• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

John and Rich got an early preview of the latest Sony State of Play, which reveals the brand new user interface and its many new features. So what are these new elements, how likely are they to make it into all PS5 games and what do we think of the interface in general? Find out here.

Thanks to Omen for sponsoring our channel. Watch Omen Underground Presents Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Tournament from the PAX Arena here: https://bit.ly/2ZYE0eH Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and to get access to everything we do via pristine quality downloads: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://bit.ly/2BqRTt0

Oct 27, 2017
Is everything a game changer?

Although it's cool, I find it a bit odd the game doesn't suspend when you open up a menu. Is that on a game-by-game basis? I'd assume you'd want your game to be suspended when you're not actively in it

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Have some respect this time, you unhinged console warrior troglodytes. Real people made this, and if you can't handle disagreements and discuss them maturely go scream into a pillow or something.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017

Although it's cool, I find it a bit odd the game doesn't suspend when you open up a menu. Is that on a game-by-game basis? I'd assume you'd want your game to be suspended when you're not actively in it

Umm on PC if you alt tab, the game is still running in the background. Same concept, just have to go to pause menu in game before alt tabbing.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017

I've played some PS4 games that dont pause when you open the side bar or go to the PS4 main menu.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Maybe it's on a scene-by-scene basisā€“ I don't think it's odd in the level select area like they demoed. It's not like there's actual gameplay happening in the area they're in.

Also, for games like Destiny, you can't suspend anyway (without completely signing out of the game instance).

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Did they ask Sony when they will send out PS5's for hands on lol

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Watching now. Going to say this upfront....dont be dicks people! DF do not deserve the fucked up stuff some people have said to them...if you have some constructive feedback, say it in a respectful manner.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. I guess I'm use to consoles fully suspending a game when it's in the background and admittedly having gamed on a PC in yeaaaars

I'm sure the game automatically suspends when you go to home menu or switch to a different game. But when you just bring up the quick menu which is just a overlay, game will keep running as usual.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
They REALLY liked the U.I.
Richard says that if the System is easy and open to use, some of those functionalities(such as Activities) can be game-changers in the future.
And John mentions that while the drip-feed can be boring and we could have seen these stuff for a long time now, it works, we are one month away from the release and we were surprised by this(in a good way).

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think it makes more sense to let the game handle its pausing mechanism, so it's fine. Opens the door to having a game that could be designed to run in the background.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Glad to hear they liked the UI as much as I did!

They also bring up the valid concern as to whether developers will bother taking the time to use the card features available. I genuinely hope they do, as that's one of the most exciting aspects of the new UI to me.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I've played some PS4 games that dont pause when you open the side bar or go to the PS4 main menu.

Certain PS3 games wouldn't pause when you'd bring up the home menu either. I imagine this will be up to the developer of each game, in regards to whether it will pause or not when you pull up the menu.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have some respect this time, you unhinged console warrior troglodytes. Real people made this, and if you can't handle disagreements and discuss them maturely go scream into a pillow or something.
Please.

That last thread was straight up embarrassing.
Watching now. Going to say this upfront....dont be dicks people! DF do not deserve the fucked up stuff some people have said to them...if you have some constructive feedback, say it in a respectful manner.
Wait,hold the phone. What the fuck did I miss?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Certain PS3 games wouldn't pause when you'd bring up the home menu either. I imagine this will be up to the developer of each game, in regards to whether it will pause or not when you pull up the menu.
I think the vast majority of online games don't. Even things that appear single player but are always connected.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What is the background song???? I have it right in my brain, I just can't picture what game it is. Driving me nuts

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So I'm now thinking we aren't going to get a "full blown walkthrough" of the new UI from Sony directly, but rather than shorter posts about specific functionality. I expect one to cover the Create button/features, but a full walkthrough will come from places like DF and others that get units.

Really happy about things being so quick and smooth, but I will try to keep my expectation in check considering PS4 seemed smooth and fast before and around launch, but regularly succumbs to OS rot and hitching, etc. (while not even having a game running, etc, so it should all be in RAM- in case some think it's the HDD at fault) So I'm really hoping the complete reworking of the guts of their OS means years from now it will still be agile.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
They had early access to it so why not.

They covered Xbox UI features too.
They did?? all i saw was them checking the load time, performance of BC and how well quick resume works. Which is what I would expect from DF but this is them just talking about the UI, not reviewing the technical aspects of the consoles features.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Rich seems a lot happier here.
Both seem really excited about next gen. Great to see.

Still more to learn about the PS5 UI.