• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

It's been nine long years since the last console release for Crysis. The new remastered edition is finally here - and surprisingly, it's launching first on Nintendo Switch. In this detailed tech review, John Linneman assesses the Switch port up against the PC and last-gen console versions - and discusses how this port is important and why Crysis is still such a remarkable game.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to years' worth of pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://teespring.com/en-GB/stores/di...

-

Written Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Crysis Remastered on Switch: yes, a handheld really can run Crysis

Can it run Crysis? It's been 13 years since Crytek's epoch-making release hit the market - and in some respects it's st…

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not surprised to see it dip in FPS, but man that does look good on a switch.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- Ascension mission has been cut.
- Dynamic resolution w/ temporal up-scaling: 1280x720p is the average but can go lower at 540p or so.
- Portable mode: capped to 720p when portable.
- Portable cuts back shadow quality compared to dock, otherwise mostly similar.

- Lighting tweaked significantly, SVOGI (Sparse Voxel Based Global Illumination) added.
- Lighting creates more natural sense of darkness/indirect lighting in indoors
- SVOGI runs at a low resolution on Switch but is scalable (will be used in other versions of the remaster too)
- Switch remaster comes up closer to PC than the last-gen 360/PS3 version.
- Certain lighting effects with volumetric properties removed.
- Per Object and camera blur retained, cinematic DoF also retained.

- Full destruction model retained but significant impact on performance on Switch.
- Certain things like foliage sway, destruction etc renders at lower frame rate
- More foliage present compared to PS3/360 version.
- Shadow Rendering is very low for foliage/trees compared to PC.
- Flashlight shadows re present but absent only from the 1st level

- POM absent from Switch version, it was present in PC/PS3/360 versions.
- It might come back to Docked more via a patch later.
- Water Rendering is more akin to the DX11 style rendering.
- Rendering of underwater areas takes a visual hit with almost everything underwater cut off.

Performance:

- Game suffers from frame time spikes which causes near constant stutter.
- Related to rendering pipeline from the 360/PS3 version which was inherited here
- Target 30 FPS is reached very often and much better than last gen port.
- However, heavy during combat frame rate drops significantly to 17~16 FPS
- Portable plays more or less the same but John prefers playing in portable.
- Some later missions have temporary minor pauses during combat which the dev have said they will address.

- Gyro aiming is present and works well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some great elements, but a lot of compromises even compared to a port that ran on 2005 hardware. I was hoping for better. Also frequently drops well below 30FPS.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Some great elements, but a lot of compromises even compared to a port that ran on 2005 hardware. I was hoping for better. Also frequently drops well below 30FPS.
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. John mentions both a 'much better visual presentation' and a 'dramatically improved performance compared to the PS3 and XB360 versions' in the video.

When does the PC version come out?
Current status is 'delayed indefinitely' for the PS4/XB1/PC versions. Edit: Looks like they did mention it'd be 'a few weeks', so probably sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. John mentions both a 'much better visual presentation' and a 'dramatically improved performance compared to the PS3 and XB360 versions' in the video.

The video shows a lot of compromises, like the refresh rate of foliage movement, ambient occlusion, some geometries and so on. There's various noticeable improvements compared to the prior console version, but I honestly expected better, especially as the framerate is still nowhere near ideal.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they take a look at rogue company on Switch
RC was probably developed with the Switch in mind from early on.
With this Saber is doing the best they can to bring it to Switch - lets see how its gonna look/perform after a couple updates...seems like they really wanted to hit that release date at least on Switch.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
This port looks really impressive considering it's running on a Switch. I'm surprised they're not selling this for a much higher price like other remasters/ports on Switch.

Will probably get since my initial playthrough of this game was a constant 20fps and lower anyway.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Even with the caveats, it's still a playable version of Crysis on a portable. That's impressive no matter how you put it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I think this looks great. If you'd told me a few years back that Crysis would look like this on a handheld I would've shown you the door. Impressive port.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just talk about how this game has global illumination on the switch?? This is incredible, like we don't even have this on current gen consoles. How did this developer even do this? This has to be the most impressive looking engine on the switch...like I'm still in shock...svogi on switch

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly does this mean and is this going to be the troll focus?

The written article explains it much better:

However, even when running in optimal conditions, there is a problem: the frame-rate cap is actually 31fps, not 30fps. It may sound like a matter of little importance, but the whole reason 30fps is a developer choice at all is that new frames are synchronised with every other screen refresh - so it still looks smooth and consistent.

As things stand, an extra frame is added every 12th frame and even if the frame-rate is notionally higher, this adds unwelcome stutter. This seems to be an artefact of the last-gen versions of Crysis which mostly went unnoticed as performance was generally so poor

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the pc version is going to be worse than the actual original version if its a port of the ps360 versions.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a very solid port, considering that the original Crysis has a reputation of bringing down PC builds "to their knees" so to speak.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds worse than what I wanted in the performance department. Now is just a interesting "look it runs on switch" curiosity. Oh well.

I'd be curious to know if this is an improvement performance wise from a straight port or if a straight port would have run a little better.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Really interesting result - it's a night and day improvement over the original console ports even with the odd change (lack of POM and lower refresh rate for foliage).

Not to mention it runs far better than the demo did on the PC I had at the time of release 😂

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i think it looks pretty remarkable on switch

svogi running on a portable device is cool to see

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It is using a different CryEngine version due to rendering and background features, but the overhwleming majority of assets, level placement for things and even the bugs (the flashlight bug on level 1) are all from the PS360 versions.
Ah, ok, I stand corrected then, in yesterday's stream the devs seemed to confirm it was not based on those.