• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm a big fan when John goes beyond graphical analysis.

He had a unique voice and approach to games.

From all the coverage it's the only one I've seen with the centred gun, references and clips of the other games and who called out the Doom II music.

šŸ‘

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Megatextures was one of the first versions of virtual texturing. The general idea of indirect texturing is solid and being used a lot in games nowadays. It's the idea of unique textures that wasn't practical. Having unique texturing just forces a generic compression over all surfaces and does not scale very well. There are cases where you can for example use procedural methods or repeating textures with procedural splatting for a great result. And you can still have the option to use fine detailed unique images where needed.

Last edited:

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Megatextures was one of the first versions of virtual texturing. The general idea of indirect texturing is solid and being used a lot in games nowadays. It's the idea of unique textures that wasn't practical. Having unique texturing just forces a generic compression over all surfaces and does not scale very well. There are cases where you can for example use procedural methods or repeating textures with procedural splatting for a great result. And you can still have the option to use fine detailed unique images where needed.
Also do not forget this was a software, cpu bound process (ok IO really, but it was driven from CPU bound algorithms)

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
The snowy level looks to satisfy that Metroid Prime itch.

The original was surprisingly Metroid Prime like for what's a pure FPS. Stuff like looking for the collectibles was like looking for missile expansions, getting the double jump to progress is an obvious parallel, and just the feeling of jumping around the platforms was very Metroid Prime. The only thing it's really missing is an interconnected world instead of a series of stages.

Not that I want it to be Metroid Prime. I'm happy for it to be Doom.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If Series X is indeed 12+TF I wonder if it could run this in 4K/60 at something similar to PC maxed out settings.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

Cannot wait to hear more on what solution they moved to.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2016 and Eternal are a bit different in that they encourage close-quarter combat and constantly cycling through weapons. It's not a traditional FPS but it's still a FPS.

2016 also has a good story, but it won't be the reason you play it. The story is interspersed throughout the gameplay and many bits are optional.

I'd recommend getting 2016 cheap if you're interested in Eternal. I think it's dropped to below $10 before on Steam. Currently $20 USD.

To me, those are "traditional" FPS' ;)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The gun being in the middle of the screen looks weird
It's the only way I play Doom 2016, honestly. I think it just feels right and also offers something that feels very different from other shooters.

...and yeah, it's a throwback to classic Doom. It's how I also prefer to play the original Unreal since it was an option there. :D

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
You:

Me: Megatextures were never good and the stamping process was too manual art intensive and repetitive to create actual unique non-tiling art - the stampings were obvious copy paste jobs. Also the baking of lighting into said textures...

I had to laugh when someone asked Carmack shortly after the release of Rage if there'd be a high-res texture pack and he said it "[wouldn't] help much because most source textures [don't] actually have any more detail."

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The new lead renderer programmer at iD Tiago Sousa has really been putting in amazing work. He took John Carmack's existing work and made it more efficient, more robust and even helped make the geometry 5 times that of DOOM 2016. Being an ex CryEngine dev, I can see how.

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw people referencing some guy named Dark1x earlier and was immediately reminded of some old poster that had been around GAF/NeoGAF since maybe 20 years ago that I used to occasionally argue with since he'd relentlessly go off about how certain games, some that I loved, didn't have a stable enough framerate and were therefore either unworthy or unplayable

But no that guy was..... dark10x.... this is.... dark1x....

šŸ¤”

Holy shit the guy has made a career out of this, he realizes....

That's honestly amazing. Digital Foundry does good shit. :)

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a bug or enemies can really just froze in mid-air lol? Its 2020 you know (and Hexen handle this better in '95)

nsh5iKG.jpg

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
curious to see how it will run on lower end graphics cards, will it even be playable with a GTX 1050!?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if this one is going to have some kind of raytracing support?

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Beautiful and im liking the addition of colours to the overall look, hoping my 1060 will be able to deliver

Feb 10, 2018
It's the only way I play Doom 2016, honestly. I think it just feels right and also offers something that feels very different from other shooters.

...and yeah, it's a throwback to classic Doom. It's how I also prefer to play the original Unreal since it was an option there. :D

Indeed, I supposed I'm so used to the gun being offset in most modern shooters.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Is there any reason to believe this game will preform better on next gen consoles? The lines have been so blurry lately.

I hope they optimize for the Pro because I'd rather not get an X this close to next gen

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I haven't seen any mention of it in interviews, but I'd love to know who on the Doom Eternal staff has brought the metroid prime influence.

Doom 2016 already felt like it in a lot of ways, and now we have visor reflections?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still being worked on and hasn't been determined but it's definitely not related to what was done in Wolf II.
That's interesting. Did they say that its not related to Wolfenstein or is it just your guess? I would imagine that they could port some of the work they did on Wolf RTX already and transfer it to Doom Eternal.

I hope RT is more optimized this time. 50% performance hit for just RT reflections is a bit on the heavy side (Control only has a 25% hit with reflections for example)

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
2016 and Eternal are a bit different in that they encourage close-quarter combat and constantly cycling through weapons. It's not a traditional FPS but it's still a FPS.

2016 also has a good story, but it won't be the reason you play it. The story is interspersed throughout the gameplay and many bits are optional.

I'd recommend getting 2016 cheap if you're interested in Eternal. I think it's dropped to below $10 before on Steam. Currently $20 USD.

Actually it is a very traditional old school FPS!

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This video really sold me on this. I really dig the platforming and movement abilities.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x

Great video as usual. You really shine when you do these sort of preview / review videos when it's mixed with the tech side. I imagine you must be sick of console head to heads by now lol but it looks like Tom handles them now leaving Richard to shine on his PC hardware / 'what if' videos and Alex his PC software comparisons.

I'd love to see someone else added to concentrate on Switch, especially as the platform evolves over the coming console generation with improved hardware of it's own leading to many more patches of older first party content and down ports of newer games.

The team is great. Be sure and let Richard know how much we all appreciate his work as he isn't on social media that I know of.