• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Didn't other outlets mention framerates, in image quality mode, were anywhere from 60 all the way down to 30? Yet in this video I think I didn't see a drop lower than 54. Did other outlets play more graphically intense circuits or something?

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
I'm surprised it's hitting so consistently 120fps. Even more for a early build as the dev game stated it.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks like good fun, missed that in my racing games

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This blows away footage I saw earlier (IGN?) which made me think the game looked horrible, but this video looks waaaay better. These other outlets better get their video captures in order quickly as anything less is a disservice to developers.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think the over-reaction to the game's looks at 120hz probably comes from people who have never actually tried gaming at that frame-rate and aren't aware of the sheer power required to do it. Compromises will have to be made if players want as smooth an experience as possible. You will never truly appreciate 120hz either until you're sat in front on the TV playing it at that standard - it was the most impressive thing switching to PC gaming offered me by far, and I'm excited to have this experience on a console.

Developers won't be able to just flick a switch and add 120hz mode, they'll have to make changes that negatively impact the visuals. DIRT 5 looks great in my opinion and its a great video by DF.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Went to bed thinking the framerate was fluctuating wildly between 30 and 60 due to impressions that dropped around midnight, and woke up to DF saying the framerate is pretty much locked to 60. What a ride.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on. The videos I saw earlier didn't look that good. This actually does look good. I may have missed, but are the reflections SSR or ray tracing?

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why the huge discrepancy in performance reported amongst all the other folks vs what Digial Foundry is reporting here? Maybe Digital Foundy has a newer build? In any case, I look forward to the performance/loading metrics once the game is finished and is released across the board on all the different platforms.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how the commentary over a video totally changes people's opinions.

The DF video looks a bit better, but not enough to warrant the night and day reactions to the footage.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Really surprised actually. 1440p 120fps is actually pretty darn impressive. And the visual quality mode at 60fps. Pretty impressive results all around.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the thirst trap for that 77" LG CX is real now. Must. Resist. Wait. For. Sale. I think there will be more 120fps gaming coming, probably more than most were expecting. Seriously though, my tv supports 120hz at 1080p but I'm wanting VRR and OLED.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Amazing how the commentary over a video totally changes people's opinions.

The DF video looks a bit better, but not enough to warrant the night and day reactions to the footage.
Of course it warrants it. When other videos are saying the framerate fluctuates between 30 and 60 and DF tests it and says its pretty much locked 60, that's a huge difference.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Crossgen has got to be brutal for devs. 4 Xboxes, 3 Playstations, with multiple performance mode levels, and some number of PC levels all needing some optimization and testing.

I'm not sure if the 120hz will be worth the tradeoff, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Crossgen has got to be brutal for devs. 4 Xboxes, 3 Playstations, with multiple performance mode levels, and some number of PC levels all needing some optimization and testing.

I'm not sure if the 120hz will be worth the tradeoff, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Sounds like so much work when you write it down like that. I think alot of devs will be happy to leave the current gen behind.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Damn the thirst trap for that 77" LG CX is real now. Must. Resist. Wait. For. Sale. I think there will be more 120fps gaming coming, probably more than most were expecting. Seriously though, my tv supports 120hz at 1080p but I'm wanting VRR and OLED.

I haven't seen it myself but 120 on an OLED must be revelatory with regards to motion clarity.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Holy crap 120 fps is real. Dirt Rally 3 120 fps is going to be something. Looks like a gamechanger for racing games

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Great video (as always) by Digital Foundry. Love the work they do. Game looks like it could really be fun. Have to say that I do not see that much of a difference between the 60FPS and 120 FPS in terms of fluidity, but I also struggle with videos comparing 30 to 60 FPS.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a word on VRR/FreeSync, disappointing. I'm dying to learn about that feature... but is it under NDA or simply no one cares? VRR/FreeSync would be perfect in a game like this where performance hovers around 50-60fps and 90-120fps.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Good video, looks really nice, and 120hz mode looks good enough despite compromises.
Does not feel really next gen, but probably due to being build with scalability in mind.
A Motorstom-like game could be amazing.

Looking good for a potential vr mode on ps5

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
great video, might pick this game up at launch to have some kind of racing game.

it also points out somethings that needs emphasising to a lot of people on this site - you don't need HDMI 2.1 to run games at 120Hz. the only thing you'll be missing without HDMI 2.1 is a full-fat 4k120hz, which i can already guarantee won't be an issue for most games using 120fps modes since they'll most likely be running anywhere from 1080p-1440p, of which HDMI 2.0 can handle fine.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Good video. Strange game. Frame rate and visual modes both target 4k/60 and both are fairly good at holding it, but one has better graphics? Although tbh I couldn't see much difference so I'd maybe go performance for a locked 60, if they support VRR for the graphics mode that may be a decent compromise if drops are only around busy grid starts

1440p/120 is a smart choice if it means more TVs can get the benefit as it fits within HDMI 2.0 spec.

As an aside - it seems silly to say 'early build, still lots of optimisation' when its out in 4 weeks. They'll need to be gold in like 10 days. Obviously technically a preview build but not that much wiggle room except for day one patches

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I think these look better because DF is just far more prepared for next gen capture and analysis than anyone else. Some other videos released early this morning did mention their capture gear wasn't up to the task. For Ars and IGN's takes, I wonder if they were reviewing the capture footage alone, or if using their capture gear introduced the problems and image quality issue they saw.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Good video. Strange game. Frame rate and visual modes both target 4k/60 and both are fairly good at holding it, but one has better graphics? Although tbh I couldn't see much difference so I'd maybe go performance for a locked 60, if they support VRR for the graphics mode that may be a decent compromise if drops are only around busy grid starts

1440p/120 is a smart choice if it means more TVs can get the benefit as it fits within HDMI 2.0 spec.

As an aside - it seems silly to say 'early build, still lots of optimisation' when its out in 4 weeks. They'll need to be gold in like 10 days. Obviously technically a preview build but not that much wiggle room except for day one patches

Except the build could be easily be a month or so old.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Because progressive detail is so difficult, let's try full detail versus no detail at all in the track. Surely the track is not something player will look at in a racing game /S

dirt5-06.png

dirt5-07.png

dirt5-08.png

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Wow crazy how Digital Foundry can change peoples opinions lol. These guys are really going to be important heading into this generation aren't they ?

OP
OP
Petran

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
so, less shadows, no crowd on the 120hz and what looks like additional tearing on the 60hz side, based on the image.
actually no tearing on 120fps mode, its vsynced already
the other two 60fps versions might be improved until -or even after- release,
devs stated its an older build media are showing and that they'll be working on this game.
makes sense too, since its a day1 release game sporting new features

Because progressive detail is so difficult, let's try full detail versus no detail at all in the track. Surely the track is not something player will look at in a racing game /S

dirt5-07.png

dirt5-08.png
yeah, because looking reverse at the start line is surely the most important and the most enjoyable thing to do when racing at 120fps.

never the less, I am pretty sure that down the line someone will make a 30fps racer to satisfy your needs

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
actually no tearing on 120fps mode, its vsynced already
the other two 60fps versions might be improved until -or even after- release,
devs stated its an older build media are showing and that they'll be working on this game.
makes sense too, since its a day1 release game sporting new features

yeah, because looking reverse at the start line is surely the most important and the most enjoyable thing to do when racing at 120fps.

never the less, I am pretty sure that down the line someone will make a 30fps racer to satisfy your needs

The problem exists when playing too. It's very distracting. BTW, I don't play under 60 fps.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
it also points out somethings that needs emphasising to a lot of people on this site - you don't need HDMI 2.1 to run games at 120Hz. the only thing you'll be missing without HDMI 2.1 is a full-fat 4k120hz, which i can already guarantee won't be an issue for most games using 120fps modes as, much like this game, will probably be running anywhere from 1080p-1440p, of which HDMI 2.0 can handle fine.

Up until now I was sure that I'd need a C9 or a CX to enjoy 120 Hz. And here it turns out that my trusty old C7 will show 120 Hz just fine, in 1080p. I was not aware of this at all.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Up until now I was sure that I'd need a C9 or a CX to enjoy 120 Hz. And here it turns out that my trusty old C7 will show 120 Hz just fine, in 1080p. I was not aware of this at all.
I'm envious because it seems I purchased my Samsung tv 1 year too early. I would be ecstatic if it supported 1080/120hz. You won't have to upgrade your tv for years