• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
The reason I was surprised it was 1440, is because I was hoping games would be 4K 60 this generation.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The devs already confirmed RT and other analysis of the same footage has identified proof of RT reflections being on, nothing about RT shadows yet though. It's more than safe to assume it's there imo.

That aside I assume the first DF comparisons on multiplatform next gen games will be graveyards with banned people. I'll just say, if you care that much about the highest resolution and framerate build a PC. We will see 1440p games on all next gen platforms.

We all should welcome options in terms of resolution and framerate, the power is in your hands to choose what you prefer.

With regards to RT-

For shadows- It is sort of hard to tell one way or another from that footage
For reflection- If that bit which contained the puddle onto which the torch's reflection was shone is being used as evidence then it is a bad one. At no point does the player character's geometry obfuscates the torch which would have confirmed the presence or absence of RT reflection.

So all in all, while I do not doubt the dev's claim, they have not specified which mode makes what feature of RT available and so it is best to await a deeper dive from more footage down the line.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I was surprised it was 1440, is because I was hoping games would be 4K 60 this generation.

They barely do this on PCs that cost much more running current gen games. Not too mention things like the IQ are quickly bridging the visual gap so things like native 4K begin losing their value.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
tenor.gif

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The race to native 4K will be over quicker than you can say Umbasa.

We're getting results from 1440p output that look so good that people think it's native 4K and have to be told it's not. DLSS solutions can reconstruct lower than 4K images into ones than look better than native 4K. It's not the be all and end all.
I do not think the reason why people are not questioning the resolution is because it basically looks 4K already. Far from. Rather the framerate and visual features and effects make resolution less important subjectively and there is only this one instance of comparison. The game just looks good and smooth and people are happy about that - I know I am. But it is not like it looks like 4K or something - it is just heavily post processes so counting is not easy and seeing Pixel edges is less common. If you had demon souls running at 4K vs. It running at 1440p the differences would be obvious to the most casual observer.
To put it simply - the game does not look 4K, we have no reference to say it does. And that will most likely be intuitively obvious when we do see the real 4K Mode. Rather, it looks good and runs good here, which is more important than some metric of resolution at the end of the day.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So it's looking like it won't be 4k 60fps. One has to be lowered so that either 60fps or 4k is reached on PS5.

Correct. For this particular game, they pushed the engine further than they could have at 4k60 and thus went down in resolution to achieve their visual goals at the target framerate.

The devs already confirmed RT and other analysis of the same footage has identified proof of RT reflections being on, nothing about RT shadows yet though. It's more than safe to assume it's there imo.

That aside I assume the first DF comparisons on multiplatform next gen games will be graveyards with banned people. I'll just say, if you care that much about the highest resolution and framerate build a PC. We will see 1440p games on all next gen platforms.

We all should welcome options in terms of resolution and framerate, the power is in your hands to choose what you prefer.

We do know it has "ray-tracing" (though they've not said what form of it as far as I know), but we don't know if that's in both render modes or just the "fidelity" mode.

If this section is the proof of RT reflections, then sure, it could be RT, but it could be SSR or planar reflections or something, too. I don't think it's definitive proof either way with what we saw.

50391543981_2cc7f273e3_b.jpg

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited for this to be one of the five games I'm getting at launch even if it'll look fuzzy on my 1440p monitor lol

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Demon's Souls Remake is going to be awesome, as the most technically cutting edge Souls game to date.

That said, I cannot help but wonder, if Sony had given PS5 72 CU, or even 60, plus a wider, 384-bit bus, with 18 GB of GDDR6 (using faster, 16 Gbps chips), allowing much higher memory bandwidth (i.e. well north of 600GB/sec). Even at the expense of some clockspeed (1.9 or 2.0 GHz, locked).

This Remake could've been native 4K, 60fps and a dash of raytracing for some elements.

That said, I am very, very happy, grateful even, that Demon's Souls Remake has performance mode that should be a near-locked 60fps by the time of release
and perhaps just a typical, day-one patch.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I do not think the reason why people are not questioning the resolution is because it basically looks 4K already. Far from. Rather the framerate and visual features and effects make resolution less important subjectively and there is only this one instance of comparison. The game just looks good and smooth and people are happy about that - I know I am. But it is not like it looks like 4K or something - it is just heavily post processes so counting is not easy and seeing Pixel edges is less common. If you had demon souls running at 4K vs. It running at 1440p the differences would be obvious to the most casual observer.
To put it simply - the game does not look 4K, we have no reference to say it does. And that will most likely be intuitively obvious when we do see the real 4K Mode. Rather, it looks good and runs good here, which is more important than some metric of resolution at the end of the day.

Right, I'm also just delighted that 60fps was a priority.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls Remake is going to be awesome, as the most technically cutting edge Souls game to date.

That said, I cannot help but wonder, if Sony had given PS5 72 CU, or even 60, plus a wider, 384-bit bus, with 18 GB of GDDR6 (using faster, 16 Gbps chips), allowing much higher memory bandwidth (i.e. well north of 600GB/sec). Even at the expense of some clockspeed (1.9 or 2.0 GHz, locked).

This Remake could've been native 4K, 60fps and a dash of raytracing for some elements.

That said, I am very, very happy, grateful even, that Demon's Souls Remake has performance mode that should be close to a locked 60fps by the time of release

It also would have been $600+ if you keep upping the specs in nearly every category

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

But that is the paradigm around which affordable closed spec systems, aka consoles are built.

Instead look at this way: You are playing the game on PS3, a circa 230 GFLOPS system w/5400 RPM HDD w/8-16MB cache, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM and 256MB XDR System RAM w/ the OS taking up around 96MB of total allocation and finally a 3.2GHz CELL GPU that was a PIA for many developers and are wondering- What if this game was running on the specs they are running on today (which are far superior to what you could have even imagined back in 2009 when the title was released)?

Well we have our answer.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
No one had any idea it wasn't 4K until this video. If it's that hard to tell, what's the point?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

That said, I am very, very happy, grateful even, that Demon's Souls Remake has performance mode that should be a near-locked 60fps by the time of release
Maybe. Or maybe they would have just increased fidelity further and kept the 1440p. Who knows.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect that because you have an eye for it, it doesn't look 4K to you, but evidently a lot of people didn't feel the same way or we'd have had people pointing it out a while ago. You have a good point: the real 4K mode will put things in perspective - but I still don't think it will improve people's ability to spot "real 4K" because every game is different.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
1440p and 60fps is a great balance of performance and visuals. I'm down for more 1440p 60fps games if this is what they end up looking like lol

This is probably the best looking next gen game until Ratchet comes out. The numbers matter less when you look at the actual results.

I do wonder what the 4K 30 mode looks like even though I'm not likely to play that way.

Woah, 1440p, that's crazy considering how clean it looks even on Youtube. How crisp will the 4k mode direct from PS5 look on our TVs🤯 Too bad I have to go to bed, will watch the video tomorrow.

Quick question for people who have played the SOTC remake (I have it, but I don't play it because I don't want to kill the Colossii): can you switch performance mode and quality mode on the fly? Thinkimg about screenshots...unless they have a solid photo mode that automatically goes into quality mode.

someone else correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC you can just choose between modes in the pause menu.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Looks so good. 1440p 60 will be the mode I choose for sure. I wouldnt be able to tell the difference sitting 2m away on my 42inch TV anyway.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Games will be 4K 60 this generation, just not all of them. Typically its up to the devs on what they want to target for their games. If bluepoint wanted to target 4K 60, then they would need to lower the visual fidelity, or work with significantly stronger hardware.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
So can this game be co-oped like BB? I only played a very little bit back on PS3 didn't get very far. I think I heard they upped the amount of connected players, but is that just PVP invasions only or something?

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
What a gorgeous looking game! Can't wait to try it. Hopefully i still have a chance to get a PS5 preorder in somewhere before November? Maybe some stock will show up somewhere again.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
So can this game be co-oped like BB? I only played a very little bit back on PS3 didn't get very far. I think I heard they upped the amount of connected players, but is that just PVP invasions only or something?
Yeah they increased the cap, now is going to be like DS3, up to 4 players PVE and up to 6 players PVP(then you have the combinations, 2x2, 3x3, 4x1 etc).

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
No one said anything about RT here!
Any initial suspicion on the lighting model? Perhaps it was mentioned in DF's analysis and I missed it.

Any possibility it's SVOGI? Whatever it is it looks to be of high fidelity - I'm struggling to see obvious flaws like light leakage, bad AO, low resolution shadows/volumetrics, etc.

I'm also generally curious what non-RT lighting models we can expect to see in the next-gen. I am expecting SVOGI to be relatively prevalent, given that next-gen machines now have the power to implement what current-gen systems could not, and also given how good the results seem to be.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing LoU2 on my 65" C9, I have no issues with 1440p. I think LoU2 looks as good perhaps even better than Gears 5 running in 4K on XsX. Im fine with. next gen @1440p 60fps w/ ultra like settings.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its okay to enjoy things at native 4k, ill be playing on fidelity mode. No need to say its a waste of resources when you have a choice, no one is forcing you to sacrafice performance. I enjoy the clean image provided with a native 4k resolution, and its worth pursuing imo

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why ? Some games will be 4k 60, some will be 1440p 60. Devil may cry 5 special edition is 1080p 60 on xsx and ps5 and not confirmed for xss .

It's not an unreasonable assumption at all, considering the One X and Pro were marketed as 4k gaming. As it is the PS5 and series X are pretty close to hitting native 4k, from a hardware perspective.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not an unreasonable assumption at all, considering the One X and Pro were marketed as 4k gaming. As it is the PS5 and series X are pretty close to hitting native 4k, from a hardware perspective.
There is native 4k mode as well here. Beside 4k of last gen was achieved by mid gens and not out of the gate.also fidelity of this game is not like anything we have seen. 2080ti can not run many games 4k 60 at ultra setting. Does that mean 2080ti doesn't meet expectation? Not really. Game dev is about compromises regardless of the hardware .

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think its okay to enjoy things at native 4k, ill be playing on fidelity mode. No need to say its a waste of resources when you have a choice, no one is forcing you to sacrafice performance. I enjoy the clean image provided with a native 4k resolution, and its worth pursuing imo

Totally ok to enjoy native 4k.

Hoping for an unlocked frame rate , I'd definitely lean into the native side if I could get 40ish fps

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
There would be a 4K30fps mode too right? I guess then we would have a reference. If it does have such a mode. Or if not this game, which eve game comes out that does. I hear SM:MM would.

I would really like to see how obvious these differences would be.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I seriously doubt that many games will be native 4k60fps this generation, even with the new hardware for both consoles the processing cost of 4k just simply isn't worth it when you can use the budget to add or enhance more effects.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

Just to avoid further confusion in the context you describe, when to you say the game "doesn't look 4k", is that at normal viewing distance or under a microscope?

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly happens when a game is 1440 on a 4k tv? Does the tv process it and upscale it to 4k? Downscale it? Can tv's change resolutions like monitors and just switch res? I'm looking to buy a 4k tv this fall and am wondering.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
What exactly happens when a game is 1440 on a 4k tv? Does the tv process it and upscale it to 4k? Downscale it? Can tv's change resolutions like monitors and just switch res? I'm looking to buy a 4k tv this fall and am wondering.

In this case the PS5 will be outputting a 4k image regardless of the games resolution.

They might support 1440 like Xbox does already but we haven't heard anything about it yet

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The small uninterrupted gameplay portion didn't exhibit any screen tearing, did it? I only caught a few in the clips after the player dies.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Hoping with VRR, those slight hiccups from 60 FPS won't even feel noticeable!
I wonder if this title will support VRR, no mention of it so far. Since they are using Adaptive Vsync, I wonder if it wouldn't be too much extra work to add in/support VRR.

Would be great to play this at 1440p uncapped frame rate with VRR.😍

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this title will support VRR, no mention of it so far. Since they are using Adaptive Vsync, I wonder if it wouldn't be too much extra work to add in/support VRR.

Would be great to play this at 1440p uncapped frame rate with VRR.😍

Am really hoping for VRR support on system level for both next gen consoles

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. I was trying to say this but people were saying you guys were saying it was indistinguishable from 4K, which I guarantee it isn't.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017

And 850-1k for the ps5