• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I meant the Series S which has been getting lots of negativity because it runs it's targeting 1440p. And as this video shows 1440p looks next-gen.

If you think Series S will run something at 1440p 60 fps at this level of fidelity. This a dream...

vlcsnap-2020-09-17-21h17m07s046.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-17-21h17m39s461.png

x2UvfMn.jpg

eXmQa8a.jpg

ygHxpOU.jpg

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
check out some rtx 3080 fps benchmarks and you will notice very little headroom for locked 60 fps at 4k.... and thats current gen games. We will probably see alot 1440p next gen games on ps5 with nice upscaling methods.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
check out some rtx 3080 fps benchmarks and you will notice very little headroom for locked 60 fps at 4k.... and thats current gen games. We will probably see alot 1440p next gen games on ps5 with nice upscaling methods.

Yeah, even 3080 is not a real 4k 60fps card. Not without DLSS which is only supported by a handful of games. At the same time I hope Bluepoint, and every other dev to start integrating temporal super sampling like UE4 into their games, performance hit is low and looks a lot better than native 1440p especially when games runs at 60fps. Ghosting is cut down to minimal.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Most likely gonna opt for the 4K mode whenever I get my hands on the game, looks amazing.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Best looking game like ever, it surpasses even Ratchet and Clank for being best showcase for next gen.
I find Ratchet and Clank more technically impressive and might end up looking as good if not better than Demon's Souls Remake in the end whenever it comes out, but yeah Demon's Souls is a hell of a looker too.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I meant the Series S which has been getting lots of negativity because it runs it's targeting 1440p. And as this video shows 1440p looks next-gen.

I'm not down on the Series S at all, but it got criticism because many(most?) expect non-native resolutions and dynamic resolutions to stay all next gen, and that it wouldn't be enough to play next gen games at 1440p.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What does it say about this industry that the one next-gen looking game wowing people is a Remake?
What does this even mean? It's rebuild from the ground up, it's all new assets. So what does it matter if it's a remake?

Did people use the same logic with Resident Evil 2 Remake concerning its tech, graphics, being GOTY candidate, etc? Or, hell, FF7R?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it will be more disappointing for the Series X, since they are hammering home their 4K message as well as 120Hz all the time.
Notice how MS never says "native" 4K.

They say "true" 4K but that could mean it outputs in 4K from the console which isn't the same as calling the game's output native.

Point is, NATIVE 4K/60 locked without RT, is still a ways off.

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
So it's looking like it won't be 4k 60fps. One has to be lowered so that either 60fps or 4k is reached on PS5.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Demons Souls is the first launch title that really actually looks next generation since the PS2/GC/Xbox/DC generation.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to rely on pixel counting to see the 1440p then what's the point :p

Great job by Bluepoint.

No raytracing is not really surprising, the environments so far don't really seem like they would really need one. They did say there is raytracing so maybe they just missed it?

Digital Foundry pixel counts everything? Who is to say a 4K image wouldn't look much crisper?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry pixel counts everything? Who is to say a 4K image wouldn't look much crisper?
The question in this specific context would be if it would've been worth only achieving a native 4k image if the trade off was lack of 60fps? Thankfully this game offers both options and allowing players to decide what tradeoffs they're willing to accept.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The question in this specific context would be if it would've been worth only achieving a native 4k image if the trade off was lack of 60fps? Thankfully this game offers both options and allowing players to decide what tradeoffs they're willing to accept.

I mean obviously I'll take 1440p if it means 60. But just saying that if you have to pixel count to tell it's not 4K is missing the point. They always pixel count. A 4K image would probably indeed look better.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
What does it say about this industry that the one next-gen looking game wowing people is a Remake?
Morrigan made a good point but Bluepoint have been clear this is a "reimagining" of DeS not a 1:1 remake so while its a similar game, everything about it is new. I dont think you can dismiss it for being a remake. Its like implying underneath the "fancy new graphics", all the PS3 code is still running so its like a "semi-new" game where a toggle could bring back the original graphics.

Also I know you must be aware of the level of hype of this project. Playstation fans have been asking for 7 years for it to come back in some shape or form. Ill be honest and the MOST I expected was a locked 30FPS high res PS3 remaster for PS4 at the time. Even when BluePoint was teasing their next project, it wasn't guaranteed to be Demon's Souls. From my understanding now, only some insiders knew there was a DeS project or something like that but it wasnt really public knowledge.

So this year it was confirmed to be coming and in the past few weeks learned its a LAUNCH title. Like we went from 0-100 with this game. It looks unbelievable to boot and the load speeds. So for you to make it seem like the industry is in such a low state for this game to be the one thing hyped. Like cmon. Bluepoint deserves more credit than that. Its clear they have gone above and beyond on this project. Fans should be happy just about that alone.

Lastly you know the current climate. Projects and launches have been impacted by Covid. I think if we didn't have that issue, the launch line up could have been slightly different BUT if you compare past PS launches, PS5 has the best 1st party launch to date. Miles looks to be another solid game. Next up is Ratchet and Horizon which i feel will make it 2021 window. I dont think its a problem for Sony to give each of this big IPs some room to breath in between them as well.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I know there's not a big difference, but I'm a little disappointed that it's not 4k 60fps. Maybe I overestimated how powerful the next gen machines were.

Did you watch that DF a couple months ago where they compared the up res techniques on I think it was Doom Eternal at 1440 compared to native 4K and you couldn't tell a difference unless you pixel counted and even then it was difficult to pin point? After that I haven't cared about the stats on the box as long as it looks amazing

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I see some people are still using resolution as a major metric of graphical capabilities. Like what is rendered does't matter, or the fact that upscaling/reconstruction techniques have gone a long way...

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I mean obviously I'll take 1440p if it means 60. But just saying that if you have to pixel count to tell it's not 4K is missing the point. They always pixel count. A 4K image would probably indeed look better.
4K almost always will be better, but the point is how it looks, I'm sure that it will have other differences besides resolution between graphics and performance modes, but if resolution is a thing you care for, in this case it won't matter since is indistinguishable for the naked eye.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Did you watch that DF a couple months ago where they compared the up res techniques on I think it was Doom Eternal at 1440 compared to native 4K and you couldn't tell a difference unless you pixel counted and even then it was difficult to pin point? After that I haven't cared about the stats on the box as long as it looks amazing
1440p to 4k is still a very noticeable difference in IQ. From my personal exp, 1620p to 4k is where thing start getting very close and hard to tell apart. 1620p is 75% of native 4k, couple with adoptive base sharpening and good TAA, you almost can't tell. So 1620p should be the base line for next gen if they can't hit native 4k.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
4K almost always will be better, but the point is how it looks, I'm sure that it will have other differences besides resolution between graphics and performance modes, but if resolution is a thing you care for, in this case it won't matter since is indistinguishable for the naked eye.

I just sincerely doubt it's indistinguishable.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If a person who works with this needed to use a technique which its function is to distinguish 4K and ''F4KE'', and even so had difficulties, I doubt that the majority of people will notice while playing in their 4K TVs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not saying it doesn't look very good. But I think the difference will be noticeable. Everyone's ability to tell is subjective.

Either way it's still good news.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I've seen this type of post a couple of times now. "Check their post history". Well I hope Mods clamp down on that stuff come launch because its unfair for people to try to have a discussion with users just driveby posting bullshit and leaving or derail the thread.
There has been numerous people pulling that drive-by bs posting for months now and they continue to do it. Nothing is going to change come release, sadly.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Im torn but i think i play 4k mode for exploration and just to see it

60fps mode for the majority of the playthrough

Glad to have multiple options.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm slightly confused though - so there was a 4K 60 trailer first released, that said it was running on a PS5? But now it's 1440p 60 ? So was that first trailer not actually running on a PS5 ?

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm slightly confused though - so there was a 4K 60 trailer first released, that said it was running on a PS5? But now it's 1440p 60 ? So was that first trailer not actually running on a PS5 ?
The video was uploaded in 4K, it doesn't mean that the game was running at 4K.

Here's a question I'm sure will be looked down on: will they include an easy mode?
No one knows.
There is still a game mode to be revealed tho, Fractured mode or something.