• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Arcade-style smash 'em up racing hits PlayStation 5 via PlayStation Plus! Developed by Lucid Games, Destruction AllStars uses Unreal Engine 4 to create a visually rich, explosive experience. It's a lot of fun - as John and Rich explain...

TL;DW

- Uses Dynamic Resolution Scaling. 1296p to 85% of 4K. Averages at 1600~p
- Targets 60 FPS and outside of some drops to high 40's in the initial rushes of "Gridfall" and in the "Carnado" modes, it is fairly good.
- Dualsense features supported. Works pretty well as per DF.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the sort of game that I would have liked to have a 120fps mode. I guess that's probably just something we won't be seeing much of in general this gen.

Oct 28, 2017
Love the dualsense integration for this game. When your car gets busted up, it feels so raggedy to drive around. And the way the triggers change resistance when braking and pushing gas is ace. Super excited to see what the controller can do for sim driving!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Monetization and some game design choices have problems that need improving, but it's hard to deny that the presentation and quality of the game visually is really good for a launch window title.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Love the dualsense integration for this game. When your car gets busted up, it feels so raggedy to drive around. And the way the triggers change resistance when braking and pushing gas is ace. Super excited to see what the controller can do for sim driving!
I was pleasantly surprised by this as well. Going full speed and slowing down feels good.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think one of the big lessons we'll all learn this gen is that AA and reconstruction techniques matter much more than raw resolution.
I've been saying this forever. Gimme 1440p reconstruction over native 4K any day of the week.

I need to fire this up this weekend, the feedback seems pretty great.

I was ready to write it off, but I jumped into it last night and I had an absolute blast.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice Trickstyle shout out at the end there.

One thing I haven't heard people talk about is the level of destruction on the cars. From what I've seen it never gets into Burnout crumpled boxes but I might just not have seem the right videos. I remember a car getting cut in two in the announce trailer.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is also a pretty great HDR showcase. All the colors and lights really pop

One thing I haven't heard people talk about is the level of destruction on the cars. From what I've seen it never gets into Burnout crumpled boxes but I might just not have seem the right videos. I remember a car getting cut in two in the announce trailer.
There's one character who has a special ability that lets her cut cars in two. Not sure if that cut is dynamic though or predefined.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
This game is very impressive graphically and the Duel Sense implementation is pretty great. I just need to get better at it but it's a fun game.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the sort of game that I would have liked to have a 120fps mode. I guess that's probably just something we won't be seeing much of in general this gen.

No one should have expected otherwise. Most of the games getting 120 fps support are older titles or not that graphically demanding. Be hopeful 60 fps games stay the norm late into the generation.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few games but it feels... empty somehow, but I get into full matches.

Maybe the maps are too big? I have no idea lol

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017

One of the maps has windmill blades and they definitely cut the cars right in two. It happens.

This is a multiplayer arena action arcade game. If anyone comes in to read this thread expecting a "racing game", that's not what this is at all. Driving is just one way you move around the arena.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the maps has windmill blades and they definitely cut the cars right in two. It happens.

This is a multiplayer arena action arcade game. If anyone comes in to read this thread expecting a "racing game", that's not what this is at all. Driving is just one way you move around the arena.
One of the characters' car ability literally cuts cars in half. I think she's my main. But I also like the King (from Tekken) lookalike as well.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I've been saying this forever. Gimme 1440p reconstruction over native 4K any day of the week.

I think 1440p is a bit low depending on the situation (i.e., 1440p at only 30fps would be pretty underwhelming), but yes, chasing native resolution in an era of reconstruction, dynamic res, and AI upscaling is unessessary.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My boy had a drive around wrecking cars yesterday and seemed to enjoy it. I'll give it a go soon (when I've got further through my backlog).

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I'm very much addicted to the game.
Cant wait for what updates they will bring to the game. Including performance increases.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
One of the characters' car ability literally cuts cars in half. I think she's my main. But I also like the King (from Tekken) lookalike as well.
I only tried a few. Some have better special abilities than others for sure.

I think the game needs a better tutorial. It's extremely bare, and there are too many things going on that aren't immediately obvious as they would be if this were a true arcade game where you walk up to the screen and intuitively figure it out. I think that's why someone else said "it feels empty" up above. There's a lot to do, but the game doesn't really explain why or how you do it.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only tried a few. Some have better special abilities than others for sure.

I think the game needs a better tutorial. It's extremely bare, and there are too many things going on that aren't immediately obvious as they would be if this were a true arcade game where you walk up to the screen and intuitively figure it out. I think that's why someone else said "it feels empty" up above. There's a lot to do, but the game doesn't really explain why or how you do it.
I'll agree with the "it looks empty" sentiment. The post match screen is incredibly bare bones for a game that screams presentation.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I must know! For anyone who's played SF: Rush 2049 back in the day, does this invoke any similarities between the stunt/arena mode in 2049?

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Game looks super crisp and super smooth, it is very impressive on that front. He mentioned trickstyle, The intros almost remind me of playing SSX, and makes be wish there was a new SSX games with this level of graphics. The game modes are unique are sort of ok all more or less based on destruction derby, with some additions. I honestly think they should add in their own take on car soccer like rocket league - which has always seemed like the most enjoyable way to play car combat games. The engine is really impressive, for them to just leave it as is.