• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on. Especially in a game like this you don't want crashes. It's kinda mind-boggling people find it acceptable just because "it is a huge game". I wonder if it would be the same defence if it would be a Ubi game.

It's pretty common for games to have some crashing issues on release day. I have had several crashes in Horizon and Pokemon Legends Arceus recently. It sucks but it is what it is.

The more concerning part is the frequent micro-stutters, that can really take me out of being immersed in a game. I bought a copy on GMG a long time ago for a big discount, but if it gets really intolerable I may have to switch over to console. Alternatively, may end up switching back to Horizon for a bit to wait for a performance patch if it is too bad.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
"Especially in a game like this"? Souls games autosave like constantly. Crashes suck and I hate when people downplay them because I hate losing progress any time it happens, but this is one series where the crashes actually WON'T lose you a lot of progress.
I meant because you are sucked into this world and always on the edge, being thrown out, ouit of nowhere is distracting.
(Sorry should have elaborated)

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I meant because you are sucked into this world and always on the edge, being thrown out, ouit of nowhere is distracting.
(Sorry should have elaborated)
Fair enough. I also considered afterwards how pissed off I would be if I had a crash during a tense fight, that would be a nightmare. Wasn't refuting that crashes suck, just wanted that elaboration which you provided lol.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
As I said in the other thread, straight up embarrassing, as are the people hand waving this because "VRR displays".

Exactly. It's fucking stupid to expect people to buy brand new tvs with a still new and niche feature to make up for devs who can't or won't optimize their games properly.
Especially when people like me have 4k sets with hdr and dolby vision and great picture quality.
I'm not against the idea of vrr, I think it's a good thing. But I dont want it to be used it as a crutch when devs could avoid framerate issues in the first place.
And From while absolutely brilliant at game design, have had years to get up to snuff on the technical side of things and havent come close apparently.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Not sure if I just somehow missed the answer skimming through this thread but…

What is the difference in between Performance mode and Quality mode on the PS5? Is it just resolution?

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'm going to go with the ps5 over my series x on my cx, even though it has vrr. My new ps5 scuf reflex pro is enroute and I'm stoked to put those paddles to work.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
So is the PS5 version still the one to go for between XSX/PS5 if we don't have VRR display?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
huh, according to PCGamer, the day one patch actually helped a lot:

rPpnUp1.gif

What the hell is going on man? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
DF on PC version: up to 250 ms stutters for new objects/effects/areas, frametime issues, issues that affect all hardware configurations under all settings, drops from 60 to 40, plus stuttering that is absent on consoles

console: neither console offers consistent 60FPS in any mode

lul

Bento

Dec 4, 2017
Bah, these impressions have made my choice of platform a lot harder. I was going to go with the PC version for my i5 6600K and 1060 GTX (6 gb) card mostly for the SSD storage I got and do a medium or maybe even high setting at 1080p but now I'm not sure about how to go about it, has there been any word if there's been any improvements to the PS4 Pro version or at least an option to lock frame rate at 30?

EDIT: Ah fuck that PC benchmark video was apparently fake, PS4 Pr0 it is :((

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

empo

Jan 27, 2018
imagine if we had pc2 with a pc1 emulator so we could run this smoother at launch ala switch vs yuzu

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
"Meanwhile, hitting a stable 60fps on PS5 involves another tactic entirely. Sadly, VRR support isn't available on Sony's machine right now, but, as with the network test, simply running the PS4 app on PS5 clears up the frame-rate to a smooth 60fps. The trade-off? The game runs at a lower resolution - at what appears to be a reconstructed 1800p - and with lower settings in grass density than the native PS5 version. This is fundamentally the PS4 Pro codepath, using the higher power of PS5 to hit a more consistent performance level. Even with these trade-offs, running the PS4 app on PS5 is currently the best option on any console to achieve a consistent 60fps - and comes recommended if you value outright performance over image quality and higher-end graphical features."

-- via: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...2-24-elden-ring-performance-first-impressions

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Does Series S support VRR? I just got LG C1 OLED, but I have no idea if Series supports it's features… I know it doesn't support 4K resolutions.

Yes, it does support VRR.

BTW, It also supports 4K. It's just that not many games on Series S will ever run at a full 2160p, but the console is perfectly capable of outputting a 4K signal.

Pirico

Feb 22, 2022
Still no info if the game will simply refuse to launch on DX12 GPUs with FL 11_0 only (Like AC Valhalla does)?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I checked out Sekiro PS4 Pro on my 83A90J and the image quality is fine and fluid 60 fps are great. If there is major pop-in on any version then I will not be playing Elden Ring as a graphics-whore game anyway, so PS4 Version on PS5 it is until the VRR patches are out.

Luckily I could only order the PS4 Collector's Edition, so I lucked out.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Geez.

Been thinking about this for a while, but maybe I should finally just get a 1440p Freesync monitor until I can save up enough for an LG OLED later in the year...

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, just watched some framerate videos. Why is their no toggle to cap the frame rate? I would almost prefer to play on quality at 30FPS since it is always consistently above that. I got the PS5 version because I wanted to game share with my friend, but I am wishing I had this on my Series X just for VRR.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Man, just watched some framerate videos. Why is their no toggle to cap the frame rate? I would almost prefer to play on quality at 30FPS since it is always consistently above that. I got the PS5 version because I wanted to game share with my friend, but I am wishing I had this on my Series X just for VRR.
Because FromSoftware's 30 fps caps are always fucking terrible. It's probably a toss up to which feels better, 30 w/ bad frame pacing or the unlocked frame rate we have right now.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Exactly. It's fucking stupid to expect people to buy brand new tvs with a still new and niche feature to make up for devs who can't or won't optimize their games properly.
Especially when people like me have 4k sets with hdr and dolby vision and great picture quality.
I'm not against the idea of vrr, I think it's a good thing. But I dont want it to be used it as a crutch when devs could avoid framerate issues in the first place.
And From while absolutely brilliant at game design, have had years to get up to snuff on the technical side of things and havent come close apparently.
VRR is anything but niche at this point there are TVs several years old that have it and you can get TVs AND monitors with VRR/Freesync really cheap now. Just because Sony doesn't have it doesn't make it "niche" it does however make them lazy!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Wish I had a VRR TV, sounds like XSX with VRR is by far the best way to go.
I can't even begin to talk about how having a VRR TV becomes a relevant option to have a decent current-gen experience.

I always saw VRR to be there for games trying to hit 120fps but stuck in the 80-105fps range, not fr games trying to hit 60fps but stuttering between45-60fps.

Its even more ridiculous when you consider all they had to do on the 60fps mode is just lock it down to 1440p instead of it 1500p+ - 2160p dynamic rez, when their scaler doesn't catch these frame drops fast enough. Or put in a 30fps lock for the rez mode.

This is doubly compounded by the act that we are talking about FS here, who are notorious for not addressing these kinda issues.

Mind bogling.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really disagree with you, but the beauty of VRR is that in the future, when adoption is more ubiquitous, developers will no longer have to worry about an arbitrary 30fps or 60fps lock. Games can freely swim in that 35-55fps range without it really being an issue.

Or while we're at it, a developer whos game is struggling to hit a locked 60 but runs consistently well above 30 could simply lock their frame rate at, say, 45fps and a VRR display would handle it flawlessly.

Lots to gain from further VRR adoption looking forward.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
What is the resolution of PS5 and Series X in Quality? Is there a difference?
DF in their previous video of the game states that in quality mode its a targeted and typically sits at targeted 2160p. They didn't say anything about DRS for that mode or give a range. So it's safe to assume it stays around 2160p most of the time. At the cost of framerate of course and it has better shadows in that mode.

Perfmode is using DRS with I think 1512 - 2160p.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Then watch the ACG video if you want to nitpick where it's even more severe
www.youtube.com

Elden Ring Review Patch 1.021 Brings Terrible Performance

Exclusive Plague Tale Requiem Hands on Previewhttps://youtu.be/8N4xdtwdXHICheck out the Last of Us Part 1 REVIEW! https://youtu.be/64EmsjJHJYcDestroy all Hum...

Can people please stop sharing this transphobe dude here, there has to be plenty of other people at this point discussing the performance issues.