• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I knew performance was going to be rough... but I at least expected quality mode to have locked FPS. What the hell From, I just can't play a game with FPS jumping all over the place, it gives me motion sickness. Hope it gets better by the time I manage to get a PS5

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Consoles rez has a DRS range of 1512p -2160p@60fps in perf mode.

And a 2160p lock in the quality mode that also funny enough... targets 60fps or better put is unlocked.

Simple fix? Lockperformance mode to 1440p@60fps. Cap fps in quality mode to 30fps.

Why they didn't do this... we will never know.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I'd say this game exceeds the remake in every single way minus graphics.
Oh yeah I'll definitely agree with that. Gameplay looks a few steps ahead. Im just tired of major releases coming out with so many performance issues. When the best performing version of your game by default is to run the last gen version on newer hardware eliminating any next gen additions is unacceptable.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
Of course it's a nonsense argument, I was attempting to say the same in the shitshow that the HFW review thread became.

We put up a review in progress and mentioned the technical issues, and our reviewer's basically said that there's no way the issues *can't* impact on a score at this point, it's just not stable
Fair play man, it's good to see some people mentioning it. At the end of the day, it's something that directly effects how people play the game, and so I was disappointed that more outlets didn't mention it.

I understand that most are reviewing it purely on their enjoyment of the game, hence the scores, but at the end of the day, many reviews serve as the basis for a lot of people deciding whether or not to buy the game. And as such, things like this should be highlighted.

Nov 8, 2017
OK but the thing is, all of the previous FromSoft games had worse problems, and they are collectively my favorite games ever. I've played them on everything from the PS3 and Xbox 360 to the PS5 and a chunky PC, and loved them all. So there is zero chance that this is going to impact my experience in any way. Obviously your mileage may vary but I don't play Soulsborne games for smooth frame rates.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
well that kills the hype for me. my options are PS4 or PC. it's pathetic this is happening to PC which should be the better performing version but nah it's consoles. what a joke.

at this point they aren't getting the full asking price. i'm glad i cancelled my pre order when people started mentioning PC issues. they can fix their broken game or i'll wait for a good sale before they get my money.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
OK but the thing is, all of the previous FromSoft games had worse problems, and they are collectively my favorite games ever. I've played them on everything from the PS3 and Xbox 360 to the PS5 and a chunky PC, and loved them all. So there is zero chance that this is going to impact my experience in any way. Obviously your mileage may vary but I don't play Soulsborne games for smooth frame rates.

Played Dark Souls at 60 fps on PC after quitting it halfway on PS3 was transformative.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But this is a thread about performance.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
Thanks 🙏 to my 65" c1 lg oled I'll be playing on the xsx which will help out a lot with vrr . Got on the road Sony .

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Played Dark Souls at 60 fps on PC after quitting it halfway on PS3 was transformative.

It has *literally* never been this bad.

The PC version is a joke. Not talking about 30 fps.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Oke how long is exactly the loading on PS5 and XSX and how much loading is there in the game. Need to have this info to make my final descision.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Neither version seems ideal at this point, "pick your poison" it seems. It's a shame to see such a masterfully designed game being thwarted by this level of technical roughness, but that's From Software I suppose.😅Hopefully they will be able to offer a more solid experience after a few patches.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Do performance issues ever affect reviews anymore? It seems to hit some games harder than others lately.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I used VRR when Gears 5 got it's patch and had some major visual issues on my Series X. Was that ever fixed? I felt like VRR had issues.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'd say this game exceeds the remake in every single way minus graphics and, you are talking about a vast open world compared to closed environments.
I disagree...being that we are talking about two completely different games at this point. If BP was the one making this, with Miyazaki at the helm, the game would have come out looking and performing a lot better than this. The issue here is whatever engine or however the devs at FS seem to go about their performance priorities, always ends p with them having badly performing games.

Its just not what they are good at. Let's not start comparing games here... as I doubt anyone is talking about the validity of the game itself, our issue is with its performance/IQ.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be curious to see how many of the '60fps or bust' brigade hold firm and play the PS4 version… lol

I'm still undecided between XSX or PS5 (I have a VRR OLED). If I had to jump in now, I would probably go with PS4 back compat since the only difference seems slightly lower res and grass density, however since I'm really enjoying HFW at the moment, I am in no rush and will wait to see if and how future patches address performance. I'm also hoping for Sony to add VRR support soon.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
People need to remember that Bloodborne was 30fps dipped to like 20.

60 down to 45 will be excellent. Obviously not ideal and will be noticeable, but if you played through Bloodborne when it released and enjoyed yourself, you certainly shouldn't fear playing this on ps5.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Framerate tests I saw on YouTube looked mostly 58-60 fps on PS5. If I can play and love Demons Souls on PS3, I think I can manage 😅.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Huh the PS4 version on PS5 seems viable if that was the only trade off.

I'll check out the PS5 version first and see if I can live with it first.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So besides the grass density and the resolution does the PS4 version on PS5 have any other drawbacks?

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

…where do you think you are right now?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Theoretically my tv supports VRR but I've never seen it in action. I'd like to see for myself how well it works. Are there any games on game pass I might want to check out that would do a good job showcasing it?

So besides the grass density and the resolution does the PS4 version on PS5 have any other drawbacks?
Load times would be the big one.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Nothing significantly changed from the network test (which in itself is many months old build).

Based on their pedigree I wouldn't bet on larger (or even notable) changes anytime soon unfortunately.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
LG CX, Series X, VRR it is. See y'all in a few days.

Also, this thread is about performance, and it deserves to be called out, without compromise. This game will need multiple patches to smooth out performance, so it would be nice if we held off about the open world, graphical boot licking.

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
PS5 version it is, whenever I do end up getting it. I imagine there will be more optimisation patches coming sooner than later.
first-time-james-franco.gif

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yea I should edit that first message, I am not buying a TV JUST for VRR. I have money set aside and was just waiting for the new series, but I don't know if that's worth the wait if I can get last year's model at its current slight discount price right now
Depends on how much you can grab a C1 for. I managed to buy a 65" one about 3 weeks ago for £1330, so I was more than happy to pay it.

C2 seems to be another minor step up, even if it's a little bit brighter - if you can get a cheap C1, go for it.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Depends on how much you can grab a C1 for. I managed to buy a 65" one about 3 weeks ago for £1330, so I was more than happy to pay it.

C2 seems to be another minor step up, even if it's a little bit brighter - if you can get a cheap C1, go for it.
I'm considering going with the G1 because that'll for sure give me the brighter panel. I can find C1s at Best Buy right now for $1300 and G1s for $1600, Now to decide if I'm gonna actually pull the trigger and buy one hahaha

PolarisWaves

Banned
Feb 17, 2022
Can I have both PS5 and PS4 versions at the same time on PS5? Do they act like different games with different save files?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Do performance issues ever affect reviews anymore? It seems to hit some games harder than others lately.
Unless its broken beyond measure.... it doesn't. But it should.

If it did, devs would take it more seriously. I still stand by the fact that I feel even HFW should have had points docked from its review because of its IQ issues.

How a game looks (IQ, not to be mistaken with having the best graphics/art) and how it feels (fps/performance) is just as important as how it plays (gameplay).

Reviewers focus on the last bit, and only talk about the other two when its clearly and obviously bad. But they should treat them all nearly equally, being that outside gameplay, you spend all your time with the game dealing with the other two parts.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Getting it on XSX & since it supports VRR I hope the frame rate fluctuating seems smooth.

Seems like if PS5 supported VRR overall with its better performance it would be the better machine.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The issues are asset streaming stutter so you would get stutter at even 10 fps.
Could this be improved by using a Gen 4 SSD? I've played several games where people have complained about stutters like this (RE Village for example) and i didn't have any issues. The Ascent had some asset streaming stutters as well.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Not gonna overcomplicate things just gonna play Ps5 version already pre installed.

Cant be worse than bloodborne