• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Another day, another DF Control video.

Did you know that Control's photo mode removes the 30fps cap in the ray traced graphics mode? It opens a window into the kind of overhead (or lack of it, in some cases) left over when a 30fps cap is introduced, but in the case of Control, it also allows us to stack up Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5's RT prowess in precisely matched in-game scenarios. Alex and Rich discuss.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the xsx advantage is too small to make a meaningful deference in games, as was speculated, while ps5 will also has its advantages as we saw in various comparisons

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This video shows the consoles have the overhead to do a 1080p/60 FPS RTS mode if Remedy puts it in with optimizations.

the xsx advantage is too small to make a meaningful deference in games, as was speculated, while ps5 will also has its advantages as we saw in various comparisons

I don't think this is true in this case.

Going by the video, the XSX has an advantage of 3% to 11% to 20% depending on a scene.

aukgccg.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love shit like this (the test is obviously no use in terms of gameplay or how we interact with the game - like they say, it's a purely academic benchmark) and it looks like a huge amount of work. I'm watching the video now!

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is true in this case.

Going by the video, the XSX has an advantage of 3% to 11% to 20% depending on a scene.

aukgccg.png

while static and not having action where the cpu would also play a bigger role. cpu is miniscule difference. this explains why xsx was behind in various comparisons. faster clocks better tools make the difference when consoles are close.....

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like despite the overheads it's too small to realistically aim for a higher framerate without introducing inconsistent results. I imagine they could lower Res to achieve that though if they wanted to introduce a 3rd mode.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the big thing to take away from this is nothing is happening in Photo Mode. Hard to say whether or not these numbers would hold when there's actual gameplay going on. Still, I'd welcome the option to bring the resolution down to 1080p with an unlocked framerate.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The results pretty much show exactly what was speculated before the consoles released. That the XSX would have a 10%-20% advantage over PS5.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like despite the overheads it's too small to realistically aim for a higher framerate without introducing inconsistent results. I imagine they could lower Res to achieve that though if they wanted to introduce a 3rd mode.

when there is action on screen, the cpu would play a role as well, and both consoles are very close on cpu. so makes sense we saw all those close comparisons so many times.....

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
DF often get in touch with developers regarding things like this.

I hope someone at Remedy is watching the video and pushes for a 1080p/lite RT 60 FPS mode.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
(I already watched the video)
I still don't quite understand how a photo mode can be a correct representative of performance in a super dynamic game like Control, like, combat situations are a pure shitshow with objects flying on the screen and other effects, it's not a ''static'' image.
Of course, this is does not matter for situations that wouldn't be much different in-game, like the HUB or any location without enemies/combat.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't quite understand how a photo mode can be a correct representative of performance in a super dynamic game like Control, like, combat situations are a pure shitshow with objects flying on the screen and other effects, it's not a ''static'' image.
Of course, this is does not matter for situations that wouldn't be much different in-game, like the HUB or any location without enemies/combat.

this video shows a comparison with action on screen.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
VRR wouldn't fix this when the game drops to just over 30 fps in some scenes. So no wonder Remedy decided to not offer an unlocked fps mode for Xbox. While the difference is not marginal, this great analysis done by DF shows that in practice (actual gameplay) that difference is less meaningful.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
How do they measure fps if the image is static? Or are they moving the camera for the tests and just displaying a still photo in the videos (after the beginning, which shows moving cameras)?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It's not a test or representative of performance of the game. It's not trying to be.

It's just an interesting example of a product that has the exact same settings/resolution etc between both platforms (rare) so it's a fair test benchmarking tool when you can find areas that dip below 60fps in the same scene. That's all. It's just academic. Nobody's playing the game in photo mode, obviously.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
DF often get in touch with developers regarding things like this.

I hope someone at Remedy is watching the video and pushes for a 1080p/lite RT 60 FPS mode.
It sounds like it wasn't a case of it being impossible, just amount of manpower on this project. Adding a 1080/60 RT mode won't do much in the way of selling more copies of the game, I can't imagine why they'd justify spending another couple months of person hours pushing it out.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin

Because benchmarks can only be done on exact like for like situations. And the photo mode is still rendering in real time.

Dynamic gameplay throws up way more variables.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
How do they measure fps if the image is static? Or are they moving the camera for the tests and just displaying a still photo in the videos (after the beginning, which shows moving cameras)?
While the image seems static, it's still being rendered in real time so the console is feeding a string of frames.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Our tools can measure per pixel differences - games that use TAA have minute differences in each new frame even if a camera is still and the image is perceptually very similar to the last.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Interesting results there.

Even if there is overhead there I still expect the biggest differences to be in timed exclusives potentially and as the gen goes on the differences should also be more frequent than now I think.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Up to a 36% increase on XSX is interesting I wonder if it's the memory bandwidth or gpu set up allowing that. Seeing CSX hitting close to 60fps unlocked I wonder if they can just let it unlocked for people like me with VRR

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's not a test or representative of performance of the game. It's not trying to be.

It's just an interesting example of a product that has the exact same settings/resolution etc between both platforms (rare) so it's a fair test benchmarking tool when you can find areas that dip below 60fps in the same scene. That's all. It's just academic. Nobody's playing the game in photo mode, obviously.
Yeah you are right, I had the wrong interpretation that the overall idea of the test was that if Remedy removed the frame rate cap results would be the same.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
16% average higher performance to XSX across 21 samples. Noice.
Seems about right going by raw hardware specs between the two consoles.

I would imagine these are the types of gains we continue to see moving forward (which frankly still isn't a ton. Smaller than the PS4 Pro / XB1X gap.)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love academic finds like this. This is great hobbyist stuff, even if it has little bearing on the normal play experience.

When I messed around in photo mode last night on my 60hz display (in the RT/30 fps mode), I was surprised how smooth it felt, and wondered if it was hitting an actual 60 fps in the area I was in. This seems to confirm that in some places, it can.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Up to a 36% increase on XSX is interesting I wonder if it's the memory bandwidth or gpu set up allowing that. Seeing CSX hitting close to 60fps unlocked I wonder if they can just let it unlocked for people like me with VRR
How will VRR work in the scenes that drop around 30 fps?

Not to downplay the work DF did in this video but I think it gives some false expectations, in reality the test sample size used in the video is too small to determine how the whole game would run in a practical environment, Control is a game of many variables regarding combat, where the character can reach (since she can basically fly) and very dynamic fx. It's a great video to compare but platforms but not to determine what the devs could or couldn't do to achieve better performance basically.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Our tools can measure per pixel differences - games that use TAA have minute differences in each new frame even if a camera is still and the image is perceptually very similar to the last.

This makes sense, thank you! Anyway I suppose it would be easier to measure when just panning the camera around for some seconds, right? And that would also be more akin to "gameplay" (at least, almost like walking around with nothing else happening).

I loved the Ghost of Tsushima photo mode btw because of the option to have animated things (wind, leaves, etc), it just paused the action but you saw the world still being alive!

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
The results pretty much show exactly what was speculated before the consoles released. That the XSX would have a 10%-20% advantage over PS5.
Just furthers the case that early games were not representative. This should be the expectation. Series X with a 10-20% performance gain over the PS5, but in most cases looking nearly identical. Just play where you want, there's not going to be a silver bullet where games look significantly better on one or the other.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How will VRR work in the scenes that drop around 30 fps?

Not to downplay the work DF did in this video but I think it gives some false expectations, in reality the test sample size used in the video is too small to determine how the whole game would run in a practical environment, Control is a game of many variables regarding combat, where the character can reach (since she can basically fly) and very dynamic fx. It's a great video to compare but platforms but not to determine what the devs could or couldn't do to achieve better performance basically.
I think this comparison was moreso to compare the XSX and PS5 in raw performance in like-for-like scenes without an FPS cap.

I don't think anyone should expect a 60fps RT patch to come to either console in Control.

The most interesting data we should gather here is the 16% average performance increase on Series X.

Oct 27, 2017
So XSX could have definitely hit 60 fps at 1080P and PS5 maybe could have with a slightly lower res than 1080. This game could have benefited a lot from a dynamic resolution.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just furthers the case that early games were not representative. This should be the expectation. Series X with a 10-20% performance gain over the PS5, but in most cases looking nearly identical. Just play where you want, there's not going to be a silver bullet where games look significantly better on one or the other.
Yep. It's like the PS4 Pro / XB1X all over again, but even smaller difference this time around.

The real fun will be when AAA exclusives arrive on each console, uniquely taking advantage of each of their particular hardware specs.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
VRR wouldn't fix this when the game drops to just over 30 fps in some scenes. So no wonder Remedy decided to not offer an unlocked fps mode for Xbox. While the difference is not marginal, this great analysis done by DF shows that in practice (actual gameplay) that difference is less meaningful.

Exactly. That's my take away from it too. It sounds like 16% difference should result in greater things. But the reality is developers are often aiming for one of 2 performance modes. 30 or 60. And 16% isn't enough of an advantage to push a like for like scenario to 60 from 30. They could unlock and you'd get better results from the X in certain situations compared to a locked 30 PS5 version. But it would also have a wildly fluctuating framerate resulting in an inconsistent experience and I'm.not sure anyone wants that.

Sadly I don't see many developers going that extra mile like insomniac either really. But that could be the only way we're realistically going to see the series X TF advantage come into play at all. If games start having a 60/RT mode that renders at whatever Res the system is capable of pushing to maintain that framerate. Might be something like 1080p on series X and 900p on PS5 or something.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I hope AMD can get a DLSS like feature patched into these machines sooner rather than later if it means we could get 60FPS ray traced games.

Because as others have said, it's not like anything is going on game logic wise during photo mode...so it's not like we're close.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. That's my take away from it too. It sounds like 16% difference should result in greater things. But the reality is developers are often aiming for one of 2 performance modes. 30 or 60. And 16% isn't enough of an advantage to push a like for like scenario to 60 from 30. They could unlock and you'd get better results from the X in certain situations compared to a locked 30 PS5 version. But it would also have a wildly fluctuating framerate resulting in an inconsistent experience and I'm.not sure anyone wants that.

Sadly I don't see many developers going that extra mile like insomniac either really. But that could be the only way we're realistically going to see the series X TF advantage come into play at all. If games start having a 60/RT mode that renders at whatever Res the system is capable of pushing to maintain that framerate. Might be something like 1080p on series X and 900p on PS5 or something.
I mean, 16% is the difference between 51-52 FPS and 60FPS.

It's not some crazy advantage but it's enough that it could come into play down the line, especially with VRR displays. More realistically, it's going to come into play by way of the PS5 having a minutely lower rendering resolution than XSX. Just like last-gen w/ PS4 Pro and XB1X but even less of a gap.

Overall though, I would agree. The TF advantage on XSX will likely mostly be taken advantage of in 1st party exclusives. Less so in multiplatform games. Just like the SSD I/O advantage on PS5 will be mostly taken advantage of in 1st party exclusives, less so in multiplatform games.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just to put it out there, the one scene that is in the 30s is the only scene that was in the 30s on XSX. The Corridor of Doom is not representative of the majority load that the game experience. So VRR would not fix the Corridor of Doom on either console (which is so stupidly expensive on every platform), but on XSX, VRR would actually offer a meaningful improvement over the 30 fps lock I feel. XSX spends a lot of scenes in 50s.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's not some crazy advantage but it's enough that it could come into play down the line, especially with VRR displays.

Which should never be the priority of any developer imo..VRR is a crutch for inconsistent performance. If a Dev is doing their job well it should not need VRR at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game isn't actually static, nothing is moving

given these differences, I'm quite excited to see what MS studios do with the hardware

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras

It's not some crazy advantage but it's enough that it could come into play down the line, especially with VRR displays.
By the time VRR is something devs care and regular consumers start to adopt, we'll probably have a mid gen refresh already. Today VRR support is only for dare I say less than 3% of the consumers on consoles.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Which should never be the priority of any developer imo..VRR is a crutch for inconsistent performance. If a Dev is doing their job well it should not need VRR at all.

Also have to think if Remedy used VRS Tier2 like Gears 5 giving another 10-15% more performance might be enough to get that 60fps too. Early gen games never be as good we will see next year and years later