• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
PS5 version looks washed out
I thought so too but later in the video I thought the reflections looked better on the PS5 and the XSX was too dark. I wonder if this is display setting that needs to be changed for each console.

I am downloading both console versions and will be able to do my own comparisons later this week. (I bought the Xbox version when it was on sale last December/November?).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Have you tried to disable system wide HDR on PS5?( it looks terrible btw in most SDR games )... i think i cranked up brightness to 70 something on PS5 and it still looked terrible but i have not tried to disable HDR myself.

But yeah i noticed that this game crushes shadow detail quite a lot... even on Xbox btw. PC version is the only one that looks great on default brightness settings and 2.2 gamma set on display.

It is deactivated for non HDR games cause I know SDR games in this "HDR mode bubble" look awful cause that bubble does nothing but reducing the picture quality in a very weird way.
So yes that example is with no HDR mode, just like on Xbox.
TV has the same setting for both consoles which doesn't even matter here since these are screenshots taken on the systems.

Here is an in-game example with both versions on brightness 50.

PS5
PS-App-20210202-025346.jpg

XSX
39e75c03-9e05-490b-88a1-1361d669595b.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

PS5

XSX

Yeah, this was my experience playing the first hour or so last night. I assumed they'd done some new gamma curve thing for the Ultimate Edition but if it's only on the PS5 version I'll switch to my Xbox copy now before I get too far. Grabbed it in the sale over Christmas!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is deactivated for non HDR games cause I know SDR games in this "HDR mode bubble" look awful cause that bubble does nothing but reducing the picture quality in a very weird way.
TV has the same setting for both consoles which doesn't even matter here since these are screenshots taken on the systems.

PS5

XSX
We talked to remedy about this - it is a known issue at the moment on PS5! They are looking into it!

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

PS5

XSX
Do you have hgig set to on with the of C9?

Even though some suggest to use it, many people have issues with it. I know for me it makes games too dark.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Do you have hgig set to on with the of C9?

Even though some suggest to use it, many people have issues with it. I know for me it makes games too dark.

In HDR games, I always play with HGIG, yes.
Tho, this isn't an HDR game and I deactivated HDR on PS5 when playing this game so it doesn't run in this fake HDR bubble that does nothing to the game, despite making it look worse.
So I don't have an DTM option here. ;)

We talked to remedy about this - it is a known issue at the moment on PS5! They are looking into it!

Thank you! 👍 That's good to know.

General question for everyone, would you guys recommend cranking up the brightness setting a bit or does it raises the brightness/contrast in an artificial unnatural way? I usually try to let SDR games stay on the standard brightness setting. 🤔

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In HDR games, I always play with HGIG, yes.
Tho, this isn't an HDR game and I deactivated HDR on PS5 when playing this game so it doesn't run in this fake HDR bubble that does nothing to the game, despite making it look worse.
So I don't have an DTM option here. ;)
DOH, didn't even think about that since you said you turned her off.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

PS5

XSX
Which version is better ? I didn't have the game on série x , but i Can buy it one days if it's better.
For the ps5 version, i have to set it to 70 to get the brigthness right ( and i m not sûre it's good enough )

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Which version is better ? I didn't have the game on série x , but i Can buy it one days if it's better.

So far it seems both versions are basically identical with the only difference that the PS5 version has a fantastic Dual Sense support that you're missing on Xbox of course... But it has this contrast/brightness problem currently so that's the trade-off currently.

If the XSX version would have higher settings in any way then I would play it there but when it's basically identical I will probably stay with the PS5 version and dual sense.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017

PS5

XSX
Just for fun...

PC:
TTlZSo2.png

It's wild how different it is... bounce lighting everywhere i guess?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Launching the game from the Activity card is so smooth and fast, wow! It takes you directly to gameplay from a cold boot, that's just great

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
can you turn down intensity in system level settings?
Yes but that also turns down the intensity of all the other haptics. I just don't get why they think having the controller vibrate with every footstep is a good idea, it's seriously fucking annoying and distracting. A novelty in Astro but it's unnecessary in a game like Control.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
So far it seems both versions are basically identical with the only difference that the PS5 version has a fantastic Dual Sense support that you're missing on Xbox of course... But it has this contrast/brightness problem currently so that's the trade-off currently.

If the XSX version would have higher settings in any way then I would play it there but when it's basically identical I will probably stay with the PS5 version and dual sense.
I would not call a washed out screen lacking in detail on the PS5 an identical experience to the Xbox Series X version. But if you prefer your controller buzzing every single time your character takes a step - the PS5 version is superior.

DF did say the developer is looking into the PS5 issues.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Game looks great overall. But the black crush I'm getting on the PS5 compared to the Xbox Series X version is killing it. LG CX which has been great in everything else. Something is up here

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I would not call a washed out screen lacking in detail on the PS5 an identical experience to the Xbox Series X version. But if you prefer your controller buzzing every single time your character takes a step - the PS5 version is superior.

DF did say the developer is looking into the PS5 issues.

It is not washed out. The comparison video is wrong with this.
The contrast/black crush is the only problem the PS5 version has.
If anything, it's the opposite way, that the Xbox version feels more washed out because of the PS5 black crush.

So I have no idea what the ElAnalista guys did here but it's not accurate.

PS5:
PS-App-20210202-034255.jpg

XSX:
Edge-Sangral-Control-Xbox-Series-XS-20210202-14-12-24.png

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is not washed out. The comparison video is wrong with this.
The contrast/black crush is the only problem the PS5 version has.
If anything, it's the opposite way, that the Xbox version feels more washed out because of the PS5 black crush.

So I have no idea what the ElAnalista guys did here but it's not accurate.

PS5:
PS-App-20210202-034255.jpg

XSX:
Edge-Sangral-Control-Xbox-Series-XS-20210202-14-12-24.png
Yeah PS5 is definitely black crushed. Comparing to XSX PC, or last gen versions like PS4Pro, makes this obvious.

In my video - I upped the Brightness to 66 to compensate for my side by side recordings.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Edge You are correct. The PS5 has black crush. To compensate (kind of but in a shitty way) the brightness needs to be raised - which certainly does not help the picture quality/detail. I am causing the washed out details trying to compensate for the black crush. The XSX version looks much better on my XSX and 77" LG CX.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Planar reflections can look great, but they have their own problems. Like, they can only really be flat surfaces so nothing like the cool concave or convex reflections you get in Control.

Theres a reason that Hitman 3 implemented SSR despite already having planar reflections.

I didn't know that.

As for SSR, I saw this Crysis graphics enhancement mod that combines SSR with planar. I think that's a smart use of it. It switches to planar when the object is off screen.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Dirt 5 had a similar issue with the gamma when in SDR, but perfectly fine with HDR. Dont know if the devs ever fixed the issue.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Where did anyone claim anything like that? Feel free to find such claims in all I've said.

You replied to my post where I was criticising people for being "disappointed" with the graphics that DF said was very comparable to PC in practical terms by first claiming they didn't mean that (which they did), then by claiming it's obvious from the video they pointed out. So, no, technically you didn'y say you were disappointed it didn't run in 120hz, yeah, but I think you get what I mean.

And yes, it is disappointing that the consoles which launched less than half a year ago can't handle PC level of graphics from 2019, even in 1440p. This doesn't bode well for the future of this console generation. Without RT it would be a dud on arrival though so at least there's that.

The appropriate response here, I believe is: JFC.

We also saw the introduction of Pro/XBX which kinda made these impressive gains possible highlighting the fact that these people were in fact right.

No, the introduction of Pro/Xbox One X allowed for 4K/checkerboarded games on 4K TVs, but you can still play games like GoW, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima on base PS4 and I think these games have some of the best graphics you can find in all of current gaming. Heck, I'd say that The Last of Us Part 2, perfectly playable on base PS4, seven years after the console launch (!) - and I'd say it still hasn't been matched by anything PC, graphically speaking. I'd also argue that Gears 5 looks great on Xbox One - sure, not at PC resolutions and framerates, but still looks and runs great. And these are consoles that had performance issues when they came out, so - as others have said - next gen consoles will be fine, graphics-wise. In fact, I'd bet the prettiest, more graphically fascinating game in the next 5-7 years will be on PS5 or Xbox Series X, not on other platforms.

So, TLDR, no, those people in fact were not right.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
One thing people should be talking about more about the PS5 version is that the DualSense implementation is pretty nice both with haptics and the triggers. My dudes played at least some AstroBot.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS is just a better form of temporal AA than what is currently used. I can understand not liking TAA but it's not like you get a choice anymore.
DLSS is using a temporal component but it's not the only one in use and it's not really a "form" of temporal AA either.

You replied to my post where I was criticising people for being "disappointed" with the graphics that DF said was very comparable to PC in practical terms by first claiming they didn't mean that (which they did), then by claiming it's obvious from the video they pointed out. So, no, technically you didn'y say you were disappointed it didn't run in 120hz, yeah, but I think you get what I mean.
If you mean to exaggerate the issue out of all proportions then yeah, I get what you mean.

The appropriate response here, I believe is: JFC.
Okay.

No, the introduction of Pro/Xbox One X allowed for 4K/checkerboarded games on 4K TVs, but you can still play games like GoW, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima on base PS4 and I think these games have some of the best graphics you can find in all of current gaming.
So you seriously suggest that consoles being stuck with 900p or so from 2013 till 2021 would be just as fine as what we've had with midcycle upgrades?

So, TLDR, no, those people in fact were not right.
In case you're wondering, the FACT that we have midgen upgrades is a PROOF that these people were in fact right.
What you think on how TLOU2 and Gears5 look like on PS4 and XBO isn't a proof of anything.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Have both versions and want to play the PS5 version with the DualSense implementation but, yeah, the black crush is awful. Looks so much better black/brightness wise on my Series X. Hope they patch this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Ports of previous gen games are not a good metric to judge a console capabilities. It never was and yet this always happens. People never learn.

People are spending top dollar for a luxury device in the middle of a culture obsessed with instant gratification. It will only get worse from here.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im using 70 brightness ingame on C9 and it looks like how it should at 50

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am in love with the RT in this. I just didn't like looking bland walls/glass.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The problem seems to be people think wdl,hitman 3 and control are the "outliers" and look at Valhalla and think thats how ps5/xsx are going to stack up against pc all the time. That game runs terrible on nvidia hardware, a 5700xt comes close to a 2080ti and the 6000 series cards destroy the 3000 series. If you compare the consoles to amd in valhalla it's a different story.

As for RT Dictator said ages ago he expects 2060s levels, and on games he has been able to test he's been pretty spot on. Remedy go and do work to implement checkerboarding with their RT tech (which isn't available on pc) instead of taking the easy way out and just pull things out of the BVH and people are saying they didn't care...............

I mean he straight up says Tom is working on a console comparison video with the xsx multiple times in the video.

Yep, those early Ubisoft games really gave people inflated expectations of what to expect when it comes to stacking up against PC hardware even though it was obvious they just performed really bad on Nvidia. Dictator has been saying all along to expect more in line with a 2060 and the reactions in this thread to the first post are people who set themselves up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yep, those early Ubisoft games really gave people inflated expectations of what to expect when it comes to stacking up against PC hardware even though it was obvious they just performed really bad on Nvidia. Dictator has been saying all along to expect more in line with a 2060 and the reactions in this thread to the first post are people who set themselves up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations.

dictator never said the new consoles are 2060 range, he said the rt performance is 2060 range.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys turning HDR off in the PS5 menu for playing?just curious.

Had to kick the in game settings brightness to 78 to get it to look right. Left my gamepass version on 50 and it looks fine on my OLED. Definitely seems to be a ps5 issue as others have stated.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks pretty damn good though. Ignore the settings because it really is unfair to judge it based on that. Ray tracing is extremely demanding and not to mention other things going on.

After the first hour or so I have to reevaluate my first reply. So far I am quite disappointed in the game and the graphics.

The characters and their animation (especially facial) look a bit stiff. The environment also did not awe me.

I guess playing Miles Morales yesterday and Cyberpunk before set me up to too high expectations. Playing in graphics mode.

15 min into control and im super impressed so far. Loading is quick, menus are fast, no hiccups. The haptic is awesome and the overall pic quality and RT looks really good aswell. Game just feels way more snappier even in the 30 fps mode than it did on the pro

Wow, my experience has been quite the opposite so far. Graphically it is not impressing me at all so far and the haptics are quite weak, especially ad there are none in the cutscenes.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Damn the settings are disappointing. Fortunately I got a refund and it's on PS+ so not much to complain but now I feel like buying the PC version to play it with maxed settings instead via Geforce Now. I would miss the Dualsense though.

I've recently replayed it on GN, finally being able to enjoy RT.
Go for it, is a blast.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
This black crush problem is pretty much the same as the one in Ghost of Tsushima on the PS5.

It's pretty annoying having to brighten everything up just so you can properly see stuff.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Control-Performance-1.png

Thats how the game looked for me for a couple minutes, was even worse in motion with crazy halos around the character. Walked around a little and than the crazy noise disappeared.