• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I will say I don't mind the change to how speed mode works. I always thought it depleted way too quickly in the original game. To the point that I wished I could mod it to make it more like the 360 version once I played that. 🤣

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yikes. I was looking forward to re-visiting this game as I haven't played it since launch, but I think I'll pass. Building off the console versions is understandable from a time/cost standpoint, but the end result really suffers as a result.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting tired of remasters of games I love being inferior in at least a few ways to the original.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Something's up with those measurements. He says he can't get over 85fps on the original because of CPU? I can get 110-120fps on a stock 9700K...

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just talk about how the highest graphics setting is called "Can It Run Crysis" for just a sec though? Because that is some straight up genius level memery right there.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I see where some parts really pick up like they said, the overall landscape with a high view distance looks a lot better. It's an incredible let down that they chose to use a console version as the foundation for this remaster. It clearly held back this remaster from its true potential.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
What a mess, glad I didn't buy it, I highly doubt that subsequent patches are gonna improve anything considering that some fundamental things are broken, I can't believe they have low framerate animations for vegetation that wasn't present in the original, so much shit missing, damn I was looking forward to this, but this seems like a half assed job.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I'm fine with it using the console version as a base and building up from there. However, with that I expected the game to be properly multi-threaded, which it clearly is not.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I thought the console version was ported to cryengine 2, how can ps3 gen even run the game on a single core. Or 360 even.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Something's up with those measurements. He says he can't get over 85fps on the original because of CPU? I can get 110-120fps on a stock 9700K...
Oh believe me they are correct, you just need enough AI activation!
I will say I don't mind the change to how speed mode works. I always thought it depleted way too quickly in the original game. To the point that I wished I could mod it to make it more like the 360 version once I played that. 🤣
Same - the speed change is welcome and makes it much more useful on higher difficulties.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Luckily already had a coupon on Epic so only paid $18 cndn, otherwise would be more salty. But I was expecting 60fps medium on my 1660/9400F at 1440p, where I can't maintain 60fps low at 1080p. Yikes.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, and regarding the original Crysis, you might want to use this performance fix for Ascension ;)

www.moddb.com

Ascension Performance Fix file - Crysis

This patch solves a strange performance problem of Ascension level that has been troubling people since the launch of Crysis. Place zz_AscensionPerformanceFix.pak in Crysis/Game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Oh believe me they are correct, you just need enough AI activation!
Okay, that makes sense. I knew I was getting higher than that before, and jumped back into the game just now and saw it well over 100 pretty much constantly. I'm still near the beginning of the game, I only started replaying it recently.

Nice to know the INI tricks still work. I uh.. had a couple of cheats going.. lol.

Still not a huge fan of the oversaturated look. I wonder how much of that is SVOGI turning around and dumping even more green onto the jungle environments? I don't know, there's just something about the way the original game looks, even if it's technically inferior to this one.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So all the issues I can see mostly stem from the 360/PS3 port. What a shame they couldn't reverse all of them :/
I wonder if they will ever add in proper Mod support. Would love to port Rainy Days/Wreckage some day lol (these are 2 pretty big Singleplayer Mods I worked on back in the day)

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I hate what they did to the palm trees. I loved the way they looked when you land at the beach at night at the beginning. And the flares interacting with the smoke... gone :(

Oct 29, 2017
Haha love the bit with the speech bubbles. The intro was also fantastic. Great video.

Shame about the broken skin shaders and other things that carried over from the previous console port.

edit: I really don't like some of the color changes, especially the glowing structures inside the alien spaceship, the yellow is way too saturated there, it was so cinematic in the original i would just stop playing and stare at them; same with the yellow on the nanosuit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
An old svogi like me remembers the original not exactly optimized on PC either. But some of those lighting changes, and the faces, the changes in controls, oh well.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
...Guess I'll stick with the original on Origin.
The original version has it's own set of problems though. In DX10, the game locks on to 50 hz for me until I start randomly alt tabbing until it fixes itself. Problem is this seems to make it run in borderless fullscreen, where I lose gsync. DX9 doesn't have this issue, but some forced DX10 effects look broken in DX9 (object motion blur). I was hoping for all these issues to be fixed with the remaster, which it does but it also brings with it all the negatives we are seeing now :(

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The original version has it's own set of problems though. In DX10, the game locks on to 50 hz for me until I start randomly alt tabbing until it fixes itself. Problem is this seems to make it run in borderless fullscreen, where I lose gsync. DX9 doesn't have this issue, but some forced DX10 effects look broken in DX9 (object motion blur). I was hoping for all these issues to be fixed with the remaster, which it does but it also brings with it all the negatives we are seeing now :(
It had it through like four or five different "modes" today (on the OG game) when I was doing that quick test.

First, it loaded full screen, but with horrific tearing (Gsync monitor, so in-game vsync is disabled).
Then, it was borderless windowed, but behind the Windows taskbar.
Then, it was normal windowed, so it had its own title bar at the top, and the Windows taskbar was back.
Somewhere in there was another one where it started tearing again.
Then, it was full screen again without tearing, but despite RTSS showing 130+ fps, it was running horribly, maybe in the 20s.
Then, finally, it snapped to full screen, with Gsync, at 100+fps.

And then I quit because I only wanted to see what my framerate was, so I'll have to do it all again when I go back to play some more.. lol.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it has problems, but at least it's not like the remaster which has even more problems it seems.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. Went into depth on the very real positives, negatives, and why certain choices were made. I hope they can patch some of the issues (and am still holding out some hope for a PS5 update)

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I swear this mod looks better than the remaster

And the best part is, no cut content and lean is still in the game.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
These are small things compared to all the other problems, but I really wish they would patch the classic suit controls to be more like the original, with the weapon modification icon included:

cYWbGso.jpg

After playing the original so many times in the past (and now recently again), I've gotten so used to the icons being in the corners and accessing weapon options through this that the remaster now feels wrong to me lol. They should also fix some the UI problems in the remaster. Selected UI color doesn't even change in game, making it a pointless option. You also can't seem to change vegetation quality when using a controller (the option isn't selectable) and I see that they kept the unusable resolution selector dropdown from the original where it doesn't scroll down properly with a controller unless you use a mouse.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Awesome video!! Yeah its interesting how some of the art assets just don't translate well into the new engine. Pretty much all signs point to this needing to have been more of a remake instead of a remaster. I doubt the original pc codebase would fare much better in the new cryengine.

Its just a shame they didnt have more resources to dedicate, the legacy in terms of real-time engine tech and wide linear design is monumental. This game deserved more :(

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Welp....i was kinda interested in finally playing this as a previously console only gamer who has migrated to PC

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
BTW, and regarding the original Crysis, you might want to use this performance fix for Ascension ;)

www.moddb.com

Ascension Performance Fix file - Crysis

This patch solves a strange performance problem of Ascension level that has been troubling people since the launch of Crysis. Place zz_AscensionPerformanceFix.pak in Crysis/Game.

You don't need that because it's not in the game.

I can't believe that I am saying this but just give Crysis to Activision so they can do proper remake.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
All I ever would have hoped for/expected from a Crysis remaster is CPU optimization so the game could finally run smoothly on modern hardware. That's literally it. So disappointed we couldn't get there, plus the regression in other capacities just makes it even worse.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the awesome video! Since I still had the Epic coupon I decided to drop the 20€ before it goes to waste and for that price I don't mind it. With the recommended settings on Medium I can play it quite well on my GTX 1070 / 8600k combo @ 1080p 47-144hz G-Sync.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Honestly if I told myself 13 years ago that an updated re-release will be, partially, a side grade at best in some aspects, I guess I would have believed myself since back then I truly couldn't believe games would look any better.

But anyway, things that really wowed me in 2007 like the vegetation interaction, physics and volumetric lighting being worse in a 2020 remaster is disheartening to say the least, especially with a game that even in this remaster acknowledges its own position as PC benchmark.

Oct 28, 2017
Great content as always!
Time to find my Crysis Maximum Edition I got for like 10 euros from Tesco some years ago.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a lot of wasted potential and I'm sounding like a hung recorder:
Crysis Remastered hitting sub thirty fps on extreme settings is okay. The game hitting sub thirty because high end GPUs (from two years ago) are only seeing 50% utilization, because high end CPUs are only seeing 10-20% total utilization: That's exactly what we all hoped would no longer happen.

I could even overlook the other problems a bit and hope for a patch. But what makes things worse is them going for extra cash through terrible PC store exclusivity and than not even having the guts to delay the PC version to fix some of the problems like physics interactions or certain actions being unresponsive.

n4g.com

Crytek didn't want fans to wait any longer for Crysis Remastered

Crysis Remastered is one of the most anticipated, but also the most controversial remasters of this year. The iconic action game pushed the technological boundaries back in 2007 and its graphics looks good even today.

Yeah, "sure, Jan"