• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, good first impressions? I am likely going Series X here.

First impressions are fucking great on my end. But then again I'm not digital foundry combing over every dip with a fine toothed comb lol. It's honestly nothing egregiously bad to me. Completely playable.

Performance felt stable. And quality's image looked sharp although the fps obviously took a hit.

Keep in mind I'm still in the first area so I don't know how either of the modes will handle when multiple enemies are on screen.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
...and just like PC version of ff7 remake the modding community will probably address some of these issues before an official patch does if at all.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a frame rate snob. I'll take 30 or 60 happily. But I like a solid frame rate. I'm gonna wait a few months and see if they smooth it out. If they even put a 30 fps lock on quality mode I would take that.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
In the end? Play the PS4 version on a PS5 (with lesser graphics) for a locked 60, or it will be all over the place.

PC can mantain 60, but it`s the first From Software DX 12... Stutters in every new shader compilation and loading new assets.

Have you tried forcing DX11 to see if launches the game and if it improves the stutter?

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
If nothing else, this confirms that game performance factors literally 0 percent into reviews scores.

I completely disagree with that approach, but it is what it is.
BOTW's performance issues factored into a number of reviews and that game is right up there with Elden Ring. Did you actually read every review? Or even realize that people acknowledge the performance issues but it doesn't detract from their overall experience with the game?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
How was this not a factor in reviews, either via a reduction in score or worded in the the review itself? There is this weird acceptance in the media and from From Soft fans that terrible performance is part and parcel of what you can expect and it's incredibly odd to me as someone who's not really a fan.

if a collective feels a game is truly genre defining in form and function, performance will generally be overlooked unless it is gamebreaking.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I cannot believe some people are seriously considering playing the PS4 version of this game (with 10x slower load times, lower picture quality, no dualsense support etc.) over the PS5 version just because framerate can drop down to a minimum of 45fps (which is already better than any FromSoft game released ever) ...

Wouldn't load times still be improved? I think the BC mode still takes advantage of the SSD even if it won't be as good as a native copy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from game breaking crashes and things, stutters are the technical issue that bugs me the most. I can deal with framrayes being a bit inconsistent as I have G-Sync, i can deal with low image quality issues, I can deal with pop in, etc...

Stutters can make a game feel really unpleasent to play.

I've bought it, so I'll give it a go, curious to see how they affect my experience.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the past couple of hours on my XsX with CX, VRR in FPS mode.

Plays good for me, not noticed any crazy slowdowns yet, even rained and was fine.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wasted my money on Bloodborne because the framepacing/stuttering gave me serious nausea. I learned my lesson.

The handwaiving of those problems by the reviewers is always a sight to see.

Thx DF.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Nobody cried about 92 metascore not reflecting performance issues with Bloodborne.

Game is a masterpiece regardless and while the performance is not *perfect* it's still playable with no game-breaking bugs...

yeah unfortunately its not 2015 anymore, where barely achieving 30fps was industry standard.
people are being spoiled with rock solid 60fps games, which also looks magnitudes better than this.
zero reason for them to get a pass for this as long as they did.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Since this game has drawn many Breath of the Wild comparisons, here's another. Breath of the Wild ran like asscheeks and has significant frame drops depending on the action on screen. It's still one of the GOATs. While not ideal and we'd expect more from a game releasing on consoles up to Series X / PS5, the game itself can still be an extremely fun experience.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Reviewers ignore technical issues all the time unless it's extreme. I imagine most just didn't think it mattered
This is fairly bad.

A game that jumps from 40-60 and has drops below is going to be VERY noticeable. It's like it slows down and speeds up and fees very off.

VRR to the rescue

Oct 27, 2017
ps4 save wouldn't be compatible with ps5 version of the game, right? I'd like to juggle between the two if the framerate pisses me off too much

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Playing Tales of Arise in resolution mode with VRR was too distracting because of how much it fluctuated, so I wonder how it feels on Elden Ring

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW's performance issues factored into a number of reviews and that game is right up there with Elden Ring. Did you actually read every review? Or even realize that people acknowledge the performance issues but it doesn't detract from their overall experience with the game?
I obviously didn't read every review, but I read and listened to a lot of them. Some referenced performance, some didn't. Those that referenced performance pretty much hand waved it away as "well it's a FROM game".

But looking at the actual performance numbers that DF provided, it's clear that the performance in this game is completely unacceptable. The 60fps mode practically never actually reaching 60fps is absolutely unacceptable.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I love From, but they always seem to produce products that are bumpy out of the gate, eh? Typically, things do get better a little further down the road.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly at this point I think I´ll just focus on HFW and wait to see if From gets perfomance mode on PS5 ironed or the supposed March VRR update for PS5 happens.
I´m not sure I´ll be able to hold this decision once the game arrives but it feels like the best decision.
No way I´m playing the PS4 version lol
Do we know if at least there is a cross save option for the PS ecosystem ?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
There needs to be an option to compile shaders before starting in every game on PC. It's get annoying how many games are releasing with shader caching hitches.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe some people are seriously considering playing the PS4 version of this game (with 10x slower load times, lower picture quality, no dualsense support etc.) over the PS5 version just because framerate can drop down to a minimum of 45fps (which is already better than any FromSoft game released ever) ...
Lmao yeah I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Min of 45 FPS is light years better than pretty much any FS release. No way I'm going back to 3 minute load times for a slightly more stable frame rate.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely LOATHE this shader caching stuttering seen in some PC titles. Wish this bullshit had a better solution.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i "only" got the ps4 ce, so i dont even need to upgrade LOL. ill take the 60 fps

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the lack of an (optional) framerate cap in quality mode.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Whelp, I'll be doing a monitor swap tonight so that my XSX can play on a monitor with better VRR compatibility. My current one is supposed to support it, but doesn't seem to actually do it.

I'm glad I didn't get the PC version after all of this. I'm guessing that eventually the PC version will be the best version, but at launch I'll stick with my XSX and VRR monitor.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Thank god I have a VRR display, lame that the game is poorly optimized but so far so good. It feels much better with VRR on.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Praise the Sssstutter.

I'll probably still get it on pc. 100% these games is important to me snd I won't do that to a borrowed Xbox.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
Working on a video for this myself, but yeah, it feels rough on PS5. I actually got motion sick with the frame rate jumping all over the place. Yet to try PS4 on PS5, but that's my next step.

(Dare I bring up the people who were clamouring for HFW to be a higher metascore because "objectively it runs with a solid frame rate therefore it's better than an 89"?)
Obviously that's a nonsense argument, but it does beg the question how a game with quite obvious performance issues, can score a 97, particularly when other games over the years have been docked points for similar things.

I'm not saying it shouldn't still be a strong 90+, but it is strange to me that basically nobody has highlighted this from the reviews I have read.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
When do you remember the last time any game got seriously knocked for performance outside super extreme examples like Cyberpunk, which was fundamentally broken on current gen consoles? It's just not something that most critics care about for whatever reason. Outside sites like DF, that specializes in this kind of analysis, almost no one really goes into that kind of stuff

I don't get it though, there's no way someone playing a game that can drop to 45fps from 60fps isn't feeling and seeing something going on? Your job is to review all aspects of the product, technical issues and game feel are a major component of said product. We now have avcase where consumers are potentially scrabbling to work out which version to purchase with the least amount of issues given their particular situation. I mean, it sounds all but unplayable on PC, that's a disgraceful situation that is only just coming to light.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the ps5. But no have a vrr tv + série x as well. Should I change it for série x ? What's the best ps5 or série x + vrr for this game

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Even with these trade-offs, running the PS4 app on PS5 is currently the best option on any console to achieve a consistent 60fps - and comes recommended if you value outright performance over image quality and higher-end graphical features.
i finally got my answer

Nov 2, 2017
Simple answer. When some framedrops happen in the game. You dont see it. As the TV "compensates" for it.
This is a misrepresentation of what VRR is and does. All it does is match your display's refresh rate with the actual framerate thus eliminating judder. You'll stil see and feel framerate drops. Of course the higher your framerate the less of an issue framerate drops with VRR become.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I really hope they fix this sooner rather than later, Sony should've added VRR already but it shouldn't be a solution to this problem, only a help in case random drops. And most people, me included, don't have a display with this feature so it would be useless regardless.