• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
xsxps5bzji0.jpg

Uh wow.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
what the hell is going on with this game, on both platforms. i know xbox has a day 1 patch for raytracing but hopefully they resolve some of these issues in both versions.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Also, unless i misheard at the end, they mentioned on the PS5 it always forces a 120hz output??? So when connected to a non HDMI 2.1 TV, Youre stuck with downsampled 1080P event in quality mode, rather than 4K60???????

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it'll be the most interesting game to compare given how insanely close the two are, but it's a perfect comparison case:

Uncapped framerate on both and exact same native 4K mode.

Weird results though, almost no difference at all in framerate between the two overall, with Xbox having a slight advantage in high res mode, and PS5 having a slight to moderate advantage in framerate mode.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Both consoles are great and have their pros and cons, that's my takeaway.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Also, unless i misheard at the end, they mentioned on the PS5 it always forces a 120hz output??? So when connected to a non HDMI 2.1 TV, Youre stuck with downsampled 1080P event in quality mode???????

yes that's what someone else mentioned but I'm not sure precisely what's happening with it. better be fixed day 1 or I'm returning my preorder

on my brand new 900H i'm gonna be stuck on the sub-par performance mode unless I switch out my HDMI port...? is that really what's happening here

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Kinda wished we saw more gameplay in RT quality mode. Xbox seemed to be in the 50s while PS5 was in the 40s. Coupled with VRR RT quality mode may very well be feasible on Xbox unless it drops further.

Edit: Rewatching the footage a couple of times I see that the performance differential is mostly down to difference in the gameplay scenes and they are pretty close. Would still love to know if the RT quality mode on Xbox is a good experience with VRR on.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Weird that at 120fps the game runs way better at times on PS5 compared do Series X, this whole game seems bugged to death.

Like in this scene:
124610178_400361154641623_3579322119098743582_n.jpg

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Just an early cross-gen port with new features, but the difference in performance is about 5% to 10% in favor of the XSX. Hardly worth mentioning.

We'll see in a year or two.

Are you talking about this port or in general because this port actually seems to actually favour PS5 in terms of gameplay performance in some cases at least

Mar 8, 2018
The XSX's weird performance in high framerate mode definitely seems like something that could be patched out, and decidedly not a hardware issue. But it's nice to see that the machines appear to be broadly equivalent hardware-wise. Should be a competitive gen.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that at 120fps the game runs way better at times on PS5 compared do Series X, this whole game seems bugged to death.

Like in this scene:
124610178_400361154641623_3579322119098743582_n.jpg
Game runs (slightly) better on XSX when the resolution is locked to either 4K or 1080p. But suffers greatly when it uses image reconstruction or dynamic resolution (whichever it may be). I assume this just isn't working properly on XSX and it's just a software issue.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Found it quite amusing that the weaker PS5 and the slower Xbox are punching above their weight in regards to their performance and loading times respectively. Still early days, but it looks like both machines are quite comparable in all aspects, which may be disappointing to some lol.

One thing I'm gonna take away though is that Capcom did not do a great job with this port

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Looks like a shit show in both, but SX not pulling more ahead is weird (though Capcom when announced the RT patch delay did implied they were struggling with the devkits).

I hope they patch this to clean up performance because right now it's not worth at all

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Devs Rhetoric
Sounds like the XSX has the edge, but Capcom was very lazy in optimization.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
"In the meantime, the results seen here in the cross-platform comparison are fascinating. In terms of correlating on-paper specs to the actual experience on-screen, PlayStation 5 is either punching above its weight, or Xbox Series X isn't delivering on the full potential promised by a bigger silicon investment and a much more substantial memory interface."

Sorry it's neither that or that, DF, but that both consoles are so damn close that not many did not expect them to behave very similarly and not just liek that but each has scenarios where it exceeds the other and vice versa. You will see more of this with other games in the future. There is no way you comapre the consoles you compared PS4/XB1 and PS4 Pro/XB1X. The eprcentage gap is insignifcant now in real scenarios.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This game just looks poorly optimized for both consoles really (but even worse on the Xbox), and the lack of VRR on PS5 is definitely disappointing. I'll wait for more comparisons before making any judgments here.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Found it quite amusing that the weaker PS5 and the slower Xbox are punching above their weight in regards to their performance and loading times respectively. Still early days, but it looks like both machines are quite comparable in all aspects, which may be disappointing to some lol.

One thing I'm gonna take away though is that Capcom did not do a great job with this port
Honestly a blessing that both seem almost 1:1, tired of console wars and the now recent second wars

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
What will the console warriors do if both machines end up performing that similar in all titles and there just isn't an appriciateable difference 😂?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Also, unless i misheard at the end, they mentioned on the PS5 it always forces a 120hz output??? So when connected to a non HDMI 2.1 TV, Youre stuck with downsampled 1080P event in quality mode, rather than 4K60???????
Seems like it.
However, the fact that we can use Devil May Cry 5 as a 'benchmark' at all is mostly down to the fact that the developers have targeted 120Hz as the standard refresh rate output. This is great for seeing top-end performance metrics, but it's bad news for the experience - especially on PlayStation 5. This is because 120Hz output is locked to any screen that supports 120Hz, no matter the resolution. So consider a highly popular 4K screen - the LG OLED B8. PS5 sees that it is 120Hz-compatible, and overrides 4K resolution. All modes will run at a 120Hz refresh rate, at 1080p resolution - which is absolutely not ideal. Another popular screen is the Samsung NU8000. It's a 4K screen but on PS5, Devil May Cry will force through the 120Hz refresh rate instead, resulting in a downscale to 1440p that the user has no control over.

And this is where Xbox Series X has an advantage that's crucial. Users can simply dip into the video settings, select 60Hz and Devil May Cry 5 runs in a generally stable way - a locked 60 frames per second is very much preferable to the fully unlocked set-up on a 120Hz screen whether you're gaming on PS5 or Xbox Series X. We have shared our findings with Capcom a while back, and fingers crossed there'll be a solution to the issue, but the tl;dr version is simple enough on paper: allow PS5 users to select between 60Hz and 120Hz output resolution.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about this port or in general because this port actually seems to actually favour PS5 in terms of gameplay performance in some cases at least
It's pretty much the same performance across the board (besides the 120fps mode). I think later 3rd-party games that're better optimized will be the same.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Yeah, I read it that if it detects a 120hz output, it run at a downscaled resolution. So basically, you cannot have 4k60, it will always be somethingK-upto120, depending on your TV.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
So interesting. PS5 looks like it's punching above it's weight, XSX looks like it's just brute forcing it's way through especially with the quality modes. What I found really interesting how the 120fps was faster on the PS5. Anyone can explain that one? Even DF were stumped.

Looks like we're in for a really exciting generation!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Sorry it's neither that or that, DF, but that both consoles are so damn close that not many did not expect them to behave very similarly and not just liek that but each has scenarios where it exceeds the other and vice versa. You will see more of this with other games in the future. There is no way you comapre the consoles you compared PS4/XB1 and PS4 Pro/XB1X. The eprcentage gap is insignifcant now in real scenarios.
That is quite the statement. How about you wait to say such a statement with such finality until there is more than one data point.
Or maybe the system bottlenecks eliminated in PS5 that Mark Cerny talked about are coming to fruition?. Why does something have to be wrong with one version just because they perform similar.
Consider a game like Gears 5 which has similar performance on XSX to an RTX 2080 (a bit below). The XSX in that screenshot there is tanking way below that expected GPU performance. IMO - something is not right with this game or the software layer between the game and hardware if such a drop like that occurs.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
"In the meantime, the results seen here in the cross-platform comparison are fascinating. In terms of correlating on-paper specs to the actual experience on-screen, PlayStation 5 is either punching above its weight, or Xbox Series X isn't delivering on the full potential promised by a bigger silicon investment and a much more substantial memory interface."

All those touting power are going to be in for a surprise when these consoles are going to be virtually identical. And that is a good thing. More people having a good experience across the board. The only people who should be upset is fanboys.

Maybe people will start trusting what Matt says.

You would think by now they would..

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Game runs (slightly) better on XSX when the resolution is locked to either 4K or 1080p. But suffers greatly when it uses image reconstruction or dynamic resolution (whichever it may be). I assume this just isn't working properly on XSX and it's just a software issue.
Most likely, as stated by Rich and John in the article (and Dictator just above), but it seems a picture paints a thousand words :/