• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I swear this mod looks better than the remaster

Wow, it looks far better, and preserves the original look, which has been trashed by some terrible art and tech choices. This remaster is a shit show and I'm so glad I didn't simply jump in, which I might have if it wasn't so overpriced. I'm going to reinstall the original, mod it and give the middle finger to this piece of crap.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd maybe pick this up at 20. As is, it's not worth it. It's not up to the quality standard it's namesake demands. If they do the work to get it on par with the original with regards to the stuff pointed out in the video I would reconsider, but this... just isn't good enough.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Removing volumetrics, reducing physics and screwing up sub surface scattering is very disappointing. Still being so single threaded is blasphemy.

On the other hand the textures, ray tracing and SVOGI look great. I guess throw Crysis onto to list of games that will never have a definitive version.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Saber has done some impressive port jobs so I had really high hope but it looks like a lot of compromise was made regarding the base version. What a shame, let's hope they can pull off some fixes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No lean is an odd choice indeed. The buttons are there on PC. Why is it out?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Great video Alex! But you unsold me on this. I was so excited for it. Damn.

How did they make these clearly obvious mistakes.... The new benefits don't overcome the downsides..

Its probably not fixable given what he is saying in this video.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Great video Alex! But you unsold me on this. I was so excited for it. Damn.

How did they make these clearly obvious mistakes.... The new benefits don't overcome the downsides..

Its probably not fixable given what he is saying in this video.

I totally agree with this not being a fixable release. I can have all the faith in the world in modders but I don't see them getting past fundamental issues with the engine.

I played for an hour and refunded. What a shame! I say this as a huge Crysis fan.

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
So, it's consoles fault instead of Crytek? That's the problem when you put someone who idolizes Crytek and visits them to make this kind of video. Alex feels pressured to not criticize too much the studio. How this game is not optimized for multiple cpu cores is beyond me. That's consoles fault too? I thought they used multicore cpus...

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know why crytek took xbox 360 game base instead of original pc as a base to do remaster?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So, it's consoles fault instead of Crytek? That's the problem when you put someone who idolizes Crytek and visits them to make this kind of video. Alex feels pressured to not criticize too much the studio. How this game is not optimized for multiple cpu cores is beyond me. That's consoles fault too? I thought they used multicore cpus...
I thought I was rather critical and pointed out a lot if not all of the large issues.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck are you talking about? he didnt say anything about it being consoles fault. the remaster is based on the old ports, thats all.

I thought I was rather critical and pointed out a lot if not all of the large issues.
yeah you were. no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

what a bizarre take

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a shame. Any time someone brought up that some aspect didn't look very good, my usual response was just "don't care, just give me proper CPU optimization and I'm in", but I didn't even get that. :(

Guess I'll just stick with the original trilogy + Warhead.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this, weird to see so much technical debt being inherited from the 360/PS3 build. I might not have been keeping track during active development but I thought this would be built on the basis of the original PC version, not the console version with PC things imported in.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You were, pretty much everything was there. I noticed the crouch issue, it was really pissing me off, I didnt realise it was caused by what you said.

Did you notice a change in enemy AI? Kind of stuck out to me, enemies further away seemed to not react to stuff happening where you were (enemies that did in the original), while also being a bit simple in their movements. Most of the time they just ......... ran away.

Also felt like the weapon recoil has changed. Felt like they were now lasers when ADS, and a really tight spread when fired from the hip at short to mid range.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

What are you even talking about? He specifically mentions how all they had to do was look at the original crysis side by side with this one to find the flaws. He also talks about how they used the console version as the base instead of the original crysis.

shut up about the idolizing crytek bs. He wasnt doing that at all. He had legit concerns and critiques.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Wow, it looks far better, and preserves the original look, which has been trashed by some terrible art and tech choices. This remaster is a shit show and I'm so glad I didn't simply jump in, which I might have if it wasn't so overpriced. I'm going to reinstall the original, mod it and give the middle finger to this piece of crap.
Honestly, you're not wrong.

Holy shit. I'll just install this instead of the remaster. A real shame. I get why they went with the 360/PS3 version as a base, but nah fam.

Yup, get the base game cheaper and get this mod for free = better experience than the remaster imo.

Wait, this also has global illumination?

Yup.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do we know why crytek took xbox 360 game base instead of original pc as a base to do remaster?
Because Crysis on PC is an older codebase built on CryEngine 2 and Crysis on consoles is newer and built in CryEngine 3. Easier to implement the tools from the newer versions of CryEngine, multicore CPU support is already there, etc.

What the hell at the dishonesty present here, comparing the "Can it run Crysis" lod setting in the remaster with mods of the original game in Very High is ridiculous when Medium offers basically the same detail as Very High in the original while running much, much better.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
I cant believe the 2007 base game is superior than this remastered version. The gun sounds are worse and there isnt even LEANING?! Even the 2007 game had leaning.

Oct 28, 2017
The absence of those clouds at the game's initial airdrop intro in the remastered itself tells a lot, because that sequence in the original till after the music kicks was impressive (and is* still impressive till now), too bad Remastered does not have it.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it being based on the Xbox 360 version of Crysis seems to be one of the key cause of many of the downsides,
it's a shame that they didn't go all in and worked with the PC code primarily

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

4k Crysis Remastered vs Enhanced Edition comparison - In-Depth visual Analysis

4k Crysis Remastered vs Enhanced Edition comparison - In-Depth visual Analysis-------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Mod looks better and gives better FPS...

not a complete win for the mod imo, the general outdoor lighting and shadowing is much better in the remaster and that's very apparent in the jungle scene. remaster has more natural shading which gives the vegetation proper depth where the mod just looks like a cheap looking ao solution applied everywhere (and also too much of it)

still though a paid remaster should not be losing out to a free mod in any category, the delay didn't do too much to improve the final product as expected

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
damn It really seems like the Old Consoles Fucked over this port. I dont understand how they didnt use the PC Version Instead.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
www.youtube.com

4k Crysis Remastered vs Enhanced Edition comparison - In-Depth visual Analysis

4k Crysis Remastered vs Enhanced Edition comparison - In-Depth visual Analysis-------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Mod looks better and gives better FPS...

And better frame rate? Wouldn't all those effects be more hardware intensive? Are the modders about to do something about the lack of multi-threading? Sounds impossible for a mod.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
damn It really seems like the Old Consoles Fucked over this port. I dont understand how they didnt use the PC Version Instead.

The easiest assumption to make is time constraints. It's probably a much quicker process to port CE3 assets and code to CE5 than it would be to port CE2 assets.

I'm personally curious if Saber had any real say in what version of the game they could even use as a base?

It's just hard for me to believe that the lack of the ascension level is due to Crytek not liking it, and more so to do with the fact that it's just missing from the console version being used as a base for the remaster.

Hopefully this remaster, and fan response, will motivate Crytek to redo remaster properly like how Konami redid the Zone of the Enders Remaster.

The real question i have is how dedicated is Crytek to getting this version of the game right (sans refusing to re implement the Ascension level)?

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The easiest assumption to make is time constraints. It's probably a much quicker process to port CE3 assets and code to CE5 than it would be to port CE3 assets.

I'm personally curious if Saber had any real say in what version of the game they could even use as a base?

It's just hard for me to believe that the lack of the ascension level is due to Crytek not liking it, and more so to do with the fact that it's just missing from the console version being used as a base for the remaster.

Hopefully this remaster, and fan response, will motivate Crytek to redo remaster properly like how Konami redid the Zone of the Enders Remaster.

The real question i have is how dedicated is Crytek to getting this version of the game right (sans refusing to re implement the Ascension level)?
yeah because seeing how poorly it still runs on CPUs and doesnt take advantage of hyperthreading definitely says time constraints and that CPU piece alone would be a total overhaul

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The most disapointing thing is the whole single thread CPU utilization

It was my most wanted thing. What they really couldnt fuck up.

And yet, they did fuck up. What a waste.

It was the most important aspect to get right in order to renovate this game

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The most disapointing thing is the whole single thread CPU utilization

It was my most wanted thing. What they really couldnt fuck up.

And yet, they did fuck up. What a waste.

It was the most important aspect to get right in order to renovate this game
You would think that in 2020 they would fix that. 2007 I can somewhat understand but no excuse here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Detailed. Interesting. Firm but fair.

Glad I didn't pre-order this. When they make further improvements I'll jump in. For now, it's a wait and see.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
You were, pretty much everything was there. I noticed the crouch issue, it was really pissing me off, I didnt realise it was caused by what you said.

Did you notice a change in enemy AI? Kind of stuck out to me, enemies further away seemed to not react to stuff happening where you were (enemies that did in the original), while also being a bit simple in their movements. Most of the time they just ......... ran away.

Also felt like the weapon recoil has changed. Felt like they were now lasers when ADS, and a really tight spread when fired from the hip at short to mid range.
There were several instances where the AI would just stand right in front of me doing nothing. Maybe it's a trait from the old console ports?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
You did an excellent job of honestly identifying issues without being unduly critical or apologetic.

The post you're replying to is the typical nonsense you inevitably get in DF threads. Ignore it; it has no relevance or value.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The game is still CPU bound?

AAstFu6.gif

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Just got done watching the video, looks amazing with Ray tracing on. Is this version the same as the console version?

Or is it the PC version remastered?