last edited: