• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
The problem seems to be people think wdl,hitman 3 and control are the "outliers" and look at Valhalla and think thats how ps5/xsx are going to stack up against pc all the time. That game runs terrible on nvidia hardware, a 5700xt comes close to a 2080ti and the 6000 series cards destroy the 3000 series. If you compare the consoles to amd in valhalla it's a different story.

As for RT Dictator said ages ago he expects 2060s levels, and on games he has been able to test he's been pretty spot on. Remedy go and do work to implement checkerboarding with their RT tech (which isn't available on pc) instead of taking the easy way out and just pull things out of the BVH and people are saying they didn't care...............

Will they do a xsx video too?

I mean he straight up says Tom is working on a console comparison video with the xsx multiple times in the video.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, let me tell you what I mean by platform warring. Platform warring on this forum is when Playstation fans claim Xbox has no games, when Xbox fans claim 12 is two times bigger than 10 and when PC fans claim that if you see a lower resolution reflection on a glass at 200% zoom and it's not 120fps, it's "disappointing".

The only problem is, for the first two cases you get warnings and bans, but in the third case, you get by because "all you're saying is that clearly it's not the same". This place has double standards when it comes to this.

The difference between the examples you offer is rather obvious. Saying that Xbox has no games is factually wrong. Saying that 12 is two times bigger than 10 is factually wrong. Saying that the difference in settings in Control is disappointing is an opinion. You are calling for warnings and bans for people expressing a different opinion than you about comparing graphics settings in a thread that is specifically about comparing graphics settings.

Furthermore, you assign that opinion to PC fans when the overwhelming majority of the people who expressed that opinion are not PC fans. I don't think you are being fair here.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Considering this runs at 60fps at 1440p, maxed out on my 3070, which alone costs more than a PS5, this really isn't bad at all.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
On XSX here and the game is super smooth and the RT is amazing. People must have rose tinted glasses on with the way the game ran and looked on last gen. It wasn't ugly per say but there were definitely problems and the performance was garbage dipping into the low twenties and sometimes below. Remedy did an awesome job with this update.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The problem seems to be people think wdl,hitman 3 and control are the "outliers" and look at Valhalla and think thats how ps5/xsx are going to stack up against pc all the time. That game runs terrible on nvidia hardware, a 5700xt comes close to a 2080ti and the 6000 series cards destroy the 3000 series. If you compare the consoles to amd in valhalla it's a different story.

As for RT Dictator said ages ago he expects 2060s levels, and on games he has been able to test he's been pretty spot on. Remedy go and do work to implement checkerboarding with their RT tech (which isn't available on pc) instead of taking the easy way out and just pull things out of the BVH and people are saying they didn't care...............

I mean he straight up says Tom is working on a console comparison video with the xsx multiple times in the video.
Hardware & Engines are getting so complex these days there is just going to be variable cases, some games hunger for different things, it seems very much so with the difference in performance between next gen consoles & PC hardware being all over the place.
I believe the only truly objective thing between AMD & Nvidia at the moment is Nvidia's RT set up is superior, otherwise in standard rasterization, RDNA seems to be able to trade blows with Turing/Ampere & sometimes exceed it.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Does this not have HDR? Playing on XSX now and I noticed my TV did not switch to HDR mode. Going to download on PS5 soon but I assume it will be the same there.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
To what he said though you either get a smooth 30 with graphics or 60. I'm honestly of the opinion that you are doing yourself a disfavor by playing this in performance mode.

Hmm, I'll see for myself but so far this is never the case. I tried Demon's Souls, Spiderman, Valhalla, etc. in both modes and it looks so choppy in comparison at 30 fps, maybe my OLED makes it worse but it's bad.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've mostly been playing in Performance mode because it just feels better and looks so smooth. Raytracing looks hella nice at times, though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dualsense stuff is really nice. Good implementation of the controller and haptics continues to impress. I hope more 3rd party developers utilize these features.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
On XSX here and the game is super smooth and the RT is amazing. People must have rose tinted glasses on with the way the game ran and looked on last gen. It wasn't ugly per say but there were definitely problems and the performance was garbage dipping into the low twenties and sometimes below. Remedy did an awesome job with this update.

Are you noticing the I/O related stutter like the article mentions ?

Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) is present. We'll cover this in more depth in a separate piece with more detailed analysis.

Oct 25, 2017
I played this at 4k60 with rt on pc and it was an incredible experience. I bought the ps5 version and it sucks the rt option doesn't have 1080p60 with some rt. 30fps just fuckin sucks imo. And the rt is really great in control.
Will prob just stick to performance mode

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

60fps is too good. Especially having only played through the game on a PlayStation 4 Slim before.

But even the raytracing mode at 30fps feels like a big upgrade in smoothness and response over last gen.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Don't know whether to play with graphics or performance. Is the graphics/RT mode similar to Miles Morales? I played that on Graphics mode and didn't mind the 30fps

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Don't know whether to play with graphics or performance. Is the graphics/RT mode similar to Miles Morales? I played that on Graphics mode and didn't mind the 30fps
Try both and see for yourself. I think the 30 is more than worth the trade off of having the RT. The RT also becomes more and more prevalent as you get further along. Having said that the 60 felt smooth from what little I played with it but not worth the graphical hit IMO.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
oooooooh i didn't know the ps5 upgrade would have haptic feedback too!

i'm glad i didn't get too far in the original version. trying out graphics mode for now.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so after playing it a bit it does look a fair bit better than what's shown in the videos/running the game in BC mode (who wudda thunk). But I'm still of the opinion that they could at the very least touched up the character models with higher resolution textures and given the game a wash of AA. Performance mode is the way to go, though. So much more motion clarity.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I forget which RT setting it was on PC but it produced some pretty awful looking dithering and "static", so the fact that most of the RT is toned down or off is probably a good thing. It's too bad that even THAT doesn't let the PS5 version crank up other specs, but at least it looks passable and is playable, which iirc it was pretty terrible on PS4.
The dither you are speaking of was only at launch when using diffuse lighting - they changed the denoiser since then and it it no longer dithers.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm curious to see how this pans out. I do feel that something like a teleport system from R&C just wouldn't exist in a muliplatform/cross gen game for the simple reason that such a game needs to be playable off of a HDD, and you can't really have 20 second load pauses in teleport "jumps". So you either don't have something like that in the game, or you demand an M2 drive on the PC, and no PS4/XOne version of the game.

Of course, very fast load times between levels will be utilized in 3rd party games, like they are here, where the game loads even faster than I assume Alex's very high-end PC.
I think there will be a time in which SSD will be the minimum requirements. We already see games needing a SSD, when the user wants to play with higher settings, because more data is streamed. Just like with everything else (CPU, GPU, RAM) the requirements will go up over time.
You really think a 3rd party dev is going to take the time to optimize their game's loading/asset streaming for 3 different platforms/architectures?
What different architecture? The PS5 SSD isn't some new storage technology. It's pretty straightforward and to be easy for developers is even one of Cerny ultimate design goals. I don't know why people think it will be so different to optimize for PS5 SSD compared to Xbox or PC. The decompression Oddle for example is usable on every plattform.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Smh I just found out my PS4 Saves won't transfer man fuck this, I'm on the last mission on PS4 was waiting to play it and the rest of DLC on the PS5 version smh.

Un-top of paying for it, only to be announce free on PS5. I'm just going to finish the last mission via BC no way am starting fresh, got limited time and way too invested on my PS4 save.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Had the game installed for a few weeks on Xbox Series X, it was just a 272 MB file...kept waiting for it to update to the full game. Ended up uninstalling that, and then downloading it again, and now it's the full 42 GB install!

I am in the US, by the way. Just waiting for it to finish downloading it, hoping I can play it tonight.

OhK1S93.jpg

Pretty weird about such a huge file size difference between the versions

image0.jpg

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. On PS5 in quality mode you have very soft image IQ, low geometry character models, very dithered shadows, last gen looking hair all sacrificed so that I can see the reflection of my character in a coffee pot if I stop and squint at it?

What I mean to say is that there are far more obvious distractions that detract from the presentation than imperfect reflections.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it. On PS5 in quality mode you have very soft image IQ, low geometry character models, very dithered shadows, last gen looking hair all sacrificed so that I can see the reflection of my character in a coffee pot if I stop and squint at it?

What I mean to say is that there are far more obvious distractions that detract from the presentation than imperfect reflections.

Summing up ray tracing as imperfect reflections is quite reductive. In many scenes the impact of ray tracing is transformative and for many people that is preferable to various other details being of lower fidelity.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Played a couple hours with the RT mode and the game looks really good. There's some clear alias as with Miles Morales 1440p/60 with RT, but it's a decent comprise because this games looks gorgeous.

Nov 8, 2017
The dither you are speaking of was only at launch when using diffuse lighting - they changed the denoiser since then and it it no longer dithers.

On pc right now, some reflective / shiny surfaces have a "speckled" pattern on them that is very distracting. I first noticed it leaving the office with the lady in it at the main hq area.

So you know what that's about? I played yesterday so it's not a launch thing for sure.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
Played the PC version at launch on a 1080 and it struggled to hit 60 FPS on medium settings at 1080p. The fact that I can do 60FPS at 1440p on a PS5 blows my mind.

Messed around with the RT mode and the motion blur is giving me headaches. Love the sense of immersion, but I'll be sticking with 60FPS for this play through.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Watching the DF video it literally looks like they took the last gen version adjusted the resolutions/framerate and patched in ray tracing. Not really the overhaul they implied they were doing when it got delayed. The overly aggressive LOD i think was to get around streaming limitations of last gen and should have been improved with this version yet it wasnt.

Oh well. I played the gamepass version and enjoyed it. I would probably recommend performance mode for current gen players. I thought the game looked nice even without RT and while 30fps feels smooth they used a very heavy motion blur. Takes a while to get used to and one of my biggest gripes with the visuals.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
An extra mode focused on a different set of parameters would have been nice. As it is and knowing about the peculiarities in this engine, both next-gen versions seem to do a good job. Performance mode is a revelation coming from previous consoles.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The auto HDR implementation on the non-collectors edition was decent IMO. Sad to see they(not MS?) have disabled it.
Auto-HDR doesn't work for SX games. I would assume that the processing power reserved for auto-HDR is used for game performance which is obviously something not really needed with BC games. Remedy hasn't implemented HDR into their engine yet which is why Control doesn't have it.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The overly aggressive LOD i think was to get around streaming limitations of last gen and should have been improved with this version yet it wasnt.
The assumption that pop-in is due to hard drive speed needs to die in a fire. We will continue to see plenty of LoD transitions throughout the gen and it is done for performance reasons.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Watching the DF video it literally looks like they took the last gen version adjusted the resolutions/framerate and patched in ray tracing.
Because the "last gen" version was widely agreed to be, effectively, a next-gen game crammed onto old consoles that ran terribly as a result. Now it's just a current-gen game.