• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Join Alex Battaglia for a comprehensive look back at 2008's Crysis Warhead. It's a game that attempts to address the many issues and critiques surrounding the classic Crysis - but for some reason, it lacks the prestige and presence of the original game. Today, it's all but forgotten... but why?

hey, that other Crysis 1 game!
  • first multi-studio game by Crytek, lead by Crytek Budapest
  • alien encounters were more like the first part of Crysis 1 (the part many people liked)
  • Crytek addressed user perception of performance by changing the names of the settings (minimum, mainstream, gamer, enthusiast)
  • Warhead's Enthusiast setting is higher than 1's Very High
  • AI was optimized to reduce CPU cost
  • 1 got the same GPU optimizations as Warhead as a patch
  • level design was changed to not have such long, sweeping views in order to lighten the load on the gpu
  • Warhead, at worse, runs significantly better than Crysis 1's worse and more even overall (much more stable at 60fps) on modern hardware
  • FROGS
  • WITH MOTION BLUR
  • and many other animal additions
  • ice shader has a subsurface-like effect
  • 1 and Warhead utilized voxels to generate the caves
  • Warhead has third person perspective cutscenes unlike the first person ones in 1
  • animation is worse than 1 due to budget
  • SSAO sucks due to the lack of direct lighting indoors
  • color grading makes the game look unnatural compared to the naturalistic look of 1

Last edited:

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I loved Crysis 1 to hell and back. When Warhead came out, I was burned out from playing Crysis 1 so much so I never played it. I hope Warhead gets rereleased so I can go play through it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
After having gone back and playing the game, I really think it has aged really well. Not just graphically, but its design goals for much of the combat and levels are still really well done - even if they are not as grand or awing as those in those first 5 levels in the original crysis.

The train level is particularly interesting, as it is linear, yet ends up being extremely different to many other games' concept of linear. You end up doing the same thing you do in many games, traveling on a train to a location till a cutscene plays while shooting enemies from the train, but the basic gameplay loop and wideness of that linearity makes it feel... really different. Rather unique.

I just had to make a video on it. :)

The ice shader is really impressive - I have yet to see many other games do anything similar.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Chances we get this included with the remastered version? Have Crytek made any mention of it?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Another argument for how people misunderstand Ultra and why it's damaging.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I never got to play this one would love if Crytek made it part of the Crysis Remaster

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Good video as usual Alex. How long does it take you to edit something like this?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Unfortunately the controller support or layout is not great, my pc hooked up to my tv now.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never played warhead. Crysis alone was good enough until crysis 2 was released

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember, and may still have, a sequence using the fixed timestep variable(?) to capture images of the hovercraft ice level because I thought it was that good. Though I only took it at 1280x720 and at 30 frames. The other time I used it was for the Crysis opening shot at 1920x1080, with both times still using an 8800 GTX and as a result of the popularity of exploding barrel videos. Any chance you will explore the Cryengine 2 editor that shipped with the game and associated barrel videos?

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who spent a huge part of his time from 2006-2012 in a Crysis Forum discussing mods, levels, configs and even making some levels myself its nice to see someone else finally understanding and communicating to a broader audience what makes this series so great beyond the graphics. The little tidbits about the internal stuff is also very nice!

I even have an signed poster from the Yerli Brothers, they invited mods and dedicated forum users for a play&ask Session one time to their studio in Frankfurt.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Good video as usual Alex. How long does it take you to edit something like this?
Oh gosh, this one took about... 5.5 hours to beat the game, then about 40+ hours on the script, pickup shots and Edit. I am honestly not sure on the number as I kinda just forget time in the middle editing or scripting - you find yourself thinking about it in the shower or before you Fall asleep!
As an aside that I find kinda funny...
It took me an hour to find the shot of the spiders on the Junge floor because I could not remember where it was in my B-Roll.

Making these vids can sometimes be intense!
removed that bullet point
Heh, thanks :)

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Awesome video, never played Warhead but I love deep dive discussions and analysis like this.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I always preferred Warhead to 1. Was fun having hungarian voice option too, very uncommon :)

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Oh gosh, this one took about... 5.5 hours to beat the game, then about 40+ hours on the script, pickup shots and Edit. I am honestly not sure on the number as I kinda just forget time in the middle editing or scripting - you find yourself thinking about it in the shower or before you Fall asleep!
As an aside that I find kinda funny...
It took me an hour to find the shot of the spiders on the Junge floor because I could not remember where it was in my B-Roll.

Making these vids can sometimes be intense!

Thanks, I was just curious because I used to do video reviews about 10 years ago (like 5-7 minutes each), and they would take me all day. And to see if I can still do it, I just made a 13 minute retrospective on Red Steel, and it took me like 4 nights worth of work. I have all the respect in the world for you guys regularly putting out 15+ minute videos. It's insane.

And that sucks about the spiders! Finding one specific shot in hours of footage can be maddening.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Thanks, I was just curious because I used to do video reviews about 10 years ago (like 5-7 minutes each), and they would take me all day. And to see if I can still do it, I just made a 13 minute retrospective on Red Steel, and it took me like 4 nights worth of work. I have all the respect in the world for you guys regularly putting out 15+ minute videos. It's insane.

And that sucks about the spiders! Finding one specific shot in hours of footage can be maddening.
Send me a link to the vid if you can, i would be really interested to watch it!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Literally just moved on to playing this after playing Crysis and being a bit eh at the last third.

One thing that annoys me though, whats with the controller bindings not having a fucking prone option. How lame.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Really good and informative video again. It's gonna suck now if the remaster doesn't include this game.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
The train level is particularly interesting, as it is linear, yet ends up being extremely different to many other games' concept of linear. You end up doing the same thing you do in many games, traveling on a train to a location till a cutscene plays while shooting enemies from the train, but the basic gameplay loop and wideness of that linearity makes it feel... really different. Rather unique.

I just had to make a video on it. :)

Excellent level and actually neutered the Uncharted effort for me a year later.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I quite liked Warhead and would rather play it today than 2 or 3.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Great vid. Alex SGSSAA applies to the entire scene, thats why its so expensive. You can just use the TRSSAA option in nvidia control panel to apply it only to transparencies and its much more performant. It works in any game that supports msaa. Its API agnostic. You can also use a lower level than your MSAA level if you need to spare performance.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished Warhead, it's the only Crysis that never hooked me.

But it's super interesting how they optimized the engine without real compromises, just being smarter. Awesome video Dictator

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
I remember Warhead being same or even harder than base game on my pc back in the day (athlon 4400+, Geforce 9800gt, 2gb Ram, some old terrible hard drive) so maybe the comunicating quality presets as they were in Warhead did not work on me very well...