• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

As part of our continuing coverage in the run-up to the launch of Crysis Remastered, Alex Battaglia and John Linneman check out the game running on Xbox One X with ray tracing mode enabled! How does it look, how well does it run and just how has Crytek managed to get real-time RT reflections working on a current-gen console? Find out here!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and to get access to everything we do via pristine quality downloads: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://bit.ly/2BqRTt0

--

Written Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Crysis Remastered: this is what ray tracing looks like on consoles

The release of Crysis Remastered draws closer and today we can reveal a technical feature of the console versions that …

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just the Xbox One X version? What resolution the game is outputting with RT?
What about PS4 Pro?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's just fucking nuts that they managed this one the One X

The PS4 Pro too.

-

Some key points:

Secondly, should you select the ray tracing option (there are performance and resolution/quality modes too), resolution is busted down to a dynamic 1080p.

Ray traced structures around the player operate within a limited radius - and they're also rendered at a lower level of geometric precision. The reflections themselves are also rendered at quarter resolution, but the effect is of a higher fidelity thanks to an interlace-style effect, switching between two different 'fields' each frame (unnoticeable in the final presentation).

No dynamic objects are ray traced either - that's the domain of the hardware-accelerated form of ray tracing found on PC

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeha I just read it, I didn't see the article first. It's a bummer dynamic objects aren't ray traced but I hope this game will have next-gen updates with HW RT soon like on PC.
You can bet there will be a PS5/XBSX port with all the hardware RT options.

This just seems like Crytek's way of saying "look at what we can do" with the already existing console hardware. It's an impressive feat.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Didn't realize the mid gen machines can do ray tracing.

Any computer can do ray tracing, it's just incredibly intensive. The new consoles simply include features in the hardware itself specifically designed to make ray-tracing less of a performance hog.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I hate, HATE, hitches because checkpoints.

please crytek allow autosave_disable command to avoid it.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
2tijjf.png

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Any computer can do ray tracing, it's just incredibly intensive. The new consoles simply include features in the hardware itself specifically designed to make ray-tracing less of a performance hog.
Yup.

In this case the reflect scene also has very simple shaders to reduce the additional load from shading.

Interestingly Crytek does a polygon/triangle RT.
Unlike Claybook which had distance field raytracer.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah, I just read it, I didn't see the article first. It's a bummer dynamic objects aren't ray traced but I hope this game will have next-gen updates with HW RT soon like on PC.
Skinned objects are not traced; "dynamic objects" should be. I will update the article to say that, I somehow wrote that wrong.

A tree falling will still be caught in the reflection, just not a character/deformable mesh.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but will this software RT solution be included as well in the PC version of the game?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much faster the hardware based version is going to be. I hope they don't spend all the acceleration gains on better quality, but also speed over the software based version.

Good news that software RT is also enabled on the PC version without RT acceleration!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Skinned objects are not traced; "dynamic objects" should be. I will update the article to say that, I somehow wrote that wrong.

A tree falling will still be caught in the reflection, just not a character/deformable mesh.

Ah I see. I watched the video and you mentioend that there but not in the article. Regardless it's still very impressive.
Looking forward how Wolrd Of Tanks and Warthunder are including software ray tracing on consoles too.
3 games now and not just Crysis.
I think DF needs to take a look at it:

wccftech.com

War Thunder Adds Raytracing and HDR on PC and Xbox One

War Thunder Update 1.95 is out now and it adds major graphics features to the game, such as raytracing (GI) and HDR on PC and Xbox One.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
No skinned meshes being reflected is a bummer. It's neat that they got it running but I do wonder if the end result won't feel mostly like cube maps when observed in passing. That's how I felt about it in the footage honestly.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It looks really good. I'm so bummed they kept the shitty suit modes from the 360 port though. Power mode as a standard is bullshit.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You can bet there will be a PS5/XBSX port with all the hardware RT options.

This just seems like Crytek's way of saying "look at what we can do" with the already existing console hardware. It's an impressive feat.

Yeah. I can see them doing it and say: look our Cryengine still rocking compared to UE and other in-house engines.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is this is a implementation you would also see on next gen consoles or will they use different solutions? Dictator

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
The geometry on the console versions looks fucking rough, hopefully the remaster fares better on PC (and that the raytracing can be done on tensor cores).

trugc

Oct 28, 2017

Any idea on why Nanosuit models look so low-poly in this video? Is that related to ray-tracing mode?
Also it looks like they have replaced their previous approach which stores triangles in SVO node by maintaining a separate BVH?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. Really impressive that they pulled this off on current-gen consoles. It's good to see Crytek continue to be a tech powerhouse.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Wild to see this running on the mid-gen machines. I'll probably opt for the res mode for the time being but still hoping for a PS5 update for this.

BTW is there any word on HDR support? Would look great with those bright reflections on the ship.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Cryengine is always ahead of everything until ue5. If they add mesh shaders support it will blows people away again with insane geometric details.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Maybe.
Cube maps or reflection probes can give nice looking reflections now a days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is essentially baked in (and pretty expensive bakes too I think, though I have no point of comparison to what happens in games with baked lighting today so maybe I'm off here too, their examples require like 26 hours of precomputation - again, cursory glance so I'm not sure what hardware they are using). It's not dynamic in any way shape or form (based on a very superficial look see at the paper).

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is essentially baked in. It's not dynamic in any way shape or form (based on a very superficial look see at the paper).
Static scene with opaque objects, but yeah. I would imagine studios like Naughty Dog would be very interested in this research as they heavily used static lighting.

I can imagine a near field ray trace done for specular in game with such static objects, and then the secondary, trinary, etc. bounces in those reflections and outside the near field being handled by such a system.