• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The video and article mostly covers the PS5 version as that's the on DF have played so far.

Remedy's Control is one of our favourite games of 2019 - a state of the art experience that embraces the future of rendering technology, using cutting-edge rasterisation techniques and a superb workout for hardware-accelerated real-time ray tracing. And now the game is coming to next-gen consoles. We've had an exclusive look at the final game and we're excited to share our thoughts with you!

---

Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Control Ultimate Edition - how next-gen consoles transform a classic game

Remedy's Control has a special place in the collective heart of Digital Foundry. Not only is it one of the best games o…

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
User warned: Trolling, Console wars
qLO8qVk.png

9.2TF GPU doing work.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Best news is the performance is solid in both modes. Still, I'll probably only be playing at 60fps.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I presume the settings are the same for the performance mode - just without the 2 RT settings?

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
It's a small team working on too many platforms it was never going to be the best optimized game considering the tech

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Even on PC, Control is still a pretty taxing game. Seems they really did a bang up job. Performance for both modes is looking lovely.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks great to me, since the game is still quite a benchmark on PC when you strip away DLSS, which console doesn't have (console does have a pretty good alternative reconstruction mode though).

I Platinumed the game at launch on PS4 Pro and I think I'll replay it plus the DLC with the PS+ copy of Ultimate Edition. I really enjoyed the game.

I do wonder how the Series X version is faring too -- not much difference from PS5, I'd guess.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Remedy's engine is resource hungry, no wonder they couldn't squeeze the RT to go at 60 fps. At least it's stable in both modes.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly ... really disappointing. Holy shit.

There are always compromises with console games. How is this any different from any other generation? You're still getting a decent looking product, it's just not going to approach any high end PC despite what Sony's marketing arm tells you. The best place to play multiplats is pretty much always going to be PC.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are always compromises with console games. How is this any different from any other generation? You're still getting a decent looking product, it's just not going to approach any high end PC despite what Sony's marketing arm tells you.
This is a massive compromise on a PC game that came out in 2019 running on bleeding-edge consoles released in 2020.

I'm quite aware consoles don't measure up to high-end PCs, it's still disappointing quite how much needs to be compromised in this particular game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

No it doesn't need artificial generated details.
It simply needs a better optimisation or devs who can simply do it better.
But that's just my personal opinion, not a fan of DLSS.

In general, watching the video now and the game looks really soft and blurry. Not having real 4K here doesn't do it any favor. I don't know if I would say that for every game, but in this one I would definitely, easily trade of the ray tracing for better resolution (and maybe higher settings, look at all the low settings, wtf), without even blinking, no brainer.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I think a lot of people are expecting too much from a game stuffed with cutting edge tech being developed by a small team for 9 consoles/systems

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this just the PS4 Pro version with typical BC improvements (max Pro dynamic res, locked or better frame rate), or have they actually specifically tweaked the PS5 version?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would prefer Display at 1440p with higher settings, but I assume they decided this looked better.
Not really how that works, render resolution is all that matters. Output resolution at 4K just means UI elements are in 4K, the rest of the 3D pipeline is at 1440p. Changing display resolution to 1440p would not make a material difference to performance.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I knew the consoles wouldn't be able to run it maxed out but I didn't expect to see so many low settings. I'm guessing the larger hit from RT on AMD GPU's is a big part of the reason, the game really goes crazy with RT effects and it looks gorgeous on PC but almost requires DLSS to run well even on Nvidia.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
This just shows how unoptimized their engine is. It's a shame but I'll replay it at 30 fps with RT on probably.

Hope Remedy can improve their pipeline for their next game.

Jul 28, 2020
I guess we'll have to wait a while before they say what's going on with the Series X version? I assume Sony have a deal on the marketing on the update too and Xbox software hasn't been provided? This goes live for everyone tomorrow, right?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are always compromises with console games. How is this any different from any other generation? You're still getting a decent looking product, it's just not going to approach any high end PC despite what Sony's marketing arm tells you. The best place to play multiplats is pretty much always going to be PC.
You're wrong. Both next-gen consoles do indeed approach high-end PC level performance. Obviously not RTX 3080, $2000 PC level performance, but they're punching WAY above their price point and absolutely compete with gaming PCs that most would consider "high-end".

Oct 29, 2017
What did people expect from a game that murders GPUs that are twice the price of a whole console?

I have a 1660 Super currently and I will be playing this on the PS5. That GPU alone costs as much as the PS5 today and will probably won't be much cheaper for quite some time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So how long would it take to finish this game and it's DLC? Gonna try to finish it by this weekend.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I think a lot of people are expecting too much from a game stuffed with cutting edge tech being developed by a small team for 9 consoles/systems
Yeah. The new consoles are absolute beasts, but Control, while damn stunning, is a monster to run. It's a next gen game through and through.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Texture Filtering continuing to be something turned down on console releases? It's basically a zero performance impact setting in PC games. Medium textures is surprising too, that should be a GPU memory hit and not a lot else right?

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
This just shows how unoptimized their engine is. It's a shame but I'll replay it at 30 fps with RT on probably.

Hope Remedy can improve their pipeline for their next game.

Yeah this is disappointing but not because PS5 is not capable. We all expect better but this is just the beginning, it will get better down the road.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll have to wait a while before they say what's going on with the Series X version? I assume Sony have a deal on the marketing on the update too and Xbox software hasn't been provided? This goes live for everyone tomorrow, right?
That's true. It's going to be very interesting to see if the Series X version lands at higher settings. Eager to see a DF analysis/comparison of both next-gen consoles.

Not holding my breath though.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
No DLSS to shore up res after the heavy RT leads to this. I played this with all the goodies on at 90fps~ due to DLSS. Edit: DF did a video on a 2060 and got reasonable performance with DLSS.

Last edited:

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Why are some of us surprised that its not running as well on a system that costs as much as a 2070?
What were you expecting?

Glad it sounds like it runs well. Looks good!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

And most of the people I know who played this game on PC played it with the extra help of DLSS too. Honestly seems like they did a good job for the amount of people working on it 🤷‍♂️