• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
The 4k ray tracing mode seem pretty comparable with the difference showing less than the hardware specs would indicate but the high framerate wow, that was some high differences but in favor of the PS5.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm thinking it's going to end up being memory bandwidth here. When things are static, the horsepower of the XSX pushes ever so slightly ahead. In cutscenes and when new assets are being loaded quickly, that's when the XSX starts to chug to my eyes.

Still, the gap between the two consoles is much smaller than PS4/XB1 and PS4 Pro/XBX based on the early multi plats and on paper, so interesting times ahead!

Youre not getting THAT big of a performance gap in a port of a last gen game based on memory bandwidth.

DF's suspicions of an issue with the XSX port are very likely.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
But even in a year or two, the on paper difference is only like 20%, right? Why would anyone expect more?

Less than 20% and only in compute. PS5 GPU holds advantages in other areas, such and pixel and texel fill rates due to the higher clock.

The games are going to be pretty similar across both consoles for the entire gen. It comes down to services and exclusives this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
What will the console warriors do if both machines end up performing that similar in all titles and there just isn't an appriciateable difference 😂?

that's always what I've expected for third party multiplatform games. for the most part developers will just find a happy medium between the specs and do minimal optimization. don't blame them either, there's such a minor difference between the two. and both have very random but ultimately minor advantages and disadvantages.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This will be one of the closest generations in performance of games. Sounds like the series x version needs a patch or two.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
When is YouTube gonna start allowing 120fps videos? Because these videos just come out as 60Hz and you can't really tell the difference.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
RE8 better be good, because if this is what we should expect from Capcom next-gen titles then we are starting really bad.

Having 3-4 modes for DMC5 was such overkill.

Just have RT and 60fps and move on

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
When Capcom went from saying ray tracing wouldn't be on Xbox at launch to it's available day one I knew something might be up

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So the Xbox doesn't have the issue where your display determines what your game outputs like PS5 does.

Seems like it's an Xbox game that was developed on a unfinished GDK, especially with how the ray tracing came out of nowhere when it originally slated to come out post launch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This release is getting more questionable by the day.

Or maybe the system bottlenecks eliminated in PS5 that Mark Cerny talked about are coming to fruition?. Why does something have to be wrong with one version just because they perform similar.

Given the on paper specs a 40+ fps difference is ridiculous and more likely a software issue than a result of some secret sauce power from the PS5.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
The article supports it. Did you read the article?

The conclusion in the article (posted in the post I quoted) is:
In the meantime, the results seen here in the cross-platform comparison are fascinating. In terms of correlating on-paper specs to the actual experience on-screen, PlayStation 5 is either punching above its weight, or Xbox Series X isn't delivering on the full potential promised by a bigger silicon investment and a much more substantial memory interface. It'll be interesting to see to what extent the results seen here extend to other titles, and we'll be reporting on that as soon as other games are available.
which is not at all how you should read the results shown in the video.

The video shows two well defined things:
- XSX is slightly faster in GPU bound scenarios as expected, ranging from ~10-12% in 4k mode (slightly below the theoretical 17% which is expected as you're not gonna see that unless you're 100% ALU bound), to up to 20+% with RT which is heavy bandwidth dependant (which is again expected as XSX has more bandwidth).
- PS5 can be massively faster in performance mode (whatever performance mode actually means for this game, we can only guess). This is clearly not expected but it's also not remotely an indication of how the hw or platforms compare. This is a specific issue with DMC5 that can very much be fixed by a patch (or potentially, but much less likely, an issue with XSX software stack that can again be patched by Microsoft).

I don't see neither PS5 punching above its weight (it's performing exactly as expected), nor XSX not delivering the expected perf. All I see is a game having a potential issue with the code on one of the platforms.
If this starts to happen in more and more games than XSX might have an issue, but even then it would only be a software one that can be patched. So far there's nothing pointing in that direction.
The only thing these video/article do is feeding console war, as usual.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This will be one of the closest generations in performance of games. Sounds like the series x version needs a patch or two.

And the PS5 version, for the 120hz mode selection bug.

Good news that the XSX version had RT out of the box after all though.

Otherwise... interesting results. Bit early to draw general trends though, let's see some more games.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
So, 60FPS mode runs slightly better on Xbox and 120FPS runs slightly better on PS5.

theyre-the-same-picture-pam-the-office-meme.png

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
LMAO....

I am loving this thread.

Differences minimal and PS5 ahead in specific mode and it must mean the port is bad and rushed lol. Forgetting that this game already exists on the PS4/XB1.

And the talk about better use of APIs... in 3 years devs would have gotten better with the XSX APIs, but they would have done the same on the PS5 APIs too.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Are you talking about this port or in general because this port actually seems to actually favour PS5 in terms of gameplay performance in some cases at least
Haha, I didn't watch the whole video, I thought it was pretty pointless. Those massive dips on XBX are most certainly due to bugs and whatnot.

Also, no loading time comparisons but maybe it's a bad example too.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
So both versions are extremely close as expected. I guess the slightly higher Series X CPU clocks lead to slightly higher frame rate.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Do you think any game in the future could possibly pull off 1440p120fps locked? This is giving me a bit of hope...

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The conclusion in the article (posted in the post I quoted) is:

which is not at all how you should read the results shown in the video.

- XSX is slightly faster in GPU bound scenarios as expected, ranging from ~10-12% in 4k mode (slightly below the theoretical 17% which is expected as you're not gonna see that unless you're 100% ALU bound), to up to 20+% with RT which is heavy bandwidth dependant (which is again expected as XSX has more bandwidth).
- PS5 can be massively faster in performance mode (whatever performance mode actually means for this game, we can only guess). This is clearly not expected but it's also not remotely an indication of how the hw or platforms compare. This is a specific issue with DMC5 that can very much be fixed by a patch (or potentially, but much less likely, an issue with XSX software stack that can again be patched by Microsoft).

I don't see neither PS5 punching above its weight (it's performing exactly as expected), nor XSX not delivering the expected perf. All I see is a game having a potential issue with the code on one of the platforms.
If this starts to happen in more and more games than XSX might have an issue, but even then it would only be a software one that can be patched. So far there's nothing pointing in that direction.

I gotta disagree with your conclusion; I think their findings directly support their conclusion.

Whether it feeds a console war is a whole other consideration.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a poorly optimised game, as seen in the PS5 video earlier by DF. Drops and inconsistencies all over the place.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
I recall most of Capcom published games had issues on Xbox One X and their performance was equal or worse than PS4 Pro's although Xbox One X version should have been better.

So no surprises here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Really hoping DF gets their hands on Assassin's Creed on PS5. I would hope Ubi will be more competent with their next gen ports than Capcom was with this one

xem

Oct 31, 2017
no surprises here, other than bad optimizations from capcom. the differences between these boxes are as i expected. smallest gap we've ever had.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Differences minimal and PS5 ahead in specific mode and it must mean the port is bad and rushed lol.

Go watch the other DF video about the game, yes, the port is rushed.

www.resetera.com

DF: Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition - PS5 Ray Tracing + 120Hz Modes Tested!

edit: 4K w/RT: Reconstruction 4K w/o RT: Native 1080p w/RT: Native - 1080p w/RT uses a lower internal resolution for RT. - RT modes add voxel fog. - Native 4K mode doesn't hold 60fps (around the 45-60 range), RT quality mode has worse performance (drops into the 30s). - RT Performance mode...

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Honestly, as someone with a 60 hz 4k hdr tv, none of this stuff really moves the needle for me. Seems comparable

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Youre not getting THAT big of a performance gap in a port of a last gen game based on memory bandwidth.

DF's suspicions of an issue with the XSX port are very likely.

You could when it doesn't seem to be a hugely well done port in general. The drops are in the same places as the old consoles, so it's clearly not just horsepower related.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like with this game, we learned more about the current state of the software rather than the hardware behind each console. Not DFs fault, they can just report it as it is. Probably the blame lays with Capcom and/or MS and Sony.

FFS, the game really just doesn't sound like it's ready to roll on either platform. They both have such huge issues lol.

I guess the other big comparisons to look forward to this year are COD, Valhalla and Watch Dogs?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That is quite the statement. How about you wait to say such a statement with such finality until there is more than one data point.

Consider a game like Gears 5 which has similar performance on XSX to an RTX 2080 (a bit below). The XSX in that screenshot there is tanking way below that expected GPU performance. IMO - something is not right with this game or the software layer between the game and hardware if such a drop like that occurs.
I think it's pretty clear that the PS5 is being much more aggressive about its image reconstruction than the XSX. Because that's the only time the PS5 runs better. When the resolution is locked the XSX has a (slight) edge.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Seeing the Xbox shuffle from 60-120fps during a combat sequence in the same room is bizarre. I can't say I recall ever seeing something that extreme on PC before when I would follow my own framerates. Seems like a pretty poor port job overall by Capcom. It's especially curious when the XSX performs (slightly) better in the other three modes. Don't think too much, if anything, can be drawn from performance comparisons here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I mean are people expecting as big of a gap as xbox one ps4 or ps4 pro and one x?

Calling it now - One will be native 4k, other will have dynamic 4k, One will have miniscule better load times than the other...everything else will most likely similar across most games.

I will be extremely surprised if there will be as big of a differences like the previous gen save for those rare titles but we will see I guess.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France

That's exactly how I felt after reading the article, thanks for summing it up. I was also a bit confused with the conclusion (one console underperforming and the other punching above its weight).

(I disagree with your last sentence, though. It does -sadly- feed console war, as usual, but it is definitely useful for people owning multiple platforms. And it's done very professionally IMO)

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of the platform, I wouldn't touch this game with such wild uncapped framerate. Interesting to see both consoles achieve relative parity.

Also, please stop posting the 120 fps PS5 screenshot, it's not a good summary of the video.

I guess Assassin's Creed and Watch Dog are next?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What will the console warriors do if both machines end up performing that similar in all titles and there just isn't an appriciateable difference 😂?

It's how it's going to be, though! The differences, in my opinion, were already very small, and they're going to be even smaller this time. The Digital Foundry analysis is interesting, but I would personally never base a purchasing decision on these kinds of things.