• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The latest Cyberpunk 2077 footage looks good - but curiously, the actual Gamescom 2019 demo looked even *better*. John and Alex reveal why, and talk in depth about their impressions of the demo and how DXR ray tracing features are implemented.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im really interested in that Sky light bounce thing? Imagine if they will do proper HDR

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured the public trailer was PS4 Pro footage but with some ray tracing implementations being in there that can't be the case at all. Wonder why they'd upload a decidedly worse looking demo compared to what they showed at Gamescom then.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the public trailer was PS4 Pro footage but with some ray tracing implementations being in there that can't be the case at all. Wonder why they'd upload a decidedly worse looking demo compared to what they showed at Gamescom then.

It would be an X at the very least since MS has marketing rights and all the prompts are Xbox prompts.

Dictator do you think there's a chance that the new 15 minute video is actually from an X1X or are there too many things going on?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dictator do you think there's a chance that the new 15 minute video is actually from an X1X or are there too many things going on?
I would not guess that - since there is official word it is RTX 2080Ti footage with RT on. But for some reason it is 1080p footage in a 4K file. I am not sure how or why CDPR released that instead of the ultra crisp 4K resolution footage we saw at Gamescom, but here we are.

It is also missing any of the areas and shots that make the graphics super obvious - RT features which look really nice look pretty hidden in this footage. None of the eye candy areas :(

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
That footage is not looking good at all from image quality perspective...

I would expect base consoles to provide that image quality. It's probably not an error from CDPR and they just setting expectations for those versions of the game early on to avoid backlash at release.

I mean... come on. It looks like 720-900p buffer + some taa on top and texture quality set to low.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I would not guess that - since there is official word it is RTX 2080Ti footage with RT on. But for some reason it is 1080p footage in a 4K file. I am not sure how or why CDPR released that instead of the ultra crisp 4K resolution footage we saw at Gamescom, but here we are.

It is also missing any of the areas and shots that make the graphics super obvious - RT features which look really nice look pretty hidden in this footage. None of the eye candy areas :(

Definitely unusual, but at least you explained why the demo looked.....off.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

In your professional opinion, how close to this new Deep Dive video do you think the Xbox One X version will be?

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
Even for 1080p I'm not too impressed by the IQ on display here. Very blurry and quite a bit of ghosting on top of that, we've seen much better on console this gen.
I'm kind of worried about what it will looks like on base PS4

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So since DF made a video explaining why the video quality doesn't look as good as previously, does this validate previous posters who said the video looked pretty bad compared to earlier clips?

I thought things looked a bit muddier, but I recognize that the content was in a darker, less colorful space.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Given that something like Control is running even on a 2080ti at 1080p with RTX, why is it particularly shocking that this would be 1080p? Is it just that the RTX isn't particularly intense in most of these scenes? Isn't it possible previous demos were just not a realistic look at what the game would actually require and demand, and as such, they could run things to look better? (I know the stream was listed at 4k, but that doesn't feel meaningful.)

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
So since DF made a video explaining why the video quality doesn't look as good as previously, does this validate previous posters who said the video looked pretty bad compared to earlier clips?

I thought things looked a bit muddier, but I recognize that the content was in a darker, less colorful space.
It validates all the people that were saying that you shouldn't judge the graphics based on poorly uploaded videos or streams.

Oct 26, 2017

That loss of quality was easily attributed to video compression. The people claiming for downgrade were implying the game was lesser in things like polygon count, textures, number of npcs, overall detail, etc.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
E3 2018 demo was also running at 1080p according to the devs and it was very crisp. The addition of RT effects and other expensive techniques like SSR and render to texture reflection makes me think this might be lower than 1080p at this unoptimized stage of development. But DF did pixel count so I don't know what's going on.

One thing is obvious, the graphical fidelity is not an issue with this demo. The amount of detail in the world in an urban setting will hugely benefit from base resolution which does not paint a good outlook for the base console versions. This same footage at native 4K would probably be quite amazing.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
E3 2018 demo was also running at 1080p according to the devs and it was very crisp. The addition of RT effects and other expensive techniques like SSR and render to texture reflection makes me think this might be lower than 1080p at this unoptimized stage of development. But DF did pixel count so I don't know what's going on.

One thing is obvious, the graphical fidelity is not an issue with this demo. The amount of detail in the world in an urban setting will hugely benefit from base resolution which does not paint a good outlook for the base console versions. This same footage at native 4K would probably be quite amazing.

You can also download a high bitrate version of last year's video, so I think a lot of people might just be remembering it without YouTube compression.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You can also download a high bitrate version of last year's video, so I think a lot of people might just be remembering it without YouTube compression.
Thats a 16gb download I dont think most people would have seen that. Even the youtube version, sharing the same overall bitrate as Deep dive demo, seems to not have this clarity issue.