• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 20, 2019
So, it's consoles fault instead of Crytek? That's the problem when you put someone who idolizes Crytek and visits them to make this kind of video. Alex feels pressured to not criticize too much the studio. How this game is not optimized for multiple cpu cores is beyond me. That's consoles fault too? I thought they used multicore cpus...
lol wut, he literally pointed out a lot of flaws.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
At some point the devs need to take the heat for this, I mean I don't know if "optimized" is the right word but there is a complete lack of it over the course of 13 years. Hardware simply shouldn't be an excuse anymore.
Multi threading vs single threading is def a massive undertaking. I get it but damn this is the title that needed that kind of love. Look up the pros and cons of SMT. It has massive benefit the def need to design a game around it. Def would've been an overhaul.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
At some point the devs need to take the heat for this, I mean I don't know if "optimized" is the right word but there is a complete lack of it over the course of 13 years. Hardware simply shouldn't be an excuse anymore.
Maybe it's just me, but calling the highest settings "Can It Run Crysis?" also just sounds pretentious. Especially when it still ends up falling short in some departments compared to classic Crysis

Oct 27, 2017
Multi threading vs single threading is def a massive undertaking. I get it but damn this is the title that needed that kind of love. Look up the pros and cons of SMT. It has massive benefit the def need to design a game around it. Def would've been an overhaul.
I'm definitely not saying that it's an easy undertaking but while the excuse was much more valid in 2007 it just doesn't work for me here in 2020 with the likes of a i9-10900K combined with a RTX 3080 out there. If the work wasn't going to be done (or couldn't be done) to get the CPU optimization up to speed for multi-cores then the effort is almost pointless as while the game still looks good and some of the Remastered visuals (RTX, increased texture res, etc) look better it simply doesn't have the visual splendor of a game you would expect it to given that it performs as badly as it does.

I have the game running pretty good with RTX set to high (could be my current level in the game too as it's obviously inconsistent) but, again, we should be able to finally get close to maxing this game out with great performance and that's simply not the case....unfortunately not even close.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm definitely not saying that it's an easy undertaking but while the excuse was much more valid in 2007 it just doesn't work for me here in 2020 with the likes of a i9-10900K combined with a RTX 3080 out there. If the work wasn't going to be done (or couldn't be done) to get the CPU optimization up to speed for multi-cores then the effort is almost pointless as while the game still looks good and some of the Remastered visuals (RTX, increased texture res, etc) look better it simply doesn't have the visual splendor of a game performing as badly as it does.

I have the game running pretty good with RTX set to high (could be my current level in the game too as it's obviously inconsistent) but, again, we should be able to finally get close to maxing this game out with great performance and that's simply not the case....unfortunately not even close.
Oh I agree. Kind of absurd they didn't make the game not hampered by single threading the game.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Maybe it's just me, but calling the highest settings "Can It Run Crysis?" also just sounds pretentious. Especially when it still ends up falling short in some departments compared to classic Crysis
It must have been a marketing/Crytek decision because there's no way the team at Saber Interactive didn't know the original Crysis was CPU bound, and they had to know it would still be an issue. Then again, there are still people who think they can run Crysis at a perfect 60 FPS.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm genuinely surprised the game's backend wasn't ported to Vulkan or DX12. Doesn't CE5 support both?

Welp, I guess we'll just have to accept radio silence and intermittent updates from Crytek/Saber. Crysis Remastered should have been an easy slam dunk to generate sales and revitalize interest in an established ip. It really annoys me that Crytek doesn't really care enough about the title that really put their studio on map. Honestly, the fact that the PC version of the remaster wasn't handled completely internally should have been a red flag from the start. Props to Saber though for achieving what they have under tight timeline constraints.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
And younger people will look at that and think we were crazy to have thought Crysis was a thing of beauty.
10fps folliage physics and no wind sheer when something explodes, no piece by piece destruction, no incredible clouds at the beginning etc.. that's a hard pass for me.
I'd rather play the original.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
On the downgraded physics, I just noticed that vehicles don't seem to affect a lot of the vegetation anymore. You just clip through plants now. VTOLs also do not push back trees and shrubs anymore when they get close to the ground. Though I guess that falls under the same category as shockwaves missing from grenades. Grass is also not animated for some reason in this map (Onslaught) in the remaster.

(At least the lighting and draw distance is nice here in comparison)

Another thing is I can't get over how long it takes to load levels. Loading my current Onslaught map checkpoint, compared to the original version at the same spot:

Remastered installed on a PCIe 4.0 SSD: 45 seconds (plus an additional 5 seconds I guess since it stutters like crazy on initial load)
OG installed on a HDD: 20 seconds
OG installed on a standard SATA3 SSD: 10 seconds

My 7200RPM HDD is loading the original game twice as fast as the remastered version installed on a 5Gbps SSD!

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
On the downgraded physics, I just noticed that vehicles don't seem to affect a lot of the vegetation anymore. You just clip through plants now. VTOLs also do not push back trees and shrubs anymore when they get close to the ground. Though I guess that falls under the same category as shockwaves missing from grenades. Grass is also not animated for some reason in this map (Onslaught) in the remaster.

(At least the lighting and draw distance is nice here in comparison)

Another thing is I can't get over how long it takes to load levels. Loading my current Onslaught map checkpoint, compared to the original version at the same spot:

Remastered installed on a PCIe 4.0 SSD: 45 seconds (plus an additional 5 seconds I guess since it stutters like crazy on initial load)
OG installed on a HDD: 20 seconds
OG installed on a standard SATA3 SSD: 10 seconds

My 7200RPM HDD is loading the original game twice as fast as the remastered version installed on a 5Gbps SSD!

The time to load a level on top of the inability to manually save the game irked my comparison work for video greatuly. In Crysis 1, I can just load up and save anywhere at any time and do it so quickly. Larger comparisons required me to make sure I grabbed some arbitrary checkpoint and moved my camera into a position right before the checkpoint happened so I could reload the view point consistently... and waiting for it to load which is just as slow on my 10900K machine here as it is for you.
Crysis 1 loads in like 10 seconds here othewise.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The time to load a level on top of the inability to manually save the game irked my comparison work for video greatuly. In Crysis 1, I can just load up and save anywhere at any time and do it so quickly. Larger comparisons required me to make sure I grabbed some arbitrary checkpoint and moved my camera into a position right before the checkpoint happened so I could reload the view point consistently... and waiting for it to load which is just as slow on my 10900K machine here as it is for you.
Crysis 1 loads in like 10 seconds here othewise.
I can only imagine. I've been jumping back and forth myself between remastered and classic Crysis because I find it fascinating to see the differences between the 2 and those loading times in Crysis Remastered are starting to get to me lol. Reloading a level also sucks because I risk losing my current checkpoint.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed a new patch dropped. Seems to be good progress, I don't get that much stuttering anymore with raytracing enabled. The also fixed strength mode where your jumps and melee attacks are upgraded automatically, so no need to hold the button down anymore (no more jump input delay) and they brought back leaning.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
The original version has it's own set of problems though. In DX10, the game locks on to 50 hz for me until I start randomly alt tabbing until it fixes itself. Problem is this seems to make it run in borderless fullscreen, where I lose gsync. DX9 doesn't have this issue, but some forced DX10 effects look broken in DX9 (object motion blur). I was hoping for all these issues to be fixed with the remaster, which it does but it also brings with it all the negatives we are seeing now :(
Turning off full-screen optimization in the shortcut properties fixed this for me, I think

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Here's another comparison that quickly shows the difference in vegetation physics between remastered and classic. I really hope a future patch addresses this:

It's interesting how in the remastered version of this level, it seems like they decided to just ramp up the trees swaying around while classic animates normally. Was it to cover the missing shockwave effect?

Turning off full-screen optimization in the shortcut properties fixed this for me, I think
Huh, that actually seems to fix my dx10 problem. Thanks!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been getting pretty good post launch support and performance has improved quite a bit in the latest patch:

26085825929l.jpg

www.overclock3d.net

Crysis Remastered Performance Transformed - Patch 1.3.0 Delivers Huge Performance Gains - OC3D

Crysis Remastered Performance Transformed – Patch 1.3.0 Delivers Huge Gains When Crysis Remastered launched in September, a lot of people were disappointed. While the game looked great at its highest settings, there were some clear downgrades over the game’s original PC incarnation. Beyond...