• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Why not? That's how every video game up to this point has done it. It wouldn't feel (nearly) seamless like it does on PS5, but it would still be perfectly playable.
It would be silly, which is why no game really tried anything like that. Just imagine how that sequence where they jump through like 5 worlds consecutively would play out if you had to wait 20 seconds between each jump? It looks like a fun rollercoaster ride the way it is now, and it would be a terrible slog otherwise.
Now this is pure speculation, but I can also imagine that the R&C game will have some kind of dimension gun where you can jump between worlds by shooting it, and I can't see how anyone would seriously entertain that design if you had to wait 20 seconds every time you fire such a gun.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I played it on the PS4 (PS Now), but there is no way I won't be playing it in 60 fps. RT isn't worth it, unless you do what Insomniac did with Spider-Man (how I played it).

I'm hoping we'll see more of that. Compromised RT, but still there and at 60 fps and a lower res. That's the way to go, IMO!

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what does geforce now servers run these things on nowadays, do we know? did they move to 3000 series?
last i tried stream was limited to 1080p too.
wasn't that hot on 4k tv even with rt on etc.

It depends on the game. They are still on the 2000 series at best.
They habe 1070, 2060 and 2080 rigs with varying VRAM configs. The best is a 2080 with 14GB.
I only use it on my phone, 1080p TV or Macbook Pro so I am fine with 1080p streaming.

It looks pretty damn good though. Ignore the settings because it really is unfair to judge it based on that. Ray tracing is extremely demanding and not to mention other things going on.

I am sure it does and after the PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 gen, I am used to play the graphically less console versions already.
But now with Geforce Now and cheap PC games, I could just stream more impressive versions cheaply.

It's "free" though and I am curious how the Dualsense feels in a shooter, the bit I experienced it in Worms was nice.

I would honestly expect the visual difference between streaming and local rendering to be more noticeable than low settings vs. high settings rendered locally, but I haven't personally used Geforce Now, so I dunno.

The amount of physics objects and effects flying around the screen in combat seems like the kind of thing that would make compression artifacts more obvious.

You have never even used it and try to downplay it🙄
Geforce Now is pretty good for me, playing Cyberpunk 2077 on RT ultra settings on a 65" 1080p plasma and it looks breath

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the vid and holy wow the RT makes this game gorgeous. The settings are a bit disappointing, but I'm wondering What's the GPU and settings that can run this at 1440p60 or 1440p30 with RT?

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Are people simply reacting to a settings screenshot instead of watching the video. What are people expecting from these consoles, we have a demanding game, which still looks great running at a stable frame rate on console.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I know what they told.
But what was shown clearly highlighted the fact that the game's visual are in fact not the same on PS5 as on PC.
This is absolutely visible in all of the comparisons.

Where "absolutely" means "relatively small" in practical terms which is what they said, what you claimed they didn't say. No one said it's identical to PC, but it's pretty good and certainly not disappointing like many people here claim.

I have no idea what you mean by "platform warring". It's the subject of this thread, a comparison between PS5, PS4 and PC.

Ok, let me tell you what I mean by platform warring. Platform warring on this forum is when Playstation fans claim Xbox has no games, when Xbox fans claim 12 is two times bigger than 10 and when PC fans claim that if you see a lower resolution reflection on a glass at 200% zoom and it's not 120fps, it's "disappointing".

The only problem is, for the first two cases you get warnings and bans, but in the third case, you get by because "all you're saying is that clearly it's not the same". This place has double standards when it comes to this.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Calling Control a 'last gen' game is a copout. I haven't seen any recent games with the type of environmental destruction Control offers. Not to mention Ray Tracing. It is 'last gen' only in that it came out during that time period.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I'm currently playing control on a laptop with integrated graphics so this looks pretty good to me.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Just watched the vid and holy wow the RT makes this game gorgeous. The settings are a bit disappointing, but I'm wondering What's the GPU and settings that can run this at 1440p60 or 1440p30 with RT?

Without utilizing DLSS, 1440p30 with RT = 2060 Super, 1440p60 without RT = 2070 super. With DLSS you could drop down a tier for each.

That's according to wccftech anyway.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Tried this on XSX (already owned the UE) as not showing for me on PS5 yet.

It's pretty jaggy in the 60fps mode. Especially in motion, I'm wondering if reconstruction is used to achieve the 1440p as the picture definitely breaks up more and jaggies become obvious as you move the camera etc. That aside, the framerate seems locked to 60fps albeit difficult to confirm for sure due to VRR. Look forward to trying the PS5 version to compare tomorrow.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I forget which RT setting it was on PC but it produced some pretty awful looking dithering and "static", so the fact that most of the RT is toned down or off is probably a good thing. It's too bad that even THAT doesn't let the PS5 version crank up other specs, but at least it looks passable and is playable, which iirc it was pretty terrible on PS4.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Tried this on XSX (already owned the UE) as not showing for me on PS5 yet.

It's pretty jaggy in the 60fps mode. Especially in motion, I'm wondering if reconstruction is used to achieve the 1440p as the picture definitely breaks up more and jaggies become obvious as you move the camera etc. That aside, the framerate seems locked to 60fps albeit difficult to confirm for sure due to VRR. Look forward to trying the PS5 version to compare tomorrow.
I thought this was not being released until tomorrow (as far as the Next Gen update)?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Calling Control a 'last gen' game is a copout. I haven't seen any recent games with the type of environmental destruction Control offers. Not to mention Ray Tracing. It is 'last gen' only in that it came out during that time period.
It only kits scraped it over the line for being playable on the base consoles, so yeah, calling it last gen is a bit of a stretch.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Had the game installed for a few weeks on Xbox Series X, it was just a 272 MB file...kept waiting for it to update to the full game. Ended up uninstalling that, and then downloading it again, and now it's the full 42 GB install!

I am in the US, by the way. Just waiting for it to finish downloading it, hoping I can play it tonight.

OhK1S93.jpg

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The 30 fps is actually feels way smoother on PS5 than it ever did on the pro. Also they tweaked the aiming and the deadzones. The game is a lot more responsive even in 30 fps mode. There was an input delay in the lastgen versions which doesnt seems to be here

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The 30 fps is actually feels way smoother on PS5 than it ever did on the pro. Also they tweaked the aiming and the deadzones. The game is a lot more responsive even in 30 fps mode. There was an input delay in the lastgen versions which doesnt seems to be here

Great! I think I'll play it in this mode.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Had the game installed for a few weeks on Xbox Series X, it was just a 272 MB file...kept waiting for it to update to the full game. Ended up uninstalling that, and then downloading it again, and now it's the full 42 GB install!

I am in the US, by the way. Just waiting for it to finish downloading it, hoping I can play it tonight.

OhK1S93.jpg
Someone said the PS5 version is only like 25GB. I wonder why?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think we're entering a golden era where it's hard to get mad when a "low" setting gets you this.

Think what it got you 10 years ago.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
No, only played the performance mode. I don't do 30fps lol.
lmao....yeah I get that. I been playing a ton of 60fps games on both PS5/Series X and when I go to a 30fps it can be jarring...but it also depends on how they implement it. But yeah...these new consoles are spoiling many of us with the 60fps.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I forget which RT setting it was on PC but it produced some pretty awful looking dithering and "static", so the fact that most of the RT is toned down or off is probably a good thing. It's too bad that even THAT doesn't let the PS5 version crank up other specs, but at least it looks passable and is playable, which iirc it was pretty terrible on PS4.
RT GI setting introduces noisy indirect shadows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=879&v=blbu0g9DAGA

For whatever reason, 30FPS really felt pretty bad in this game on Pro, even in an empty rooms, where I'm sure the framerate actually was 30, and it was evenly paced. It was hard for me to pinpoint why, but I suspect it's due to the kind of motion blur it uses, and a more sudden camera acceleration it had..

Last edited:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Auto HDR won't work on the Series X version or will it? It's a shame there isn't native support for HDR, Control seems perfect for it.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Played this on PS4 Pro. Will probably do the raytracing mode, since during my play through (LOVED the game, fun platinum too), I was saying to my friends "this game screams raytracing".

But that 60fps footage too....

I am glad to hear the haptics and adaptive triggers are excellent!! I am excited to play the game's dlc.

Have people been able to do the workaround where their save from the Control original PS4 can move to Control Ultimate PS4 to Control Ultimate on PS5?

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I wonder if there is gonna be a "big" difference between the PS5 and Series X version. Maybe higher resolution on Series X, like it was the case on Hitman 3?

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
The game has great visuals on PC, but it was my GOTY because I adored the world building, art design, and gameplay.

So yeah, it might not look quite as crisp. Still a hell of a game that you should not miss.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Auto HDR won't work on the Series X version or will it? It's a shame there isn't native support for HDR, Control seems perfect for it.
It's Disabled.
60fps mode for the with.

Framerate is actually unlocked in Ray Tracing Photo mode , it is surprisingly smooth outside of combat

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being able to switch between RT off and on showed me how subtle RT is. I wouldn't say it looks better with it on, just different. If DF didnt point this stuff out with 200% zooms I wouldnt notice it.

Game looks really soft on PS5 too.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Have people been able to do the workaround where their save from the Control original PS4 can move to Control Ultimate PS4 to Control Ultimate on PS5?
The Ultimate Edition on PS4 automatically uses your regular edition save file, no problem there.

But as I understand it, the PS5 version creates a new save file and can never import a PS4 save file from either edition.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Some quick Xbox Series X screenshots. I should note that they are at 1080p because my TV is 1080p.

Performance mode:
t4jLv9M.png

Graphics mode:
ZvEqY8p.png

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Series X version is live in the US. I could download it and give some impressions but I'm ultimately going to wind up doing this playthrough on the PS5 version because of the Dualsense stuff.