• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will fix some of this performance issues . Apparently is something that happens with all setups, so if you have a good graphic card you will be ok. But stutters will happend occasionally. i will play it on PC (already preordered )anyway. But for me is bad that this not took as an issue by the majority of reviewers
well most reviews ive seen said they played the game on a ps5 where they are a lot less issues. Every review on pc that I've seen, one of the first things they point out is the poor performance so i dont really see an issue here.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Wow yeah, what I'm seeing on Cohh's stream is crazy...

It reminds me of how CEMU used to be when you had to build the shader cache by playing the game and it wasn't asynchronus

Oct 27, 2017
It does make you wonder why there was a request to wait for the day 1 patch at all. I guess they likely felt the issues people would be concerned about weren't related to the frame rate, or maybe they had ambitions for the performance that weren't realized. Either way, I'm not sure I have a ton of hope this stuff will be ironed out. VRR is a bandaid, not s solution.
Because it would delay DF analysis.
getting DF to wait until the patch (that seemed to do barely anything) so they probably won't have a video out before launch is an absolute win for from and bamco

like lmao if ps5/xsx perf is the same as the network test why did this performance patch come out less than a day before the game?
Absolute shady work from Bandai Namco and it show us is worth testing games before day 1 patches as well because we can't trust these companies.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 version having overall highest framerates is both a bit surprising and impressive. If the drops are not really all over the place I doubt I will play the PS4 version on PS5, but given that it's running at some fairly high resolution, that's not a bad option to have at all if you require the 60FPS lock.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
That doesn't matter . It's bad optimized and that's all. Is something that we ask to all Studios. Stable framerates.
Streamers playing with rtx 3090 are getting stuttering also on medium settings.
I don't know why we can't ask to FromSoftware to optimize their games. And why this seems to be a non issue for all reviewers out there even when is ocurring in each area
Its not about caring about the framerate.....

It's about caring about getting a quality product and what you paid for. I would have made a thread addressing this, but that would be petty, but this is not just a FS problem. It goes out to all devs, including GG recently. Be it framerate, IQ artifacts.... whatever its, these devs should not be allowed to,or if they do be held accountable for releasing their games with certain generalized bugs r performance issues.

That they can usually push outa day one patch to address some or all (if you are lucky) does not matter and should honestly never have to be the case. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be hre saying, you will be fine if you have a VRR tv,or you can just play the PS4 version on your PS5, or telling everyone to change their TV settings to reduce the effect of these issues.

Its human nature, when you let people get away with a little, they try ad get away with more.

I know development is hard, but I would think performance should take priority over everything. And some devs get it,i would rather a game is released performing as close to perfect as possible, then a patch released later that improves its IQ and whatever, than a game is released looking great when you are not moving, but then falling apart once you start moving. And then have everyone clamoring for a patch so they can get a decent standard experience.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Schreier say the game was a "silky smooth 60 fps" on his 1080?
I don't think I'm that bad a writer. Nor have I played with an FPS counter. But I've now played 41 hours on my GTX 1080/i7 and it's run beautifully for me, aside from some stuttering and a couple of hard crashes. "High" settings. The frame rate was absolutely lower for me on PS5.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm that bad a writer. Nor have I played with an FPS counter. But I've now played 41 hours on my GTX 1080/i7 and it's run beautifully for me, aside from some stuttering and a couple of hard crashes. "High" settings. The frame rate was absolutely lower for me on PS5.

My point was that there might be less issues on 1x cards than there are on 2x and 3x cards.

There have been other games released recently that ran really well on 1x cards but had stuttering issues on 2x and 3x cards using the same quality and resolution settings

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
My point was that there might be less issues on 1x cards than there are on 2x and 3x cards.

There have been other games released recently that ran really well on 1x cards but had stuttering issues on 2x and 3x cards using the same quality and resolution settings
FightingCowboy played mostly on PC and he just provided an overview. I don't want to watch much of it, but he might be a good source to check out the PC version. He spent 85hrs in the PC version with gameplay.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Considering they're using DX12, I wonder if there are some environmental issues here. Perhaps issues with AMD CPUs or certain drivers/configs.

P.S. looking forward to them Suikoden 2 beans. :)

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm actually really annoyed the game scored this high with such significant performance issues. At what point do reviewers take into consideration performance in their scoring?

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
With all the well documented challenges that From has faced with the graphics on their titles, it seems odd to me that they haven't worked with Bandai Namco to shore up their technology department in a bid to eradicate this area of inconsistent performance.

Is there some specific reason they aren't able to overcome their difficulties in this area or is it just part of the general transition between generations?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
FROM has had PC issues since Dark Souls and they haven't ironed out how they handle PC versions since? It's been over a decade and they couldn't even get a support team to iron out PC issues since then? Come on...
Sekiro was perfect other than lack of Ultrawidescreen support and the 60 fps cap which wasn't that big of deal. So I was at least hoping for something similar and deluding myself that From would finally support Ultrawidescreen without mods. I probably should have just pirated the game since I have a feeling that Easy Anti Cheat will interfere with mods that try to fix From Software's mess. It seems like a guarantee I won't be able to play online if I have to disable Easy Anticheat to use mods...

Nov 1, 2017
In the grand tradition of being a gamer I'm gonna be hyperbolic af here but why can't a game that looks like the PS4 remaster of a PS3 game maintain a steady framerate on PS5?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
just watching Cohh's stream now, the game just had 4 seconds long freezes like 3 times in a row on a boss fight (that obviously had him killed), that was rough. After that he restarted the game and those freezes still happen.

here the clip: https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage/clip/NastyPrettyAlmondPipeHype-ih1OrBYVEOwP17N2

edit:
Just to be clear: The port is clearly not good, has plenty of issues, but this clip is not representative of the stutter everyone is talking about. I watched a good 10-20 minutes of the stream after this happened and it didn't happen again, not during another boss or during the open world. Also there's no doubt reviewers would mention 5+ second freezes in their reviews if it was happening regularly.

That's a bug or another program (like an anti virus or some shit) interfering with the game or something.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm actually really annoyed the game scored this high with such significant performance issues. At what point do reviewers take into consideration performance in their scoring?
I guess it is due to the scope of the game (open world here). Skyrim was a technical mess for a long time but it was mind blowing on what you could do in the world.

Agree though, if the issues are that bad, 10's become very questionable

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

Ok so can anyone explain to me the above tweet.

In the settings I go into video and change from 120 to 60hz. My CX is in PC mode for XSX. Is that going to change or affect anything. Also I thought 120hz and VRR went hand in hand I guess that doesn't matter. So they're just separate? Screen can be 120hz but output 60hz and also use VRR?

When I set up the cx a while ago I used PC mode. Is this still the way to go?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
In my eyes, another "advantage" of the PS4 version is support for a controller with rear paddles since I still have DS4s lying around with back button attachments. I hated having to claw-grip the Dualsense for some of the boss battles in Demon's Souls just to run, fight, and control the camera at the same time.

I already preloaded the PS5 version though so I probably won't bother.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
sigh....

I alo said this lol.

FS should have just locked the current-gen performance modes to 1440p and I am sure they would have had enough overhead to hit 60fps nearly all the time at least. And put a 30fpscap on the resolution mode.

And being that this is FS...it would be a miracle if they patch that kinda stuff in.

Thanks for the info.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
I was hoping fromsoft would finally get their shit together after being pressured by the Demon's Souls remake. I guess not.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Well that's PC gaming I guess. Everybody has a wildly different setup that you can end up with the magic combo that plays a game wonderfully.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Astounding a game like this is struggling on...well, everything by the looks of it. And we've seen absolutely nothing to justify any of that. People made jokes this game would be buttery smooth on a toaster, and yet here we are, a PS4 era game struggling on PS5.
People claimed a From Software game would be buttery smooth at launch??

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
FightingCowboy played mostly on PC and he just provided an overview. I don't want to watch much of it, but he might be a good source to check out the PC version. He spent 85hrs in the PC version with gameplay.

i skimmed the video because i didnt want to be spoiled much either. in the last minute he says the game is a 9/10 on PC due to the performance issues, i think he's saying it would be a 10/10 otherwise.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Ok so can anyone explain to me the above tweet.

In the settings I go into video and change from 120 to 60hz. My CX is in PC mode for XSX. Is that going to change or affect anything. Also I thought 120hz and VRR went hand in hand I guess that doesn't matter. So they're just separate? Screen can be 120hz but output 60hz and also use VRR?

When I set up the cx a while ago I used PC mode. Is this still the way to go?
"In the settings I go into video and change from 120 to 60hz" Correct on your SX.

This shouldn't hurt anything and VRR @120Hz is not a default for VRR to kick in. You can continue to use PC mode.

i skimmed the video because i didnt want to be spoiled much either. in the last minute he says the game is a 9/10 on PC due to the performance issues, i think he's saying it would be a 10/10 otherwise.
I don't want to spoil much as well so thanks for checking.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, I'm gonna rage tonight it looks like.

I hate shit like that but I'm not skipping this.

What is going on with that enemy too?

Fucking oooof…I'd be pissed too!

This clip is eye opening. WTF Fromsoft?! I don't care the excuse, there is NO excuse for what's happening in that video to be present in a released game. Delay it until it's not an insult to people who are paying you 60 bucks. We at least deserve a functional game, and back to back 5-10 second complete game freezes is just…wow. Massive disappointment. I'm going to watch some console footage and see if I can tolerate that uncapped fps.

he is doing an other boss right now and everything looks fine.
and afaik, the first boss didn't thave the same problems on the next tries.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

This clip is eye opening. WTF Fromsoft?! I don't care the excuse, there is NO excuse for what's happening in that video to be present in a released game. Delay it until it's not an insult to people who are paying you 60 bucks. We at least deserve a functional game, and back to back 5-10 second complete game freezes is just…wow. Massive disappointment. I'm going to watch some console footage and see if I can tolerate that uncapped fps.

In the grand tradition of being a gamer I'm gonna be hyperbolic af here but why can't a game that looks like the PS4 remaster of a PS3 game maintain a steady framerate on PS5?
Well ironically enough, as a PS4 game it does easily maintain a steady framerate on PS5.

The issue is that the "performance" mode doesn't just use settings similar to PS4... which they know runs steadily on PS5.

Also, unlike what is typical of PS5/XBX games, the "quality" mode doesn't put a 30fps cap in place to prevent framerate bouncing all over the place, even though it doesn't dip below 30.

Nov 1, 2017
It's a YMMV thing but I'm always fascinated when people talk about VRR like a magic fix for frame drops. I've had G-Sync monitors, FreeSync monitors, LG OLEDs, etc., and I've always still been able to feel dropped frames, even with tiny dips from like 60 to 58.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
No idea how this doesn't lock at 60 on these consoles. The game doesn't even look that good personally.