• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
What annoys me is that on all the typical discussion boards, many people are straight-up denying these problems even exist and blaming other people's PCs.

And that is why we'll keep struggling with this nonsense on PC. There's no shortage of people willing to defend major problems with new releases.
Well a major gaming channel like Digital Foundry has called it out though. So hopefully things will change.

Gameplay so far is a solid 10/10 for me, but yeah performance issues are really making it difficult to consider it a "10/10 game". This is honestly also another reason numbered scores in reviews need to be dropped, numbers don't convey the reviewer's experience.
Or add a "performance" category and dock the score there. For me this has always been a must have category for scoring.

The stutter is an integral part of the game's design, it adds to the difficulty of the game, so the PC version is the ultimate edition for Soulsborne players.
hah!

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Hmm.

I've played for about 14 hours now and I have had one stutter, that lasted half a second.

I guess technically they are correct, in that sense, but I just haven't had nearly the issues that they are reporting.

They will crop up. What I've found is that they are completely inconsistent.

I don't notice some of the stutter they mention like when viewing new enemies, new attacks, etc. I see them most consistently area loading area. The most terrible ones are the ones that just hit me randomly. Like I will be running to the boss room and after a few times of retrying I will get the weird stutter/catch-up. Or just randomly riding around.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
So this issue seems to be shader compilation and running on latter DirectX version. It's soley on Fromsoft to make it run better since the user can't do much about it unless they keep running the game and let every shader compile which is a silly thing to do.
Can't quite signal the Durante symbol to the skies i suppose, i'll hold onto this version since it's not like i'll be playing any other games this year. When even the official twitter account is posting statements about it which is really unusual unless there are dire urgent news than i think they've got the memo.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
Luckily I'm not getting much stuttering or bad frame drops yet but the screen tearing is horrible. I've put 5 hours in and it's still very playable for me.

3600/3070/32gb 4k high-max setting 55-60fps average.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose making a directx11 version isn't a minor task? At least it's not about being a bug ridden broken game and more not being performant. If ambitions are as high as they appear to be, they'll have to work something out.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Colossal failure by Miyazaki and his team. Especially with how many people on steam are being let down

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
kinda harsh the video, but fair i guess.
i'm enjoying it despite the stutters. my old 980Ti is holding up suprisingly well at 1080p with high settings. 60 fps (when no stutters).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I'm not getting much stuttering or bad frame drops yet but the screen tearing is horrible. I've put 5 hours in and it's still very playable for me.

3600/3070/32gb 4k high-max setting 55-60fps average.
The stuttering is inherent to the game regardless of hardware according to DFs findings. It affects any hardware setup and is unavoidable.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
10 hours in playing on PC version with 30-50 FPS...

I guess I just can't be bothered to not play this. I only notice the framedrops, which are very annoying, but my machine isn't really the best out there. I would be annoyed with stutters too if I had a beefier PC.

Hopefully a patch will come soon which will improve the performance.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
What does "alter res for performance" mean? Came here from the video to ask. I'm at 1440p. Should I go down to 1080? Would probably look strange.

Oct 12, 2020
The fact that so many reviewers gave this game perfect, or near perfect scores, despite technical issues across ALL platforms is a complete joke, full stop.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, hopefully this gets some performance patches on all platforms soon. I'm on XSX performance mode with a VRR TV, so it's been damn near perfect for me. But I should have to rely on VRR like that

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So this issue seems to be shader compilation and running on latter DirectX version. It's soley on Fromsoft to make it run better since the user can't do much about it unless they keep running the game and let every shader compile which is a silly thing to do.
Can't quite signal the Durante symbol to the skies i suppose, i'll hold onto this version since it's not like i'll be playing any other games this year. When even the official twitter account is posting statements about it which is really unusual unless there are dire urgent news than i think they've got the memo.
Despite my tag, I work on many aspect of our gfx driver so I'm more of a gfx driver engineer with a focus on display. I have coded and worked on the D3D pipeline in the past, but not so much anymore so that knowledge is almost lost.

However, I remember working to get a very popular game to stop stuttering on our GPU. We had to rewrite our shader compilation algorithm and introduce a fast compilation method to prevent the stuttering from happening. The root was less optimized shaders were being used that caused performance degradation over time so the fix was system wide. It was similar to this stuttering for us and it took sometime to correct it. So it can be handled from the GPU side, but I wouldn't recommend it because it introduced many problems for us.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020
Dang, hopefully this gets some performance patches on all platforms soon. I'm on XSX performance mode with a VRR TV, so it's been damn near perfect for me. But I should have to rely on VRR like that

I play exclusively on a Series X. Tell me, how long are the load times after you die to get back into the game? I've been hearing not so encouraging things about this.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm not buying it until this shit is fixed. Wish more people did this. The only way these devs are going to get the message.
i was gifted so i mostly just feel bad for the person who got me it, neither one of us is able to play properly due to overworld stutters. it'll go from around 60 to... just coming to a halt for a few frames and then you're dead, because it's a skill based action game with high damage, of course you're dead.

anyone who reviewed it highly on pc is highly questionable

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
games been alright for me for the first hour in 51-58fps high 1080p on i5 9400f and 1650 super oc at 1080p also have it on ssd havent had any stuttering/loading issues yet. I didnt update the nvidia driver still on 511.23, windows 11
also playing in offline mode.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
i was gifted so i mostly just feel bad for the person who got me it, neither one of us is able to play properly due to overworld stutters. it'll go from around 60 to... just coming to a halt for a few frames and then you're dead, because it's a skill based action game with high damage, of course you're dead.

anyone who reviewed it highly on pc is highly questionable
Or they all just had top of the line hardware and just brute forced through it? Some people seem to be doing just fine at 4k60, but they have 3080 TIs or 3090s and top tier cpus

It's unfortunate though when reviewers disregard in-your-face performance or technical issues

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
is this THE video we were all waiting for?

the one they did hold back because FROM asked them to wait on a patch?

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Or they all just had top of the line hardware and just brute forced through it? Some people seem to be doing just fine at 4k60, but they have 3080 TIs or 3090s and top tier cpus

It's unfortunate though when reviewers disregard in-your-face performance or technical issues
it's happening to people with the absolute best hardware and the video goes into why, it's dx12. you're gonna face those stutters no matter what on PC

if they say they're fine they need to post proof lmao

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

watch the video
youtu.be

Elden Ring PC Performance Simply Isn't Good Enough

Over the years, From Software's PC ports have gradually increased in quality - but something's gone badly wrong with Elden Ring, starting with its profound s...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

While my experience has been a lot better since I used the Reddit shader fix, I still have occasional stuttering and I have a 3090. Playing offline might be the key to reducing this for me too. I've noticed that playing online introduced more stuttering to my game, but all setups are different.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
it's happening to people with the absolute best hardware and the video goes into why, it's dx12. you're gonna face those stutters no matter what on PC

if they say they're fine they need to post proof lmao

Yeah. For the people saying "I'm not getting stutters" or "buttery smooth for me": You are wrong, straight up. I don't mean to be rude but this isn't a system by system issue, it's an issue with how the game fundamentally works on PC. If it doesn't bother you, fair enough, that's great for you, but don't try to say it isn't happening on your system because it is. If you don't care much about performance and these things are not noticeable to you or don't bother you then fine (many people are in this camp, nothing wrong with it whatsoever), but just don't comment on it then.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah. For the people saying "I'm not getting stutters" or "buttery smooth for me": You are wrong, straight up. I don't mean to be rude but this isn't a system by system issue, it's an issue with how the game fundamentally works on PC. If it doesn't bother you, fair enough, that's great for you, but don't try to say it isn't happening on your system because it is. If you don't care much about performance and these things are not noticeable to you or don't bother you then fine (many people are in this camp, nothing wrong with it whatsoever), just don't comment on it then.
If it's a shader compilation issue, no PC is safe unless there is a specific fix targeted for it to reduce/eliminate it.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
I haven't been this conflicted about a game in a long time, I am absolutly having a blast with the games content but the performance stuff has been nothing but a bummer, super glad this confirms I can't build my way out of these problems. I was up looking at new CPU's all evening and this morning!

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
While i knew this already, this needed to be said way earlier, From shouldn't get special treatment.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I've encountered issues. I seem to get more at the start of a gaming session as opposed to later on, but new zones/enemies always seem to cause a frame drop. My computer can largely power through these, but it has definitely been distracting.

Oct 12, 2020
I play exclusively on a Series X. Tell me, how long are the load times after you die to get back into the game? I've been hearing not so encouraging things about this.

Honestly, the load times haven't annoyed me a single time in my 10 hours of play. The performance without a vrr tv is absolutely disgusting though.

I have an LGCX, so I have VRR. I was watching somebody stream the game on PC earlier and the load times after death seemed to be 3 to 5 seconds at most. If Series X load times are over 10 seconds, that's no acceptable to me given the capabilities of the box. Gonna wait and see how this all plays out.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
3080 owner and I still went with PS5 version. Love, love me some From but pc is their weak point. A community patch will come down the line and possibly fix/enhance things a lot but i don't wait to for that, I want to play the game now. I see frame rate drops sometimes on the PS5 in certain area under certain circumstances but that's to be expected for what the game is trying to pull off.
What is that exactly?

Because despite the strong art direction, this game definitely nothing special in terms of sheer graphical fidelity.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
So if shader compilation is the main issue it sounds like a lot of this could be solved by From compiling shaders ahead of time. That's pretty hopeful considering there are other games that already do this.
ah the COD method of compile shaders at the loading screen after every patch or driver update for a few minutes. I'd be fine with this if it meant no more stuttering in game

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Despite my tag, I work on many aspect of our gfx driver so I'm more of a gfx driver engineer with a focus on display. I have coded and worked on the D3D pipeline in the past, but not so much anymore so that knowledge is almost lost.

However, I remember working to get a very popular game to stop stuttering on our GPU. We had to rewrite our shader compilation algorithm and introduce a fast complication method to prevent the stuttering from happening. The root was less optimized shaders were being used that caused performance degradation over time so the fix was system wide. It was similar to this stuttering for us and it took sometime to correct it. So it can be handled from the GPU side, but I wouldn't recommend it because it introduced many problems for us.
Speaking of GPS, im hearing scuttle buttthat nvidia was also hacked and ransomwared recently no? I have friends in IT consulting that was scrambling last night to disable all driver auto updating in case the driver distribution was compromised too
www.bloomberg.com

Nvidia Breach Seen as Ransomware Attack Unconnected to Ukraine

A cyber breach suffered by Nvidia Corp. in recent days appears to have been a ransomware attack that’s not connected to the crisis in Ukraine, according to a person familiar with the incident.

videocardz.com

NVIDIA allegedly hacked the ransomware attackers back by encrypting 1TB of its stolen data - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA hacks the attackers Vx-underground, a group sharing samples of the malware and viruses, has reported on Twitter that the supposed NVIDIA ransomware attack was performed by a South American group called LAPU$. Supposed messages from the hacking group, Source: @vx-underground The group...

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I can replicate those stutters in the exact same locations :-(

My main question now is, should I wait for a patch or should I get a refund and move on to greener pastures?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Ugh and to think I almost made sure to have a gaming PC ready to play the optimal version of Elden Ring. I hate shader compilation stutter.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oh dear, the EXTREME screen tearing from 1 min to 2mins of the video… borderline unplayable
Vsync and other screen tear preventions were one of my FAVORITE things about last gen. PS3 gen was goddam horrible with screen tearing like it would give me a headache, it was atrocious. It should never come back in a game again.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
While my experience has been a lot better since I used the Reddit shader fix, I still have occasional stuttering and I have a 3090. Playing offline might be the key to reducing this for me too. I've noticed that playing online introduced more stuttering to my game, but all setups are different.

Stutters are not the only issue of the game, currently.

While super high end users (that includes less than 3% on steam btw) may be fine performance wise besides stutters and asset loads, the fact is that the visuals are saved by art direction, but technically speaking this is very mediocre and yet it cripples the majority of rigs and have frequent frame drops.
The optimization itself + the fact the settings for each option all seem wonky and force "maximum" in a lot of cases, is just pathetic.

It's also super inconsistent.
My game will be at 60 then drop to 54 randomly while nothing is happening, if i turn the camera it's gonna drop frames like hell for 4 seconds, then I respin the camera and it's locked 60.

This is just insane. Each area in the game seems to have different issues so there isn't even a "fix" that sorts it out entirely.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I have an LGCX, so I have VRR. I was watching somebody stream the game on PC earlier and the load times after death seemed to be 3 to 5 seconds at most. If Series X load times are over 10 seconds, that's no acceptable to me given the capabilities of the box. Gonna wait and see how this all plays out.
Well in IGN'n performance video the Series X took 19.7 seconds for a respawn compared to 6.3 on PS5.