• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.eurogamer.net

Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Elden Ring's launch has been marked by strong reviews praising its gameplay and art direction, but also questions over …

Console TL;DR: PS5 and Series X framerates are largerly unchanged, 45~60fps on performance modes, 30~60fps on quality mode, PS5 performs generally better but still lacks VRR support. on PS5 you can run the PS4 version for a steady 60 frames per second at the sacrifice of resolution and grass density.
First, let's look at the situation on consoles. The performance metrics we saw in the game's network test last year seem largely unchanged on PS5 and Series X. Both continue to offer two modes - a frame-rate mode and a quality mode. However, even running on the launch day patch 1.02, the frame-rate mode continues to run at a range of 45-60fps on PS5 and Series X, while the quality modes on each range between 30-60fps. Both machines run with entirely unlocked frame-rates, and much like the network test, there's still no 30fps cap to even out the wavering reading in quality mode. The result? A highly variable performance for the quality mode in particular, where 60fps is rarely - if ever - achieved on PS5 or Series X.

In comparison, PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X, though clearly neither is ideal. The bottom line is neither console offers a consistent 60fps in the final release. That being said, there are workarounds for each platform well worth considering. Xbox Series X is greatly improved by its system-level support for variable refresh rate (VRR) if you have a supporting display. VRR helps minimise the perceived judder in its 45-60fps range in frame-rate mode, creating a smoother experience by matching the screen refresh to the frame-rate. This may not be a solution for everybody, but for those with compatible TVs it's the best option on Xbox right now. Series S users also benefit from VRR here. Given this platform's frame-rate mode runs between 40-60fps right now it's a viable choice, though not perfect, given Series S's performance veers more often towards the lower end of this range than Series X.

Meanwhile, hitting a stable 60fps on PS5 involves another tactic entirely. Sadly, VRR support isn't available on Sony's machine right now, but, as with the network test, simply running the PS4 app on PS5 clears up the frame-rate to a smooth 60fps. The trade-off? The game runs at a lower resolution - at what appears to be a reconstructed 1800p - and with lower settings in grass density than the native PS5 version. This is fundamentally the PS4 Pro codepath, using the higher power of PS5 to hit a more consistent performance level. Even with these trade-offs, running the PS4 app on PS5 is currently the best option on any console to achieve a consistent 60fps - and comes recommended if you value outright performance over image quality and higher-end graphical features.

PC version TL;DR: first DX12 game for From Software, suffers from "severe" frame time issues including stutters on first appearence of assets, and while traversing that could reduce the framerate significantly. This issue does not exist on consoles. Also noted is a lack of ultra wide, framerates above 60fps and "unintuitive graphical options "
The PC situation is also worth clarifying. As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues.

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters. Other issues to note are the lack of ultrawide screen support, no support for frame-rates above 60fps, and unintuitive graphical options that lack visible scaling. As we have seen with other titles suffering from similar issues such as Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Halo Infinite, it could be sensible to wait for further patches before investing time into the PC version of Elden Ring.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, I am tempted to play the PS4 version on my PS5 but psychologically I'm struggling with doing that. I need to see how bad it really is.

Edit: Sticking with PS5, as God intended.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty much expecting ~45 on Series S at this point so at least I won't be surprised

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I will wait for at least ultrawide mod before buying it. I have plenty of other stuff to play.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Hm...yeah, definitely going to take my time finishing Horizon Forbidden West before jumping into this, hopefully by then I can get a stable framerate in PS5. Tho, to be honest, if I survived the crappy framerate of other FromSoft games I'll probably be fine with 45-60fps...

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
DualSense Support, loading times and PS4->PS5 save game transfer infos are needed for final decision if I start with PS4 or PS5 version…

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Working on a video for this myself, but yeah, it feels rough on PS5. I actually got motion sick with the frame rate jumping all over the place. Yet to try PS4 on PS5, but that's my next step.

(Dare I bring up the people who were clamouring for HFW to be a higher metascore because "objectively it runs with a solid frame rate therefore it's better than an 89"?)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah, I'm going SX for VRR along with the PC version. Sony really needs to get their VRR situation under control because I'd purchase the PS5 version.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If the perf is similar to CNT, then I would say the PS5 version is perfectly playable, as someone who is fairly sensitive to frame drops. Lack of VRR is definitely felt, but I wouldn't let this get in the way of playing a landmark (according to reviews) game.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Has there been an example of something like this happening before with PS4 via PS5 BC being better to play than just the native PS5 game? I really can't recall one

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not in a rush as I won't be getting it on day one. Hopefully, things iron out after a few more patches.

Would like to play on PS5 with there being fewer big drops (More 55-60 rather than the gap right now).
Though I'm playing bloodborne right now so could put up with it regardless lol.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in thinking there's no way to play the PS4 version of the game, on a PS5, using a PS5 disc? Is it only an option for those with a digital copy of the game?

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
I'm hoping the fact that I'm only playing on a 1080p TV will somewhat help the PS5 performance. That said, I survived the framerate on Bloodborne and Dark Souls.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still gonna play native PS5. There is no way I can go back to PS4 load times. 5 secs load is so much better than some frame drops.

DualSense Support, loading times and PS4->PS5 save game transfer infos are needed for final decision if I start with PS4 or PS5 version…

Network test were around 5 secs load times for PS5 and around 40ish for PS4.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Guess there will be stutters when you enter an area for the first time and after that not much on PC?
No, that is only true for the first kind of stutter.
A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in thinking there's no way to play the PS4 version of the game, on a PS5, using a PS5 disc? Is it only an option for those with a digital copy of the game?

Nope you can download the PS4 version if you have the PS5 disc

EDIT: nope you can't I'm dumb

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
VRR is really essential these days it seems, I don't know what the problem is with Sony that they can't update PS5 to enable it

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
For fuck sake, when is Sony going to add VRR for PS5 ? I've preordered PS5 version, now I wish I've had chosen Xbox Series X since I have a VRR compatible TV...

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully there's another patch by the time I get to it. Have the PS5 version preloaded but maybe I'll switch to PS4.

Kind of crazy a cross gen game can't even hit a consistent frame rate.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, straight up embarrassing, as are the people hand waving this because "VRR displays".

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, this confirms that game performance factors literally 0 percent into reviews scores.

I completely disagree with that approach, but it is what it is.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Astounding a game like this is struggling on...well, everything by the looks of it. And we've seen absolutely nothing to justify any of that. People made jokes this game would be buttery smooth on a toaster, and yet here we are, a PS4 era game struggling on PS5.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yup, definitely playing the PS4 version on PS5 then. Will play the PS5/PC version in a year or two if/when they are fixed.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Please hold off on discussing the game's performance until the day one patch that doesn't address performance. Yeesh.

Guess I'll install both the PS4 and PS5 versions and see if I can tolerate the 5.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Astounding a game like this is struggling on...well, everything by the looks of it. And we've seen absolutely nothing to justify any of that. People made jokes this game would be buttery smooth on a toaster, and yet here we are, a PS4 era game struggling on PS5.

Froms engine probably justifies it. Still, I reckon I will play fidelity on PS5.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Is the game cross-save on Playstation? Could I switch to PS4 version if the PS5 version is unsatisfying after a few hours?