• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lobotomy Software's amazing PowerSlave (or Exhumed as it's also known) is easily one of the greatest first-person shooters of the Sega Saturn/Sony PlayStation era. Nightdive Studios returns to the game to deliver the definitive remaster. The remastering work is typically brilliant - and the game still shines today.

written article

www.eurogamer.net

PowerSlave Exhumed is one of the best retro remasters ever made

As Eurogamer's technology editor and founder of Digital Foundry, it's fair to say that my focus is usually on the futur…

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
cant watch, since i am at work. but do they mention the stutter problem on switch (game starts to stutter, you need to change some graphics settings and its back to 60 fps)?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
cant watch, since i am at work. but do they mention the stutter problem on switch (game starts to stutter, you need to change some graphics settings and its back to 60 fps)?

They mention this yes. They believe a dynamic resolution scaling solution could fix it or to change to low resolution texture mode to mitigate it.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
They mention this yes. They believe a dynamic resolution scaling solution could fix it or to change to low resolution texture mode to mitigate it.
from my experience, it has nothing to do with the settings themselves. this also happens on a regular basis if you turn all settings to low.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice video.

The Death Tank talk was interesting. I would have assumed the game is in licensing limbo since it got an XBLA release back on 360 separate from Exhumed.
The system level profile explanation makes a lot of sense, too. I didn't expect them to include it I this release even if they could.

I keep almost buying the Nightdive ports of classic games but something else always gets in the way. They must be selling well enough to keep projects rolling. Great work all round

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Have this on wishlist. Looks really really cool. Glad that retro games are getting a new audience.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping they'd do a video on this. Looking at the comparisons I really want to dive into the visual settings that I had mostly ignored to this point. I prefer the colours and shadows of the Saturn version to how this is at default but it looks like you can get closer with adjustments.

Oct 29, 2017
It's strange that they couldn't or didn't quite replicate the colored lighting, like in John's example of the blue orbs traveling down the hallway. That was one of the most striking elements of the original game's look.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
from my experience, it has nothing to do with the settings themselves. this also happens on a regular basis if you turn all settings to low.
We've looked at the problem at every possible angle. Not only can we not be sure if we are even reproducing it (we don't have DFs tools, and we can't send them builds), none of the diagnostics we do have even say there's a problem. The only thing we could fashion as a conclusion is maybe the Switch is thermal throttling, given we are driving it at 1080P60 while docked, and DRS might solve that.

However given we are looking at this basically blind and exhausted every other possible option, if that doesn't fix it nothing will. The only thing we haven't eliminated as a cause is the Switch itself and not anything to do with powerslave at all. Granted, why our game specifically? But it'd be the only possible option at that point.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Nightdive continues to do absolutely wonderful work. Never got the chance to play this before. Excited to finally try it

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why this would get a remaster, given that I remember playing it long ago on PC and thinking it was utterly mediocre--then I find out the console versions were totally different (and apparently superior). Will definitely check this out.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game with a totally surprising structure for me. Went in expecting a level to level shooter and got a metroidvania.

Picking at the platinum but after beating it on Pharaoh the next hardest difficulty trophy I am working towards feels like a walk in the park by comparison.

100% recommended.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this one was coming, John did that great video a few years ago on PowerSlave, and you could tell he was super in love with the game. I knew he'd be all over this remaster, and if it delivered exactly what somebody like him wanted, then it's gotta be good for the rest of us too.

NightDive continuing to show everybody else how a classic remaster should be done.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't get how people play games like these or the Quake remaster on the high resolution mode, to me it looks so bad. Thankfully they offer the option for low res which looks perfect imo, will pick this up eventually.