• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The material work in this game is out of this world. Huge props to the studio.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Decima going from Killzone to Until Dawn, to Horizon and now, Death Stranding. It's becoming one of the best engines in the industry next to RE engine and easily Sony's best engine. Guerilla really knows what their doing with tech. Horizon on PS5 will be incredible.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, didn't notice that detail with the baby's hand before. Only thing that concerns me right now re: DeSt is that we haven't seen any base PS4 footage yet, and I hope it'll be close to what they've shown so far

I still can't believe that's an actual character's name.

It's the most Kojima-esque shit and I'm here for it

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't see how people could think this is CGI, for realtime rendering in an open world game it's phenomenal but the limitations of real time rendering still stick out.

different people were saying they were either CGI or offline cutscenes based in engine....i didnt really see the logic of the CGI comments but in engine FMV's can be tricky sometimes

I guess these cutscenes just like that good to some

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I don't like the face of the blond lady that isn't LĂ©a Seydoux, it looks a bit off. There's something about it that makes her look more fake than the rest.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the face of the blond lady that isn't LĂ©a Seydoux, it looks a bit off. There's something about it that makes her look more fake than the rest.
Because the real actress, Lindsay Wagner, is 69 years old. She's the only one of the actors mentioned who had her character altered significantly for obvious reasons.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on resolution/fps? Word around is checkboard 4k/locked 30fps, and looks kinda like that to me

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
different people were saying they were either CGI or offline cutscenes based in engine....i didnt really see the logic of the CGI comments but in engine FMV's can be tricky sometimes

I guess these cutscenes just like that good to some
I mean we had DMCV, RE2, and Hellblade all running in realtime with photorealistic scanned in character models in real time. It's the end of the gen so the gloves are pretty much off.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Remember the narrative at the start of this gen ?

" We won't see major improvements from the first few next gen titles"

giphy.gif

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This engine blows m me away with every showing. Really impressive that KojiPro can utilize it so well and get a game up and out the door in a reasonable amount of time on Guerrilla's engine.

I can't even begin to imagine what Guerrilla will do with it on next-gen hardware. This at 60fps with more interaction and simulation with little to no loading would look and feel like an incredible leap.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I thought it was Tricia Helfer when I first saw the trailer. I agree she is the one that is furthest from her real life counterpart.

EDIT: nevermind, thought you meant the apparent Lindsey Wagner character.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any gameplay video of the water in Death Stranding? Not rain but like rivers or lakes? That was Horizon's real weak point and I'm really curious about how it's improved.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of nuts how many details are actually in each frame of this game, when contrasted with how long they've worked on it. Whenever they would freeze-frame the video and point something out, like the flora growing in real time, or a character's eyelids, etc., I wondered -- would I notice it? How many details, on average, go unnoticed by a player who runs through an environment rather than purposefully slowing down their time with a game to analyze the work, and how much of an effect does the holistic presentation have on a person's enjoyment and overall experience. When they started pulling out critiques in this video, as subdued as they were, it was so hard to register that it really reinforces the idea that Sony, their 1st party technology, and these game developers are just at the very peak of their craft. I was impressed by even the mistakes, or blemishes, not because they're there, but because of how much they accentuate what is done right. I mean, when the start of an analysis is determining flicker so you can ensure that you're actually watching something subject to real-time constraints, proving what you're seeing isn't being faked, you *know* you're gonna have a goddamn good time.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This engine blows m me away with every showing. Really impressive that KojiPro can utilize it so well and get a game up and out the door in a reasonable amount of time on Guerrilla's engine.

I can't even begin to imagine what Guerrilla will do with it on next-gen hardware. This at 60fps with more interaction and simulation with little to no loading would look and feel like an incredible leap.

Can't recall where I have read it but I believe Kojima productions has (or maybe had) a few people at Guerrilla for a while to get things up and running and also 'co-develop' on the engine.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't recall where I have read it but I believe Kojima productions has (or maybe had) a few people at Guerrilla for a while to get things up and running and also 'co-develop' on the engine.

IIRC, one of the main benefits of using Decima in the first place was that the codebase was one; Kojima Prod didn't fork it and work on their own stuff, per se, both Kojima Prod and GG were adding to the engine, and sharing everything with each other. So even if they had special on-site attention to get up and going, you're basically getting two team's worth of tech work moving forward from there, which might account for part of the insane speed of development on the tech side at least.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
IIRC, one of the main benefits of using Decima in the first place was that the codebase was one; Kojima Prod didn't fork it and work on their own stuff, per se, both Kojima Prod and GG were adding to the engine, and sharing everything with each other. So even if they had special on-site attention to get up and going, you're basically getting two team's worth of tech work moving forward from there, which might account for part of the insane speed of development on the tech side at least.

Ah yes, I remember reading that. Also, it's a good match because Kojima always had a big focus on the cinematic possibilities, which while decent, where a bit lacking in Horizon. I can imagine that being able to add specific features to an engine is a huge boon for a team (instead of 'working your way around them')

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the faces look, a bit plain compared to other games this gen idk how to describe it
I feel like people keep forgetting that they got the game to look like this despite it being a large open world game. There are multiple shots that just look phenomenal. I wouldn't even say they look bland. In every sense of the word the characters are convincing digital doubles.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
With that lighting and lack of sunshine, Would HDR be a waste in this game. Looks a well clean and detailed game.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was a small crew but still very impressive since they weren't in the studio with KojiPro

With that lighting and lack of sunshine, Would HDR be a waste in this game. Looks a well clean and detailed game.
Nah, the highlights from the tech glow will still add to it plus it'll have smoother detail in darky/grey areas.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Fluid physics were the most impressive to me out of the whole trailer, what a pity that they are like 99.9% baked.
I cannot wait when we'll get real-time gameplay water interactions like that.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So impressive what devs like KojiPro can achieve with the dated hardware on the PS4. Next gen is gonna be a sight to behold.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, didn't notice that detail with the baby's hand before. Only thing that concerns me right now re: DeSt is that we haven't seen any base PS4 footage yet, and I hope it'll be close to what they've shown so far

It's the most Kojima-esque shit and I'm here for it
whats there to be concerned about? all those graphical features will be on the base PS4 but at 1080p resolution.

i have been playing Pro games since its launch in 2016 and i cant think of a single graphical feature outside of resolution and framerate that is missing on the base PS4.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Monday evening and another brilliant video from Alex / DF, loving it! I like the vastly different approaches to designing a game on Decima - one aiming for that ultra realistic look while the other one is a beautiful fantasy title. DS and Horizon will absolutely end up as some of the best looking games of this gen regardless of their styles.