• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Has there been an example of something like this happening before with PS4 via PS5 BC being better to play than just the native PS5 game? I really can't recall one
FFXIV. And there's not even visual upgrades with the PS5 version, they just somehow screwed up the port to where there's random frame drops that the PS4 version doesn't have.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
So on PS5 you can achieve a stable 60FPS at 1800p with lower grass density by running the PS4 Pro?

If so, I'll take that!

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
First impressions are fucking great on my end. But then again I'm not digital foundry combing over every dip with a fine toothed comb lol. It's honestly nothing egregiously bad to me. Completely playable.

Performance felt stable. And quality's image looked sharp although the fps obviously took a hit.

Keep in mind I'm still in the first area so I don't know how either of the modes will handle when multiple enemies are on screen.
Gotcha. Thanks. I am going Performance mode exclusively. I have Freesync on my monitor, so I will be able to take advantage of a VRR implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going with XSX here, mostly so that I can use my Elite Series 2 controller. My basement TV, which is larger, doesn't have VRR so if the performance really detracts from the experience, I'll play using my living room TV that does have VRR.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the ps5. But no have a vrr tv + série x as well. Should I change it for série x ? What's the best ps5 or série x + vrr for this game
Series X with VRR according to John from Digital Foundry, though he said there are caveats for all platforms.

If it's too much hassle to swap, I'd just stick with PS5.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I wish there was a 30 cap option on consoles. I'd take that in a second.

I wonder if capping PC to 30 or 60 would help with the issues mentioned?? Probably not as it sounds like the game streaming in assets is causing the issues.

Bummer that there is no option anywhere to get the game to run smooth.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I bought the ps5. But no have a vrr tv + série x as well. Should I change it for série x ? What's the best ps5 or série x + vrr for this game
That's entirely up to you and your situation. For me, I have both consoles and a VRR set. SX is a no brainer for me, but I'm not playing with friends or sharing consoles etc. Your situation maybe different, but if not, I'd seriously consider SX+VRR.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I absolutely LOATHE this shader caching stuttering seen in some PC titles. Wish this bullshit had a better solution.

As far as I understand, there are solutions to this problem that would not be ultra hard to implement but the team has to know about them and has to have the time and manpower to implement them. It's a change in workflow that not everyone has adapted to yet. Something like Steam Shader Chache would have been a solution, but I'm not sure if it works with DX12 or if it's only Vulcan.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I've already got the PC version, so we will see how bad the stuttering is tonight when the game unlocks at 6 pm EST. If it's really that bad, I'll switch to PS5. I had 0 framerate complaints about the network test.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously that's a nonsense argument, but it does beg the question how a game with quite obvious performance issues, can score a 97, particularly when other games over the years have been docked points for similar things.

I'm not saying it shouldn't still be a strong 90+, but it is strange to me that basically nobody has highlighted this from the reviews I have read.

Of course it's a nonsense argument, I was attempting to say the same in the shitshow that the HFW review thread became.

We put up a review in progress and mentioned the technical issues, and our reviewer's basically said that there's no way the issues *can't* impact on a score at this point, it's just not stable

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I'll refund the PC version and play on PS5... really dislike microstutters. Will eventually pick it up again on steam for a replay.

Sabercrusader

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me glad I'm holding off on buying this because of backlog. Give them time to iron out these performance details.

Besides, I'll hold myself over by playing another FROM game for the first time, Sekiro.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Now I'm at an impasse. I was going to buy a LG 2 series this year when they came out, need to upgrade my old cheap college TV.

But now I'm not sure if I Slshould go buy a LG C1/G1 today/tomorrow to experience the game with VRR? I was thinking of holding out for the C2/G2 whenever they release this year, but then I wouldn't have VRR til then. Hmmmmm

Last edited:

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
So the most stable version on consoles is the ps4 version on ps5, right? I'll try the PC version tonight, and if it performs too poorly i'll buy the ps4 version.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm taking the dive on PC once it launches immediately. I'll update with performance. I'm no DF, but I can certainly tell when stuff is up. I've got a couple of other lower power systems I may be able to run it on later as well, compared to my main rig which is a 5800x and a 3080Ti. This sounds like, for PC at least, shader compilation issues if this is happening whenever new environments/enemies/spells are loading in. Hopefully, they can provide an option to precompile everything. important to note that I had no issues with Sekiro on launch, or any other From game on PC, nor did I have issues with Halo Infinite once that properly launched and wasn't in it's test flight state. This will likely vary for a lot of people. Hopefully they can patch up whatever issues, both on consoles and on PC.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif
This. Sad situation really.

So basically PS5 runs better (if marginally), but X1X can alleviate the issue with VRR (resulting in an admittedly better experience ... if you have a compatible display).

Gosh.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So that means in the xbox's display settings right? I only use my xbox for gamepass games .

Now I'm at an impasse. Should I go buy a LG C1/G1 today/tomorrow just for VRR? I was thinking of holding out for the C2/G2 whenever they release this year, but then I wouldn't have VRR til then. Hmmmmm
Not worth it just for VRR, doubt it'll be a huge difference worth you playing on a slightly worse display for however long you keep the tv. Even if you are extremely sensitive to fps fluctuations thats a big sacrifice.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*takes a hit from the copium bong*
I've watched multiple streams of the PS5 version of both the network test and the final game and most people are saying the game runs great in mostly 60fps. Watching them the pop-in annoyed me more than the small FPS drops to be honest. Will probably stick with the PS5 version for the denser grass.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Now I'm at an impasse. Should I go buy a LG C1/G1 today/tomorrow just for VRR? I was thinking of holding out for the C2/G2 whenever they release this year, but then I wouldn't have VRR til then. Hmmmmm
Do we know what the new features are going to be for C2/G2, cause it really depends on that. C1 is a great machine but what a shame it would be to miss out on a big feature just for VRR now.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've got a decent PC and my TV has VRR.
Would it be a good idea to play on PC be XSX? As in will VRR help the issues on PC?

I finally got my new video card after a 2 year wait and was excited to play it there. Unfortunately stutter drives me more insane than just about anything in a game. I'm worried they all are going to stutter to a degree regardless of VRR, PC specs etc :/

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
This is better than Sekiro on release. Baby steps, good enough for me.

Sekiro never got fixed on PS4 Pro, you need a PS5 to play it at a locked 60 fps.

Which means you will need a PS5 Pro to play Elden Ring PS5 version at 60 fps.

I have ZERO hope that FromSoftware will fix any of these performance issues on console in a patch, they just don't give a flying fuck.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just chill, lol

Idk what TV you have but you shouldn't upgrade just for VRR

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sticking to my Series X pre-order for now. Appreciate DF for this PSA thanks Dictator

BTW, weird aside I know, but is there any benefit to using the Elite 2 controller for this genre of games?

EDIT:

What does this mean for Quality mode? Quality + VRR will have streaking? No, right? I'm thinking Quality + VRR.

Unfortunately no :(

But if it's any solace it's looked fine on my 60/120hz projector lol. So I can only imagine VRR users are going to be in for a real treat.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, mine does VRR, so should be better, I guess. LOL, what a situation...

Last edited: