• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 26, 2018
REALLY glad I didn't fall into the massive hype just like most here and other gaming communities. Learned my hard lesson with Battlefield 2042 and Cyberpunk 2077... even though those games were worse in launch (2042 is still bad atm).

Just gonna wait until the game is patched out in the upcoming months. Sucks to see the treatment all systems are getting when it comes to performances. Yet, it seems like it's getting a pass thanks to the massive hype and reviewers that don't even cover or even at least warn about the performances and slaps the "10/10 MASTERPEICE" sticker on the game... .

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is the game is so good I don't want to wait for a fix before I play. Who knows if it will actually be fixed I know Namco said they're aware. I've already died so many times to stutter but whatever I'm still progressing.

No 21:9 and these technical issues are just baffling.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Can only speak for myself, but what i read in the OP is hyperbole to me at least. I do have some stutters and drops to around ~48fps when in the open world and summoning the horse for example, but i got zero issues in dungeons or when fighting bosses. Certainly not enough to make me put the playthrough on pause while waiting for a patch. Reminds me of the RE Village launch where everyone complained about enemy death stutter when i had none.

5900x

1440p everything max except Grass at High i think.

There is some weirdness going on when exiting the game though, the .exe will crash then hang for around a minute as a suspended application before actually closing.
This is also recorded in the EventViewer:

Code:
Faulting application name: eldenring.exe, version: 1.2.1.0, time stamp: 0x62194edd
Faulting module name: eldenring.exe, version: 1.2.1.0, time stamp: 0x62194edd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001dda10d
Faulting process id: 0x28bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82b1f6772d30c
Faulting application path: C:\Spill\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Spill\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Report Id: 5f669d5e-ff31-4f04-ab64-9d03c9409595
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg

Galatico91

May 23, 2020
From Software needs a new engine and people talented on technical level. The game does not look good (art is top notch, but the graphics are inferior than 2014-2015 open world games) and cant run flawess on PC with RTX 3090 or PS5/XSX.

Then we look to Demons Souls, its not open world but its incredible beautiful, runs 1440p native and locked 60fps.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unfortunate to hear. Was tempted to get it on PC because of the decent discounts before launch, but didn't know how it'd run on a 1070, so have been leaning towards consoles.

Also, reading this title makes me think of someone at DF reciting that classic Picard line

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I can replicate those stutters in the exact same locations :-(

My main question now is, should I wait for a patch or should I get a refund and move on to greener pastures?

So in my experience those spots are some of the worst, as well as a bit in the starting area.

Generally speaking it's not been quite as bad with the loading stutter in later parts of the game. Its definitely noticeable and absolutely unacceptable, but its basically never felt unplayable to me, when on foot and sticking to one area usually no issues.

Obviously ymmv though, this port maybe more than any others.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
From Software needs a new engine and people talented on technical level. The game does not look good (art is top notch, but the graphics are inferior than 2014-2015 open world games) and cant run flawess on PC with RTX 3090 or PS5/XSX.

Then we look to Demons Souls, its not open world but its incredible beautiful, runs 1440p native and locked 60fps.
Getting them to just use UE4 or 5 is probably better than upgrading their old engine that is always problematic.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Luckily I'm not too sensitive to the stutters I'm getting, so not hampering my fun. But yeah if it bothers people, this game will do it in spades.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
A hard don't buy says it all I guess. I am enjoying the game on the PC, but seems to be a case of ignorance is bliss on my end. Hopefully it gets fixed and we all win.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I have to say they are about 10 seconds at most for me on XSX and they feel less. It may be dependent on location.

Also playing on Series X and average load tends to be like 5-7 seconds for me, depending on how far I'm going. Longest I've seen so far was about 11 seconds, and that was after that one chest.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
Can only speak for myself, but what i read in the OP is hyperbole to me at least. I do have some stutters and drops to around ~48fps when in the open world and summoning the horse for example, but i got zero issues in dungeons or when fighting bosses. Certainly not enough to make me put the playthrough on pause while waiting for a patch. Reminds me of the RE Village launch where everyone complained about enemy death stutter when i had none.

5900x

1440p everything max except Grass at High i think.

There is some weirdness going on when exiting the game though, the .exe will crash then hang for around a minute as a suspended application before actually closing.
This is also recorded in the EventViewer:

Code:
Faulting application name: eldenring.exe, version: 1.2.1.0, time stamp: 0x62194edd
Faulting module name: eldenring.exe, version: 1.2.1.0, time stamp: 0x62194edd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001dda10d
Faulting process id: 0x28bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82b1f6772d30c
Faulting application path: C:\Spill\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Spill\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Report Id: 5f669d5e-ff31-4f04-ab64-9d03c9409595
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Are you running logs ? I would love to see performance logs also for me the biggest beef is gysnc not working.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm around 8 hours in on PC and yeah the stuttering and pauses definitely suck, but it's not enough to get me to refund the game or anything. I'm just going to continue playing and hope From will fix it soon. Still enjoying it but I wouldn't recommend others buy it right now.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the community finds the fix for this asap.
I don't.
The community shouldn't be doing the development work that should have been done by the developers before the game launched. If they needed more time the publisher should have delayed it.
They got bailed out by the community before and not doing better is the result. So I hope this is on them alone and they fix it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
from has to be the most technically challenged aaa dev in the game right now

I wouldn't even call them a AAA developer. They are a B-Tier developer that got lucky with Demon's Souls and got a big enough hit that Bandai Namco invested in them for future projects. They are the same as they ever were the only thing that has changed is they got a lot more money they can invest in their projects.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I get the occasional stutter on my potato PC as shown on the video but on the whole I wouldn't consider it a big deal. Framerate-wise is all over the place during the open world, but at least in linear/enclosed areas it runs between 50~60fps, which I find to be surprisingly decent. I don't think the PC port is "unrecommendable" like Digital Foundry says, like it's some affront to PC gaming. Pre-release reports made me think this game was gonna be a total disaster on my PC, and frankly it isn't. I guess if you bought a gaming PC that cost thousands and dollars and are used to playing games at 144fps or whatever you may find this situation untenable lol. I personally know that I've dealt with much worse in the past, on console an PC alike. I guess I just came in with low expectations.

This engine is clearly some kind of mess and it needs massive overhaul going forward however.

Last edited:

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, a 3090 on lowest settings and its still is a stutter mess. I have a 1070 but which is still decent but glad I went with Series X version. I still get low framerate with VRR on my TV, but I haven't encountered any sudden hitches/stutters. Its smooth with no quick pauses, but dropped frames are noticeable.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3080 + 5900x with 64GB of RAM and a PCIe 4.0 SSD for storage. Plugged in to my crappy old 60hz 1080p TV, I still got major stutters in the first fight against the Tree Sentinel. It hardly prevents me from playing, but it was quite noticeable on what should have been a tremendously overpowered system.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, but no game should receive 10/10 left and right when it launches like this. And the "but reviewers can't review every hardware available and most probably played on console" is not an excuse. Consoles versions are also crap.
Welcome to AAA reviews haha

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
REALLY glad I didn't fall into the massive hype just like most here and other gaming communities. Learned my hard lesson with Battlefield 2042 and Cyberpunk 2077... even though those games were worse in launch (2042 is still bad atm).

Just gonna wait until the game is patched out in the upcoming months. Sucks to see the treatment all systems are getting when it comes to performances. Yet, it seems like it's getting a pass thanks to the massive hype and reviewers that don't even cover or even at least warn about the performances and slaps the "10/10 MASTERPEICE" sticker on the game... .
The game has obvious performance issues that need fixed, but this is extremely hyperbolic. Comparing it to 2042 and Cyberpunk is beyond absurd, the problems with those games lied well beyond just performance and went into the overall package just being flawed across the board.

Not to mention the performance issues for Elden Ring, on average aren't too egregious, especially on console where at worst it's just some unstable framerates. The game still runs mostly fine, looks decent, and is perfectly playable, which is why most people are still loving their experience. Literally the biggest issue with it, that I've had is the game hitching up with those infrequent stutter problems, which frankly are uncommon enough for me as to not fuss too much over. They're annoying, yes, and absolutely should be fixed, but they aren't completely tarnishing my experience with the game.

It feels like all nuance is tossed out the window the moment a From Software game decides to release.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
FROM is either lazy or incompetent. Embarrassing releasing in this state
This is the first time they've made a game using dx12, and it's also their first open world game. They've dealt with learning a new graphics api on top of the technical hurdles involved with adapting an engine to handle an open world. How good are you at stuff you do for the first time? It sucks that the game launched like this, but it's certainly not due to laziness, and unless you think people learning new shit are incompetent, it's not that either. Like every other dev, they can't work on a game indefinitely, and they had to make this game work across, what 5 platforms of varying capabilities? It's an issue of prioritization and developer bandwidth.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
This is the first time they've made a game using dx12, and it's also their first open world game. They've dealt with learning a new graphics api on top of the technical hurdles involved with adapting an engine to handle an open world. How good are you at stuff you do for the first time?

PS4/PS5 GNM and D3D12 on Xbox have virtually the same programming model as D3D12 on Windows. It's not a good excuse to say that they're "inexperienced" with something that should already be very familiar to their engineers.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
FROM has a track record. Let's not be their savior, ok?

Making a point against using lazy devs rhetoric is has nothing to do me being a stan for From. I have problems with this game as well. It could be any dev and considering the typical work week and hours involved in THIS industry no less, you would know laziness is not even a consideration here.

Not technically proficient as they could be is the much more the likely scenario.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even call them a AAA developer. They are a B-Tier developer that got lucky with Demon's Souls and got a big enough hit that Bandai Namco invested in them for future projects. They are the same as they ever were the only thing that has changed is they got a lot more money they can invest in their projects.
They're definitely very frugal with how they spend their money. Only with Activision's money, i.e. with Sekiro did they bother implementing some decent facial animation during cutscenes. In Elden's Ring it looks as shite as all their previous games did lol.

And it doesn't look like they have made any substantial improvements with how they model characters or render scenery since Bloodborne. Elden Ring looks immensely dated.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a sad state of launch. Thanks for the brilliant work Alex and the DF team, I was posting in the PC performance thread and yeah, performance was all over the place and terrible. I don't know how the development team goes about optimizations in DX12, but here's hoping they do something. I'm 10 hours in, and its been a wonderful game but its kind of shocking how abysmal the stutter is. Shader compilation stepping in familiar places mitigates the issues but then the randomness of the stutters on enemy behaviors, walking up steps, cutscenes - it's all very strange and super disappointing after the last couple FROM PC ports we got.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
PS4/PS5 GNM and D3D12 on Xbox have virtually the same programming model as D3D12 on Windows. It's not a good excuse to say that they're "inexperienced" with something that should already be very familiar to their engineers.
It doesn't matter if all of the platforms graphics api's are similar, if they're unfamiliar with it there's still going to be a learning process. And it is ridiculous to assert that they already should've known how to use this api when none of their previous games have used it. It's not like FROM is alone with regards to typical issues with DX12 either. It's clearly different enough from DX11, and relatively unused that the knowledge base for a lot of devs just isn't there yet.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
This is the first time they've made a game using dx12, and it's also their first open world game. They've dealt with learning a new graphics api on top of the technical hurdles involved with adapting an engine to handle an open world. How good are you at stuff you do for the first time? It sucks that the game launched like this, but it's certainly not due to laziness, and unless you think people learning new shit are incompetent, it's not that either. Like every other dev, they can't work on a game indefinitely, and they had to make this game work across, what 5 platforms of varying capabilities? It's an issue of prioritization and developer bandwidth.

They are clearly incompetent, 2022 still have a 60fps cap? Not to mention graphical setting that barely doesnt anything. If they want to launch a pc version, they are responsible to put out a competent pc port as simple as that. No reason to compare to othwr dev or other dx12 games. Other dev dont make games for them and just because other games have issues doesnt mean they get a pass. There are also good dx12 games so there are things that can be done.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
When your game is released in a poor state on EVERY single platform.
You fucked up. Simple as.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely very frugal with how they spend their money. Only with Activision's money, i.e. with Sekiro did they bother implementing some decent facial animation during cutscenes. In Elden's Ring it looks as shite as all their previous games did lol.

And it doesn't look like they have made any substantial improvements with how they model characters or render scenery since Bloodborne. Elden Ring looks immensely dated.

The fact that they force V-Sync on and just flat out don't support higher frame rates than 60 on PC is just wild.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
It doesn't matter if all of the platforms graphics api's are similar, if they're unfamiliar with it there's still going to be a learning process. And it is ridiculous to assert that they already should've known how to use this api when none of their previous games have used it. It's not like FROM is alone with regards to typical issues with DX12 either. It's clearly different enough from DX11, and relatively unused that the knowledge base for a lot of devs just isn't there yet.

As someone with lots of graphics programming experience I find these defenses naive. I don't consider it incompetence, I merely consider it shipped without adequate testing. Anyone spending a decent amount of QA testing time on the PC version would have noticed this pipeline compilation problem, so they either knew about it and chose to ship anyway, or they didn't know about it because they didn't test it.

Notably the Steam Deck runs the game fine using VKD3D and Valve's own pipeline cache insertion from the Steam Overlay.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
They are clearly incompetent, 2022 still have a 60fps cap? Not to mention graphical setting that barely doesnt anything. If they want to launch a pc version, they are responsible to put out a competent pc port as simple as that. No reason to compare to othwr dev or other dx12 games. Other dev dont make games for them and just because other games have issues doesnt mean they get a pass. There are also good dx12 games so there are things that can be done.
I'm not saying they should've done better. It is silly to introduce a cap like that, and there should be more configurable graphics settings. But saying they're straight up incompetent is unwarranted. If this game didn't run at all, that'd be one thing. It's a mediocre PC port, and that sucks, but it isn't that uncommon.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time they've made a game using dx12, and it's also their first open world game. They've dealt with learning a new graphics api on top of the technical hurdles involved with adapting an engine to handle an open world. How good are you at stuff you do for the first time?

Stop it, that is a horrible excuse. If that is the case then they should have delayed the game until they had a better understanding of dx12 and how to design a technically proficient open world. Or they should have launched as "early access" so that people understood that its going to be technically half-baked. Instead, they launched it as a complete, finished, full priced product they were happy with.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hmm.

I've played for about 14 hours now and I have had one stutter, that lasted half a second.

I guess technically they are correct, in that sense, but I just haven't had nearly the issues that they are reporting.
It's literally impossible that you have the one unicorn download of Elden Ring that doesn't have the same issues being widely reported across the internet. Saying otherwise is just a worthless exercise.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I guarantee you they knew about it. You hit the stuttering on literally the first open world enemy you see, and in any case QA generally finds obvious issues like this; it's down to whether the devs are given time / resources to solve the issues.

The game is still playable, so I understand the decision to ship regardless, but I hope that they can resolve the problems over the next month or two.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
As someone with lots of graphics programming experience I find these defenses naive. I don't consider it incompetence, I merely consider it shipped without adequate testing. Anyone spending a decent amount of QA testing time on the PC version would have noticed this pipeline compilation problem, so they either knew about it and chose to ship anyway, or they didn't know about it because they didn't test it.

Notably the Steam Deck runs the game fine using VKD3D and Valve's own pipeline cache insertion from the Steam Overlay.

That's a different claim than your other post. Of course they shipped it before it was ready, and there's no way they didn't know of these issue. Like a lot of games, it probably came down to resource allocation. I'm pushing back against the claims of incompetence by people itt that couldn't get a fucking triangle to render if their life depended on it.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
No, i only use the Steam overlay to monitor FPS. Using RTSS or other overlays are known to affect performance/stability in plenty of games in the past.
I find it interesting that you don't seem as sensitve to the issues people are having, that you confidently claim your lowest fps drop is 48 but you don't use tools to confrim it because it causes issues with certain games. Do you believe the tools DF use to bench games are responsible for the poor results or they aren't accurate?