• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Are the trailing/ghosting artifacts in Death Stranding a common DLSS thing or is this something that can be fixed with future updates/iterations? I've only tried DLSS through GeforceNOW since I do not have a 20xx GPU so I don't know if the artifacts are just being amplified by the streaming nature of the service, but I definitely noticed them right away

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Does being an amd partnered game mean that game will not use dlss? Because if so, being an amd partnered game suddenly becomes a pretty big black spot against your PC version.

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the tech isn't available on next gen consoles. I'm guessing one big reason people are underwhelmed by next gen graphics is that native 4k eats a lot of the power budget available.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting notes about the "particle trails" there, I saw something similar in FF7R in the battle arena where Cloud creates really bad trails against the white floor, i thought it was a checkerboard issue but now I'm not so sure

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does being an amd partnered game mean that game will not use dlss? Because if so, being an amd partnered game suddenly becomes a pretty big black spot against your PC version.
yes. though there will be other ways to use AI-based upsampling that are agnostic

for anyone wanting to learn more about how DLSS works, here's Nvidia's presentation on it

DLSS2_1-scaled.jpg

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AA implementations have all been poor in my eyes. I'm glad there is an alternative.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Don't they all forget something important ? How much space do the tensor cores take on the Nvidia GPUs ?

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So frustrating it seems like we won't really get this for the upcoming consoles. A massive game changer for framerate potential that could really see a huge uptick in visuals over the next few years. Definitely good for the longer view, to PS6 or whatever that these techniques will be widespread and built in and constantly improve in their implementation.

I'm sure someone is working on something, not necessarily the same as Nvidia's method but something.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't they all forget something important ? How much space do the tensor cores take on the Nvidia GPUs ?
Not much for what they deliver in compute performance.

Are the trailing/ghosting artifacts in Death Stranding a common DLSS thing or is this something that can be fixed with future updates/iterations? I've only tried DLSS through GeforceNOW since I do not have a 20xx GPU so I don't know if the artifacts are just being amplified by the streaming nature of the service, but I definitely noticed them right away

Not common no, this is the first time I saw that effect in DLSS 2.0 games. Could probably be fixed.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
DLSS is just magic and it sucks that horizon might now have it. Every game needs this, the minor graphical glitches(artifacts) are worth playing pretty much every new game at over 100fps.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
So how do the first party studio upscaling techniques compare? I recall DF praising Insomniac and GG before.
DLSS is next gen upscaling, we don't know how other first party upscaling methods will work for the new consoles until the games come out. DF speculates that new solutions for the consoles won't be able to compete with DLSS.

Did DF ever run a comparison of Death Stranding running on a good pc from around the time PS4 came out to the PS4 version?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
yes. though there will be other ways to use AI-based upsampling that are agnostic

for anyone wanting to learn more about how DLSS works, here's Nvidia's presentation on it

DLSS2_1-scaled.jpg

Hopefully those other ai techniques are close in effectivity as dlss 2.0. it would suck if "partnered with amd" would end up meaning: "because of lack of dlss like option will run like junk compared to other games".

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Incredible tech.

Is it safe to assume that next-gen consoles won't have a DLSS 2.0 equivalent? Is this something that can be patched in, or is it a hardware limitation?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I guess consoles are a generation out from really taking advantage of this technology every time. Maybe a half gen if we see refreshes.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think I read something like 11% once? Having trouble finding good discussions on it.
Did DF ever run a comparison of Death Stranding running on a good pc from around the time PS4 came out to the PS4 version?

We sadly really cannot as the game does 2 things. First it arbitrarily restricts CPUs that do not have a certain instruction set that is used by the games DRM, so we cannot scale ultra low necessarily on the CPU (but intel works fine and will destroy the jaguar anyway, so that is not the interesting comparison).

GPU wise the game requires the ability to do partial resident textures tier 2 I believe in DX12, so it means you cannot run the game on older AMD and older NV GPUs. This usage of PRT for texture streaming is something they added to decima for the PC version of DS - it may not be in Horizon Zero dawn at all so that may work with older GPUs that came out in 2013. They basically upgraded Death Stranding on PC to used more advanced technology than the architectures available in 2013 had, PS4 included.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I still haven't seen any proof that DLSS is better than native 4k.
It's a slightly different image, sure. It often sharper (sometimes to the point of being over-sharpened and showing ringing artifacts),
But I don't see how it's better, especially in the general case.
Maybe it's just me and I have a very different definition of image quality and what's "better".

That said, I've been a huge proponent of DLSS since day one even in the original form, and it's by far the most interesting feature of Turing to me.
It being better than checkerboard rendering it's not very hard tho, it's a messy hack and I'm glad it died very quickly.
The pain it caused in its very short lifespan still causes PTSD to many rendering engineer.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
DLSS is the future. I'll need to upgrade my GPU during the next year, I'm using an AMD card atm but I'm so going with Nvidia just because of this.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the black trails behind cryptobiotes were an intended effect! I had no idea it was an artifact of DLSS.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
DLSS delivers some really great results.
Picture clarity has some gains, but that missing "flickering" in the distance is a huge improvement.
But that "trailing" does look bad, it completely messed up the floating particles, but that is a game specific case.

Well, i will wait and see in maybe 1 year if machine learning is a big thing on consoles.
I just hope i will never again see something like RDR2 on PS4pro, that was a mess.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Video kind of crushes the dream of DLSS for Switch 2, but I hope someone at Nintendo or Nvidia is adamant about the tech making its way to the platform in some form. It's such cool tech.
To be fair, the performance is judged based on current Turing Tensor cores, Amphere is rumored to boast significant performance gains on RT and Tensor.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read something like 11% once? Having trouble finding good discussions on it.

We sadly really cannot as the game does 2 things. First it arbitrarily restricts CPUs that do not have a certain instruction set that is used by the games DRM, so we cannot scale ultra low necessarily on the CPU (but intel works fine and will destroy the jaguar anyway, so that is not the interesting comparison).

GPU wise the game requires the ability to do partial resident textures tier 2 I believe in DX12, so it means you cannot run the game on older AMD and older NV GPUs. This usage of PRT for texture streaming is something they added to decima for the PC version of DS - it may not be in Horizon Zero dawn at all so that may work with older GPUs that came out in 2013. They basically upgraded Death Stranding on PC to used more advanced technology than the architectures available in 2013 had, PS4 included.
Thanks for the detailed response. That's a shame but makes sense after 7 years of tech advancement.

You and the team have been doing some great features recently. Thank you.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Huge shame that AMD and 9th gen consoles don't seem to have anything at the moment like this, I think we would have heard by now if they did, even the solution the MS was working on, I feel if that made it into the console they would have talked about it.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
So as an example, let's say you want to target 1080p.

DLSS basically runs the game lower (like 720p) and then uses advanced AI upscaling mumbo jumbo magic to make the game LOOK like 1080p.

And the cool thing these tests show is that DLSS will make the game look even better. So in my example, DLSS targeting 1080p will look better than running the game itself at 1080p.

The huge benefit is you're essentially running the game at 720p, so your fps will be higher than running at 1080p
So this will help weak graphic card work better?

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
I may be wrong about this, but I think it only works on the 20xx series cards and cards in the future

So yeah on the weakest card in that lineup (the RTX 2060) it'll work
Well, my laptop has rtx 2060, so by lowering the game to 720p (how I do that if my laptop screen is 1080p?) so i should get extra boost in performance.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow dlss is amazing. Kinda pissed that Cerny or AMD didn't have or think of something similar and now we're stuck with probably 7 years without this tech. I hope ps5 pro will have this tech added

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this will help weak graphic card work better?

Correct. That will prolong your cards life by a lot. DLSS 2.0 is also easy to implement and doesn't need the AI prerendering anymore so it's as easy as putting it into your engine (not that easy, but easy for such a feature)

Weak = Starting with a 2060