• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
And it used multi-sampling to display what appeared to be a much higher resolution, yes. QB looks better than Control on base Xbox One and I know that for a fact. The physics in Control drag performance down, as we all know. Some characters and maps have better detail in Quantum Break because of that. Can't speak for PC.

Point is, the console version of Quantum Break was good. And Alan Wake ran perfectly fine on the 360, too, so I don't kpow why you are saying that all Remedy games run badly on console just because Control had frame-rate issues. And this (the EU) isn't even a bad port at all, it's just that consoles need something like DLSS and it's starting to show.
Alan Wake aka 960x540. I said rough console versions, not run badly on consoles since you seem so centered on just framerate.,

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the comparison with the PS4 Pro version it looks like PS5 version is using Pro settings, plus higher resolution/framerate and RT reflections. It looks like just a straight native port without any major optimizations (I am sure Reremy is in full production on their next project with Epic and this is made by a very small team).

Still, it is a good update over the previous-gen version, but personally, I am a little disappointed by what I am seeing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What possesses someone to "not be a fan" of DLSS? Genuinely curious why anyone would take this position.

Consoles badly need AI-powered temporal upscaling. Unfortunately, they will never have a hardware implementation like Tensor cores+DLSS. The benefits of DLSS are clear, and indisputable, and posturing against it for ... reason? is silly.

Just not a fan of AI upscaling. I want real details and not AI imagined ones.
Not having that means devs need to put more work in to optimize the game better which leads to a better endresult. It's kinda like dynamic res. God do I hate that Dynamic res is a thing. Not on the big consoles, they handle that fairly well, but on the Switch dynamic res gives me the feeling that many devs actually rather slap dynamic res onto a game instead of getting the work in and optimize the game for the platform. It sometimes feels like the easy solution, the easy way out.
And I'm scared DLSS is something that could lead to the same direction. Why optimize the game when you can just slap the AI upscaler on it? That maybe works pretty ok but will never be the same as the real resolution.
And with the right team, the right work and motivation, you can do literal f'n wonders on Consoles, which the last 2 years of last gen clearly showed us.

I know it's a weird kind of thinking, but I'm sceptical and what I saw so far from DLSS hasn't really convinced me so far.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen Control on base Xbox One? Because I played that shit. Quantum Break is overall the best performing Remedy game on consoles, unless we count Control on PS5/XSX. Even the One X had problems with Control.
Yes, I did. And I put it aside until I got a One X because I thought it looked horrible at that resolution and with those problems I described.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People out here saying these consoles absolutely need DLSS to do RT reflections when Watch Dogs: Legion has RT reflections in an open world setting on the Series S. By all means, DLSS would definitely give these consoles more power to deal with RT effects, but this isn't the reason Control is performing poorly.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Since they didn't go into the lighting, I assume the raytracing doesn't improve it? Since I'm playing it now and some objects are still brightly lit in dark areas. That's the most disappointing thing since I care about that a hell of a lot more than reflections.

Ray-Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting and Contact Shadows are set to off, and those would improve lighting, shadows and ground objects into scenes: office furniture gains soft shadows; and additional shadows are cast on and around clothes, objects and other game elements.
control-ray-traced-contact-shadows-001-on-all-rt-on.jpg

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Amazing how many people drop in here, see the one PC settings screenshot and post a "lmao" or "wow" without watching the video. Honestly, I've come to expect that the first page of replies for any thread like this are just useless.

Watch the video. The PS5 version, by most accounts, looks and runs great, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Pro versions.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was always enginereed as a PC game: DLSS, Nvidia RTX solution and etc...and that's not gonna land well on a consoles.
As always consoles will shine when first party devs plays around console strenghts and weakness.

Every gen starts like that, with less than flattering PC ports on consoles until the Naugty Dogs and others steps in.

Watch the video. The PS5 version, by most accounts, looks and runs great, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Pro versions.

On ther other hand: that's the minimum you should expect.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'll take 60fps every time over some reflections. Control particularly looks and plays great at that framerate.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the whole video and Alex seems really happy with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
qLO8qVk.png

9.2TF GPU doing work.

If you get your kicks from seeing the word ultra or high, sure this is "disappointing" for those people, but for what RT they supporting with no DLSS style solution in place either, it's pretty reasonable as an option looking at the results. Personally, as with on PC, I'd rather play without RT if 30fps is my only option

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
People surprised by the RT graphics settings, this is just the reality of not having a 'DLSS' on consoles to offset the demanding feature.
The only demanding feature is RT. Give me a quality mode option without RT so I can have the option to not be running on the lowest settings across the board everywhere else.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watched the video first and thought "games looks fantastic, really excited to play it for the first time".

Came to the thread and see it's mostly doom and gloom as usual.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the whole video and Alex seems really happy with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.
Not surprising, the game actually runs quite well for having RT on with a RDNA2 GPU in this game.
I mean, it's the next-gen version of a last-gen game and it's running on almost all Low settings. How can one not be at least a little disappointed?
Look at benchmarks for how it runs on an AMD 6800 (which is 60% more powerful) and it makes sense.
If you were buying a PC today, a RTX 2060 is definitely "mid range" (and that's being generous given it's over 2 years old now) and that's the level of performance we're approaching here.
Stop comparing to Nvidia (which has better RT and DLSS) and start looking at RDNA2 benchmarks for a fair comparison.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You're wrong. Both next-gen consoles do indeed approach high-end PC level performance. Obviously not RTX 3080, $2000 PC level performance, but they're punching WAY above their price point and absolutely compete with gaming PCs that most would consider "high-end".
If you were buying a PC today, a RTX 2060 is definitely "mid range" (and that's being generous given it's over 2 years old now) and that's the level of performance we're approaching here.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Not on the technical side but it's the best trophy tracking PS5 game I've got. Everything that's a collectable has a % attached to it, from tracking how many side missions are done to tracking all 120 collectables and even the trophies in relation to using a certain weapon or something have a % tracker attached to it. It's a fantastic implementation.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, the game actually runs quite well for having RT on with a RDNA2 GPU in this game.

Look at benchmarks for how it runs on an AMD 6800 (which is 60% more powerful) and it makes sense.

Stop comparing to Nvidia (which has better RT and DLSS) and start looking at RDNA2 benchmarks for a fair comparison.
Point is, the performance doesn't make sense on either PC or console. The unfortunate reality is that modern Remedy games run like garbage.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wonder how many people watched the video and thought the game looked bad before seeing those PC settings.
The examples that the video gave of ps5 Vs PC seemed quite minimal. Background circles being slightly less circular etc and weren't a big deal.

For Me, the overall difference between PS4 Pro and ps5 graphics mode were big, the lighting differences were great and would make a huge difference in a moment to moment perspective.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's the next-gen version of a last-gen game and it's running on almost all Low settings. How can one not be at least a little disappointed?

Because there's context for all situations and Control seems like a complex game to port? Even the guy doing the actual analysis video of this game seemed really happy with the results so I'm really not sure why everyone is bagging on this game because of that PC settings screenshot

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
it's almost like it's reflecting wrong geometry, although i didn't think RT could do that?
RT traces into a separate thing (called the BVH). That can have lower quality models, or culled models, etc as you notably see in Spider-Man and Miles Morales in performance RT mode. Looks like there's a different texture on the door in the BVH to my eye. Probably just an oversight or bug.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Ignoring that screenshot of specs, I watched the video and just thought it looks incredible at 60fps. Seems like a very resource heavy game that isn't optimised well on any hardware, so to have smooth 60fps and some nice next-gen bells and whistles will do for me.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 performance or quality mode?

Unrelated to your question, but it's funny. I was thinking about Parasite Eve 2 today for some reason, and now I see your profile picture. Maybe the universe is telling me there'll be a port or remaster soon :p

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Boy do i hope the XSX doesn´t have one more Setting on Medium, lest ERA breaks down under the weight of the inevitable "120 pages in 5 Minutes" thread.

The PC-Comparison is at the same time understandable and a tad disappointing, both can be true

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am a PC and console gamer. The problem with showing the graphic of PS5 using a lot of low settings is it paint a misleading picture, many of these settings have an absolutely minimal and sometimes entirely negligible impact on visual quality. This can be seen in the comparison screenshots in the article, the game doesn't actually look that different across specs. The main visual downgrades are lower internal resolution (e.g., pixelated hair) and lower resolution RT reflections.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Really disappointing they're charging for the upgrade. Not that it wasn't work to get it working on next gen but no upgrade path is still such a bummer.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Looking forward to trying out the upgrade tomorrow on my Xbox Series X! I bought the Ultimate Edition during the holiday sale.

I'll probably also try it on PlayStation 5 when I eventually get one. Glad I don't have rebuy it there thanks to it being free on Plus. I bought the original disc version on PlayStation 4 along with the DLC a while back, and it sucked that it wouldn't get an upgrade.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Not having that means devs need to put more work in to optimize the game better which leads to a better endresult. It's kinda like dynamic res. God do I hate that Dynamic res is a thing. Not on the big consoles, they handle that fairly well, but on the Switch dynamic res gives me the feeling that many devs actually rather slap dynamic res onto a game instead of getting the work in and optimize the game for the platform. It sometimes feels like the easy solution, the easy way out.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Disappointing port. No excuses for low settings. Lazy. But will play for 60fps goodness

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not a fan of DLSS either. As an option it's great but it really leads quite often to some weird looking games, at least when used at 1440p.

If consoles go down that road I hope it's only reserved as an optional toggle for ray tracing and doesn't become a characteristic of these systems in general.