• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wait this is for photomode? Lol, do people really put that much interest in photomode?
DF probably would've tested the gameplay, if there was any way to unlock the framerate while RT is active. But unfortunately there is no way to do this on console. The test is interesting, because it's the first time the ports have the exact same resolution and settings, while offering a unlock framerate. It's a benchmark, nothing else.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Photomode has the same settings as the game in action but has the 30fps cap removed. This comparison shows how the game would run on each console if they took that cap away
Probably, anyway, based on Alex's CPU testing on PC and the games running on last gen consoles, but I think it's fair to point out that in photo mode certain game logic that would run on the CPU may well not be running.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is as the Xbox GDK matures the performance difference most expected before these systems launched will start to become the norm..maybe 15-20% better on Series X for most 3rd party stuff, which of course is nothing Earth shattering..but an advantage nonetheless.

As others have said Im more surprised the loading times are so close, maybe down the line Sony 1st party stuff will load significantly faster than MS' 1st party..obv too early to tell. Either way Series X SSD is certainly no slouch.
That's already the case with first-party stuff. Games like Miles, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, and Astro's Playroom typically have 2-5 seconds load times, which is definitely faster than Series X first-party games (certainly in part because they're not made ONLY for the Series X).

Although, for whatever reason, Series X load times in BC titles are almost always faster than PS5 BC titles.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not pretend like we don't know how these things go.

The issue isn't saying one is beastly or not. That true, hell I think for the money they both are.

It's handpicking screenshots like what was used in that post to make an argument for how there is some sort of great discrepancy between them. The same thing was done in some DF threads where the PS5 had some sort of advantage. Things like that does nothing but take away from what the whole point of the thread is really supposed to be about.
Yeah in the last Control DF thread a poster was warned for cherry-picking a screenshot that basically derailed the thread. I really don't understand why people do this and others quote them with serious replies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's already the case with first-party stuff. Games like Miles, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, and Astro's Playroom typically have 2-5 seconds load times, which is definitely faster than Series X first-party games (certainly in part because they're not made ONLY for the Series X).

Although, for whatever reason, Series X load times in BC titles are almost always faster than PS5 BC titles.
I think the truth of the matter thus far is that the difference in third party games, whether it's load times, resolution, framerates, effects quality, texture quality, shadow quality, ray tracing, etc.. etc.. has been virtually indistinguishable between the PS5 and XSX in the vast majority of circumstances.

That should really be our main take away from the first few months of this generation. And that's a beautiful thing.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I was a browsing reddit when I found this (please focus on the screenshots):

It seems like a nice benchmark but in the end I think it's pointless as a measure of RT power, it needs more parity, I guess. Any opinions?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

It seems like a nice benchmark but in the end I think it's pointless as a measure of RT power, it needs more parity, I guess. Any opinions?

Looks like temporal artifacts. Dictator?

Were you able to confirm that Xsx uses the exact same settings as the PS5?

Edit: Apparently yes.

Last edited:

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

interesting, will look

yusyd17goof61.png

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah in the last Control DF thread a poster was warned for cherry-picking a screenshot that basically derailed the thread. I really don't understand why people do this and others quote them with serious replies.
The point of this thread is literally a perfect case of screenshot cherry-picking as that is what the photomode is about. This lets us benchmark the consoles GPU.....

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm surprised no one mentioned so far that PS5 variable frequency, could be in play here. I'm not saying that it's happening but it potentialy could.

I've watched DF video but unfortunately, they also didn't bring it up.
What are you talking about? The PS5 GPU is working as intended and these are the numbers being presented. That's the whole story.

Klortch

Dec 2, 2017
I always enjoy DF but this analysis was really great. A while back I stopped playing Control on my PS4 Pro when I heard this enhanced version was coming. With this generation I'm getting a Series X before I get a PS5.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
It doesn't work like that. You can't just take outlier examples. The same way we can't reference times when the difference between them was just ONE frame.

The important thing is the average. And it averages out to about a 16% advantage for the XSX. Which is pretty bang on with what a lot of us said the difference would (and should be).

And together refer to that point, I for one said that it would either be a case of 12 - 20% better framerate if the resolution is fixed for the XSX, or t XSX or staying at the peak set resolution between the two 12-20% more of the time if framerate is fixed and DRS is being used.

From the hardware in these two consoles, this is exactly what people should expect to see, its only weird when you see situations where the pS5 outperforms the XSX. In those cases, I would say it has very little to do with the hardware and more to do with the tools/SDK.
Just like we all figured in the PS5 hardware thread, 16-17% average would be the gpu related difference.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Which should never be the priority of any developer imo..VRR is a crutch for inconsistent performance. If a Dev is doing their job well it should not need VRR at all.

I don't know about this. Gsync has been great for me on PC. If I had to lock every game to 60fps I wouldn't be able to play at the settings I'm playing at. If you're locking at 60 then you need to sacrifice a lot in order to have the overhead for demanding moments in the game. I don't understand this absolutist view. VRR is great and should be utilized by those who have it. They should still have a "locked" mode for those who don't of course.

I suppose it's a crutch if that's the only mode you have, but the option should be there for those who want it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that if the game was using some form of resolution scaling and target 1440p60 with RT then XSX would likely run at a higher average resolution than PS5. Not by much but noticeable sometimes.
Which is pretty much what was expected from their specs really.

16% is to be expected based on the TFLOPs of both GPUs.
It is actually almost an exact difference in their peak flops.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The point of the DF video is to put these consoles head to head in a like for like performance scenario. This is literally benchmarking the new consoles.
I don't know why you quoted me there. That's pretty much what I've been saying.

And I'm also saying, that taking the minimum and maximum achieved fps isn't important when comparing two systems together. It's more important comparing the relative/percentage difference between them. As that is what translates to real world gains or losses.

Because we can and will always find outlier situations.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone mentionned in the reddit thread seems more like a delayed reflection more than anything else

BvMVB3O.jpg

Remedy already confirmed that those two versions were exactly identical.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The thickness of the plot has increased.
Not sure if serious. Only one, maybe two comparisons are actually valid and hopefully Dictator posts about this and shares his thought. I think, yes there are some incredible minor diffences, however overall the video was great.

I still think this is the closest we have seen a comparison outside of cutscenes yet, because usually during gameplay the comparisons differ more due to uncontrollable AI and such. Interesting nonless, but I can't deny I juggled a bit, because nobody complains about gameplay finding, which usually differ way more (NPC count, effects, ...) and the fact that in the interest of time DF can't test literally everything and can't replicate everything. No criticism of course towards DF!

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are dozens of minor visual discrepancies between the versions.

I24GKZ.jpg

It's either a bug or just some kind of natural difference between the game versions. The XSX version isn't using VRS either. Also in that "missing reflection" picture, the MC is a step closer on PS5. It could be a draw distance thing or the texture simply didn't load in yet. These little "gotchas" are missing the forest for the trees - for instance, that missing texture isn't going to increase the FPS by so much lol - and just seem to be weird conspiracy theory console warrior stuff although rightfully interesting in their own right.

Last edited:

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
It's possible settings change in photo mode, it's also possible as pointed out by screenshots that PS5 and XSX have different settings in photo mode

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
I dont understand what the issue may be here? It was expected that the XSX would pull ahead in head to heads, all things being equal, as its the more powerful console.

I expected a +15% to +25% differential in expected performance based on target settings. After early issues with the XSX tools we are starting see the power play out.

PS5 exclusives is where we will see the console truly sing imo. Same applies XSX as well, exclusives is where the consoles power is fully utilised.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I dont understand what the issue may be here? It was expected that the XSX would pull ahead in head to heads, all things being equal, as its the more powerful console.

I expected a +15% to +25% differential in expected performance based on target settings. After early issues with the XSX tools we are starting see the power play out.

PS5 exclusives is where we will see the console truly sing imo. Same applies XSX as well, exclusives is where the consoles power is fully utilised.
I don't think there is an issue. Just a benchmark pointing out a performance difference in a game with like for like settings.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS5 exclusives is where we will see the console truly sing imo. Same applies XSX as well, exclusives is where the consoles power is fully utilised
I can't wait what arguably the most talented first party studios in their roster respectively (Naughty Dog, The Coalition, Polyphony Digital and Playground Games) will do.
These little "gotchas" are missing the forest for the trees - for instance, that missing texture isn't going to increase the FPS by so much lol
Yep, I did a longer post earlier, but you can basically use these little gotcha moments all the time, outside of cutscenes then. That's not a dig at DF, because it's impossible to get the same scenarios during gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, pointing those differences out is kinda the point of these threads. However I think this is simply down to slightly different positioning (the reflection in the first pic) and not different settings, because iirc the developers said the settings are the same.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

People want their box to somehow be the most powerful, when it's not. It's what it is and people need to move on from it. Both consoles this gen are freaking amazing and honestly it's great for us.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

That's what's interesting though right? The delta seen in this synthetic benchmark isn't representative of gameplay where the XS consoles stutter and drop frames moderately more significantly than PS5. At least in the examples shown in the initial comparison video.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
That's what's interesting though right? The delta seen in this synthetic benchmark isn't representative of gameplay where the XS consoles stutter and drop frames moderately more significantly than PS5. At least in the examples shown in the initial comparison video.
I would speculate that has nothing to do with GPU/CPU specs. It literally happens when coming out of menus or when text pops up on screen. That's a different issue altogether that seems more like a bug. Normal gameplay sees parity amongst the two consoles.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
My view on all of this: for 3rd party games you will see almost identical performance, even if XSX has say 15% overhead, it wouldn't make sense for any studio to push visual or performance fidelity to take advantage of that: time + resource = money, unless it is as easy as a toggle switch. Most, if not all 3rd party games will target the exact same baseline specs. After 3 or 4 years, when some studios are very confident on their approaches, you might start seeing differences if the resources spent don't cost much.

You will see the most differences from first party efforts, whether its taking advantage of the faster IO, or more compute units. But the problem remains, these will be absolutely different games, so there will never be 1 to 1 comparisons, as hard as platforms like DF try to analyze that. Fanboys of respective platforms will always call their winners based on art-style and other nebulous factors. Unless there is a 3rd party benchmark demo created specifically to utilize every ounce of both platforms, most people will never agree on the measures.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
All games should be using dynamic resolution, a 60FPS mode that scales between 1080p and 1440p would be ideal. Dropping the resolution all the way down to 1080p when it already hits 60 at 1440p in some scenes just seems overkill. I don't understand why games like Control, Resident Evil and Devil May Cry aren't using Dynamic Resolutions.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
We can't just live with the 'Remedy said they are the same' because there are differences in IQ. What's the reason, or if that difference renders the comparison unfair is the question.

On the idea 'Comparisons will never be 1:1', of course they won't, Alex is a human positioning the camera after all. Doesn't mean we shouldn't investigate why there are differences or strive for more closely matched images.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Most, if not all 3rd party games will target the exact same baseline specs. After 3 or 4 years, when some studios are very confident on their approaches, you might start seeing differences if the resources spent don't cost much.
Running DRS don't cost anything. A faster machine will hit higher resolution more often.
Another possibility is to have PS5 running a couple of settings at a lower level like low/med with XSX running at med/high.
Also shouldn't cost much since these are LODs mostly which are being implemented for PC anyway.