• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do we need mid gen refreshes(PS5 Pro/Xbox Series X Pro)?

• Yes, and I would buy one

• Yes, but won't buy one

• No, but I would buy one

• No, and I wouldn't buy one

• i'd prefer a switch 2 pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Different patents and leaks all point that they are being made also some comments of the high officials too.
I don't know why some still doubt their coming.
Also we gonna see threads about people asking what the PS5 pro will be called and the new Xbox series. I t gonna be just another DUH BRUH moment PS5 PRO and Series Z.
Sony did not even think that much when they chose the name of PS VR2.

It depends on what both companies will try market to sell them. From the leaks and patents, Sony seems to go for much better RT with DUAL SOC and dedicated RT cores while MS will probably market 8K rendering. They are enthusisat consoels just like enthusisat PC compoenents. Do we need them? OFC no cus anyone cna play on a lesser PC but they are good for what they offer and for the people that chase those extra eye candies.

PSVR 2 is a great name, just like PS5 Pro will be.

We know what expect with the hardware. The same games on from the base hardware but a bit shinier .

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The RTX 3000 presentation made mid-gen upgrades an inevitably since it focused on raytracing, the one thing RDNA 2 sucks at. The limiting factor is AMD, since I reckon both Sony and Microsoft will wait until RDNA 4 is ready before rolling out said mid-gen consoles, which means we're talking 2024 at the very earliest (and more likely 2025).

This is what I said too. Chasing 2023 which is very near to bring substantial upgrades is just insane considering the situation of productions and the evolution of Hradware and its cost. 2024 is a nice compromise to see tech mature decently and be affordable. Also It seems Sony realized that the AMD roadmap is not that fast or very promising so according to the known patents they are alrteady thinking their iwn features with double SOC and dedicated RT cores. We may see non usual stuff more than the current consoles.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you understand what I mean by compromise. There was interest/demand for higher fidelity than what the PS5 could at 60fps, but at a higher FPS than 30. 40fps is the compromise since it could not hit the desired framerate (60) with the desired fidelity.

A lot of DF's analysis, and this thread, boils down to "the PS5/XSX provides enough for games as it is". More modes are always a good thing, and it's a fantastic addition, however it shows there's already demand for higher performing games that have better IQ than what the PS5 is able to provide today IMO.

I don't think anybody reaching for the 40fps mode would be doing so if the machine was able to produce the fidelity people desire at 60fps. A PS5 pro would be able to produce the fidelity people desire, at the framerate people desire (60).

Of course there's demand. You can say that about any game, "would you like to play this game but at double the resolution,frame rate, ray tracing density ", etc. Who's going to say no to that?

What I'm saying is the option of performance profiles isn't a compromise just because the game has them. Well, no more than a game without them has compromised. But when people see them they immediately think, "why not both ". It will definitely make those pro patches easier anyway.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its inevitable that more powerful hardware will come out, but its also inevitable that your going to pay a lot for them.

2013(PS4)----2016(PS4 slim,PS4 Pro)----2020(PS5)----2024(maybe a PS5 slim or maybe a PS5 Pro) the time line for xbox is similar but they also had new hardware in 2017.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why a new PS VR will see the light but not a Pro console. Rememebr how PS4 Pro helped a lot with rendering on PS4 Pro and PS5 is even helping more. RE7 is just unplayable on PS4 due to the side noise or dithering or whatever it was to limit screen resolution that was corrected on PS4 Pro.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

👀

For those thinking that a PS5 Pro or Xbox SX-X will give you the benefits of both Performance and Resolution, think again. Performance will be able to run at a higher resolution than the base consoles, sure. But so will Resolution, and they'll just crank up the RT or the res and it'll stay at 30fps.

Why increase resolution when it's already near/at 4K? Scaling up RT also isn't that easy and probably requires lots of testing to avoid slowdowns in certain areas. For games that already have a 60fps mode (which is almost every game), the easiest way to make use of the extra power is to simply uncap the framerate of quality mode.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
hell no. they've barely begun to even tap into any of the power of the new machines. no reason to waste money on a refresh when i doubt it's that significant an improvement over what we already have now.

i'd rather save that cash for the next numbered console.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This poll in a hardcore video game forum is not going to reflect the general population

I'd buy a PS5 Pro in a heartbeat while most can't even get their hands on a PS5 today

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned this the other day, but there's nothing to "push" a mid-gen refresh this time around. Last time it was 4K, this time it's... what? Still 4K? Nobody's going to buy a 4K upgrade to a 4K console. Raytracing? Consumers don't even know what that is.

Do we "technically" need one? Sure, there's always going to be a demand for more powerful hardware. But can they market it? Can they sell it to the masses? Much more doubtful this time around.

For those thinking that a PS5 Pro or Xbox SX-X will give you the benefits of both Performance and Resolution, think again. Performance will be able to run at a higher resolution than the base consoles, sure. But so will Resolution, and they'll just crank up the RT or the res and it'll stay at 30fps.

And don't forget that extra power brings extra heat. You think those Pro consoles will be as whisper-quiet as the current ones are? That worked out really well for the PS4 Pro, didn't it?

Imagine the PS5 Pro with double the size of the PS5 and douible the noise of PS4 Pro.
When I imagine this, this image always comes to my mind. XD

ken-large-ps3.jpg.cf.webp

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
hell no. they've barely begun to even tap into any of the power of the new machines.

This poll in a hardcore video game forum is not going to reflect the general population

I'd buy a PS5 Pro in a heartbeat while most can't even get their hands on a PS5 today

And the mid-gen consoles will still be sold out and out of stock in no time. So they won't have any problem if they create them if some people here or anywhere say they won't need them or buy them.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, I would like to see upgrades to the motherboard and a size reduction.

PCIE 5.0 and USB4 so we can eventually play current gen games from external storage. Replace all USB-A with type C and upgrade to the newest WiFi/Ethernet standard.

Would also be nice if the Series consoles also got an Internal SSD expansion like the PS5 and vice versa. The memory card option is great for multiple consoles.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
And the mid-gen consoles will still be sold out and out of stock in no time. So they won't have any problem if they create them if some people here or anywhere say they won't need them or buy them.
they definitely served a good purpose last-gen and I enjoyed the hell out of my X1X, it was a quality machine. Right now it doesn't make much sense, just due to the way things have gone so far this gen, but maybe that will change by 2024 or whenever they schedule them to drop.

I think slims (especially a ps5 slim) would be a pretty popular revision though

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
For me personally, I would like to see upgrades to the motherboard and a size reduction.

PCIE 5.0 and USB4 so we can eventually play current gen games from external storage. Replace all USB-A with type C and upgrade to the newest WiFi/Ethernet standard.

A size reduction in a pro version while patents show that the console may have double SOC? Don't count on that at all. I have never seen an upgrade in hardware that came witha size reduction tbh. what you are asking for is a PS5 slim.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Er yeah, upping the frames and getting hit with a 1080p on 4K tv sucks or 30fps in general on an oled is unplayable to me now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People are approaching this as if the PS4P and X1X were ever anything but niche consoles that sold to a far smaller demographic than the base consoles.

The mid-gen refreshes will sell to the same people who bought them last time, except this time the draw will be performance and fidelity instead of pixel counts. The PS5 and Series X aren't going to be doing raytracing and 120fps forever, and there will be a market for console players who want to hit those frame and visual targets.

The consumer who would buy a PS5 Pro or Xbox Series "Elite" is already anticipating them. The consoles sold out yesterday. The current new-gen consoles are just okay on the power scale, stop acting like they are titans.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they do, i want to get out of this dumb expensive hobby and wasting money on a console that wasnt even properly tested and is already going to be outdated is a good way to finally do it

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
People are approaching this as if the PS4P and X1X were ever anything but niche consoles that sold to a far smaller demographic than the base consoles.

The mid-gen refreshes will sell to the same people who bought them last time, except this time the draw will be performance and fidelity instead of pixel counts. The PS5 and Series X aren't going to be doing raytracing and 120fps forever, and there will be a market for console players who want to hit those frame and visual targets.

The consumer who would buy a PS5 Pro or Xbox Series "Elite" is already anticipating them. The consoles sold out yesterday. The current new-gen consoles are just okay on the power scale, stop acting like they are titans.

Exactly. It is not that it will cause any problem for Sony or MS to create new mid-gen consoles and have hard time selling them, especially now. The worldwide situation caused a sensation of FOMO in many producst so they are sure to sell those consoles in no time regardless of the numbers they provide or how many people bought base consoels or still looking for them. Tbh, it will be both beneficial for the companies and players to get the mid-gen consoels by then than the base ones and if anything the current situation shwoed that people are willing to pay double or 3 times or more the price of the consoles to get them so mid-gen refreshes won't bother anyone.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there's demand. You can say that about any game, "would you like to play this game but at double the resolution,frame rate, ray tracing density ", etc. Who's going to say no to that?
The overwhelming majority of people would say no, assuming a premium in price.

In the year after the PS4 Pro launched, more than 80% of customers opted for the base PS4 over the Pro, and that was with a model with a clearer marketing hook than most of what's been discussed in this thread so far.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing out yet that really pushes the PS5 or Xboxwhatumaycallit equivalent.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Never upgraded from my OG model PS4 and don't see myself buying a refreshed PS5. Maybe if I didn't buy a 3090 last year, I would think about it... but we're set this generation, as far as PC/PS5 gaming goes.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Nope. Current gen consoles are hard enough to come by as it is. The only reason I see the need for a mid-gen upgrade is if the current architecture was in the way of developers to make great games. There's barely enough current gen content to even tell at this point, but from what I'm seeing over on the PC side, the answer to that is "no".

Optimize the current architecture. Allow devs to really spend some time with the hardware. Make great and groundbreaking games. Ray tracing to me is not going to make a game great, it will only make a bad game look good.

Spend the R&D on optimizing the design for efficiencies and cost reductions. Make this gen affordable so that everyone can experience the great games they're going to make for it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
No. I don't care about 4K. It would be the 3 promise of 4K gaming that won't be.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
It's kinda crazy to me to be talking about a mid gen refresh already when people are still having so much trouble even buying PS5s or Series consoles…that combined with we're still getting cross gen games has me voting no.

tmac456

May 27, 2020

Interesting. What do you think/know of the release windows? I can't imagine they would be out by holiday 2024

And to answer the thread - No I don't think we need a refresh but I will most likely buy day 1 because I'm a sucker for buying new technology/gaming systems lol

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully this isn't close to happening. Maybe 2025. I'd rather have a thinner PS5 with more conventional chassis.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to reset the clock on finding another console. The others are hard enough to find already

Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

The RDNA2 GPUs in consoles are just not good enough for RT in a larger scale, like UE5 Lumen.

They just fall short and most implementations already feel heavily gimped compared to PC.

This should be the generation where truly hybrid renderers can dominate, but that is just not possible with the current generation.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it happening before 2025 but a midgen console focused on AI upscaling, improved RT features, and a focus on 60fps would be cool. It would definitely be more of a "Pro" audience model than last time though

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We barely have any current gen games to begin with, so ofc we don't need them. I swear some people just want a shiny new thing to buy, even tho the new thing they bought a couple of years ago barely has been tapped into.

I was one of the people that got a PS4 Pro last gen and I'm definitely not gonna do that again this time around. At least this way by the time PS6 comes out, I can enjoy it as a PS5 Ultra by the time cross-gen is done 2-3 years into PS6's life cycle.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
We also basically had the same discussion last gen and the primary reason people were against it was because they didn't like the idea of having an inferior experience to someone else and they didn't want to shell out the money to upgrade. Aside from better RT and higher resolutions, I'd personally buy a Pro if it means they can extract more performance out of the hardware for VR games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No, but I would buy one and be happy about improved RT performance and the likes.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Do we want it? Of course the enthusiasts do, but the economics of it don't make sense.

The damn PS4 and XBO couldn't get below $300 outside special discounts and bundles for Black Friday generally. The more powerful consoles didn't replace the old MSRPs, and stayed steady too. How much more of a premium can the market bare for consoles that are already $500 for the more advanced of each? How many tens of millions in R&D would that cost, on top of the loss of production to make room for it, all for potentially less profit margin than the consoles they are making now and selling at cost essentially. How many would they have to sell to make it worth while. They want people locked into their ecosystems, and premium consoles just skim money off the hardcore, not get into new homes.

They had a reason last gen. They knew the amd chip they shipped with was weak but necessary, and 4k was an easy sell marketing wise for what they expected to be a 7+ year generation. RT is simply not that the equivalent sell when a huge amount of people are still on 1080p TV's, especially in a recession.

spectrumfox

Oct 27, 2017
California
I probably won't buy a mid-gen upgrade this time around unless there are HUGE differences. I only did last gen because the base consoles were so woefully underpowered.
MS and Sony built their base consoles good this gen so I see no reason to.

Switch Pro though, sign me up.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
You need mid gen refreshes when the hardware can't keep up with the games. Remind me, when is cross gen scheduled to end?

Oct 28, 2017
What we need are freakin games.

Not cross-gen games, not remakes, remasters, turning settings to high-ultra and selling it as a new package. We need true games. Let's get some games that really show off the consoles that were released going on two years ago and then we can talk about mid-gen refreshes because until I start to see more game output then what is the point ?