• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have both Series X and PS5 with a VRR 4k TV but Its gonna be PS5 version for me... too lazy to change my setup.
At least that sounds better than the old days, I own both the Xbox and PlayStation but I will play Tomb Raider on my PlayStation because that's where the franchise feels more natural :)

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised by the PC version tbh. What is quite shocking is the disparity between the XsX and PS5. Reeks of the game being developed for one platform with very little being done for the others until right at the end.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
honestly, i wish they'd just add a lock to 30 toggle if neither mode can hit 60
fluctuating framerates suck and give me a headache

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'll live with the PS5 version. Bloodborne & Sekiro performance didn't bother me at launch.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not touching this until we get fan mods on PC to unlock the framerate and ultrawide support.

From simply doesn't give a shit.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I used VRR when Gears 5 got it's patch and had some major visual issues on my Series X. Was that ever fixed? I felt like VRR had issues.
I think you're thinking of VRS..

VRR should not affect the graphics of games, and games don't need patches to support it. It's a feature of HDMI 2.1 that allows supporting TVs to change their frame rates to match the output from the console to remove screen tearing.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I picked up the PS4 physical release. ( I have PS4 pro on pc monitor and PS5 on my main TV)
Looks like I'll be playing the PS4 version on my PS5.
How sad.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a little shaky no matter where you go, though the PC version sounds downright bad. Glad I'm not in a rush to hop in so I'll be able to see if patches fix things up at all.

May 14, 2021
I used VRR when Gears 5 got it's patch and had some major visual issues on my Series X. Was that ever fixed? I felt like VRR had issues.
You're confusing VRS with VRR. VRR has been smoothing out rough framerates since the X was released. Pretty much every newer Ubisoft game has some framerate or tearing issues on Series X, but VRR masks all of it.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Sony needs to get the VRR update out like fucking yesterday. My series X is hooked up to a 1440p VRR monitor so that'll be where I play if I end up getting this down the line

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Wow I might just go with the PS4BC version If the PC is too stuttery for me. Is the PS4 on PS5 version locked 60fps no drops?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
As I said in the other thread, straight up embarrassing, as are the people hand waving this because "VRR displays".
For real. I have a CX and both consoles, but how many people do actually play on a screen that supports VRR? People keep bringing it up as if everyone had access to the benefits of VRR.
Hopefully From fixes this by next month when I get the game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Theoretically my tv supports VRR but I've never seen it in action. I'd like to see for myself how well it works. Are there any games on game pass I might want to check out that would do a good job showcasing it?

Load times would be the big one.

The vanishing of Ethan carter is a good one as it has an unlocked frame rate and let's you choose resolution to cause it to melt down.
The start of the game is also in a forest, which is also a little hard work for it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
So it sounds like performance mode is probably the way to go, considering that quality mode isn't locked and has big fluctuations too? I'm so terrible at interpreting this stuff sometimes.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Fuck... I bought the PS5 version because I love the PS5 box look nowadays and don't want to deal with multiple icons on the main menu... Guess I'm fucked

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went with the PS4/PS5 version since I have all the other FromSoft games there and am used to the controller for them, but VRR support for the Xbox is super nice. Dare I triple dip (have digital and physical for PS) for Elden Ring and get the Xbox version? I'm leaning yes lol.

Any word on load times between PS4-PS5? Wonder if playing the PS4 version is the best option right now.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
Could this be improved by using a Gen 4 SSD? I've played several games where people have complained about stutters like this (RE Village for example) and i didn't have any issues. The Ascent had some asset streaming stutters as well.

I suspect this is either tied to disk IO monitored by EasyAntiCheat or an erroneous expectation that GPU transfers to device-visible memory are instantaneous, because the consoles have unified memory which obviates the need for a copy to device memory the way PCs need. So, probably not. The reason we wouldn't see the latter problem before d3d12 is because GPU uploads are done asynchronously more-or-less as an implementation optimization by the driver. That optimization is made the responsibility of the application code in modern APIs.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They could have used checkerboard rendering for both in performancemode and hit locked 60fps with DRS.

Sep 21, 2019
You know... if the worst stutters are just due to shader caching the first time, and then just when loading new areas (without a loading screen), then I expected much worse from the PC version. I've certainly already dealt with worse.

Will it hitch on EVERY new shader effect, though? Like every single time something new is introduced? That would be so annoying, like playing on a fucking emulator.

This can't be real.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
i can live with mostly 60 fps but dips into 55/low 50s so thats all i ask for. lets see if they can pull it off.

Looking at FROM history, I think Sony will add VRR to PS5 before FROM will fix any performance/frame pacing issues. I hope to be wrong, but I doubt we'll see any significant improvement of the game on that front.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
Do we know if the PS4/5 version has cross save (if I wanted to play in 60 on PS4 then eventually jump up to PS5 if it gets patched in?)

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to get better frame rate on console if you force the console resolution to 1080p or something?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the PS4/5 version has cross save (if I wanted to play in 60 on PS4 then eventually jump up to PS5 if it gets patched in?)
Yep however it is only one way. You can go PS4 to PS5 but not back according to Namco.

Is it possible to get better frame rate on console if you force the console resolution to 1080p or something?
Nope all the current consoles down sample automatically if you play on a 1080 screen unfortunately. It was only early PS4Pro games that you could improves performance using a 1080p screen.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
i feel I deserve an apology lol.

I was speaking against this practice of releasing games with generalized issues and requiring day 1 patches in the other thread, and how it's just generally not good form. I was having my ass handed to me by many there for being unrealistic...

Well, now the day 1 patch didnt even fix the performance issues (nor did it fix the IQ issues in HFW), to the point that people are even talking about holding off till a patch is released that fixes them lol. Oh... and VRR.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is the game cross-save on Playstation? Could I switch to PS4 version if the PS5 version is unsatisfying after a few hours?
There are 3 possibilities.
  • No cross save
  • Cross save from PS4 to PS5 (one direction)
  • Cross save between PS4 and PS5 (both directions).
Elden Ring is using the second option. I mentioned all the options to tell you that asking for cross save isn't enough. Which hopefully will help you in the future, because if someone would've told you "yes", then you would find out later that PS5 to PS4 doesn't work.
PlayStation 4 users will be able to transfer their save files to their PlayStation 5. However, it will not work the other way around. Those playing on the PlayStation 5 will not be able to transfer save files to the PlayStation 4.
www.siliconera.com

Elden Ring Cross Save and Framerate Details Revealed

Bandai Namco has revealed how the cross save feature in Elden Ring will work between the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I still gonna play native PS5. There is no way I can go back to PS4 load times. 5 secs load is so much better than some frame drops.

Network test were around 5 secs load times for PS5 and around 40ish for PS4.

this - SSD is what sold me on ps5, need that here. can't imagine any framerate dips as bad as OG blightown so ill be fine

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
i feel I deserve an apology lol.

I was speaking against this practice of releasing games with generalized issues and requiring day 1 patches in the other thread, and how it's just generally not good form. I was having my ass handed to me by many there for being unrealistic...

Well, now the day 1 patch didnt even fix the performance issues (nor did it fix the IQ issues in HFW), to the point that people are even talking about holding off till a patch is released that fixes them lol. Oh... and VRR.
Dude, I wasn't one of them but move on man. This is not a good look.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Big oof. Guess I'll wait to see if fan patches can fix the PC issues. If not, I guess it'll be PS4 on PS5.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of frustrated that PS5 doesn't have VRR yet. Would have been an easy choice for me.