• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Lol not the only one. I'm almost positive that XSX will do 4k natively 99.7% of the time

If DirectML could promise these kinds of performance gains this promises, I'd rather XSX games run at 1440p reconstructed to 4K, leaving more processing power for more intensive graphics. Running native seems like like a waste of processing power.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. For me if this version was the best it would ever get then I'd be more than happy considering you need to zoom in 600% to see the trade offs.
My point is that zoom isn't necessary for everybody to see the faults. I can see them with no zoom at all on my PC. But you're correct that for different people, and different setups, it may be an acceptable tradeoff. For example, if I were playing on my TV I probably would have a hard time noticing, due to increased viewing distance only partially offset by the bigger screen.

The thought of the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda running at 1080p on the Switch 2 / Pro but displaying what is essentially very close to native 4k is extremely exciting to me, a very frustrated (when it comes to hardware power) Nintendo fan.
Unless Nintendo make the "Switch 2" screen physically a lot bigger, such high resolution is somewhat overkill. DLSS may be better than typical upscaling at preserving single-pixel detail, but on a 4K tablet screen, single-pixel detail is going to be tough to see anyway.

I think the better scenario would be to just upscale from 1080p, or 1440p, and use any extra resources to add higher polys, better materials, more particles, cool liquid simulations, and especially excellent and fully dynamic light and shadow. I think those sorts of things would enhance Nintendo's chosen graphical styles more than just adding lots of teeny details.

Does AMD have something similar which could be in PS5? Sorry if already answered I've been watching wrestling instead of reading.
AMD's answer for machine-learning type work appears to be different. Instead of running such work on dedicated hardware, it runs on the normal general-purpose hardware, but at increased speed versus other types of work. At least, that's how Series X does it, and PS5 is the same chip family so liable to also. This is better than nothing, but worse than DLSS because it's even more of a tradeoff with other graphics work. (It might still make sense, though, since you save so much overhead dropping to one-quarter the resolution.)

Yeah the AI upscaling Rich tested in his video is from the Sheild TV which uses the exact same revised Mariko chipset in the new Switch
That said, it delivered mixed results (which he points out pretty early on in his video) , speculating perhaps since it's a streaming box and not a games machine the AI algorithm may be more tuned for videos at 30fps.
I think it's more that AI upscaling just isn't a magic bullet. Some TVs have had AI upscaling for years (not realtime, done with a trained DSP). It's pretty hard to see the supposed advantages. Game engines do have more potential upside, though, since it's not totally post-process.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that zoom isn't necessary for everybody to see the faults. I can see them with no zoom at all on my PC. But you're correct that for different people, and different setups, it may be an acceptable tradeoff. For example, if I were playing on my TV I probably would have a hard time noticing, due to increased viewing distance only partially offset by the bigger screen.

Unless Nintendo make the "Switch 2" screen physically a lot bigger, such high resolution is somewhat overkill. DLSS may be better than typical upscaling at preserving single-pixel detail, but on a 4K tablet screen, single-pixel detail is going to be tough to see anyway.

I think the better scenario would be to just upscale from 1080p, or 1440p, and use any extra resources to add higher polys, better materials, more particles, cool liquid simulations, and especially excellent and fully dynamic light and shadow. I think those sorts of things would enhance Nintendo's chosen graphical styles more than just adding lots of teeny details.

AMD's answer for machine-learning type work appears to be different. Instead of running such work on dedicated hardware, it runs on the normal general-purpose hardware, but at increased speed versus other types of work. At least, that's how Series X does it, and PS5 is the same chip family so liable to also. This is better than nothing, but worse than DLSS because it's even more of a tradeoff with other graphics work. (It might still make sense, though, since you save so much overhead dropping to one-quarter the resolution.)

Thanks for the detailed reply <3

Yeah I play on a 50" TV but I sit maybe 4 feet from my display so it would be very difficult to tell.

I was more meaning for docked play on the Switch Pro/2. 4k would definitely be overkill on a 6" screen haha.

Interesting about AMD. Will have to see what they come up with. In truth 1440p or CB4k is great image quality for me and my set up on the PS4 Pro. I'm mostly excited about this for the next Switch as 720-900p really doesn't look great on a 4k screen even from 4 feet away!

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
This is amazing, not only for PC but also potentially the next Switch. There was always the question of how it would be able to handle next ports, this could be the answer.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very thin objects need a higher resolution to properly show on screen. so things like Jessie's hair is too thin to be properly rendered at 1080p, however DLSS (even 540p to 1080p) is able to properly render that

Awesome tech. Cheers for the explanation.

Wonder if Switch (or its next model) could start using something like this.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
You have some things incorrect here. RTX 2060 is around 100 TOPs - the XSX is 49 for int8. int4 TOPs is double for both - so around 200 for RTX 2060 and 97 for XSX.

How is that TOPs performance allocated on RTX cards? Could the 2060 do all those 200 Tops on the tensor cores alone without affecting general shader performance, whereas the entire XSX GPU could only manage half the TOPs?

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
But I don't know if these rapid packed math games use the turing tensor cores at all, wouldn't the devs have to program with that in mind? FP16 in Far Cry 5 for example is used for water physics but only for Vega apparently?
No, NVIDIA drivers divert any FP16 calculations to the Tensor cores on RTX GPUs, no developer intervention is required. Also Far Cry 5 and Wolfesntein games use FP16 on any hardware that supports them, Vega, Turing, Volta, RDNA .. etc.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For GTA VII, an AI is going to generate a whole world. All buildings can be entered.

Coming Spring 2030.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This along with GSync should definitely get a couple more years of life out of these RTX cards.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Seeing this stuff just increases my anticipation for the 30 series. If we get even a 40% jump over the 20 series, we could be looking at a host of performance options that give users even more options that PC gaming has ever offered. What an amazing time to observe all of this.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Someone dumb it down for me. If this is implemented in Switch 2 what exactly would it mean from a 3rd party support perspective?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Someone dumb it down for me. If this is implemented in Switch 2 what exactly would it mean from a 3rd party support perspective?
Basically just one of the best forms of upscaling we've seen so far. You can render a game internally at half the final output resolution and it still looks shockingly good. On PC it's being touted as a way to use GPU intensive features like ray tracing without as big of a performance hit, and on a Switch 2 it could mean games looking much better in docked mode.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this technology only applicable to real time rendering, or could it be used for something like a video player to upscale lower resolution content? If so, I'll definitely consider building an htpc for this.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Is this technology only applicable to real time rendering, or could it be used for something like a video player to upscale lower resolution content? If so, I'll definitely consider building an htpc for this.
Nvidia has "AI based" real time video upscaling on the latest Shield TV models, but it's not really the same as DLSS since it's not using a heap of training data of how the content is supposed to look at higher resolutions that it's trying to match.

The results are still pretty impressive by most accounts. Here's a video review.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

You... do realize the Switch has a mode where it can hook up to a big ass TV, right?

Oct 26, 2017
With all the Switch successor talk it would be nice if someone can find out how many tensor cores are required for this and at what frequency. The RTX2060 has 240 but probaly can't expect a Switch successor to have that.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I was blown away by this when I went back to Control for the DLC.

It really feels like people are tuning this out, the blurry mess that was the first showcase of DLSS on Metro and Tomb Raider and whatever else is still in people's mind I guess.

I won't be surprised at all when this is the showcase feature of the RTX3000 launch and they conveniently ignore/footnote that you don't need the new gen for it.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
games can be rendered at lower resolution and still have really good IQ. because it's not really the loss of texture resolution or visual effects that hurts Switch ports, but the low-ass resolution. this solves that problem

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
With all the Switch successor talk it would be nice if someone can find out how many tensor cores are required for this and at what frequency. The RTX2060 has 240 but probaly can't expect a Switch successor to have that.
We will see. A switch successor's SoC will likely be built on a 7nm process, allowing for more cores, but not sure how many given that it will be a mobile chip instead of a dedicated GPU.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I was blown away by this when I went back to Control for the DLC.

It really feels like people are tuning this out, the blurry mess that was the first showcase of DLSS on Metro and Tomb Raider and whatever else is still in people's mind I guess.

I won't be surprised at all when this is the showcase feature of the RTX3000 launch and they conveniently ignore/footnote that you don't need the new gen for it.

DLSS 3.0 exclusive to 3000 series!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
On tensor cores, which are specifically designed for these workloads. The speedup using RPM on AMD CUs is much smaller, and takes from the same pool of resources all other rendering does, unlike with Nvidia.

Laymen here... what's the significance of upscaling on dedicated tensor cores vs AMDs approach if nvidia's GPU is idle during the upscale anyway?

Is taking from the same pool of resources as all other rendering a big negative if the alternative is the GPU idling until the upscale?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Laymen here... what's the significance of upscaling on dedicated tensor cores vs AMDs approach if nvidia's GPU is idle during the upscale anyway?

Is taking from the same pool of resources as all other rendering a big negative if the alternative is the GPU idling until the upscale?
The difference is that the tensor cores are much more capable at the INT8/INT4 computations than the AMD CUs, which make the DLSS upscale phase faster. That seems to be the extent of the benefit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why hello there Switch 2. Say hi to 1080p undocked and 4K docked resolutions even potentially of PS5/XBX ports.

Also holy shit ... I actually like the look of the DLSS 540p (reconstructed to 1080p) better than the 1080p native.

That is a monstrous game changer for Switch 2, even at say 1.6 TF undocked and 3.2 TF docked ... 1.6 TF only having to handle a meager 540p resolution ... it's going to crunch that low of a pixel count like eating cake.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
On Switch 2, XSX and PS5 ports could run at 540p upscaled to 1080p undocked and at 1080p upscaled to 4K docked.
I'm wondering about that too. With DLSS the GPU should certainly be able to manage PS5 games. But it's not just the GPU. They'd need a lot of fast RAM, and an 8c/16t Zen 2 CPU. Maybe doable in 2022? But at what price...?

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering about that too. With DLSS the GPU should certainly be able to manage PS5 games. But it's not just the GPU. They'd need a lot of fast RAM, and an 8c/16t Zen 2 CPU. Maybe doable in 2022? But at what price...?
They don't need that, they just need a sufficiently fast CPU and ram for their targeted resolution. 8 Arm cores at a high enough clock and 8GB of LPDDR5 would be enough for ports.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like I asked this question in a previous thread but didn't word it well: are amd working on similar upscaling tech/is this something the other consoles could benefit from at all?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I prefer the look of DLSS 540p and 1080p (reconstructed to 1080p and 4K) over the 1080p and 4K native, lol.

It looks sharper and higher resolution to my eye and ultimately more eye pleasing to me. I mean yeah I guess you can become a tech nerd and scrutinize every pixel, but if this is the type of result they can pull off, the average gamer I doubt very much is going to be able to tell much of a difference or may even prefer the Nvidia DLSS-ed image.

I almost wonder if there would be much point to going even as high as 1080p docked for Switch 2 if they used this for really ambitious games. 900p would probably scale up to 1800p in that case and 1800p I think for most people is pretty damn close 4K. But rendering at an even lower native res means you can probably push visual fidelity itself even higher.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I asked this question in a previous thread but didn't word it well: are amd working on similar upscaling tech/is this something the other consoles could benefit from at all?
DLSS is Nvidia's work. Microsoft has a similar ML upscaling solution and RDNA2 does support machine learning workloads, so who knows how that might do on Series X

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My only issue with DLSS at the moment is how it is incredibly oversharpened.
I'm not sure if this just because gamers have a
terrible eye for that kind of thing and prefer it (so it's forced for extra BAMpop) or if it's an unfortunate side effect of the training

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
DLSS is Nvidia's work. Microsoft has a similar ML upscaling solution and RDNA2 does support machine learning workloads, so who knows how that might do on Series X
Yeah I knew DLSS is a Nvidia solution but feels like these techs usually end up with wider adoption.

Will be interesting to see what this does this gen/whether these consoles not having this kind of tech proves to be a major weakness

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I'll be honest, I prefer the look of DLSS 540p and 1080p (reconstructed to 1080p and 4K) over the 1080p and 4K native, lol.

It looks sharper and higher resolution to my eye and ultimately more eye pleasing to me. I mean yeah I guess you can become a tech nerd and scrutinize every pixel, but if this is the type of result they can pull off, the average gamer I doubt very much is going to be able to tell much of a difference or may even prefer the Nvidia DLSS-ed image.

I almost wonder if there would be much point to going even as high as 1080p docked for Switch 2 if they used this for really ambitious games. 900p would probably scale up to 1800p in that case and 1800p I think for most people is pretty damn close 4K. But rendering at an even lower native res means you can probably push visual fidelity itself even higher.
I think the interesting point is that to start getting into "differences" you have to do 400-800 % zooms.

With normal 2160 checkerboarding, the overaveraging of pixel results makes the differences between a real native and checkerboarded result in side by sides noticably different in aggregate.

Also the fact that we are comparing and looking for the "which is better/ where does it fail" in side by sides with native and zooming in to tell the reasons why it is deficient while it also is 130% faster.

That is... rather unique.
terrible eye for that kind of thing and prefer it (so it's forced for extra BAMpop) or if it's an unfortunate side effect of the training

It is 100% a togglable slider. They left it as is probably just because basic market research told them people like images sharp to the point of having ringing artefacts.

The sharpening halos are the problem as I see iot. The actual detail in inner surfaces in most shots which make it look different than native, is usually just because native has TAA overeveraging results in inner surfaces, turn off TAA in such shots and inner surface detail actually looks remarkably like DLSS.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
One of the lead developers behind the technology said sharpness is actually scalable, they just didn't happen to include it in any games yet.