• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong. Both next-gen consoles do indeed approach high-end PC level performance. Obviously not RTX 3080, $2000 PC level performance, but they're punching WAY above their price point and absolutely compete with gaming PCs that most would consider "high-end".

Clearly, as we see here. The laws of physics were meant to be broken!

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
No it doesn't need artificial generated details.
It simply needs a better optimisation or devs who can simply do it better.
But that's just my personal opinion, not a fan of DLSS.

In general, watching the video now and the game looks really soft and blurry. Not having real 4K here doesn't do it any favor. I don't know if I would say that for every game, but in this one I would definitely, easily trade of the ray tracing for better resolution (and maybe higher settings, look at all the low settings, wtf), without even blinking, no brainer.

Yep it's your opinion. I'm going back to my PC with RT Max and DLSS 2.0.
It's a new tech and a fantastic one. These consoles need it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the resolution will be a little bit higher, but mostly the same. If PS5 is running in this settings, I'm curious to see how Series S will run it.
Same exact settings according to DF with some I/O stutters seen on Xbox.
There's feature parity between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X
Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) is present.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
The game did not perform well on base PS4, so at the least, if you're getting it on Plus, this would be a nice improvement. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I thought it fizzled out near the end, and the best encounters were optional, so that was a bit bizarre.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
qLO8qVk.png

9.2TF GPU doing work.

I'm no game dev however having played on a 2060 Super (admittedly at only 1080p) with all the bells and whistles on....those settings seem lower than what I feel the console can actually handle.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling really sorry for the people who double-dipped on the Ultimate Edition for the next-gen upgrades only to end up with a bad port job. This game was awfully optimized for last-gen consoles, so I'm not surprised it's awfully optimized for the new consoles as well.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Fuck sake, I was hoping for a settings bump across the board with all the added power the next gen consoles bring.

Feels like we are getting a better running and not much better looking, XBX version on ps5 and XBSX.

30fps mode out for me then, fuck it. Might as well play this at 1440p 60fps on ps5

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm just happy the framerate is a lot better. Playing this at launch on a PS4 Pro was rough man. So much slowdown.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
There's no indication that the settings are identical, just the feature set (30fps with Ray Tracing and 60fps without for Series X) is with similar performance to the PS5 version.

The full quote is:
We'll be talking specifically about performance in a different piece. Thus far, we've only played PS5 with the day one patch, but we have taken a look at Xbox Series consoles with gold master code. On PlayStation 5, the 60fps mode is mostly solid, with slowdown only really manifesting in the most effects-heavy combat, where the screen is filled with taxing effects work. Meanwhile, the RT mode at a capped 30fps is consistent, properly frame-paced and sticks doggedly to its target for the vast majority of play with only minor deviations. Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) is present. We'll cover this in more depth in a separate piece with more detailed analysis.

Best to wait for Tom's video before we make any hard statements around configuration settings. Also interesting that the PS5 version is a day 1 patch whilst they compared the Gold Master for Xbox, not clear if there will also be a day 1 patch and if there is, if it tackles the stuttering.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What's the verdict on performance mode v. quality mode? I was planning to play this in performance mode but then saw the cool reflections and other bits and pieces and thought.... maybe I should play it in quality mode. I haven't played the game at all yet, waiting for the nextgen patch.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't need artificial generated details.
It simply needs a better optimisation or devs who can simply do it better.
But that's just my personal opinion, not a fan of DLSS.

In general, watching the video now and the game looks really soft and blurry. Not having real 4K here doesn't do it any favor. I don't know if I would say that for every game, but in this one I would definitely, easily trade of the ray tracing for better resolution (and maybe higher settings, look at all the low settings, wtf), without even blinking, no brainer.
What possesses someone to "not be a fan" of DLSS? Genuinely curious why anyone would take this position.

Consoles badly need AI-powered temporal upscaling. Unfortunately, they will never have a hardware implementation like Tensor cores+DLSS. The benefits of DLSS are clear, and indisputable, and posturing against it for ... reason? is silly.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
People surprised by the RT graphics settings, this is just the reality of not having a 'DLSS' on consoles to offset the demanding feature.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the verdict on performance mode v. quality mode? I was planning to play this in performance mode but then saw the cool reflections and other bits and pieces and thought.... maybe I should play it in quality mode. I haven't played the game at all yet, waiting for the nextgen patch.
I personally think quality mode is the way to go. Wayyy too many improvements to ignore, especially when the 60fps mode is solid, but not locked.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Is this just the PS4 Pro version with typical BC improvements (max Pro dynamic res, locked or better frame rate), or have they actually specifically tweaked the PS5 version?
A lot of the settings do seem like they could've been carried over from last gen.

I wonder if they just focused on adding RT for their quality mode and raised the fps cap to 60 for their performance mode and called it a day.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Since they didn't go into the lighting, I assume the raytracing doesn't improve it? Since I'm playing it now and some objects are still brightly lit in dark areas. That's the most disappointing thing since I care about that a hell of a lot more than reflections.

At least it runs well. No more sub-10FPS fights like what I experienced on base PS4.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see them stable framerates 👌 .
Don't really understand why the base settings/Non-RT overall couldn't be medium (filtering etc.), but if that meant that there would be no stable framerate I would understand.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I watched the video and didn't look like there was a verdict. Depends on what's more important to you. Both options run very stable.

So it's 60fps or ray-tracing. Up to you.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with performance mode for now. I'm up to the hotline chamber but I wasn't blown away by the ray tracing + 30 fps on quality mode.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Overall the settings are fine by themselves, the problem is those consoles not having an up to par solution like DLSS.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
And most of the people I know who played this game on PC played it with the extra help of DLSS too. Honestly seems like they did a good job for the amount of people working on it 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Expecting this to run like a on 3080 with top of the line CPU + DLSS is unrealistic. I think they made the right compromises with both options.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think quality mode is the way to go. Wayyy too many improvements to ignore, especially when the 60fps mode is solid, but not locked.
I watched the video and didn't look like there was a verdict. Depends on what's more important to you. Both options run very stable.

So it's 60fps or ray-tracing. Up to you.
I'm going with performance mode for now. I'm up to the hotline chamber but I wasn't blown away by the ray tracing + 30 fps on quality mode.

"resetera.gif" Damnit!

Haha, I was leaning towards quality mode but I might just toggle it on and off early on to see what makes the biggest impact for me. Thanks!

Kureizu

Oct 27, 2017
Alicante, Spain.
Performance mode seems to struggle more than I hoped in heavy fights. For some reason I assumed it would be locked 60fps with no RT and I shouldn't have done that. A bit disappointing, especially after looking at those graphics settings. AMD really needs their own DLSS type tech.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Clearly, as we see here. The laws of physics were meant to be broken!
Maybe we should compare these results to AMD GPU's instead of Nvidia ones considering AMD GPU's struggle with RT turned on? The 6800 has 1% lows down to 24fps at high settings with RT on at 1440p (average is around 35fps), and it's around 60% more powerful than the PS5 so I'm going to say the consoles are doing just fine considering what they're working with.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck sake, I was hoping for a settings bump across the board with all the added power the next gen consoles bring.

Feels like we are getting a better running and not much better looking, XBX version on ps5 and XBSX.

30fps mode out for me then, fuck it. Might as well play this at 1440p 60fps on ps5

I mean Spiderman has already shown that this is not true. Also Valhalla and Call Of Duty have shown, that if a game is optimized, the differences between LG and NG is incredible.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
And it used multi-sampling to display what appeared to be a much higher resolution, yes. QB looks better than Control on base Xbox One and I know that for a fact. The physics in Control drag performance down, as we all know. Some characters and maps have better detail in Quantum Break because of that. Can't speak for PC.

Point is, the console version of Quantum Break was good. And Alan Wake ran perfectly fine on the 360, too, so I don't kpow why you are saying that all Remedy games run badly on console just because Control had frame-rate issues. And this (the EU) isn't even a bad port at all, it's just that consoles need something like DLSS and it's starting to show.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want to wait until I finally nail down a 3080 to play my PC copy, I think I'll just bite on this version since it's being offered to me free. The odds of coming across a 3080 in the wild I'm getting the sense is just not happening this year.