• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Amazing how many people drop in here, see the one PC settings screenshot and post a "lmao" or "wow" without watching the video. Honestly, I've come to expect that the first page of replies for any thread like this are just useless.

Watch the video. The PS5 version, by most accounts, looks and runs great, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Pro versions.

And it's not like Control is a "typical" game, by any means. Its rendering tech is crazy CPU-hungry, compared to other TPS titles.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
People get so hung up on labels like 'low' and 'ultra' when there isn't any standardization for them. Judge the game as it looks on your screen, not on what the PC version called a given setting.
Yep. If it hadn't been for the pc setting comparison, people would have been happy with this version.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I don't think people here realize how intensive "low" is for PC settings.

that image on the front page should be removed. It does nothing for this thread except garbage drive by comments.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just not a fan of AI upscaling. I want real details and not AI imagined ones.
Not having that means devs need to put more work in to optimize the game better which leads to a better endresult. It's kinda like dynamic res. God do I hate that Dynamic res is a thing. Not on the big consoles, they handle that fairly well, but on the Switch dynamic res gives me the feeling that many devs actually rather slap dynamic res onto a game instead of getting the work in and optimize the game for the platform. It sometimes feels like the easy solution, the easy way out.
And I'm scared DLSS is something that could lead to the same direction. Why optimize the game when you can just slap the AI upscaler on it? That maybe works pretty ok but will never be the same as the real resolution.
And with the right team, the right work and motivation, you can do literal f'n wonders on Consoles, which the last 2 years of last gen clearly showed us.

I know it's a weird kind of thinking, but I'm sceptical and what I saw so far from DLSS hasn't really convinced me so far.
This reads like you have no idea how game development works. Especially your belief that you just "slap dynamic res" on a game and "call it a day". It's pretty misguided, and the sheer amount of work it takes to optimize a game even with dynamic resolution scaling / temporal upsampling shouldn't be discounted. Honestly, your take here borders closely on "lazy dev" rhetoric and it's flat-out wrong.

Teams still spend a massive amount of time working on pipeline and engine optimizations, dynamic res scaling or not. Games will always continue to be optimized outside of considerations for AI upscaling, but even if they were to take on AI upscaling as a core pillar of their rendering pipeline (should the tech be sufficiently widely available on consumer hardware), why would this be a bad thing? The produced results are often as good if not better than native rendering.

Development teams have an immense amount of workload today, anything that alleviates that workload is a plus and should be treated as such.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
The negative energy in this thread (and the Hitman 3 thread)... Just wow.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I am a PC and console gamer. The problem with showing the graphic of PS5 using a lot of low settings is it paint a misleading picture, many of these settings have an absolutely minimal and sometimes entirely negligible impact on visual quality. This can be seen in the comparison screenshots in the article, the game doesn't actually look that different across specs. The main visual downgrades are lower internal resolution (e.g., pixelated hair) and lower resolution RT reflections.
Indeed

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wish I could pre install like on my series x, cant wait to play it tomorrow though, I liked what little I played on gamepass .Johns video about to be a blood bath...

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
A last gen game and this is what they can do with the new hardware?
I mean...even the 30fps mode can go down to 27fps in some moments like explosions close to the camera.

What engine did they use for this?

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited to play this on PS+. Lol I watched the video and came away impressed, come here and its your typical dog show. That guy couldn't wait to post that pic.

Remedy imo never had a great engine, they are doing impressive things but the end result is usually artifacts and blurriness. While usually I would go straight to performance mode, I feel this game is made for RT so I'll play in Graphics mode. They did a good job with the port if you actually watch the vid.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I played the game without any raytracing on PC, and still enjoyed it a ton. The fact that the console is doing a little ray tracing with solid FPS seems good. It's not a game that was made for this generation, it's still a port of the old code.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...even the 30fps mode can go down to 27fps in some moments like explosions close to the camera.

"last gen" is a pretty meaningless term. The 'last gen' versions of the game looked night and day different than the PC version, which still would kick the shit out of new consoles.

Control is a very demanding game with extremely good bells and whistles.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is not just AI upscaling. DLSS uses real information from past and current frames. It is actually how the pixels are supposed to look in the best case. The part the AI is doing in DLSS 2.0 is not imagining what the image is supposed to look like. The AI is controlling how to merge information from previous frames into the current one without the errors introduced by normal temporal anti-aliasing.

It is not imagining pixels like a more typical offline AI upscaler.
this is worse than my rx 5700xt...mind you no ray tracing, but this should still not be this bad
1440p at 60 fps with very few drops on PS5. Higher settings than what they chose? Well then the FPS dips more often below 60.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

that image on the front page should be removed. It does nothing for this thread except garbage drive by comments.
Honestly don't let this stuff get to you. It'll all be irrelevant tomorrow regardless when we can all try the PS5 version out ourselves with Plus. It looks great regardless of the settings, and for those of us who haven't been kidding ourselves that the PS5 is a 2080ti there's no disappointment whatsoever. The only thing I cared about is that the 60fps mode is locked.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Remember not even a year ago when many of us (and DF) didn't believe either next-gen console would support RT?

The tourists in this thread need to pipe down.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Control was a taxing game in 2019 and with RTX it's even worse.

PS5 is using AMD, and we all know AMD RT solution is middling at best.

Not surprising to see low settings are needed to achieve stable framerate at a higer res

There's nothing last gen in Control lol

Take a look at the tech behind the game + RTX and come tell me it's a last gen game.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Game looks good, will give it a go when available.
Why no mention that the game is available on ps+ ? They do for games available on GP.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Is there a future where we could switch modes with a button press? Or the game could do it automatically when you enter combat? I want RT when walking around, but 60 when in combat.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"last gen" is a pretty meaningless term. The 'last gen' versions of the game looked night and day different than the PC version, which still would kick the shit out of new consoles.

Control is a very demanding game with extremely good bells and whistles.

Take a look at the tech behind the game + RTX and come tell me it's a last gen game.

This is true. My PS4 Pro almost died to render the game. Every time i left the menu it would freeze for a second as well lmao.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Display resolution does not affect performance, it's just to what res the game will output to (4K). Render resolution is what you're thinking of, that's 1440p
Not really how that works, render resolution is all that matters. Output resolution at 4K just means UI elements are in 4K, the rest of the 3D pipeline is at 1440p. Changing display resolution to 1440p would not make a material difference to performance.

I know how it works, but should have made it more clear. If display is 1440p then render would be likely lower like 1080p. This is assuming they are upscaling like they did with Quantum Break.

Either way I am defering to the developer to choose what results in the best IQ.

Last edited:

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

Yup, there's literally so little difference in some of these settings between low and medium. The game just has a high hardware requirement entry point even at low.

Please tell me if you can tell the difference.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tangentially related, but what does everyone think the odds are of the all but inevitable PS5-Pro and Xbox Series, uh XX(?) having a DLSS-like equivalent as part of their hardware refresh?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not having that means devs need to put more work in to optimize the game better which leads to a better endresult. It's kinda like dynamic res. God do I hate that Dynamic res is a thing. Not on the big consoles, they handle that fairly well, but on the Switch dynamic res gives me the feeling that many devs actually rather slap dynamic res onto a game instead of getting the work in and optimize the game for the platform. It sometimes feels like the easy solution, the easy way out.
And I'm scared DLSS is something that could lead to the same direction. Why optimize the game when you can just slap the AI upscaler on it? That maybe works pretty ok but will never be the same as the real resolution.
And with the right team, the right work and motivation, you can do literal f'n wonders on Consoles, which the last 2 years of last gen clearly showed us.

I know it's a weird kind of thinking, but I'm sceptical and what I saw so far from DLSS hasn't really convinced me so far.
This is a miraculously ignorant post

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Tangentially related, but what does everyone think the odds are of the all but inevitable PS5-Pro and Xbox Series, uh XX(?) having a DLSS-like equivalent as part of their hardware refresh?
AMD is supposedly working on a software solution that's like DLSS. If it works well enough, you might not need to wait for the refresh to see it.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS is an Nvidia owned technology. You won't see it on AMD based consoles.

Now, that's not to say that AMD won't have their own AI upscaling tech on consoles eventually, but it won't be DLSS
I wonder if AI upscaling without bespoke hardware that Nvidia cards have will make any sense tbh. If you can have things like temporal injection on consoles, which brings image quality high enough that no sane person would care that it could be even a bit higher with AI upscaling, and and AI upscaling solution that is nearly as expensive as rendering at a higher native solution (which I expect to be the case without bespoke hardware) - then what's the point of console AI upscaling?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I'm mostly disappointed by the low texture filtering. The rest of those settings are ok, but texture filtering is such a small performance hit for such a good boost to image quality.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I wonder if AI upscaling without bespoke hardware that Nvidia cards have will make any sense tbh. If you can have things like temporal injection on consoles, which brings image quality high enough that no sane person would care that it could be even a bit higher with AI upscaling, and and AI upscaling solution that is nearly as expensive as rendering at a higher native solution (which I expect to be the case without bespoke hardware) - then what's the point of AI upscaling?
That's kind of the question, isn't it? Will a software based solution even make sense in terms of performance gains? I have no idea, but that's on AMD to figure out, not me :P

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty decent chance for the Xbox Series XL to have it since something that was mentioned to be apart of their new tools (forgot the name). PS5 Pro highly unlikely considering Sony has their own very good upscaling tech like temporal injection & CB rendering, which will continue to be improved.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AMD is supposedly working on a software solution that's like DLSS. If it works well enough, you might not need to wait for the refresh to see it.
A software solution simply will never work nearly as well as DLSS does with dedicated cores, especially considering nVidia's efforts in AI. I don't look forward to a software-only solution from AMD as it'll be nothing like what people have grown to expect from DLSS.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I'm mostly disappointed by the low texture filtering. The rest of those settings are ok, but texture filtering is such a small performance hit for such a good boost to image quality.

Yeah it's strange. Even booting up RE3 on PC this weekend in high defaulted to 4x if I recall correctly.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A software solution simply will never work nearly as well as DLSS does with dedicated and bespoke cores, especially considering nVidia's efforts in AI. I don't look forward to a software-only solution from AMD as it'll be nothing like what people have grown to expect from DLSS.
Yeah, Nvidia with their tensor cores really nailed the AI upscaling thing with DLSS. It's gonna be impossible to match that with software.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Watch the video and read the article. The writers are genuinely impressed with the next-gen versions of Control.

You sure wouldn't know that from reading this thread, though. Dang, guys.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing the Series X comparison, whether the added GPU power allows for higher effects or not.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Control's console settings are where I expected them to be, they needed big cuts (compared to a high-end PC + DLSS) if they wanted 60fps or 30fps + RT and that's what happened. The visuals seem mostly intact though if people didn't like how low-resolution some effects in the game normally looks, this won't really help. Distant LOD reduction would probably be distracting to me too. It's also a little difficult to compare PC performance if those custom settings like RT and LOD aren't available due to the updated engine.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020

Indeed. The physics alone firmly put this game in next gen territory. Add what is the most extensive and complex ray tracing of any game with RTX, and you've firmly got a next gen game through and through. Control was/is next gen before next gen even started, lol.

People are looking into these settings way too deeply, and likely without having watched the video first to gather the kind of tone that it presented. Playing this game maxed out on PC, with DLSS, these next gen enhancements still look very, very good to me, and people should be happy. No longer will it run super rough, like it did on last gen machines, and it looks significantly better, also.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the video and read the article. The writers are genuinely impressed with the next-gen versions of Control.

You sure wouldn't know that from reading this thread, though. Dang, guys.
who needs to see the actual game when you have the settings list in front of you

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

You really do not know what you're talking about. I suggest you watch DFs videos on DLSS, e.g. the Death Stranding one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the differences between DLSS and TAA/other AA is more minimal that ray tracing on and off. I know people like to bring up the "will you even notice RT when your playing the game" but it's way the hell more in effect with the difference between DLSS and other AA. to the point were I feel most folks complaining about DLSS is just some sour grapes shit

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh did people actually watch the video? This looks and sounds great according to the video, and I have a hard time figuring out with mode to go with (whenever I get my hands on a ps5). Probably go with the graphics mode on this one as I have not experienced any game with raytracing.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
RT looks really nice for this game on PS5. If I had not experienced this on PC, I'd gladly play through this again with the provided settings.