• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to the person who doesn't care about portability and prefers to play on a console, this version is a complete non-factor and doesn't matter to them how well or bad it runs. what happens more than people telling console players how portability is a good tradeoff for downgraded graphics is that some console players don't seem to understand (or in some cases, bothered or annoyed) how someone would prefer a portable version even if it comes with downgrades.
Yeah. On the one hand you get "pfft, looks like shit" and on the other you get "whoa it looks so good (for running on the Switch/a portable device)".

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, another thread about a DF switch analysis full of drive-by and lowkey trolling by people acting almighty on other people's choice of platforms. Man I really missed that.

On topic now, I'm probably going to reinstall the game and see if it's finally the occasion to make another playthrough but through the arcade mode this time around.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Some people don't really see the appeal of 'on the go' - I'm one of them. I've always gamed at home and though I've got a Switch, I can't really get into playing it on trains or buses or whatever. It came in great when I was on holiday, but even then, I was playing for an hour or two to wind down in the hotel, not on trains or buses.

Everyone's different: if some people prefer an on-the-go experience, all power to them - I'm glad that option's there - but I do find it odd how the 'but can you play it on the go' argument is often tabled as some kind of primary perk for all users - it's really not for everyone and if a person doesn't value that, you can't expect them to see it as a reasonable trade-off.

Did you kill the Vita?

Oct 29, 2017
Very impressive to see them manage to pull off another resolution boost, while adding cube map reflections, video capture support AND while improving the framerate. And that's after they already introduced more optimisations after the last patch.

It's really cool to see them squeeze more and more out of the system over time! It's not often that we really see this kind of steady improvement in the kind of performance that developers get out of a new system in semi-real time!

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
to the person who doesn't care about portability and prefers to play on a console, this version is a complete non-factor and doesn't matter to them how well or bad it runs. what happens more than people telling console players how portability is a good tradeoff for downgraded graphics is that some console players don't seem to understand how someone would prefer a portable version even if it comes with downgrades.

I see equal head-butting on either side - purely anecdotal - but yeah, I suppose I find it easier to relate to one side because I don't personally see the value in the other. Doesn't mean I don't find videos like these hugely interesting or informative, though - I'm a tech nerd at heart, so this is always gonna sit and watch these.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh look, another thread about a DF switch analysis full of drive-by and lowkey trolling by people acting almighty on other people's choice of platforms. Man I really missed that.

On topic now, I'm probably going to reinstall the game and see if it's finally the occasion to make another playthrough but through the arcade mode this time around.
it's so obnoxious. why would you even come to a thread just to proclaim that you have no interest in playing a game on a platform when the thread is about a game on that platform.

I see equal head-butting on either side.
eh, i feel like one side of that head butting has no place in this thread but whatever.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive to see them manage to pull off another resolution boost, while adding cube map reflections AND while improving the framerate. And that's after they already introduced more optimisations after the last patch.

It's really cool to see them squeeze more and more out of the system over time! It's not often that we really see this kind of steady improvement in the kind of performance that developers get out of a new system in semi-real time!
It's pretty damn awesome. I've seen a few people say it's likely because of the current development of Doom Eternal on Switch, and they're finding these little tricks they didn't get to with Doom. So now they're able to go back and use that knowledge to improve it.

Diggin' it. Bethesda has been awesome for the Switch.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Did you kill the Vita?

Hahahah! I still have a Vita, but I had the same problem. Shame too, because I know there's some games on there I want to play (Soul Sacrifice, I'm looking at you), but I've got ham hands and those thumb sticks just don't fit me. Incidentally, Switch is probably the only handheld I've found comfortable to play.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I never had an issue with DOOM on Switch from the original release, thought it was great (even after beating it at PC launch with 60fps, high settings). Definitely got slightly better with the patches over time.

I do think your mileage not only depends on preference, but HOW you play the game. I personally never play at super high difficulty levels and almost always the campaign not Arcade mode. While doing that, as they also mention in the video, my experience has been pretty damn close to a consistent locked 30fps.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Some people don't really see the appeal of 'on the go' - I'm one of them. I've always gamed at home and though I've got a Switch, I can't really get into playing it on trains or buses or whatever. It came in great when I was on holiday, but even then, I was playing for an hour or two to wind down in the hotel, not on trains or buses.

Everyone's different: if some people prefer an on-the-go experience, all power to them - I'm glad that option's there - but I do find it odd how the 'but can you play it on the go' argument is often tabled as some kind of primary perk for all users - it's really not for everyone and if a person doesn't value that, you can't expect them to see it as a reasonable trade-off.

I mostly play on the go and have a high end PC for gaming, but still have put more hours into DOOM on switch than PC. The portability, for me, applies to portability in my house as well. I can start on the TV, wife wants to watch a show so I pop it out and play on my couch in handheld, then can take it back to the bedroom at night if I want to get some more in. On top of how snappy it is to just wake the switch up from sleep mode and be back into the game instantly, that just fits my life way better than booting up the computer, logging into Steam, and playing on that.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
eh, i feel like one side of that head butting has no place in this thread but whatever.

It's a tech-thread on a dedicated gaming forum and it's the internet to boot - there's gonna be a lot of different opinions. It's just part and parcel, I guess.

I mostly play on the go and have a high end PC for gaming, but still have put more hours into DOOM on switch than PC. The portability, for me, applies to portability in my house as well. I can start on the TV, wife wants to watch a show so I pop it out and play on my couch in handheld, then can take it back to the bedroom at night if I want to get some more in. On top of how snappy it is to just wake the switch up from sleep mode and be back into the game instantly, that just fits my life way better than booting up the computer, logging into Steam, and playing on that.

Yeah, I can appreciate that - I have two TVs and two PS4s in front room so that the wife and I can each watch/play what we want and I try to avoid gaming (or using any screens) in bed, because my sleep pattern is already a mess. Horses for courses.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
This and Wolfenstein 2 are my biggest disappointments on the Switch due to the poor IQ. Way too blurry for me in portable mode. They didn't look too bad in docked mode, but I typically use my Switch in portable.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tech-thread on a dedicated gaming forum and it's the internet to boot - there's gonna be a lot of different opinions. It's just part and parcel, I guess.
opinions about how the game runs and someone thinking it's unacceptable? sure. stuff like these seem a bit weird tho.

I bought this on a PSN sale recently for €8 and enjoyed the hell out of it. It ran very well on my pro. I couldn't imagine playing it in 30 fps and under though. I'd probably get a headache.
My laptop runs it at 1080p 120fps

If someone really wanted to, they could play the PS4 version via remote play on a Vita too

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
There are always different expectations for what is acceptable for everyone when it comes to graphics.

People who typically play on consoles or 60hz displays can probably adapt to 30fps action better than those used to a 144hz display in 3D games, for instance.

My original comment was about playing it on the go though - someone said "Good luck with that" or something in regards to someone getting it on another platform, insinuating that the Switch was the only version you could play on the go.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to play it on the run. Chilling on my couch is where it's at. I get motion sickness if I look at screens (movies included) when moving so I could only imagine what a 30fps game would do to me.
Why are people attacking this post? The dude just said looking at screens on the go makes him sick and that it would probably be worse if the screen he's looking at on the go has a less than smooth framerate, it's got nothing to do with not playing 30FPS games lol.

Oct 26, 2017
My laptop runs it at 1080p 120fps

If someone really wanted to, they could play the PS4 version via remote play on a Vita too
That's fantastic but I'd imagine your laptop costs a lot more than the Switch and Remote Play is in no way comparable to playing in handheld mode on the Switch. I've tried it and, well, saying it ran like shit would be an understatement. Not to mention, far more people have a Switch than a gaming laptop or the Vita so they don't exactly hold much relevance for most

My original comment was about playing it on the go though - someone said "Good luck with that" or something in regards to someone getting it on another platform, insinuating that the Switch was the only version you could play on the go.
Yeah, playing on the go has more than one option but the Switch is the one most relevant for most people, especially as the comparison is with the PS4 and XB1, which is the point people were making in the first place. What does playing on a laptop or a Vita via remote play have to do with that, especially when they're not viable options for the vast majority of people?

Last edited:

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've actually been waiting for a look at that too, considering the spotty history of these PC survival games on consoles. I guess another look at DOOM is good too, though...

Yeah this Doom port was definitely interesting but we've seen enough already now, IQ is what it is like the dude says in the intro and it runs decently in handheld mode but I don't think there's much room for improvement and honestly who cares about it at this point. :p

Subnautica is supposed to be an excellent game, it was a trainwreck at launch, I bought it but haven't played it yet. Noticed it's at 1.05 already so there must be some improvements made. DF seems to be really interested in Panic Button so give that game the spotlight please.

Oct 25, 2017
I played the PC version, 144hz, 1440p.

I enjoy the Switch version more. Natively supported gyro + portability when I want it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I played the PC version, 144hz, 1440p.

I enjoy the Switch version more. Natively supported gyro + portability when I want it.

Excuse me what?? I wasn't aware of that at all - how good is it? I loved the gyro aiming in BotW for reference.

Might pick this up on the Switch if the gyro aiming is decent. Also nice to see that the developer is supporting the title so well.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me what?? I wasn't aware of that at all - how good is it? I loved the gyro aiming in BotW for reference.

Might pick this up on the Switch if the gyro aiming is decent. Also nice to see that the developer is supporting the title so well.
Watch the two videos that were posted. I'm using gyro (though I have the sensitivity down pretty far since my right joycon has some drift issues) and I'm pretty sure the other person is also using them.

They work really well. It's easy to tell who's using them and who's not in the multiplayer.

Oct 25, 2017

It's really good; keep in mind it's full time gyro and not just 'when pulling out a bow' gyro, so it'll take some adjustment and tweaking, but it has the adjustment and tweaking options that Zelda didn't, so there's that.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
For 30 fps complainers.

You could use the same argument that why play Destiny 2 30 fps on consoles when PC version is 60. Or why play Dark Souls 3 on consoles when PC version is 60.

the list goes on and on...

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
wow, thanks for confirming everyone! Found out that Wolfenstein 2 also has this feature. I'm much more inclined to pick these up at some stage in the future - perhaps during a sale.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not to mention, far more people have a Switch than a gaming laptop or the Vita so they don't exactly hold much relevance for most
Vita aside, I'd bet a lot more people have laptops capable of running doom than they have nintendo switches (Doom isn't a super highly demanding game on PC, technically. Basically any laptop with a dedicated GPU, even like an MX150 can play the game at Switch like levels, 720p+ 30fps+. Even budget gaming GPUs like the 1050ti will deliver strikingly stronger performance) I'm just saying there are options for portable doom. My go to portable one is personally Doom 2, I like how the levels are broken up it's easy to just do one or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Vita aside, I'd bet a lot more people have laptops capable of running doom than they have nintendo switches (Doom isn't a super highly demanding game on PC, technically. Basically any laptop with a dedicated GPU, even like an MX150 can play the game as Switch like levels. 720p+ 30fps+)
thank u 4 ur lovely informative post

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vita aside, I'd bet a lot more people have laptops capable of running doom than they have nintendo switches (Doom isn't a super highly demanding game on PC, technically. Basically any laptop with a dedicated GPU, even like an MX150 can play the game at Switch like levels, 720p+ 30fps+. Even budget gaming GPUs like the 1050ti will deliver strikingly stronger performance) I'm just saying there are options for portable doom. My go to portable one is personally Doom 2, I like how the levels are broken up it's easy to just do one or two.
I wonder how many of these laptops are used as a gaming machine, though.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I can only think of one laptop that is not considerably bulkier than a Switch. You guys are being ridiculous, lol. I wonder if back in the day people complained about Game Boy Color games not looking like PS1/N64 games.

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch versions of these games are different experiences than their 60fps counterparts, even though they are the same game. But they are quite cohesive and enjoyable on their own, and continue to improve.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes. Laprops are both cheap and super portable. Any sub $400 laptop is not going to be running those games at the argued about benches.

The whole thing is the height of disingenuous argumentation

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fully. laptops aren't even convenient enough to play games away from a desk in your own house, not many people carry a laptop out of the house to play a game. they're technically portable devices, but they serve completely different purpose compared to a portable gaming system.
portables are great for playing outside, and also inside when you don't want to be tethered to your tv. no other device fills their place in those instances.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
it's obvious that it doesn't run as well as the other versions, no one can deny that, but some people value some things over others.
I look forward to business trips now as it gives me more excuses opportunities to play the Switch at 40,000 feet.

Some people don't really see the appeal of 'on the go' - I'm one of them. I've always gamed at home and though I've got a Switch, I can't really get into playing it on trains or buses or whatever.
IMO, people undersell the convenience of grabbing the Switch and continuing a game inside of 3 seconds even at home.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That is extremely impressive.
That's undocked too.
Watch the two videos that were posted. I'm using gyro (though I have the sensitivity down pretty far since my right joycon has some drift issues) and I'm pretty sure the other person is also using them.

They work really well. It's easy to tell who's using them and who's not in the multiplayer.
Yeah, I always use gyro, I think that was tabletop mode but handheld works as well.

I wonder why it has a worse framerate when docked than undocked. Undocked basically locks to 30FPS (albeit with bad frame pacing) many scenes that have bad framerate when docked. Why doesn't the resolution just get slightly lowered in docked mode to maintain the framerate up?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
video capture of my noob ass playing the game (handheld mode)

IMO, people undersell the convenience of grabbing the Switch and continuing a game inside of 3 seconds even at home.
yeah. i can finish 50 hour games on switch in half the time it would take to finish them in front of a tv. you're just able to play more when you take the tv out of the equation and add the instant sleep/wake.

It kinda frustrates me that they just won't do a deep dive on the Wolfenstein II port beyond "They fixed it somewhat", because twice the pixel count in the courthouse scene when docked and a minimum of 28FPS v. 20FPS while improving the resolution while fighting the Zitadelle in New York undocked is not "somewhat improved".
damn, these improvements are very impressive.

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Ah yes. Laprops are both cheap and super portable. Any sub $400 laptop is not going to be running those games at the argued about benches.

You can get a HP Pavilion with a 1050ti at Walmart for under $500 right now and if you look on slickdeals or somewhere, laptops with 1050/1050tis might be cheaper than you think. This will also run on those GPD WIN 2 handheld things.

I'm not trying to 'undersell the convenience' or argue disingenuously. The original post I was replying to was talking down to someone about buying the PS4 version
Now... try to play that version on the run... Good luck.

I'm just saying you can play it on the go without a Switch

Oct 25, 2017
You can get a HP Pavilion with a 1050ti at Walmart for under $500 right now and if you look on slickdeals or somewhere, laptops with 1050/1050tis might be cheaper than you think. This will also run on those GPD WIN 2 handheld things.

I'm not trying to 'undersell the convenience' or argue disingenuously. The original post I was replying to was talking down to someone about buying the PS4 version

No one cares.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

HP pavilion is like what 15-16 inch screen. Its bulky as heck. And while you could get a Switch for less thsn msrp the discussion is slways around msrp.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

playing a game on a laptop outside or inside the house is a different experience than playing on a dedicated portable console. it's clear what someone who says "you can't play the ps4 version on the run" means. a, that's a factual statement and b, there are other solutions (i'm sure you can even plug your pc tower to a power generator and play outside as well) but none of them are as convenient as playing a native version of the game on a dedicated handheld.