• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

The rumours are at last confirmed with Bluepoint's incredible reveal of its Demon's Souls Remake. The project sets out to make the very most of the PS5, boasting a native 4K, vastly improved visuals over PS3, and the prospect of ray-tracing support. Tom Morgan breaks down the trailer and assets released by Sony, showing how far we've come in over a generation.

Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-demons-souls-remake-ps5-first-look

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly disappointed they pushed so many changes to the games lighting so much, without keeping it dark and grity. I hope as more footage comes out it looks darker but still sad to see

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it, great video. Changes are pretty drastic here. The actual architecture for some of the environments are completely different. Makes me want a Halo style toggle to switch between original graphics and remake.

Also tried going back to see if DF had any coverage of Demon's Souls when it originally came out and it seems like almost all their last gen content was removed from YouTube. Which is somewhat of a disaster.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Honestly disappointed they pushed so many changes to the games lighting so much, without keeping it dark and grity. I hope as more footage comes out it looks darker but still sad to see
Very similar to what they did with Shadow of the Colossus.

Also tried going back to see if DF had any coverage of Demon's Souls when it originally came out and it seems like almost all their last gen content was removed from YouTube. Which is somewhat of a disaster.
I don't think they were as prominent back then. So it might juat not have existed at all.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've no complaints so far on the visuals, it feels like Bluepoint is taking everything up a notch and that's great considering it's a remake. Hyped to see what the swamp looks like.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Obligatory "this remake doesn't erase the original from existence".

Boy it looks great, can't wait to buy it, get my ass kicked by first boss, then sell it haha.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Wondering how they tailored the combat...would love some BB weapons unless they are gonna remaster that one too.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
If Bluepoint use their 1440p temporal injection method for the framerate mode then even that will look stellar. A 1080p mode won't cut it.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I they seem to comment that some of the footage may be pre-rendered, I think it is all at least in-engine. The Dragon God for instance, obviously isn't a CG model, and the intro landscapes look stunning but also don't have the say insane rock geometry you would expect on any decent CGI. Anyway, it is looking stunning. I expect it to release next year, but launch would be awesome.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Maybe, but it's definitely the case that most of their content prior to 2013 is missing.
That's because they weren't on Youtube back then. Prior to 2013 they used an embedded player on the Eurogamer website that was capable of playing video at 60fps with much cleaner encoding than Youtube could do at the time. It was actually a major downgrade when they did start posting their videos to Youtube as they made the switch before Youtube added 60fps support.

It's also worth pointing out they didn't start posting edited and narrated videos to Youtube until 2014 or 2015. Prior to that the videos were just short montages of framerate tests or console comparisons, with the actual commentary presented in written form on the Eurogamer website.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
That's because they weren't on Youtube back then. Prior to 2013 they used an embedded player on the Eurogamer website that was capable of playing video at 60fps with much cleaner encoding than Youtube was capable of at the time. It was actually a major downgrade when they did start posting their videos to Youtube as they made the switch before Youtube added 60fps support.

It's also worth pointing out they didn't start posting edited and commented videos to Youtube until 2014 or 2015. Prior to that the videos were just short framerate tests or comparisons, with the actual commentary presented in written form on the Eurogamer website.
They've become such a pillar of the industry now that it's weird to think back to that simpler time.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
While I they seem to comment that some of the footage may be pre-rendered, I think it is all at least in-engine. The Dragon God for instance, obviously isn't a CG model, and the intro landscapes look stunning but also don't have the say insane rock geometry you would expect on any decent CGI. Anyway, it is looking stunning. I expect it to release next year, but launch would be awesome.
I didn't understand that part either. I think by pre rendered they meant real time rendering in engine but without any game code - so cinematics in games these days basically. Sony clearly states all footage is captured off of PS5 for the event so it can't be an off line render (which as you say would look much better). Horizon and Hellblade trailers were also the same I think

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
That's because they weren't on Youtube back then. Prior to 2013 they used an embedded player on the Eurogamer website that was capable of playing video at 60fps with much cleaner encoding than Youtube was capable of at the time. It was actually a major downgrade when they did start posting their videos to Youtube as they made the switch before Youtube added 60fps support.

It's also worth pointing out they didn't start posting edited and narrated videos to Youtube until 2014 or 2015. Prior to that the videos were just short montages of framerate tests or console comparisons, with the actual commentary presented in written form on the Eurogamer website.
I could have sworn they did tech reviews on YouTube for last gen games. Maybe it's a case of false memory?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you'd know bluepoint, you'll know it wasn't never gonna be a 100% recreation.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Nothing was removed, it was never on Youtube for the most part. (It was as text articles with screenshots and sometimes a framerate or slowed down graphics comparison video hosted on the Eurogamer website and not YT).

Those short snippets of video on the EG website are not on YT and makes up a healthy amount of x360/PS3 DF work.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird because the trailer looks too bright, Tower Knight looks super fucked, but in images they've released like:

demons-souls-ps5-tower-knight-screenshots.original.jpg

it looks absolutely fine??? Different but still moody, unlike the trailer shot

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
For me it's exactly the same as their SOTC remake. Higher fidelity graphics but they have not been able to capture the ambience of the original. I don't mind the changes to enemy designs and architecture but they've got something as basic as the skybox/lighting completely wrong. This is a greying, decaying world and what we've seen from this remake is way too bright.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I trust Bluepoint. The trailer shots were weird and looked more like Darksiders or something with the lighting, but the screenshots that have come out since have been perfect.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It looks great, I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't be shackled / restricted by the original and should be free to put their own flavor to this remake. It's not Demon's Souls HD after all.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
People need to understand that this a REMAKE and not a REMASTER. If you need examples just go look at Resident Evil Remake 2/3 and compare them to the original ps1 games.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing was removed, it was never on Youtube for the most part. (It was as text articles with screenshots and sometimes a framerate or slowed down graphics comparison video hosted on the Eurogamer website and not YT).

Those short snippets of video on the EG website are not on YT and makes up a healthy amount of x360/PS3 DF work.
Thanks, I stand corrected. It's slightly depressing but it turns out my memory of that era was inaccurate.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's weird because the trailer looks too bright, Tower Knight looks super fucked, but in images they've released like:

demons-souls-ps5-tower-knight-screenshots.original.jpg

it looks absolutely fine??? Different but still moody, unlike the trailer shot
Yeah I do hope it's just the angle that make it look like that but we will have to see.