• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
I never played Crysis (not that I could have on my PC), and this looks pretty good, so what.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Digital Foundry: Crysis is an impressive port to the Switch
ResetEra: Looks bad guys

Joking aside, I'm honestly shocked that some are so heartbroken over the exclusion of that awful Ascension mission. Ascension and when you are floating around in the alien ship are easily the worst missions in the game. Would it be nice to include it? Sure I guess. Am I upset over it being excluded? Hell no.

Last edited:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the foundation that this port comes from makes me think people are gonna be none-too-happy about the eventual PC release unless Crytek really pulls a homerun with those few weeks of delay.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the foundation that this port comes from makes me think people are gonna be none-too-happy about the eventual PC release unless Crytek really pulls a homerun with those few weeks of delay.
there's nothing a few weeks can change about that. they can't just add back the VTOL section or anything. maybe throw in some extra lighting feature, but it'll still be the 360/PS3 version as the base

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It is using a different CryEngine version due to rendering and background features, but the overhwleming majority of assets, level placement for things and even the bugs (the flashlight bug on level 1) are all from the PS360 versions.
Are the interiors still as sparse as they were on the PS360 version? At least I'm glad to hear foliage has been restored.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame about the stuttering, but I think I'm going to pick this up.

It looks really impressive for a portable FPS.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has never played the game, how big of a deal is Ascension not being present?

Second worse level in the game. Plays like it was designed by someone who's never played a video game. The controls are frustratingly slow to respond. Also runs like crap on PC. A cluster fuck of a level. Not having it is a good thing.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I had a feeling it was based on the 360 version (I was told on here that was a ridiculous suggestion, lol). Wonder if the other versions are too, or if they only did it for Switch due to the more comparable hardware power. Would explain the difference in release dates and the Switch version not looking much like the leaked trailer for the other ones.

Seems like some decent upgrades over the old console version. Shame the game doesn't have Warhead remastered, I don't think Crysis is actually that great a game. Warhead is the one that delivered really good gameplay imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty decent from what I've seen so far. The global illumination is nice. Wish it had the full content, but I've got a feeling we'll never see that on any new version.

Youtube compression is rough on this video though. Compression artifacts everywhere. For some reason it looked especially bad on the PS3 footage. Had to switch to the patreon download version.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great for Switch, but if the PC version doesn't have the original suit mode switching and is missing any geometry, features, or levels, the backlash will be vicious. I don't envy the development team right now.

Extremely - absurdly taxing.

It's also not very fun. šŸ¤£

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I can't imagine the people complaining in this thread, are people that ACTUALLY played the original PC release.

VTOL section is an abomination and its exclusion automatically gives the switch a +1 in the shines department.

This looks like a very nice port.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
Is IBL dynamic or static? It's not consistent with the environment/ToD at all in some scenes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Looks like a very good port with some manageable caveats. Hopefully they'll keep polishing it, but it's definitely impressive on the Switch. The little machine is capable of some really interesting things.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the video. This impresses me more than the Witcher 3 or Wolf: Youngblood ports cause I played Crysis 1 back in the day @ 10-30fps. It was next gen. They mythical nature of that release was earned. Great DF video as always.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I can't imagine the people complaining in this thread, are people that ACTUALLY played the original PC release.

VTOL section is an abomination and its exclusion automatically gives the switch a +1 in the shines department.

This looks like a very nice port.

yea this port is crazy considering it's on a portable machine. I played the original on my pc back in 2010 and I don't remember anything about the vtol mission lol

Apr 9, 2019
We want to see Johns Power Rangers style transformation now that he has obtained the power of the Crysis Shrine!

OT: It will be interesting to compare this to the upcoming Doom Eternal port. Very different starting points obviously. This looks very sharp in handheld, something that the id Tech ports have been missing thus far.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Full resolution and SVOGI is pretty impressive. I wonder if the work done here for the Switch version can be scaled up for a next-gen/pc remaster with the best of both worlds.

Edit: Oh that's actually happened for current gen already. Shows how in the loop I am

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full resolution and SVOGI is pretty impressive. I wonder if the work done here for the Switch version can be scaled up for a next-gen/pc remaster with the best of both worlds.
this remaster was already coming to PC. Xbox/PS4/PC versions got delayed, but the switch version didn't

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The shadows, lightning and vegetation alone make the game look way better than the last gen Crysis games on the PS360. Also are the levels chopped up or is it the full fat PC levels minus that taxing level?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion: I liked Ascension lol it ran like shit on my 260GTX (216 shader model), but it looked so good!

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good to me. I'll play on Lite which mitigates a lot of the resolution concerns. Graphically I'm impressed. I loved Switcher 3 despite a lot of naysaying so I think I'll be food here too. I'm one of those who enjoyed the 360 port too, and played it on a high end PC too so I've had all the experiences.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
What's going on at 00:52 in the video? Is that a really dramatic lighting change or did they change which character is featured in that scene?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can maybe think of why the volumetric lightning was reworked was due to potential seizures issues (and was likely taken into consideration for even the old console release). When it was shown off it in an earlier part of the video, it gave me a bit of a headache and hurt my eyes (due to the fact I've been developing photo-sensitivity as I've gotten older).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
What's going on at 00:52 in the video? Is that a really dramatic lighting change or did they change which character is featured in that scene?
I think what's happening is that the PS360 version changed the character model to better gel with the incredibly blue tone mapping (I guess BF3 was a big deal at the time). Now the Switch version has completely revamped the lighting, but they're still using the same assets. I'm betting the blue model is also lower poly in addition to the color changes, so it makes sense to use it for the Switch port.

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
I wonder if they'll be able to hit 60fps on the enhanced PS4/Xbox One consoles or even the base ones