• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
huh, the graphics are actually pretty good, at least that one complaint of the peanut gallery was slightly off.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for the detailed analysis! And the remarkably clean video. It's clear that you guys know how to get YouTube to do the right thing when it comes to getting good quality video. Those opening few shots of the game that you present are absolutely breathtaking.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well these are supposed to be "professional" reviewers. It's literally their job to be able to explain things in a educated and nuanced way.
Well. You're not wrong. Incompetence is not the same as maliciousness, is all I'm saying. But I'm actually mostly referring to the people on YouTube and social media who are parroting these things without really thinking about what they're saying. I generally trust the professional reviewers to do their due diligence (though that's been stretched quite a bit recently), even if I know I will disagree with them on many things. Again, you may not be wrong, I just don't think it's fair to turn it around and accuse them of bias or ill-will, when it could be something much more mundane.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Well. You're not wrong. Incompetence is not the same as maliciousness, is all I'm saying. But I'm actually mostly referring to the people on YouTube and social media who are parroting these things without really thinking about what they're saying. I generally trust the professional reviewers to do their due diligence (though that's been stretched quite a bit recently), even if I know I will disagree with them on many things. Again, you may not be wrong, I just don't think it's fair to turn it around and accuse them of bias or ill-will, when it could be something much more mundane.
I wasn't accusing them of any bias or ill-will. Just stating that there seems to be a cloud of negativity surrounding the game that's making people even "professionals" throw nuance and reasonable discourse out the window.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Review thread had me bummed earlier today since I have been looking forward to the game for so damn long. This video has me psyched again. I love the visual style myself. The HDR will be splendid. I also own an X.

This video truly has made me psyched again so thank you for that DF.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really nice show case of the tech, still think the world looks empty and unengaging, but I can't fault how clean it looks. HDR looked excellent too

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
It actually looks alright. Character animations are half-baked (similar to Recore), but the environment looks great and you can feel the sense of scale. First thing that came to mind was Coruscant in KOTOR, but fully traversable.

Physics doesn't look as good as you would expect from the much touted destruction-physics though. Destruction doesn't look natural but looks more like a crumbling stack of dominoes, where there is very minor horizontal deviation and pieces all fall at the same rate.

Coruscant wasn't in Kotor.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Conspiratorial rhetoric and continued pattern of system warring
huh, the graphics are actually pretty good, at least that one complaint of the peanut gallery was slightly off.

Easy Allies and others say different. I'll include them in the peanut gallery list. Also 30fps? We know how DF got down at the beginning of the Gen bringing up shit like "but if your friends play online on live" or if you prefer "Xbox controller" just to paint a certain console in a brighter light during break downs. Metrics thy got called out on and never used before until Ps4 started this Gen winning breakdowns.

Iq looks good I'll give it tht much but the graphics look OK imo, nothing great at least on Xbox One.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crackdown-3-in-24692779

"The world is boring, the humor is stale, the missions are repetitive, and the visuals are surprisingly poor on the Xbox One" according to tht review.

Last edited:

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Thanks for the vid!
Playing gives me a much better idea of the good job they've done at creating a fun playground to blow shit up in you just can't get by screenshots.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome video, thanks for your hard work on this!

I really dig the aesthetics of this game, and I'm looking forward to checking this tomorrow. Can't wait to return to some Crackdown goodness.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Easy Allies and others say different. I'll include them in the peanut gallery list. Also 30fps? We know how DF got down at the beginning of the Gen bringing up shit like "but if your friends play online on live" or if you prefer "Xbox controller" just to paint a certain console in a brighter light during break downs. Metrics thy got called out on and never used before until Ps4 started this Gen winning breakdowns.

Iq looks good I'll give it tht much but the graphics look OK imo, nothing great at least on Xbox One.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crackdown-3-in-24692779

"The world is boring, the humor is stale, the missions are repetitive, and the visuals are surprisingly poor on the Xbox One" according to tht review.
Find me one single video that I did which specifically mentions controllers and online play. That is a stupid metric to judge something by.

30fps locked in an open world UE4 game is quite an achievement. How many open world game this gen are at 60fps? It's not very common is it?

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the game is stuttering a lot that it's so annoying that I'm just going to wait for a patch. It's bad.

I'm on an 8700K/2080Ti playing on an Asus PG27UQ. HDR works fine on the monitor.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get what is so funny, That user asked me to show a UE4 game that looks much better and I did. Another example is Arkham knight which is even on UE3 and also looks much, much better visually than crackdown 3 in my opinion.
You could've mentioned Gears 4 or Gears 5 - both look better than CD3 but they also try to accomplish different things. I have yet to see a game with the same world scale like CD3. And no, not scale in different set pieces but scale in you can climb on a tower and have the same scale as CD3 delivers.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Positive thread has very little activity. Hmmmm good to see its a very clean looking game. Looks breathtaking at points. Will loom amazing on my TV. The 360 comments on this forum were an embarrassment to those members.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I am playing on PC and struttering is driving me crazy. Even on multiplayer matches it's ruining fun for me :(

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played on my pc for a bit. Killed the first "boss". That wasn't fun but on par with the bosses in Crackdown 1.

Orb hunting is fun as usual.

The graphics are ok and clean. Nothing to boast about but at least it's running at a locked 60fps for me. My 2080 is so bored during gameplay. I can't remember a new game that i could play with max settings in ultrawide (3440Ă—1440 ) @ 60fps and my 2080 is nearly silent.

Will play a bit more before i decide what i think about it but so far i don't think i'll play this for more than 2-3 hours.

Loved CD1 by the way. But something feels off...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Very nice video. Looks very...clean. Antiseptic, even. Colorful but quiet (almost dead world as far as normal NPCs go) and it's easy to see the compromises made to fit it successfully on an OG Xbox One (light traffic, few NPCs compared to its contemporaries). I can see why it would have been pegged for its visuals because outside of the neon lights everywhere, there isn't a lot interesting visually. Things being labeled in the video as praise-worthy design choices (eg. large empty-ish rooms) strike me more as performance compromises and consequences. Lateral movement animations are very 2007. Otherwise, it seems to perform well with what they had to work with. Needless to say, visual polish was not what made or broke this game's reviews.

PC stuttering will keep me away as much as all the other issues the game has that have resulted in the average scoring it has received.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or does the IQ look super clean. Don't think I've seen a game look this sharp in a while, it may be the art style that accentuates it.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i dont know what to say, i was sure this game would be native 1080p on X1S and native 4k on the X1X, really disappointing to hear they cant even achieve that without using a dynamic resolution with a major resolution drop. the game didnt look that good IMO and there are other X1 exclusive that look better while operating at a higher resolution.

Expect dynamic resolutions for almost all MS first party games from here on out.

The goal is that the next box will be able to boost these games to whatever it's max output it without a patch required.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
It's absolutely bizarre to see DF speak so highly of the visuals (and bring receipts), while people here say it looks like a 360 game. Lol

Anyway, the skyline, sense of scale and lighting make this game look awesome. I'm not a fan of some of the explosions, but over all, I find it visually appealing.
I think this is one of those games that doesn't look very good on a 1080p compressed video. The art style just doesn't mesh well with whatever compression algorithm YouTube uses.

I also think we're getting to the point where we are hitting limits of internet video showing us graphical fidelity increases, and people's ability to discern a bad game from bad compression. You look at the MK11 reveal and some people are saying it looks like MKX, and meanwhile I'm looking at 4K footage captured from the reveal and I'm thinking it looks like the best looking game I've ever seen. Yet Maximilian Dood, who went to the event, says even that 4k capture footage provided from the MK11 reveal doesn't do the game justice.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is one of those games that doesn't look very good on a 1080p compressed video. The art style just doesn't mesh well with whatever compression algorithm YouTube uses.

I also think we're getting to the point where we are hitting limits of internet video showing us graphical fidelity increases, and people's ability to discern a bad game from bad compression. You look at the MK11 reveal and some people are saying it looks like MKX, and meanwhile I'm looking at 4K footage captured from the reveal (which btw Maximilian who went to the event says the captures provided from it still doesn't do the game justice) and thinking it looks like the best looking game I've ever seen.
It all depends on capture software also and encoding. Its always funny how better footage looks from real youtubers to sites like IGN. For Youtubers its their main thing to get the best quality and best uploads. Where for example IGN its one of the many capture events they go to. Also lookat this DF vid. Even if its on YT they could really show the quality of the game because they always nail the capture and encoding.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
It all depends on capture software also and encoding. Its always funny how better footage looks from real youtubers to sites like IGN. For Youtubers its their main thing to get the best quality and best uploads. Where for example IGN its one of the many capture events they go to. Also lookat this DF vid. Even if its on YT they could really show the quality of the game because they always nail the capture and encoding.
But DF themselves also have admitted YouTube doesn't do games justice by the fact that they independently host higher quality videos.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I also think we're getting to the point where we are hitting limits of internet video showing us graphical fidelity increases, and people's ability to discern a bad game from bad compression. You look at the MK11 reveal and some people are saying it looks like MKX, and meanwhile I'm looking at 4K footage captured from the reveal and I'm thinking it looks like the best looking game I've ever seen. Yet Maximilian Dood, who went to the event, says even that 4k capture footage provided from the MK11 reveal doesn't do the game justice.

The issue for Crackdown 3 is that the strongest aspect by far is the clean/sharp IQ, something Youtube isn't really made to show off as well.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Also John has an incredibly eye for moving the game camera and capturing the game assets in a way that makes all the hard work that went into them look great.
Oh, yeah and the encoding :D

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Videos seem to default on lower quality settings for me, don't know why....my internet is great.

Have to manually change to 1080/4k all the time.

silentrob32

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks to all at Digital Foundry for always putting up such consistently great videos. After seeing all the hate that Crackdown 3 was gathering this positive video was highly refreshing and I'm looking forward to trying it out on my X tonight. Seems you and I have similar game taste John!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Been noticing a lot of stuttering on my computer as well. I have it installed on an older SSD, a Samsung 850 500GB I believe, but it's still an SSD.

Most of the time it'll be like it's there and then it's gone while I'm running around, but it's very noticable, and it seems to be happening frequently.

edit: Oh my God, disregard that. I'm a dummy and forgot to close Adventure Capitalist from running in the background. I don't notice any stuttering now when I run around hunting for orbs now.

Last edited: