• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The latest installment of DF E3 Direct is up.

Join John Linneman and Audi Sorlie direct from Game Realms in Burbank CA for our final DF Direct Epilogue, covering a range of great games including Shenmue 3, Doom Eternal, Abe: Soulstorm, Control and more!

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow. They were very positive on Shenmue!

I'm pretty sure John is a fan though, and most fans who have played it seemed to like it.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy to hear more positive impressions for Shenmue 3. Having the choice of Japanese or English voices, free to explore including roaming across fields and not locked to a linear path, fluid combat that's close to Virtua Fighter. Glad they liked it and sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Jun 12, 2018
Any chance of someone making another Shenmue thread with DF impressions? It contains alot of juicy new information and directly goes against some of the other media reporting.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read any other impressions yet. Any links? Curious to see where we differ!

Mixed but seem to lean more toward the negative.

At the same time, I came away from the demo a bit concerned about the game's presentation and combat system. There's something nice about the fact that someone could potentially play Shenmue I and II and then jump into Shenmue III and find the characters and environments immediately recognizable aesthetically. Shenmue II came out 18 years ago, though, and I'd have preferred a higher level of polish.

"As it stands, Shenmue III is more like a student project put together with Unreal Engine 4 than a real video game expected to be release at this end of the year."

IGN's is a lot more positive:

It beats me how director Yu Suzuki managed to do all this with a much more limited budget compared to the previous entries, but Shenmue III's open world seems to be as packed with details as before.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Been waiting for your impressions John. Really happy to hear your overall positive experience and frankly I put more faith in DF's analysis, than many others quoted above. Despite being a fan I know John is typically fair in his critique from both from a technical and gameplay perspective. Best news for me-

• "Seeing it in person, it looks great" along with 60 FPS on PC (be wonderful if PS4 pro got similar performance)
  • Dual audio option in menu. I like many fans want to play this in Japanese, so this option is a must.
  • R trigger to run and ability to stray of path and explore Chinese countryside sounds amazing.
  • I wasn't as surprised, but happy to confirm they both felt combat felt good. "Animation felt quite impressive". Looking at last 10 seconds of clip from Epic game store and it looks smooth as described

Overall I am so pumped for this.

Oct 30, 2017
60 FPS is great news as well. I swear some of those other impressions claimed otherwise, but Digital Foundry is unimpeachable in this regard.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Keep in mind this was a PC build!

Dark1x

John thank you very much for your work and impressions. I'm hoping you could answer a couple of questions based on what you saw.

1.) Visually you seemed pleased with what you saw. There's been conjecture mainly from Huber that the E3 build looked prettier or more advanced than the IGN released footage we've seen. What do you think?

2.) You mentioned controls will use R trigger to run. How was Ryo's run or walk animation?

3.) In combat Suzuki mentioned there will be two modes: Automatic Transmission and Manual Transmission. Can you confirm which mode you were using in demo? Did lack of throw moves bother you?

Any other insights with your time with the game would be appreciated. Thanks again.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Seeing actual Shenmue fans talk about the game is good. This is one of the few situations where I only give credibility to people who are fans.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Awesome video -- cannot wait for Shenmue III and the MD Mini.

So this refutes those French Shenmue articles that Ryo has to walk tight paths in the environment with little freedom, that it was running in "720p" with bad aliasing and a blurry imagine overall etc. I mean, maybe the PC overheated for those sessions, but something doesn't add up.

Hoping the bandwagon of negativity starts to slow down now there have been plenty of positive previews, as well as YS Net looking to organise something for those who don't want to use EGS, because I am pumped for Shenmue III. PUMPED.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like this as well. The forum seems to be plastered with negative Shenmue threads. There's positivity out there, too!
at this point it's going to be tough to beat the negative, what i'm glad for, is that it seems that the ps4 pre orders are quite high, at least in the UK. I'm just hoping this game breaks 1 Mill worldwide.

As a fan myself, i'm probably purchasing 2 copies simply to support a sequel and Yu.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Holy cow, that Abe game...never would have known about it if it weren't for DF. That looks amazing.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis mini sounds great, but boy do I wish Crusader of Centy was on this thing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Huber: "there is not an ounce of doubt in my mind, this is it, this is what we've been waiting for".

FlashyEachAngora-size_restricted.gif

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Dark1x

John thank you very much for your work and impressions. I'm hoping you could answer a couple of questions based on what you saw.

1.) Visually you seemed pleased with what you saw. There's been conjecture mainly from Huber that the E3 build looked prettier or more advanced than the IGN released footage we've seen. What do you think?

2.) You mentioned controls will use R trigger to run. How was Ryo's run or walk animation?

3.) In combat Suzuki mentioned there will be two modes: Automatic Transmission and Manual Transmission. Can you confirm which mode you were using in demo? Did lack of throw moves bother you?

Any other insights with your time with the game would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Sorry one more question John, was there music during the demo and to best of your recollection was it new music?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x

1) Hard to say - it looks pretty similar to that footage but without direct comparisons, I can't say for sure.

2) Yes, R trigger runs and animation is a noticeable step-up from the previous games. It looks good.

3) I don't know which mode I was in and the lack of a throw was slightly annoying

4) I can't recall the audio as the volume was low since I was sitting with Yu Suzuki talking about the game

master15

Nov 28, 2017
1) Hard to say - it looks pretty similar to that footage but without direct comparisons, I can't say for sure.

2) Yes, R trigger runs and animation is a noticeable step-up from the previous games. It looks good.

3) I don't know which mode I was in and the lack of a throw was slightly annoying

4) I can't recall the audio as the volume was low since I was sitting with Yu Suzuki talking about the game

Thanks John. Appreciate your answer, last question as it appeared Suzuki discussed wanting to use existing team to continue development with Shenmue 4. The delay from August to November seemed to happen last minute, did he give any indication for why the delay? Was it due to extra funding due to EGS deal?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Someone NEEDS to gif the one inch punch that John does in the video, se we can use it in all DF threads until the end of time.

I've really appreciated the DF directs from E3. The passion and happiness on John's face while he was talking about meeting the guy from Sega brought a smile to my face.

Also I need to keep an eye out for Abe. That game looks amazing.