• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol apparently unless you make sure the trailers show the parts where the frame rate tanks and makes the game look like garbage, you're lYiNg tO cOnSuMeRs.

thank god studios like this don't feel that they have to seriously compromise their innovation and interactivity to make sure it runs perfectly well on technology that was already middling when it released six years ago. hopefully they can iron out the more serious performance issues with some kind of dynamic res mode, but the idea that you're getting a game with this level of fidelity and interactivity to run locked on that old hardware is totally unrealistic

Someone should have told Remedy that before they released this.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Awful, I would be furious if I spent full price for a game with such terrible performance issues. I called it though, Quantum Break is one of the worst experiences I've had on PC performance wise and I fully expected Control to suffer the same fate and it does. Hopefully they can fix it fast.

Jan 9, 2018
This game looks great, I won't get it since I only have a base PS4 and a gamin laptop...

I hope they improve the performance so I can play it one day.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Control runs fine on the X.

It absolutely does not. I've tested on two different Xbox One Xs with SSD external and internal drives and it drops to the mid teens in framerate constantly. I had to give up because at one point in chapter 6 I keep dying because I can't move out of the way of projectiles because it basically stops responding. Stop peddling this BS.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely does not. I've tested on two different Xbox One Xs with SSD external and internal drives and it drops to the mid teens in framerate constantly. I had to give up because at one point in chapter 6 I keep dying because I can't move out of the way of projectiles because it basically stops responding. Stop peddling this BS.

That sucks. I'm about two hours in and besides a few quick hitches and odd stutter when unpausing, it's been pretty solid on X. I guess later areas will be worse.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
lol apparently unless you make sure the trailers show the parts where the frame rate tanks and makes the game look like garbage, you're lYiNg tO cOnSuMeRs.

thank god studios like this don't feel that they have to seriously compromise their innovation and interactivity to make sure it runs perfectly well on technology that was already middling when it released six years ago. hopefully they can iron out the more serious performance issues with some kind of dynamic res mode, but the idea that you're getting a game with this level of fidelity and interactivity to run locked on that old hardware is totally unrealistic

I mean then don't develop it for platforms you don't care to optimize for? I love Remedy, but I'm not going to sit here and say that this is acceptable. The game should run the best it can on consoles. They are fixed platforms. You know exactly what each one can and cannot handle. It's not like they didn't know it had issues either.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the frame rate issues I saw in a One X stream of this game were horrible, but holy hell the other platforms are orders of magnitude worse. How is this at all acceptable?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if, as they mentioned in the video, the frame rate dips are related to the game maxing the allocated memory, and the X1X version is so far ahead because of how much more RAM it has?

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Well, i'm with DF on this, besides some dips in certain areas, it's fine. Sucks on your end.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I've just noticed something strange in the PS Store description for Control. It says "Compatible with PlayStation 4". I made a ton of different searches (US PS Store) and couldn't find another game with the same phrase or a similar one. Check it out, it's weird.

Maybe it means absolutely nothing. Or perhaps it's indeed a truly next-gen game which also barely runs on the PS4! (half-joking?, idk).

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a false dichotomy. If they have to release a game this year on these consoles, then performance should be tailored around them. If they can't do that, then they should wait, because otherwise they're selling a poor product to their consumer.
Even if they waited a year they would still release it for base current gen consoles. Most devs wont be able to afford targeting just next gen users.
It may result in better sales of the game but it hurts long-term as it degrades trust in the developer.
This is ERA bubble talk. Most consumers won't mind the frame drops if the game is good.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ, all these "developers should release broken products rather than restrict their creative vision" takes are something else.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Late gen games tend to run rather poorly on console usually - same as last gen. I still think those Drops though are too much and they should dial back as much as possible to make it run better on base machines. Maybe though their Design brief makes that impossible. Not every game Design can run well on consoles this old and with these CPUs and mem Set up (yes, less than 8 GB is a very small amount of usable RAM in 2019).

This game is heavy with very good reason on every Plattform right now - it is graphically at least completely top Tier, doing things in an intense high quality way. Even without ray tracing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be waiting for some updates I think before playing this on PS4 Pro. Normally chat about egregious frame rates on Era is pure Era bubble but in this case poking around the internet and watching the DF stuff I might wait a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that the problem is about hardware, instead of about developers failing on a fundamental level of their craft, does not sound convincing to me. When your game has a 1+ second load time between a paused and non-paused state on most running platforms, then, yeah, maybe you are not doing a good optimization job.

This whole nonsensical thing of "oh their vision is so radical and powerful that no known platform is currently able to implement it" is just ridiculous. Player experience should be the number one priority here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I don't know, as bad as my laptop runs this, seems like I dodged a bullet getting it on pc. This game needs optimization in every single platform, it's absurd that you need the top tier just to make it stable.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Imo. base XB1 and PS4 performance is unacceptable.
They should have delayed it. Or drop the resolution even more.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
And Devs will still fail to optimise for them.

To be fair, the Jaguar CPUs used in current-gen consoles are unequivocally, incontrovertibly awful. AMD's Jaguar/Puma line isn't in any way, shape, or form designed for gaming; it's intended for low-power personal devices like tablets and budget laptops, and unfortunately for MS, Sony, and game developers in general, it was the best SoC-level CPU AMD had to offer at the time.

Last edited:

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Always happens near end of gen. It is what it is. Make sure to look at performance before you buy folks.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Well, i'm with DF on this, besides some dips in certain areas, it's fine. Sucks on your end.
it actually baffles me that john concluded the video with "its mostly fine", considering the very footage he shows and even says"maybe id consider not playing the game on base consoles until its patched" sustained drops to 10-15 fps.

It's not "some dips". Base ps4 and xb1 is fucking atrocious.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
i don't think the people defending this watched the video or read the article

the frame drops for base consoles are damn near unplayable

if it's not locked, you think it just shouldn't be released on the platform?

stop being obtuse, no one is asking for perfect fps (although it'll be good sure) but what we have for base console is bad
they could have either optimized more or dial back some features
everyone knows the hardware, no one's got huge expectations from it. how the hell don't you work with that in mind?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
it actually baffles me that john concluded the video with "its mostly fine", considering the very footage he shows and even says"maybe id consider not playing the game on base consoles until its patched" sustained drops to 10-15 fps.

It's not "some dips". Base ps4 and xb1 is fucking atrocious.
Yeah DF can be strange in their wordings. Critics have been weird too. "Performance issues". 9/10, 8/10. Almost every firefight in Control leads to same kinds of effects and destruction. Media needs to be harsh to make a statement that this is unacceptable.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last of Us 2 will run better and look better than this game.
That's my expectation.
A single platform exclusive that has all the time and money they need that's gonna be released next year is gonna look better than a multi platform release from this year ? I would have never imagined such thing like that

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Outline why I cant compare 2 third person shooters. I'll laugh if one of them is 'give them a break theyre releasing on 4 different platforms and they dont know the hardware'
You can compare them as much as you can compare Fortnite and Control. But to answer your question, both games have completely different philosophy to game design and how the engine needs to support that. The Last of Us 2 is not a transforming metroidvania world filled with reflective surfaces and illuminated by indoor spot lights and with tons of interactable objects having accurate physics applied to them.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Late gen games tend to run rather poorly on console usually - same as last gen. I still think those Drops though are too much and they should dial back as much as possible to make it run better on base machines. Maybe though their Design brief makes that impossible. Not every game Design can run well on consoles this old and with these CPUs and mem Set up (yes, less than 8 GB is a very small amount of usable RAM in 2019).

This game is heavy with very good reason on every Plattform right now - it is graphically at least completely top Tier, doing things in an intense high quality way. Even without ray tracing.
true, but the performance mostly tanks when there's a cross gen version of a game. Like Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor which ran horrid on PS3 when compared with PS4. Exclusives on PS3 ran like a gem even during it's last legs despite having a complex architecture. PS4 and xbox One with PC like setup internally would help developers to prioritize things better to get a smoother experience, no?

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, the Jaguar CPUs used in current-gen consoles are unequivocally, incontrovertibly awful. AMD's Jaguar/Puma line isn't in any way, shape, or form designed for gaming; it's intended for low-power personal devices like tablets and budget laptops, and unfortunately for MS, Sony, and game developers in general, it was the best SoC-level CPU AMD had to offer at the time.
Bad optimization will bring down the strongest CPU. Jaguar cores or not. Doesn't really matter. At least next gen will be able to brute force such games for a while, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

This isn't a case of downporting to weaker hardware. Remedy knew their target specs before they even wrote the first line of code.

Oct 27, 2017
true, but the performance mostly tanks when there's a cross gen version of a game. Like Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor which ran horrid on PS3 when compared with PS4. Exclusives on PS3 ran like a gem even during it's last legs despite having a complex architecture. PS4 and xbox One with PC like setup internally would help developers to prioritize things better to get a smoother experience, no?

While I personally didn't have a problem with it, there were a lot of complaints about Last of Us on PS3's framerate. In that case I was perfectly happy with the compromises Naughty Dog made to deliver the game they wanted to make.

No system is immune and sometimes it's just a lead designer or director saying "I don't care about the framerate, just give me 20 enemies on screen". Then the tech guys and artists have to make it work as well as they can.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Bad optimization will bring down the strongest CPU. Jaguar cores or not. Doesn't really matter. At least next gen will be able to brute force such games for a while, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

Oh, I'm not saying poor optimisation isn't a concern on higher-end systems, just that a console version of a game hitting a CPU bottleneck isn't necessarily due to that as the target processor is so decidedly low-end.

This isn't a case of downporting to weaker hardware. Remedy knew their target specs before they even wrote the first line of code.

You're not wrong, but just to be clear, the issue in this case isn't the CPU; even the FX 4300, a seven-year-old quad-core AMD CPU, can manage ~60fps when paired with a high-end GPU.

Last edited: