• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
User Warned - Platform Warring
Consoles history is full of poor performance games.
In a era where they are so desperately trying to be a PC is kind of romantic. <3

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me really sad as a base PS4 owner. This game looks so up my alley, but in its current state, I can't see myself getting it. Here's hoping this gets some significant patches to make the performance better.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
30fps and crap performance. At some point you have to ask yourself as a dev are all those effects worth it?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The point is every developer have ideas that if added makes their game run like shit, so they cut it. You have to develop for the hardware people are playing on now, not next gen. "Their vision was too ambitious" is not an excuse.

Sounds like PS3 and Xbox 360 games in 2011/2012 (Far Cry 3 comes to mind).

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
There are tons of posters in that other thread that claimed they didn't notice any performance issues. DF tells another story. The game running in the teens-low twenties for long stretches on the consoles is nuts. And players claim to not notice a single frame drop... It really makes you wonder how many people really notice performance issues and how important it is for DF to report on it.

I typically notice poor frame rates. I quit Just Cause 2 because of the 15fps while driving. I'm only a couple hours into Control on the Pro, but I haven't noticed any drops. I also really like the game and wouldn't stop playing if the performance does get worse.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a damn shame. I've been watching this game considering giving it a go since there's nothing else for me lately, but I'm gonna pass for now. Pro performance is unacceptable, so I'm going to have to wait til the EGS deal is over. By then though, who knows if I'll even still be interested given more stuff may be coming out at that time.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
A developer has to develop what they want, however they want it, if you are not satisfied by the end product simply ignore it and move on. No one has the right to tell a creative team or person to do something else because of X or Y.
I don't think anyone is trying to dictate what devs do; this isn't an ethical argument about dev rights and the oppression of creativity.

But it's perfectly reasonable to expect games to run to an acceptable standard on a technical level, just like it's reasonable to expect songs not to have random audio drops or films not to have a boom mic in shot.

Skitso

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
What an unnecessary snipe at him.

Well, it wasn't meant to be a snipe at Thomas who genuinely seems like a cool guy, but more of a request of an official comment on the situation: can it be fixed or even made better? Should be quite quick and easy to drop a comment like "we are aware of the performance issues. We are sorry and will work our asses off to fix it" or something in that manner. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings... I'm just a bit annoyed as I really waited to play this and bought it day one and now I just have to wait if it can or will be ever fixed.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I typically notice poor frame rates. I quit Just Cause 2 because of the 15fps while driving. I'm only a couple hours into Control on the Pro, but I haven't noticed any drops. I also really like the game and wouldn't stop playing if the performance does get worse.
do we know if this video included the day one patch? Perhaps that's a factor. Also, I read the beginning is more stable than later on. Keep us updated on your experience.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. As a PS4 Pro owner, I was disappointed to see so many drops into the low-20s during combat. The base console performance is just unacceptable.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I think this is due to the game simply stopping all rendering when you're in the pause menu. I can even hear the typical noises my PC makes when it's lowering its clocks and fan speed while I'm in the menu, and then things ramping up again as soon as I go back to the game. Didn't use any monitoring software to confirm, but I feel pretty confident that's what's happening.
I would not be suprised, Alan Wake did something similar on PC if I remember correctly.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I have to wait a year... and buy it at 30€. Hope the devs made good money because I feel like the game will not sell good with this unacceptable console performance, the Epic exclusive PC release and almost no marketing.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
This is the nail in the coffin for people that think it's too early for a new generation of consoles. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I was ready in 2016 and the half step consoles didn't go far enough.

For what it's worth I'm playing Control on the X and loving it. Can't wait to see what Remedy do when they push next gen hardware to its limits.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then wait until next generation or make it PC-exclusive. I don't give a shit about a developer's vision if they can't at least make their game playable on the hardware where the majority of the consumerbase would be playing it.
If they want to release next-gen games just release a next-gen game. Manipulating people into buying catastrophically badly performing games on base hardware is just going to make people less likely to support them in the future.
what ridiculous, hyperbolic comments. thank god Remedy didn't compromise on their vision. at the end of the day, console performance issues will be a very minor footnote (if that) in the way people talk about this game in the history while the game's creativity, interactivity, and phenomenal design will live on and continue to be talked about for years and years as it becomes easier to run without issue on more powerful hardware. unless you think Bayonetta's terrible console performance is all people care about when discussing that game in 2019 and somehow soured people from checking out any future Platinum games. but nah it isn't lol. people talk about its amazing combat and gameplay. those things, their vision, will live on for years. console performance won't.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Do you seriously think Remedy will release a PC-exclusive and avoid the console market?
No one is footing the bill for a PC version and it was a self-funded game.

Things will get worse with 2020 titles.
And? So consumers can suck it up and play versions which barely run coz developers wanted to make more money off them without even providing a decent experience?

Devs can aim for 2080ti graphic card as base for all i care. When you release your game on a platform atleast provide a decent playable experience. Your defense is nonsense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
what ridiculous, hyperbolic comments. thank god Remedy didn't compromise on their vision. at the end of the day, console performance issues will be a very minor footnote (if that) in the way people talk about this game in the history while the game's creativity, interactivity, and phenomenal design will live on and continue to be talked about for years and years as it becomes easier to run without issue on more powerful hardware. unless you think Bayonetta's terrible console performance is all people care about when discussing that game in 2019 and somehow soured people from checking out any future Platinum games. but nah it isn't lol. people talk about its amazing combat and gameplay. those things, their vision, will live on for years. console performance won't.

They could've waited to release the game on hardware that could run it.

Nobody's going to remember a game nobody played.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because every time I saw any footage of this game I kept thinking, the consoles are gonna struggle with all these effects lol Pretty surprising that the One X holds up so well. Definitely getting that version.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could've waited to release the game on hardware that could run it.

Nobody's going to remember a game nobody played.
yeah wait years to release a finished game because it has some drops that are difficult to replicate and QA

lol you think nobody is going to play Control? i can't tell if you're being serious

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
yeah wait years to release a finished game because it has some drops that are difficult to replicate and QA

lol you think nobody is going to play Control? i can't tell if you're being serious

If it runs this shittily on base hardware, word will spread and people won't buy the game. 11 frames per second is shameful performance.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it runs this shittily on base hardware, word will spread and people won't buy the game. 11 frames per second is shameful performance.
no sorry this is just ridiculous. this is projection and wishful thinking on your part. the game is selling very well and based on every pre and post release indication it's going to be remedy's most successful game in a long time. and thank god for that, it's a wonderful game

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
no sorry this is just ridiculous. this is projection and wishful thinking on your part. the game is selling very well and based on every pre and post release indication it's going to be remedy's most successful game in a long time. and thank god for that, it's a wonderful game

Great, so I guess all is forgiven, huh? Who gives a shit about people being hoodwinked out of their money because PC gamers get catered to.

It's shit. You shouldn't support developers who don't strive for baseline-acceptable performance across all platforms.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I can't help but think if dying in your game requires a 25 second load screen you've made some objectively poor design decisions.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great, so I guess all is forgiven, huh? Who gives a shit about people being hoodwinked out of their money because PC gamers get catered to.
lol, you're not being hoodwinked out of anything. buy the game or don't buy it. but you're completely projecting when you say no one is going to buy this game because word of mouth will spread about the frame rate. you are completely overestimating how much the general audience cares about that type of thing
It's shit. You shouldn't support developers who don't strive for baseline-acceptable performance across all platforms.
don't tell me who i should or shouldn't support. god, if they stripped out the interactivity and dynamic elements to make it run slightly better on extremely outdated tech that would make the game so much worse. thank god they didn't. hopefully they can patch it to iron out some of the issues though!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Looking at the DF video and from my personal experience, the drops aren't difficult to replicate at all. In the video, the game drops frames across all consoles in the exact same area against the exact same enemies.

I don't see how asking a developer to ship a game that runs at a stable framerate on base(and pro) consoles(especially the console it was marketed for the most) is asking for them to "sacrifice their vision". it's on them, not the consumer to ship something that doesn't regularly drop major frames. It's clear that they put out a an unoptimized product. This is coming from someone who is enjoying the game so far.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the DF video and from my personal experience, the drops aren't difficult to replicate at all.

I don't see how asking a developer to ship a game that runs at a stable framerate on base(and pro) consoles(especially the console it was marketed for the most) is asking for them to "sacrifice their vision". it's on them, not the consumer to ship something that doesn't regularly drop major frames. It's clear that they put out a an unoptimized product. This is coming from someone who is enjoying the game so far.
no, it's not that it's not optimized. it's that the hardware is extremely weak and outdated

s y

Nov 8, 2017
no, it's not that it's not optimized. it's that the hardware is extremely weak and outdated
So if Remedy patches the game and shores up a lot of the performance issues, it's still not unoptimized? It's not as if Remedy hasn't put out poorly performing games in the past. That response sounds like someone defending From Software's shitty frame pacing on console.

I don't know how you type that response out yet scoff at people criticizing Remedy for putting out a game in it's current state on most consoles.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
fuck. i was super interested in grabbing this but the only thing i can play it on is the base PS4. i can put up with a few drops but parts of that video looked borderline unplayable. hopefully things can improve in patches.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
30fps is bad enough, you should at least hit that target.

I'm only about 90 minutes in, but haven't experienced this once. Fingers crossed.

I am 3 hours in and at the first boss and I have not had that happen as well. I am playing on the "X" and I have heard of this happening but I have not had that happen. I did do a "restart" of my "X" before I started playing the game though. This in the past has fixed some issues with the OS and certain games. A restart is using the restart option in the settings or turning the console off by holding the power button down for about 10 seconds wait a few then restart the console. Not sure if that has helped this issue not appear for me, but it worth a shot for those on "X" that have encountered this.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if Remedy patches the game and shores up a lot of the performance issues, it's still not unoptimized?
yes. just the way you're talking about this indicates a lack of understanding of the optimization process in general. if Remedy finds a way to patch this and make it run completely smooth on base consoles, i would be astonished. hopefully they can find a way to fix some of the more egregious drops, maybe with a dynamic res system or something along those lines, but some further optimizations being theoretically possible don't mean the game is unoptimized. it's just a very very advanced game running on very very weak and outdated hardware. sucks, but this always happens at the end of console generations and i can remember a lifetime of playing games with much worse performance issues than this that are regarded as classics and masterpieces for their time

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The 1X is the only console with decent performance and even that isn't particularly good. The Pro struggles way too much for a premium console and the bar consoles are rubbish, basically unplayable.

The performance issues really start to show up after about 2 hours when you get your powers.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm so torn about Control. I applaud Remedy for pushing tech further, and making a game that looks and plays (on PC and X1X anyway) amazing, but at the same time, it feels almost irresponsible to release the game in such a poor state on base consoles. The majority of console owners, and people playing the game in general, are going to be playing on the base PS4 and X1/X1S, and the way this game "controls" during these action sequences is astonishingly bad. Like, the worst performance I've ever seen this generation.....and I've played through and finished Just Cause 3. I'm just having a hard time understanding why they'd put the game out there in this state when the majority of players are going to experience an extremely rough version of it.

Remedy mentioned that they didn't have to crunch to finish the game, so that makes be doubly worried that we might not see performance patches that fix these problems. Control may just be too ambitious for its own good.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Awww man. I got it cheap on Amazon AU and with Astral Chain coming out tomorrow and the DQ11 demo I'll have stuff to play while waiting for a patch

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having issues with cutscenes? I'm playing with headphones & the audio & video are not in sync at all.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game has good physics. Very good. But it's not a looker

there should be no way to not have stable 1080p30 minimum. And i say minimum.
I play on one X and even today on thread I said it look super soft. Nice but nothing mind blowing but very soft

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Apparently Control's PS4 launch sales are twice as much as the Xbox's. Shame that potentially, a lot of playstation owner's first experience with a remedy game will be marred by terrible performance. Way to make a first impression huh?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
A true disappointment considering the core game is so great. Maybe the first game that made me wish next gen consoles were 2019.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Shame they couldn't tone down the effects a tad to hit 30 consistently, but isn't it meant to be a bit rough on PC too?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Did you even read the article or watch the video?

Game is obviously not (very well) optimized for base consoles.