• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Doom Eternal is one of John Linneman's most eagerly anticipated games of the year - and he had the chance to sit down and play three hours of it. What's new with the game and the technology... and can it possibly live up to expectations?

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads... which certainly makes a big difference with this one: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

No console info, game played on a high end PC with 2080Ti, i9 Processor and NVMe Drive.

RIP Mega Textures.

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
God I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!

I'll have to wait until spring break or summer to play, I'm too busy with classes.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have to play on console and have faith that id has optimized well there. It won't be as good looking as PC (never could be) but I expect they've done some straight up sorcery to achieve decent detail and 60fps.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
You:

Me: Megatextures were never good and the stamping process was too manual art intensive and repetitive to create actual unique non-tiling art - the stampings were obvious copy paste jobs. Also the baking of lighting into said textures...

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Game is looking really good. Hopefully reviews don't take too long to show up after launch (although it's apparently "20 hours long" so I might be waiting a while).

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 7 1700 8-core
gtx 1050tI
16GB RAM

Ran DOOM 2016 on ultra settings at 60fps, IIRC.

What can I expect with Eternal? 4 years of progression.... šŸ˜Ÿ

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even played Doom 2016 yet. I generally do not like FPS games. Would these games be any different? Is there a good story?

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even played Doom 2016 yet. I generally do not like FPS games. Would these games be any different? Is there a good story?
2016 and Eternal are a bit different in that they encourage close-quarter combat and constantly cycling through weapons. It's not a traditional FPS but it's still a FPS.

2016 also has a good story, but it won't be the reason you play it. The story is interspersed throughout the gameplay and many bits are optional.

I'd recommend getting 2016 cheap if you're interested in Eternal. I think it's dropped to below $10 before on Steam. Currently $20 USD.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing and would look even better with motion blur disabled!

oqnbni7kacb21.gif

Dark1x is coming. Start running !

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm already pretty sure this is gonna by my game of the year. Dark1x's sentence about DE basically playing like Q3A as a Singleplayer campaign is all I needed lol. The video on Giantbomb is also really really good and informative, I already love everything about this game, from gameplay and secrets to the absurd story and lore.

Would I be good to go for max details on an RTX 2060 Super on 1080p?

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned you can switch to the classic weapon pose, holy shit!

We'll see how long in the tooth my GTX 1080 is going for 1440p/144Hz

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing. Kind of sad we didn't get to see the sword in action, but I suppose you don't get that until later anyway.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
March 20th is going to be incredible! I'll do some fishing, dig up a few fossils, slay a hundred demonic hellspawn, maybe build a bench...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks sweet and very much it's own thing which I really like.

Explaining some of the nuggets to game play and stuff, informative

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So glad this wasn't hit with another delay.

It certainly looks like they used the extra time from the last delay very well though, because it's looking absolutely fantastic.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The story stuff is really fun, I thought. Basically, the cutscenes attempt to tell what seems like a serious tale but then the Doom Slayer just walks in, ignores everything and goes about his business.

"Now if you could just gently remove those canisters we can resume Argent energy production after..."
*Doom Slayer curb stomps canisters*

"I've been the AI of this station since its inception. It has been an honor to serve. Can I die if I've never really lived?"
*Doom Slayer rips out circuitboard and throws down a well*

To top it all off, the Doom Slayer knows (based on holograms) that he's being played the entire time, and still doesn't bother to say anything or stop what he's doing. The story is very much there for the player to appreciate based on their level of interest in the lore, you can skip most of the cutscenes and not read/listen to the codex entries, and get the same experience for gameplay.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As amazing as this looks... Lord the Switch port is going to be super interesting!

Edit: So realistic question, I get that this was a 2080Ti, but how will a 1080Ti perform with this?

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
You:

Me: Megatextures were never good and the stamping process was too manual art intensive and repetitive to create actual unique non-tiling art - the stampings were obvious copy paste jobs. Also the baking of lighting into said textures...

Actually, megatextures had a ton of benefits. But the tools and the right game for it never really happened.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The story stuff is really fun, I thought. Basically, the cutscenes attempt to tell what seems like a serious tale but then the Doom Slayer just walks in, ignores everything and goes about his business.
Sounds great to me :) I loved all the story bits and lore texts in Doom 16, and I loved how they're completely free to ignore as well. Great that they're sticking with this.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Wonder how my 1080GTX will handle this on my 3440*1440 ultrawide? The performance on 2016 is so damn nice. I am able to run it at 120FPS on ultra! I'm playing it again right now as a matter of fact. I hope this runs just as well.

Last edited:

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I hate to be a downer but I'm not really seeing the impressive graphics. Maybe it's better at a very high fps... but it doesn't seem "stunning" to me.

Last edited:

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
As amazing as this looks... Lord the Switch port is going to be super interesting!

Edit: So realistic question, I get that this was a 2080Ti, but how will a 1080Ti perform with this?
It should run about as well as Doom 16 did. Apart from the more open nature of levels, and Doom 16 had a bit of those if not traversable in the same manner, I'm not seeing any huge upgrade to the visuals. Game was suppose to be RTX ready but we haven't seen that yet either?

As good as the game looks in motion Im not as impressed as I was with Doom 16.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Been consistently impressed with id tech. Played a bit of Doom 2016 but couldn't really get into the style of FPS it was. I think I'll check it out one last time, though. Seems perhaps I'm missing something with the game. Either way, great to see the engine doing so well as it puts them on a good foot for the next gen.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
You:

That 60 fps on the 360 and PS3, tho

Back then, I was amazed by it

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Alex and John. Is there any talk about RTX feature for the game on launch? Or is it a post launch update? I much prefer the former.