• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I would punctualize that, while I was "disappointed" in it not being 4k, it was thinking of it as benchmark. 1440p/60 with nice AA looks close enough.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm slightly confused though - so there was a 4K 60 trailer first released, that said it was running on a PS5? But now it's 1440p 60 ? So was that first trailer not actually running on a PS5 ?
The game has a resolution mode, they haven't said what it targets. Also 4K upload doesn't necessarily mean it's running at native 4K.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
People seem to be overly obsessed with the number of pixels and not with the quality of the pixels (as Richard Leadbetter would say). All things being equal, higher resolutions are nice, but when a game looks like this (and at 60fps!), who gives a shit if it's 1440p or 2160p? Do you think RDR1 in 4K on XOX looks better than RDR2 at 900p on Xbox One S? Come on.

Here's a question I'm sure will be looked down on: will they include an easy mode?

We don't know, but the fact that the demo ended with Vanguard kicking the player's butt with a prominent "You died" on screen seems like Bluepoint telegraphing that they're planning to keep the difficulty intact.

It reminded me of the "Prepare to die" marketing push Bamco did for the original Dark Souls.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm slightly confused though - so there was a 4K 60 trailer first released, that said it was running on a PS5? But now it's 1440p 60 ? So was that first trailer not actually running on a PS5 ?
You see how your PS4pro has 4K on marketing but its not actual 4K? At the end, its all marketing.

PS5 can output native 4K if needed. I think now the max output is 8K for PS5 and Xbox. Lol

Anyways developers can upscale their games to a "not real 4k" image and still be a good alternative to real native 4K.

Demon's Souls likely has 2 mode of play. 1440p/60 (which will upscale to 4k) or 4K native /30FPS.

I'll let someone answer with more technical info but we haven't seen the native 4k mode which will like be more impressive looking and may include Ray tracing technology.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and the PS4 games free with ps plus I kind of regret not attempting to pre order a PS5, but at the time I was still having thoughts of getting a 3090... (which I later abandoned)

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Pixel counting will become a lost art this upcoming generation as it pertains to PS5 and Series X games because the quality of the image they can produce are almost CG, resolution doesn't matter with these systems. When Sony dropped the "4k" 60 trailer after the show i didn't see a single person question if it was actually 1440p because it looked like a crisp 4k image but now people are soooo disappointed it's not true 4k smh I'm glad most devs aren't hardliners and are making the best looking games they can make regardless of resolution

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Crazy to see the difference in people's reactions when it comes to resolution x performance on each platform.

On PC people are celebrating the arrival of DLSS while on consoles there are still someones who complain that the game does not reach a certain native resolution, even though the end result is great.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris at native 8K would be THE next gen showcase for a lot people I bet.

BBYkzQx.gif

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
People seem to be overly obsessed with the number
If you think Series S will run something at 1440p 60 fps at this level of fidelity. This a dream...
Obviously it couldn't run this at 1440p/60 it'd probably be 1080p or 900p/60, but if PS5 is 4k/30 then the Series S could probably do 1440p/30. A lot of people are saying 1440p doesn't look next gen, but from a pure visual perspective 1440p actually looks really good.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Obviously it couldn't run this at 1440p/60 it'd probably be 1080p or 900p/60, but if PS5 is 4k/30 then the Series S could probably do 1440p/30. A lot of people are saying 1440p doesn't look next gen, but from a pure visual perspective 1440p actually looks really good.

I think if PS5 is 4k 30 fps. Series S will probably a res behind 1080p and 1440p and tons of other things will suffer. XSS has much less memory and this is the biggest complaint of developer and what Richard Leadbetter think will be a huge problem in the future.

watch this video

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its damn impressive that its 1440p 60. Honestly on the 4k YouTube video it looked so clean and sharp I would have thought its native 4k, so this is extremely exciting!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
....why is anyone complaining. Anyone.

Are y'all seeing what's being rendered? The fidelity? The framerate?

Until DF pixel counted, no one said shit about resolution. Yo, for real, wtf is wrong with some of y'all?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1440p has 44% the pixelcount of 4k, xss has 39% the power of ps5, so that might work out in some cases, not in others. But other things will probably be dialed down too
(let me know if the calculation doesnt make sense)

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
....why is anyone complaining. Anyone.

Are y'all seeing what's being rendered? The fidelity? The framerate?

Until DF pixel counted, no one said shit about resolution. Yo, for real, wtf is wrong with some of y'all?
Peeps who are "concerned" or "worried" were never going to buy this game or ps5 anyways.

My guess.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Much concern trolling going on in this thread from much concern over performance of an unfinished title dipping to mid-50s with screen tearing locked to top and/or bottom 10% screen to claim a well design box would need a performance mode (the latter I partially agree with but it has absolutely nothing to do with "Design of the box" which is an inane statement for next gen consoles, but rather as a design choice to placate maximum number of players).

So many people could not even tell what the stats were before a pro outlet provided people with numbers for both resolution and framerate.

It will be interesting to see how the final title fares once it hits retail. Depending on the cut backs, I may opt to go for the full fat fx experience (don't give a rats ass about it being native 4K though) at stable/locked 30fps which would still be a far cry from how the OG title ran on PS3 on occasion.

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
That nearly non existent loading transition is a huge achievement. The quality of life improvements with the new consoles are the most exciting aspect to me.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
1440p has 44% the pixelcount of 4k, xss has 39% the power of ps5, so that might work out in some cases, not in others. But other things will probably be dialed down too
(let me know if the calculation doesnt make sense)
Yeah it will be interesting to see, that's pretty close. It also helps that the CPU speeds and core counts are very similar. It would certainly be able to do above 1080p. Also resources don't scale completely linearly. 4k is usually more demanding than a straight linear relationship would lead to to believe.

I think if PS5 is 4k 30 fps. Series S will probably a res behind 1080p and 1440p and tons of other things will suffer. XSS has much less memory and this is the biggest complaint of developer and what Richard Leadbetter think will be a huge problem in the future.

The Series S has 39% the power and 1080p is 25% of 4k so it has plenty of headroom from a GPU count to run a 4k PS5 game at 1080p or above. I have watched that video and the RAM is a bigger issue, but that will be more about texture quality and size instead of resolution.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
  1. The game was running in native 1440P, but Bluepoint's AA and motion blur makes everything so crispy that is hard to point this out even through pixel counting.
  2. It was very likely running on Performance mode, Graphics 4K mode expected to look good.
  3. No signs of raytraced shadows
  4. The game was running in 60FPS for most part with some dips here and there, as it is in development it isn't something to bother.

So, 1440p/60, 4k/30. I'm OK with this. This is great

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
I can agree more with the people here. We don't care about the pixel count. DS is a massive fist in the face. Only the render count. This fidelity at 60fps is amazing

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
What I hope from next gen is a 4k/30 and a 1440p/60 standard. That would be a pretty big jump from the 1080p/30 standard of current gen.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
No one said anything about RT here!
The devs already confirmed RT and other analysis of the same footage has identified proof of RT reflections being on, nothing about RT shadows yet though. It's more than safe to assume it's there imo.

That aside I assume the first DF comparisons on multiplatform next gen games will be graveyards with banned people. I'll just say, if you care that much about the highest resolution and framerate build a PC. We will see 1440p games on all next gen platforms.

We all should welcome options in terms of resolution and framerate, the power is in your hands to choose what you prefer.

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Woah, 1440p, that's crazy considering how clean it looks even on Youtube. How crisp will the 4k mode direct from PS5 look on our TVs🤯 Too bad I have to go to bed, will watch the video tomorrow.

Quick question for people who have played the SOTC remake (I have it, but I don't play it because I don't want to kill the Colossii): can you switch performance mode and quality mode on the fly? Thinkimg about screenshots...unless they have a solid photo mode that automatically goes into quality mode.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Performance looks good enough, I don't think anyone is going to complain about that.

I do wonder if the Raytraced shadows are maybe saved for the 4k30fps mode? That'd make sense.

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The full 4K will be sharp as heck. Maybe PS5 Pro will be sold for that at 60fps.

Is it using the original engine?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pixel counting will become a lost art this upcoming generation as it pertains to PS5 and Series X games because the quality of the image they can produce are almost CG, resolution doesn't matter with these systems. When Sony dropped the "4k" 60 trailer after the show i didn't see a single person question if it was actually 1440p because it looked like a crisp 4k image but now people are soooo disappointed it's not true 4k smh I'm glad most devs aren't hardliners and are making the best looking games they can make regardless of resolution

It's pretty amusing. How can it possibly be "disappointing" when no one had a clue until Digital Foundry spent ages counting the pixels?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's pretty amusing. How can it possibly be "disappointing" when no one had a clue until Digital Foundry spent ages counting the pixels?
Its embarrassingly silly to me whenever I see stuff like that.

Like they are all quiet and content then the second someone counts pixels and tells them its not 4K they suddenly become disappointed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Its embarrassingly silly to me whenever I see stuff like that.

Like they are all quiet and content then the second someone counts pixels and tells them its not 4K they suddenly become disappointed.

Before DF/NXG/VG Tech roll out their stats, most people be like:

0gkXUpd.gif

Then when numbers rolled in a portion of them were like:

cyFZdLS.gif

Now in this thread they're like:

OibV5vo.gif

Paraphrasing: "Will the performance hold or get better?", "Is the PS5 a well designed box?"

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It was the same thing with the UE5 demo everybody was floored.....until they announced it was 1440p then it became divisive I'm getting to old for this shit
It's even dumber when you consider native 4K @ 60fps is very difficult to do with visually demanding games even on the best PCs money can buy. It is beyond me that people's expectations are this out of whack. Imagine if we got not so cutting edge hardware like we did in 2013 instead of the better than usual console boxes we're getting in November? This place would have burned to the ground.

If 4K/60 is that critical to you build a fucking PC Jesus Christ. Console hardware is not the arena where that will be the norm any time soon.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Has it been confirmed that PS5 games will support VRR? I realise the console will, being HDMI 2.1, but not seen Sony talking about supporting it yet in games etc? At least then any slight dips from 60 will be unnoticeable, although the final version will be a locked 60 regardless.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The devs already confirmed RT and other analysis of the same footage has identified proof of RT reflections being on, nothing about RT shadows yet though. It's more than safe to assume it's there imo.

That aside I assume the first DF comparisons on multiplatform next gen games will be graveyards with banned people. I'll just say, if you care that much about the highest resolution and framerate build a PC. We will see 1440p games on all next gen platforms.

We all should welcome options in terms of resolution and framerate, the power is in your hands to choose what you prefer.
I say wait on the RT Thing, specifically regarding what it is and if it exists at all. And no, i do not believe for a second another analysis found actual incrovertible evidence of it. The reflections here are not RT.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'm okay with this image quality and 60fps. It looks unbelievably good.

I can't wait.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The race to native 4K will be over quicker than you can say Umbasa.

We're getting results from 1440p output that look so good that people think it's native 4K and have to be told it's not. DLSS solutions can reconstruct lower than 4K images into ones than look better than native 4K. It's not the be all and end all.