• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Content sponsored by Destroy All Humans! In this video, Alex Battaglia revisits the 2005 original running on Xbox, what made it interesting and special, and how the game has been radically transformed visually thanks to the advanced technology of Unreal Engine 4.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Digital Foundry being sponsored by an actual publisher, that's not cool. I don't mind a Nvidia sponsor for example, but the guys that released the game... mmm

Anyways, the game looks really good, at least on PC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THQ Nordic wanted a comparison that badly?

tenor.gif

probably hard not to compare badly unless it really runs like shit, but I haven't heard anything about that. will give it watch though

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Weird that this has to be sponsored. The remake speaks for itself. It plays well, looks great, came in at a great price.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Not a fan of Digital Foundry being sponsored by an actual publisher, that's not cool. I don't mind a Nvidia sponsor for example, but the guys that released the game... mmm

To be fair I think this is a remake/remaster worth looking at considering the amount of work done on it (on the same level as a Crash/Spyro Trilogy imo). I wish they would also look at Spongebob but I understand i

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been hoping they'd do a comparison! Watched the GB Quick Look and the remaster looks beautiful.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018

I don't mind the sponsored content as long as they are branding it as sponsored content like they are here. It's good to have that honesty.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
While I'm slightly iffy on some of the human character models, the game is surprisingly very pretty in general and runs very well, so glad they've done this.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that this has to be sponsored. The remake speaks for itself. It plays well, looks great, came in at a great price.

I guess it wasn't high-enough profile of a game that they would have wanted to do a full tech breakdown.

As others have said, as long as they clearly stated this as Sponsored content, this is A-OK in my book.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I guess it wasn't high-enough profile of a game that they would have wanted to do a full tech breakdown.

As others have said, as long as they clearly stated this as Sponsored content, this is A-OK in my book.
Yeah, no qualms here with it. Just odd. Guess a little more publicity wouldn't hurt.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

To give a short explanation about what type of sponsored content we do.
This video is basically a "what the 2005 game did, what 2005 was like, and how the remaster looks different/does different things" video. Since it is sponsored we do not go into "review" territory here and start giving technical read outs and derived opinions based on them as it would compromise our reputation.

Like chandoog mentions - we have a busy schedule and need to make revenue to exist (not as easy as it sounds and it is not like I am earning big € anyway!), a smaller game like this would not actually get a full tech break down anyway.

edit: quick edit to remove a bit of incorrect info!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it; very bad look to accept sponsorship from the same company that did an AMA with 8chan last year and did nothing for it. And not even from a division like Saber or Deep Silver, but the same one (THQ Nordic) that did it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
To give a short explanation about what type of sponsored content we do.
This video is basically a "what the 2005 game did, what 2005 was like, and how the remaster looks different/does different things" video. Since it is sponsored we do not go into "review" territory here and start giving technical read outs and derived opinions based on them as it would compromise our reputation.

So a smaller video similar to the DF Retro sponsored video on Final Fantasy VII.

Like chandoog mentions - we have a busy schedule and need to make revenue to exist (not as easy as it sounds and it is not like I am earning big € anyway!), a smaller game like this would not actually get a full tech break down anyway.
That's good to know, and I appreciate the explanation.

I haven't been able to watch the video yet as I'm at work (my original post was just an observation of the idea of DF getting these kinds of sponsors, not specifically aimed at this one), so it's good to know in particular this, which was my main problem when the idea crossed my mind:

Since it is sponsored we do not go into "review" territory here and start giving technical read outs and derived opinions based on them as it would compromise our reputation.

So yeah, thank you Alex for the detail, I know you guys do a great job and if these kinds of deals allow you guys to make even greater content, I don't really have a problem with them.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me a lot of the Spyro remake, and honestly hoping we get more PS1/PS2 era classics doing something like this.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
At least it's not as shameless as these were.

Okay, so now that I'm watching the video, it's just as shameless.

I am still annoyed about how lame that Langrisser video was.

It gave very, very little attention to the older games and then jumped straight to selling the mobile title.