• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yup I agree. And it's weird some games get performance factored into their reviews and some don't.

I honestly don't recall the last time performance factored into reviews for most games outside maybe Cyberpunk, but that was obviously an extreme example and the PC version of it (which also had a lot of technical issues at launch) didn't get dinged for it much

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the fact that I'm only playing on a 1080p TV will somewhat help the PS5 performance. That said, I survived the framerate on Bloodborne and Dark Souls.

It won't. Modern game consoles don't care about the resolution of your TV, they render the game at the same internal resolution no matter what and then either downscale or upscale that image to match the resolution of your TV. In other words, whether you play the PS5 version of ER on a 720p TV or an 8K TV, the performance will be the same.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm torn because the PS4 version BC is the best way to play the game right now, but it's also the best it will ever be. Whereas the PS5 version might get patched in coming weeks to improve its performance problems. Chances are I'll be playing this game for a long, long time so I feel like I should still "invest" in a save on the PS5 version and hope the improvements come.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for 3 hours on SX now and bounced between both modes. Didn't notice any drops in performance, and while quality can dip, it's nothing gamebreaking.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's hoping PC performance improves with every new patch. It's going to be strange with some of those sharp spikes and stutters!

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I would prefer to get it for PS5, I cannot deny how wonderful VRR is on XSX, so I may go the Microsoft route for this title (If I end up getting it).

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Seems to be the kind of game that won't really be improved by DLSS on PC if stutters are due to loading/streaming issues. Oof . Hope to see some Steam Deck gameplay tomorrow from someone.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
If nothing else, this confirms that game performance factors literally 0 percent into reviews scores.

I completely disagree with that approach, but it is what it is.

yeah i disagree as well, mainly because it gives zero incentive to from, to get a handle of their performance issues, (for well over a decade now)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
As I said in the other thread, straight up embarrassing, as are the people hand waving this because "VRR displays".
No one is hand waving. We bought VRR displays for reasons like this and that's why the tech exists. I have a PC and a console that supports it and a console that doesn't. Im going with the ones that support it.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I'll play Elden Ring when VRR is available on PS5.
So maybe next month maybe in two years lol.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Wish From could have gotten their performance under control and not require some VRR implementation and a compatible tv to compensate on their behalf.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Man that's a huge bummer. I'm not desperate to play it since the story is not important and spoilers are of no worry but I don't know if I can wait that long for PC patches that may never come. I guess I will wait a few days and hope for a miracle official patch and/or community fixes.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot believe some people are seriously considering playing the PS4 version of this game (with 10x slower load times, lower picture quality, no dualsense support etc.) over the PS5 version just because framerate can drop down to a minimum of 45fps (which is already better than any FromSoft game released ever) ...

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously this stuff matters, and isn't great. But every reviewer did play the game in this state, or even worse, right?

Sounds like it doesn't detract from the experience too much.. guess we'll see when it's out everywhere.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I'm sure we've all played through worse from them by this point already. So I'm not going to worry myself about what's the best version and just play the game.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
It's amazing how inept and technically terrible From is. This continues to happen with EVERY game they make and we fans continue to give them a pass.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
How was this not a factor in reviews, either via a reduction in score or worded in the the review itself? There is this weird acceptance in the media and from From Soft fans that terrible performance is part and parcel of what you can expect and it's incredibly odd to me as someone who's not really a fan.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
At least PS has the option of PS4 version via BC on PS5.

You can't play the X1 or X1X version of ER on Series S/X without being completely offline.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn because the PS4 version BC is the best way to play the game right now, but it's also the best it will ever be. Whereas the PS5 version might get patched in coming weeks to improve its performance problems. Chances are I'll be playing this game for a long, long time so I feel like I should still "invest" in a save on the PS5 version and hope the improvements come.
The saves are compatible. PS4 -> PS5 only and both ways on Xbox.
www.siliconera.com

Elden Ring Cross Save and Framerate Details Revealed

Bandai Namco has revealed how the cross save feature in Elden Ring will work between the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

I would urge people to give the PS5 version a try first tbh.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
VRR is a godsend

From needs some help with their technical engineering they would do so good if they can get their code optimized

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Super disappointed with Fromsoft. Their PC ports have been solid pretty much ever since the clusterfuck with DS1. I'll hold out hope they can improve it with patches but I'm not optimistic. Maybe modders can bail us out.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
Nobody cried about 92 metascore not reflecting performance issues with Bloodborne.

Game is a masterpiece regardless and while the performance is not *perfect* it's still playable with no game-breaking bugs...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot believe some people are seriously considering playing the PS4 version of this game (with 10x slower load times, lower picture quality, no dualsense support etc.) over the PS5 version just because framerate can drop down to a minimum of 45fps (which is already better than any FromSoft game released ever) ...

Yeah, this boggles my mind. Both PS5 modes still sound way better than Bloodborne on the PS4 or the Souls games on the PS3/360. But then, I've never been someone who cares that much about framerate (unless it's one of our games).

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately, I have a VRR monitor so I'll play it on that on Series X.

Yeah, that's too much of a trade off. This performs "well" for a From game on console. It's easy to forget how bad it was in the PS3/360 gen.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Low-Level API's were a mistake.

kinda funny to come to this conclusion when so many other games are fine. Maybe, its more to do with From as developers? Not exactly the first game with technical problems. Actually I'm pretty sure every single one of their games had frame pacing isues on consoles since at least Dark Souls 1.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nope you can download the PS4 version if you have the PS5 disc

Wait, you can? I never knew that.

I don't think that's right unless I'm missing something.
The PS5 version of Horizon Physical doesn't offer the PS4 version for example.

Only if you buy PS5 digitally do you typically get both versions regardless (or buy the PS4 version and redeem the PS5 upgrade on the store page).

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
In the end? Play the PS4 version on a PS5 (with lesser graphics) for a locked 60, or it will be all over the place.

PC can mantain 60, but it`s the first From Software DX 12... Stutters in every new shader compilation and loading new assets.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
From needs to move to a new engine ASAP. Not sure why I thought Elden was going to be made in UE4.